Xanax
    liberty is offline New Member

Default Xanax

Some of you may recognize me from one of the recovery stories of pain medication addiction. I am still standing strong with this situation and am feeling much better although I just recently had a really ruff day and got a little weak here is my story:[:I]

Recently I was given a prescription for Xanax, I was told it would help me with those moments of toughness.
    I was having a very tough day last week. I am a musician and I was practicing my Sax last Saturday, I was feeling unusually down about everything and I broke from my typical pattern of staying clean and positive and basically I was hit over the head with a gigantic 2x4 that almost took my life.

I took 1mg of Xanax at about 2:00 in the afternoon. I took about 3 shots of whiskey over the course of a few hours after that. I was in my rehearsal studio continuing practice and last thing I remembered I had just finished one of my last pieces of music and my awareness left me until about 11:00 that evening.

I am surrounded by an unbelievably supportive family, thankfully.
    One of my family members is very well trained medically and so on. They found me on my bed in a Coma. My vitals were waning gigantically. They were able to pull me out over the course of about 4 hours, they were about a half an hour away from calling the ambulance. Although they wanted to do everything they could to save me independantly because we are in the public eye so much. They quickly came to the conclusion that my life was more important. I have never been that out of control in my life and I was told that I was seconds from losing my life. Thankfully they saved me without me having to go to the hospital.

If this individual was not so good at what he does I may have even ended up brain dead or worse dead.
    I am an incredibly lucky individual and I wanted to share this with everyone.
    I am no light weight either, maybe physically but not necessarily constitutionally. I have an extensive history of drug abuse, this came as quite a shocker to me.

PLEASE be careful out there to everyone, I am glad I am here to share this story.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this please post. I would like to hear of any other experiences.

Thank you, Much Love[8)]

Liberty
    ONE PLANET ONE TRIB

livid is offline Member

I would question the idea of being prescribed xanax when you had obvious problems with the painkiller addiction. Not that it matters as it seems you just took as directed anyway. But the doctor's judgement seems a bit shaky nonetheless.

A guy I know was in a 2 month coma up until recently. He is slowly recovering. Still not sure it was benzos (but he has a history of taking lots with alcohol)... haven't heard from him directly to ask just wtf happened.
    People's reactions to meds (esp when mixed with alcohol) is very unpredictable. I've taken massive doses (no exaggeration, huge amounts) of ativan and xanax just to "wake up" a couple days later with no medical attention. And hear stories of people dropping a couple having a few drinks and that's it for them.

Grant319 is offline New Member

So what's your band's name?

Grant

Bosli222 is offline New Member

I would also question the prescription of xanax to a previous addict of opiates. There's always second addictions whether it be another pill or something less harmful like spending money or internet addiction. I would definately stop taking the xanax and talk to your doctor or even stop seeing that particular doctor because it sounds to me like either he doesn't know your previous history or isn't doing what he is supposed to.

Now for my questions and PLEASE don't think I'm trying to offend you.

Benzodiazepines cannot directly kill you, it's impossible. Yes they can put you in a minor coma which can take you for days or maybe even weeks. There's also the withdrawal or sudden stop of use of xanax which can cause a seizure. The first thing you did wrong was take the whiskey and definately had an effect on the xanax. Now, I have done my share of stupid things, for example taken 20+ mg of xanax which is nothing compared to people I know but I do not believe you were that close to death unless you had another serious medical condition which you chose to omit. Like I said, Benzos cannot directly cause death and with a small amount of alcohol no doubt it can knock you out and make you forget hours of your life but it can't depress breathing or anything like that.

I believe you did something you shouldn't have, you should stay off all drugs after any addiction. Remember this situation and think next time before you take something.

Casey55 is offline Member

Liberty,

Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to take most mental health drugs with alcohol? A warning should have been on the pill bottle, but with the internet, always look up the drug you are going to take before you start it so you will all the information there is to know about it.

Bosli is right, benzos alone are pretty safe and wouldn't kill you, but when you mix them with alcohol, it could.

Toxicity and Side Effects

Fatal overdose with benzodiazepines is rare. When it does occur, the combination of benzodiazepines and alcohol, with or without opiates, is often the cause of death.

With the introduction of chlordiazepoxide (Librium) in 1960, and because of the relative safety of benzodiazepines, these agents rapidly replaced barbiturates as sedative-hypnotics. They cause significantly less respiratory depression than barbiturates and, consequently, are rarely lethal in an overdose.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2121.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    If you think you or someone else may have taken an overdose of this medicine, get emergency help at once. Taking an overdose of a benzodiazepine or taking alcohol or other CNS depressants with the benzodiazepine may lead to unconsciousness and possibly death. Some signs of an overdose are continuing slurred speech or confusion, severe drowsiness, severe weakness, and staggering.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...di/202084.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------

J.D. is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by livid

I would question the idea of being prescribed xanax when you had obvious problems with the painkiller addiction. Not that it matters as it seems you just took as directed anyway. But the doctor's judgement seems a bit shaky nonetheless.
    The doctor's (lack of?) judgment was the first thing that came to mind for me too. I'm a benzo junkie, and if I can get xanax for a hangnail, I'll take it. Or ten. That's just the way my body and my brain works with benzos. So I live with it. I've had major blackouts on many benzos. (I mean varieties along with quantities.)

J.D. is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by liberty

Some of you may recognize me from one of the recovery stories of pain medication addiction. I am still standing strong with this situation and am feeling much better although I just recently had a really ruff day and got a little weak here is my story:[:I]

Recently I was given a prescription for Xanax, I was told it would help me with those moments of toughness.
    Please don't take offense: You say you are standing strong with your pain medication addiction. Yet you felt pain the other day and what did you do? Took a pill. Maybe you are not doing as well as everyone had hoped. Maybe you should hang out here more often - all I see is love and support everywhere. Pain drugs are pain drugs, regardless of their class. (Yeesh, I put anbesol on a toothache and feel the need to snort a line!) Please don't find me preachy - I just know I have been there, sometimes I am there still. And it's hard, still. I wish you only the best!

addict8 is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by liberty

I took 1mg of Xanax at about 2:00 in the afternoon. I took about 3 shots of whiskey over the course of a few hours after that. I was in my rehearsal studio continuing practice and last thing I remembered I had just finished one of my last pieces of music and my awareness left me until about 11:00 that evening.

PLEASE be careful out there to everyone, I am glad I am here to share this story.
    If anyone else has experienced anything like this please post. I would like to hear of any other experiences.
    Thank you, Much Love[8)]
    Liberty
    ONE PLANET ONE TRIB
    Hey I'm new here but I'm not knew to Xanax(Alprazolam)or any Benzodiazepines, I have been on and off of this medication since I was thirteen for Anxiety related probs. I have also suffered extreme cases of the downs and done what you have done in the early stages of your post. But you might say more full on, I have been dubbed suicidal.

A month and a half ago I took some 48mg of Xanax2mg, 8600mg of Epilim200mg, a 375ml bottle of Vodka, left my gas tap on in my kitchen and lay unconcious on my bed after calling the Mental Health Team(MHT) that was meant to be looking after me, for some, at least 15-18 hours till the next day when the MHT called my sister(next of kin) telling her that I had called them and I had overdosed the day previous. My sister tells me the conversation went something like
    Them "Hi -----. Have you see -ME- today"
    Sister "No I haven't, why???"
    Them "Your brother called us yesterday telling us that he'd just consumed all his remaining Xanax and Epilim"(They didn't know about the drink or the gas till they were filled in some by my sister)
    My sister was horrified. She came around the next day,

Here is what I remeber of the awakening: my sister shaking me, speaking in a brash voice that I can't understand through the fog of thoughts slamming into me as I come to, the next thing I know is there are paramedics in my bedroom(at the time I did not know where I was and was fully freaked out, nor did I recognize any-one). No choice after the pills, Vodka and gas tap being on all night(1 bedroom unit closed) they took me into hospital I didn't fight them I couldn't even tell they where abulance officers.

My sister drove behind the ambulance I could see everything spinning and coming towards me but at the same time just felt like a piece of unskeletal flesh, unable to move anywhere. Not able to answer questions I was being asked. We arrived at the hospital apparently 3:00pm I actually have occassional flash backs that it was at night but anyway, I was a huge mess. I couldn"t walk, talk, communicate at all, could barely see, and have only what a flash back memory concealed opens up to me.

I ended up with going through 3 dripps in 6 hours, 4 the next 8 hours, then back to 3, then 2 over 8 hours, then I was released into the Psychiatric Ward some 2 days later(Released after 3 days). All in all I to this day don't know what happened to me on that day, yeah, I f*ck*d up big time, but in my mind I lost more than that together with what felt like 2 weeks)

Like liberty says if you f*uck with benzos be careful, if you f*uck with any meds at least for gods f*ck*ng sake know what you're doing. I nearly lost myself due to non-rememberance after 1 2mg Xanax, 3 Epilim 200mg, and 2 drinks of vodka. Look after yourselves out there and remember there is always someone out there who wants you around, who loves you and so on and so forth, I mean I'm still a tripper but I am a lot more careful now then I was before.

Sorry about the lenght but this is my story...
    If you Liberty wanna talk more or any of ya please feel free to emailme at:
    metalsledgehammer@hotmail.com...
    THANX

P.S. The band I have only recently left is called Personality Deficiency...

<===========================>

catblack is offline New Member

I have been addicted to Xanax for a long time, which i recieve from my therapist for anxiety. what she doesn't know is how i abuse them. 2 days ago i was feeling very depressed, i took 30 1mg of xanax along with about 20 rivotril and 20 nurofen plus with about 4 shots of whisky. don't get me wrong i wasn'[t trying to kill myself , i just wanted to sleep to make the pain go away and i slept for approx 15 hours , woke up and felt oik ecxe0t a bit sick in the stomach. i'm not sure if you can become so used to these pills that they wont do any serous harm but they never seem t do anything but make me sleep. a year ago , my brother commited suicide from leading a hose from his exhaust to his car in his garage. if i ever did feelo as thought i seriousoly wanted to kill myself i think i'd take a box of xanax and do the same thing but for now i just use them to sleep.
    depression is hard to fight and sometimes life seems worthless and soetimes i feel i'm happy to go and i've been suffering with depression for over 20 years.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by catblack View Post
    I have been addicted to Xanax for a long time, which i recieve from my therapist for anxiety. what she doesn't know is how i abuse them. 2 days ago i was feeling very depressed, i took 30 1mg of xanax along with about 20 rivotril and 20 nurofen plus with about 4 shots of whisky. don't get me wrong i wasn'[t trying to kill myself , i just wanted to sleep to make the pain go away and i slept for approx 15 hours , woke up and felt oik ecxe0t a bit sick in the stomach. i'm not sure if you can become so used to these pills that they wont do any serous harm but they never seem t do anything but make me sleep. a year ago , my brother commited suicide from leading a hose from his exhaust to his car in his garage. if i ever did feelo as thought i seriousoly wanted to kill myself i think i'd take a box of xanax and do the same thing but for now i just use them to sleep.
    depression is hard to fight and sometimes life seems worthless and soetimes i feel i'm happy to go and i've been suffering with depression for over 20 years.

I don't understand if you are simply telling your story or if you are wanting help. You're obviously going to die if you continue doing what you are doing. It's impossible for someone on a forum to lead you out of the state of mind you seem to be living in. You really need to come clean with your therapist.

No way I would undermine your professional help by suggesting anything behind her back. I was addicted to TONS of benzos for over 25 years and I drank a bottle of scotch a day while taking them. I finally stopped drinking during the 90s. But I too should have died many times from the excessive combinations of substances I consumed.

You need to talk about this with your therapist and soon. Suicide is the chicken way out, a permanent BAD solution to short term problems. I will include you in my prayers. God bless.

Default Xanax

A lot of people don't realize that taking tranquilizers like Xanax can result in a DUI charge, even if they are legally prescribed and aren't mixed with alcohol. Always use caution when taking prescription drugs and getting behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenKavinoky View Post
    A lot of people don't realize that taking tranquilizers like Xanax can result in a DUI charge, even if they are legally prescribed and aren't mixed with alcohol. Always use caution when taking prescription drugs and getting behind the wheel.

Darren ... I think it goes without saying that people can't legally drive around messed up and placing others lives in jeopardy while intoxicated on RX drugs of any kind. I would certainly hope that people realize this as it's an obvious NO BRAINER. God bless.

Trevor1189 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenKavinoky View Post
    Oh yeah definitely can. I got pulled over the 2nd day I was on clonazepam for swerving on the road. Luckily the cop understood that it was new medication and just asked if there was someone I could call to drive me home. He said just wait in the car if you try to leave you WILL get a DUI. Very nice guy, but my screw up none the less.

eeyore8205 is offline New Member

Exclamation xanax

i have a very important question and if u read this and know the answer please send me an e mail to eeyore8205@yahoo.com with the answer please ASAP. i had a friend who took 4 or 5 xanax the purple ones is all he knows, any ways i need to know how many days it will take to get out of his system and some side effect of them all in his system like that. please get back to me asap to the e mail address above. again the e mail address is:

eeyore8205@yahoo.com

cause i just happened to stumble upon this website and idk if i will again

ty n advance...
    hh
    eeyore

hadenough2009 is offline Junior Member

Some of these guys are giving you a really hard time Liberty. Don't be offended. As you can see in most of these responses, most of the people on here are truly caring and helpful. You may have embellished your story, but that's not for anyone on here to judge. This is supposed to be a supportive place and if you feel like you need/want the support of this board, then that's your right. You are obviously crying out for help. No matter how much Xanax you take with how much alcohol, it is a dangerous thing to do. I think you know that. Just live one day at a time, one sober day at a time. If you are having trouble doing that, you need to get help.
    Last edited by hadenough2009; 04-01-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

I'm blessed to be in recovery for many years from addiction to prescription narcotics, alcohol AND benzodiazepenes ( the class of drug that includes xanax, valium and clonopin ) - and I just wanted to pass on to those of you who want help - there IS hope. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. You do not have to live this way.

The benzo medications are INTENDED for short term use for anxiety. They are not intended to be used for years on end. There are far safer, less addictive medications that can help with anxiety.

Please take a look at this site, if you want more information:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/

This site explains some of the horrors of this addiction. One of the most insidious aspects of these drugs is that it has been determined that regular use of them will actually INCREASE anxiety, rather than to reduce it. In essence, taking the drug will lead to more need of taking the drug.

Even taking these drugs as prescribed leads to addiction - that's the nature of the drug.

As I read some of these posts, I recognized my own history with such meds - including the desperate desire to "escape" - or even suicide. These mood changes are directly attributable to benzodiazepene addiction. Please take a look at the site... and see if you recognize your own use there. You are certainly NOT alone.

There IS help. There is a serious danger in trying to detox off these medications alone - and I urge anyone who wants to do so to try an in-patient detox program. Once your body is clean of these drugs, you will need help to deal with anxiety - and to deal with just facing life on life's terms, without drugs. That help can be found in a 12-step program (such as AA or NA) -- I can not begin to tell you how my life has changed since finding recovery. It's absolutely amazing... and it's available to anyone who is willing to try.

Try asking yourself, "Am I happy with the life I am leading?" If the answer is "no" - it's up to you to change something. Keep an open mind, be honest with yourself about your drug use, and be willing to ask for help.

Let go of any preconceived notion of what you believe life will be like if you are clean and sober -- I promise you, it's even better.

Default Artist658

I too was a HUGE benzo abuser for over 25 years. Tons of xanax, klonopin and valium were the primary DOC along with ALL the opiates and assorted garbage. But I agree with your post. And for what it's worth we've been referring members for a long time to Dr Helen Ashton's manual for benzo detox at www.benzo.org.uk as Dr Ashton is one of the foremost authorities on benzo detox.

It's the safest way to detox off benzos without facing such a liklihood of seizures, electric shock syndrome, all kinds of nasty side effects of benzo w/d that I suffered prior to knowing about her methods years ago.

Bad benzo detox makes opiate w/d seem very simple not meaning to minimize anyone's pain on this forum. It's just that benzo detox REALLY sucks. Keep that in mind when you use them people. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-05-2009 at 07:49 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.