Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Xanax
    yummers is offline New Member

Default Xanax

Hello all...
    I'm diagnosed with depression/anxiety. So far have beaten the depression (yay!) but am still on the Xanax, for the anxiety. I am on 4 mgs/day of regular Xanax. I was considering going on the Extended-Release Xanax that's out now. I was wondering if some of you have made this switch, and how it has affected you.
    I tend to notice that with the 'regular' Xanax, it kicks in fast, but wears off fast... I don't like the feeling of it wearing off and the anxiety creeping back in... Does this happen to other people who take 'regular' Xanax too? Does Extended-Release Xanax prevent this from happening, for those who have made the switch?
    Please, please, share your thoughts, opinions, experiences.... I need some guidance as to which direction to take here.
    Thanks so much - hang in there!!! I'm with ya!!!

sleepless is offline New Member

xanax vs.extended release xanax

I take xanax for a sleeping problem. I have tried all the products available for sleep and xanax works better on average than anyting else. my Dr. had me try the new xanax xr(ext. release). For sleep no good. the very reasons you do not like the regular xanax,quick onset, quick half life, is why I like it for sleep. the xanax xr should work great for you. very slow getting out of your system.

livid is offline Member

never taken the ER. But yes, xanax hits you fast, and unless you are taking a large dose doesn't last too long. I was given ativan to help with side effects from paxil, like not being able to sleep, tremors, constant moving of my leg when sitting almost like it was involuntary... it helped some, but I still didn't sleep well. Tried xanax and could be asleep in no time, and pretty much felt total relaxation.

Casey55 is offline Member

If you were taking Xanax for sleep, then you wouldn't want the extended release. Since you are taking it for anxiety, you need to be on it daily. With the extended release, you only have to take it once, probably the morning, and not again till the next morning. This extended release gives you constant, steady, relief over a 24 hours period and you don't have to remember to take other doses during the 24 hours. I take Wellbutrin and when it came out in XR I changed right away. It worked every bit as well as it did before. If I were you, I would change.

Casey

yummers is offline New Member

I am taking it for anxiety, not so much for sleep. Although I DO LOVE how it helps me get to sleep (within 1/2 hour of taking it!) I have problems sleeping as well, but I attribute that to the anxiety. I.e., if I haven't taken a Xan and go to bed (say, if I took it 2 hours before bed), I just lay there and keep thinking and thinking ... mind spinning, racing ... So I wonder if, with the Xan XR, it will keep the anxiety LOW/GONE almost ALL THE TIME since it's slowly being released all day. Know what I'm trying to say? I just don't like the short life of regular Xanax. I like how it makes me feel - I like how it conquers the anxiety, and I agree, I like how it helps me get to sleep. But I don't like how quick it wears off, and how I can literally FEEL anxiety creeping back up as it wears off. And I worked SO HARD to get off antidepressants... I was on Effexor XR for a LONG TIME and have weaned myself off of it about 2 months ago. I still feel good (not depressed) but still have anxiety and still have trouble sleeping. Vicious cycle. I get anxious when I can't sleep, and I can't sleep because I'm anxious. RRGH. I just do NOT want to go back on antidepressants. I don't like the sexual side effects, to be really honest. And I have tried other stuff. I can't take sleep aids like Ambien because I had what Dr called a 'psychotic episode' where I did/said all this stuff and I have NO MEMORY of doing so... I scared the >>>> out of my boyfriend and family that time... Somehow gotta work on the sleep issue. The anxiety is just there, it isn't JUST because I can't sleep, but the sleepless-issue definitely aggrivates it. Sorry if this isn't really an ANSWER to anything, just commentary. Any thoughts? Thanks to those of you who have written so far. I do appreciate it.

Bosli222 is offline New Member

I've been on nearly everything for my panic disorder from SSRIs to, obviously, benzos. Xanax is simply great and now with Xanax XR there are an ocean of new oppurtunities for this amazing drug without the caliber of addiction. I love Xanax, it's a little piece of heaven. God must of sent it to earth for man, like manna or something.
    Best Legal Drug Ever...

sfc420 is offline Member

My doctor has got me on Zoloft for depression and Xanax for what has become chronic panic attacks. He had me on Ativan (.5 mg 3 times daily) for anxiety and sleep, but i was too groggy so he switched me to 2 mg Xanax XR. If I take one of these am I gonna feel sedated? How does the time release work? Anyone who has compared the regular Xanax bars to the time release bars and can tell me how to make my time released ones work similarly please tell me

livid is offline Member

There are times I would KILL to have a bottle of xanax 2 mg bars... the straight ones, no xr stuff for me. I prefer the immediate effect, and not lowered effect over time.
    Did I mention I'm a "reformed" benzo addict? Not so reformed would be more appropriate I guess.

sfc420 is offline Member

Thats what I'm asking though, if I wanted these Xanax 2mgs for recreational use are the XR ones as useful? Thanks

livid is offline Member

if you break them before taking them there is no time release effect.

It's like with oxycontin... they are time released, so people crush them first.

zeukii is offline New Member

If you are looking for help and not a high Xanax XR is the med. for you. It is a maintenance drug. There is no initial 'rush' or 'let down'. My prescribed dosage keeps me 90 to 100 percent anxiety free from day to day. Mind you, I am like most folks with anxiety and suffer from depression and insomnia. So, the Xanax XR works well in conjunction with the Wellbutrin for depression and Seroquel for insomnia. It is so very important that you get to sleep every night or at least some sleep or all the drugs in the world won't properly address your anxiety. I've only come to this conclusion after thirty years of trying to get it right....I've trying to feel 'normal'. Good luck.

pksk is offline New Member

Smile xanax

PLEASE be very careful in the use of ANY prescription drugs. During the last 3 mos. I watched my son come off extended use of xanax given to him for anxiety; he never took more than what was prescribed, but went thru , well, you know to get off that med. I also watched my husband DIE from doctors giving extremely large numbers of meds, same type illnesses, so, as I said, BE VERY careful with these rx's. They feel good, but soon wear off and you will want more, and as I said, I watched my husband die, and my son go through withdrawal to get off this med. There are others, not so ADDICTIVE, that will do the same thing. Doctors sometimes, very innocently, assume their patients will not become addicted, but some DO!!! I wish you well in your search for something to help you sleep, but not at the expense of your life. Find a good psychiatrist and therapist and work through your depression and anxiety; it will definitely help you find other meds to help you. Have definitely seen it work like I have said.
    Good luck and Godspeed,
    pksk

Jamie2000 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by yummers View Post
    Hello all...
    I'm diagnosed with depression/anxiety. So far have beaten the depression (yay!) but am still on the Xanax, for the anxiety. I am on 4 mgs/day of regular Xanax. I was considering going on the Extended-Release Xanax that's out now. I was wondering if some of you have made this switch, and how it has affected you.
    I tend to notice that with the 'regular' Xanax, it kicks in fast, but wears off fast... I don't like the feeling of it wearing off and the anxiety creeping back in... Does this happen to other people who take 'regular' Xanax too? Does Extended-Release Xanax prevent this from happening, for those who have made the switch?
    Please, please, share your thoughts, opinions, experiences.... I need some guidance as to which direction to take here.
    Hey. I am suppose to be taking 0.5 mg. tablets twice a day for anxiety and nerves.......but I have found that if I take this twice a day, I'll be way too sleepy to function! I usually take one or two at night to help calm me or help me go to sleep, but it does work quickly, but it wears off quickly too. It also gives me an appetite, not a huge one or anything like that, but it does make me want to eat, which is a good thing for me cause normally I'm not interested in eating. Do you know of anything else for nerves that won't make someone tired or make their eyes red? I don't think what I take is addictive. Sometimes I go days without taking it. I get the generic alprazolam 0.5 mg. I wasn't aware of any time released xanax! Why do people say it is so addictive? I know I don't get any kind of 'high' feeling from what I take! nor do I want a high feeling. I'm also concerned about liver and kidney diseases from long term use of alprazolam. I wish there were some kind of natural relief from anxiety or that 'you're getting on my nerves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to bad' feeling...(I have an adhd super hyper 13 year old...which of course includes a learning disability and dyslexia) so that's why I take the generic form of xanax. Okay, I'm rambling,.....sorry bout that!

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Hi guys,

I have been prescribed Xanax for a little over 1 year. For example I got my new script of 60 1mg xanax on Thursday of this week. It is now Monday and I have none left. The problem is that I don't remember taking them. This morning I went to get one or two and there was the empty bottle. I know I take more than is prescribed to me, but what is the deal with me not remembering things. My mom was telling me stuff that I did (like eating things in the middle of the night) and I have no memory of such actions. Is this normal with Xanax. Maybe I should switch to Klonopin?? Please anyone who has/had this experience let me know how you did. Thanks.
    My email is - snoclaf94@msn.com

Serpensotia is offline New Member

Hello all...
    Hey!
    I have taken Xanax XR for like 6months 2 years ago. I have also tried XANAX. Now I started taken them again. I desided to stick with XANAX insted of XANAX XR. There are several reasons for that.The XR version is NOT so good as standard. It does work longer, but it is weaker. And since you are taking 4mg a day, which is A LOT, I could advice to stick with Xanax and not Xanax XR.
    Here is a example- I have problems with my boyfriend all the time- I am always jelous and he always drives me nuts with his "friends" who tend to love going out with different whores.Cool, right? I used to take XR and still sit like a moron with a panic attac+depression for SEVERAL hours before the pill started working. In this moment, the same ******************** is happening, so I took 2mg Xanax 1 hour ago and now..I JUST DON'T GIVE A ... )))) Believe me, Xanax is much much better than XR one.Anxiety and panic go away faster AND for a longer period of time. Plus, the side effects of XR are stronger than Xanax standard ones. It is up to yoy to decide, but as a Xanax addict, I can only share my expirience and opinion.
    Good luck!!

Serpensotia is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9494 View Post
    I have been prescribed Xanax for a little over 1 year. For example I got my new script of 60 1mg xanax on Thursday of this week. It is now Monday and I have none left. The problem is that I don't remember taking them. This morning I went to get one or two and there was the empty bottle. I know I take more than is prescribed to me, but what is the deal with me not remembering things. My mom was telling me stuff that I did (like eating things in the middle of the night) and I have no memory of such actions. Is this normal with Xanax. Maybe I should switch to Klonopin?? Please anyone who has/had this experience let me know how you did. Thanks.
    My email is - snoclaf94@msn.com
    Well, the same thing here!! I don't remember taking Xanax and I tend to eat too much. Like now, I don't remember hoe many pills I have taken-2 or 4. That sucks. But...Xanax is believed to be the weakest of such medication. If you take so much Xanax, it will be HELL to give it up. I have been through it already, trust me. Just try to reduce the number of pills and you won't be forgetting so much.
    Good luck!

sparkey is offline Junior Member

Serp,

That happened to my daughter with ambien. She would do crazy things and take her whole bottle of pills without knowing. Thank god she only had like 4 left in the bottle that night she did it. I would change meds and FAST!!

HydroAddict is offline Junior Member

Maybe I should switch back to Klonopin. How long (on average/ballpark, etc.) does Xanax last? And how much longer does Klonopin last?

Thanks...

ogctrauma is offline New Member

Talking xanax killer withdrawals!!

i began taking 2mg bars about 3yrs. ago. I started recreationally like maybe a half to a whole bar per day, but eventually led to obvious tolerance. By the time i approached the two year mark, i was up to 3 to 4 bars a day!!!

anyways, point is after two seperate occasions i went a week without them and those were indescirabale terror withdrawls!!!...sorrry opiate and >>>>>> you ain't got ******************** on xanax addiction. I had two seizures and was taken by ambulance twice due to the drug not being in my system.....moral of the story is if you're going to get off xanax-DONT STOP COLD TURKEY!!!!

you can die!!..seriously take it slow and lower your doses....i'm happy ro say i've been clean for a year now.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ogctrauma View Post
    i began taking 2mg bars about 3yrs. ago. I started recreationally like maybe a half to a whole bar per day, but eventually led to obvious tolerance. By the time i approached the two year mark, i was up to 3 to 4 bars a day!!!

anyways, point is after two seperate occasions i went a week without them and those were indescirabale terror withdrawls!!!...sorrry opiate and >>>>>> you ain't got ******************** on xanax addiction. I had two seizures and was taken by ambulance twice due to the drug not being in my system.....moral of the story is if you're going to get off xanax-DONT STOP COLD TURKEY!!!!

you can die!!..seriously take it slow and lower your doses....i'm happy ro say i've been clean for a year now.

You are so right about benzo addiction. You can die. Seizures are common. I have had them too and was rushed to the hospital. There is another forum for benzos specifically. It is www.benzoisland.org. They even use the exact same software package drugs.com uses. There is a method of a tapered detox called the Ashton method. It is the safest way to detox from benzos. I really suggest you check it out if going through a benzo detox. The Ashton method takes a little while, but it's safe and painless.

xyther4523 is offline New Member

i am currently on xanax 2mg at night for sleep and .25 once a day for acute anxiety..
    i used to be addicted to benzo's in the past..xanax bars mostly but valium thrown in there. i started out with one or two bars a day..the most i ever got up to was around 30 bars. (not a day, just the most i took at once)
    the most a day i would take would be around 10-15 just depends how many i could get. getting off them was HELL. i have now lost the "barred" out feeling to them therefor, using them for medicinal use is easy.
    works GREAT. just dont abuse this med..VERY VERY addictive. i asked my doctor if it was addictive and his reply was that the amitriptyline was more addictive than xanax (i was on 300mg for sleep)
    i call bs.

ive tried switching over to klonopin but the sedation just wasnt there (2mg at night). i know the half-life of klonopin is longer than xanax, but what else is diferent?

also, i feel like i am becoming 'addicted' to the xanax. i get 'manic' if i dont have it. i am on no other medications, just xanax.

DeanieJ is offline New Member

Default Xanax newbie here.

Most of my family suffer from depression and insomnia. I tried lexapro. I slept, but felt really out-of-it all the next day. I tried adjusting the times I took it, but the weirdness (tingling in my jaw/throat area kept coming in waves. I stopped that one. Then, took Ambien. No matter how tired, just couldn't drop off to sleep until a couple of hours before time to awake. Difficult to function on 2 hours sleep. Changed me over to Ambien CR and that one worked pretty well. Didn't have to take it every night to get rest. Now, due to changes in my life caring for my elderly mom and mom-in-law (both in mid-late 80's and poor health), I've been given xanax in .5m dosage. From what I understand, that's a pretty low dosage?
    My question is, I don't want to take them together, but how far apart is it ok to take a xanax and then before bed, an ambien? I've been taking a xanax about 8p.m and the another around 10 and I sleep pretty well or just wait and take the amibien, but sometimes I'm so wired it takes the ambien some time to kick in.

I sure couldn't use some experience stories. Thanks.

doctorsteve is offline New Member

Default xanax bad news

out of all the benzos try to stay away from xanax....literally deadly to come off of if not done carefully over an extended period of time.......there are much safer and effective drugs available(here come the rolling of the eyes and moans) but I promise you if you can get off of it, and still have the terrible rebound anxiety ask your physician for seroquel just as effective not deadly to taper off of and you will thank me down the road when you try to get that xanax monkey off your back. It is almost as bad as getting all wired on opiates except you can die coming off of bezodiazepines,period.Xanax is the toughest benzo to kick.Please trust me on this one.Live well, Steve

vduda is offline Member

Deanie,

I don't know if doctorsteve is a real doctor or if just plays one on the forum. But with joking aside he is absolutely right about Xanax. I took 50 mg of Xanax a day for a decade along with huge amounts of every prescribed opiate known to man both oral and intravenous. This fatal dose of Xanax and opiates left me dead 3 times. Thank God for epinephrine and defribulators. So they brought me back. But some of you may not be lucky if you go down the road of benzo use, especially Xanax. Like Steve said, it can kill you if you go cold turkey. Tappering with a long acting benzo (Diazepam or Klonopin) is usually a good way to wean yourself off the Xanax. I have permanent damage to my CNS and now I have to take a very low dose of diazepam or I will have seizures with a slue of physical symptoms. I am not addicted, but rather dependent...if I could I would throw those meds into the ocean. Also I am prescribed .5 mg of Xanax as needed for panic attacks.

The reason I started taking benzos was due to a very bad Anxiety Disorder. Basically, I have been taking them for 20 yrs, but the first 10 yrs I took it solely medicinally. Up to the time i was 30 I was prescribed 40 mg of Valium a day, but I would only take 20 mg a day and would often skip a day and at times not take them for months. But when I turned 30 when I was placed on opiates for several medical reason the doctors also changed me over to Xanax. Still doesn't make sense. Long story short, been off the opiates for 9 and half months and lasted 5 months off the benzos. I went cold turkey and it nearly killed me. Again, prior to detox I had died three times from the combination of opiates and benzos. Still at five months I was having major withdrawals: seizures, profuse sweating, nausea, cramping, electric shock syndrome, crippling insomnia and much more. Neurololgist and Psychiatrist performed diagnostics and found that I had done permanent damage to my CNS. They placed me on a very low dose of diazepam and in a week almost all the withdrawal symptoms were gone. So now I take 8 mg of Diazepam and .5 mg of Xanax a day. I have come a long way from 50 mg a day of Xanax. Usually, I only take the Xanax when i have a panic attack. Sometimes I miss a dose here and there of the Diazepam. Besides the damage I did to my CNS, I am in perfect health and feel awesome. It is a miracle considering I was given two weeks to live just before I admitted myself into a detox center just over 9and half months ago. Every organ system was failing, my body couldn't take it anylonger.

One thing I don't agree with Dr. Steve is the use of Seroquel. It is an antipsychotic medication and will turn you into a zombie. Stay away from Ambien (a hypnotic sedative) because it can cause amnesia and you could end up driving your car around all night and not evern know it. And for God sake stay away from the SSRI's and SSNR's because the side effects are horrible and they are very addicting. The withdrawals are nearly as bad as the benzos.

Yo, the Xanax should be enough to help you get to sleep, just take it like ten minutes before sleep because it is very fast acting. Try some Valerian Tea or L Tryptophan. L Tryptophan is an amino acid that help to produce sleep. But like I said, forget about Ambien or you'll end up on your roof hollowing at the moon. And try and see if you can switch from Xanax to Diazepam. It is a very good benzo. Unlike Xanax that has a half life of 3 hours or so, Valium has a half life of 30 hours. For sleep you need to take it an hour before bed time. Hope this helped. God Bless

VJ

DeanieJ is offline New Member

Thumbs up Xanax

To DoctorSteve & Vduda
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm hooked, so there shouldn't be a 'withdrawal' from the xanax. I don't take it every day and usually, when I take it, one .5 dose is enough to calm me. Seems like most of the posters are taking 20.m and up. With that much, I would be zombie-ish and I can understand the need to wean yourself off.

As for the ambien, when it was first prescribed, my husband was working a different shift, so he was able to monitor my behavior after I took. I don't have the sleepwalk/eating/driving problems. I also don't take it every night. When I'm ready for bed (yawning, head droopy) and I go, if I lie down and my mind starts to race & I know I won't be able to drift off, I take one.
    Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

MEZA53 is offline New Member

Default I regret the day that I started on Xanax

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsteve View Post
    out of all the benzos try to stay away from xanax....literally deadly to come off of if not done carefully over an extended period of time.......there are much safer and effective drugs available(here come the rolling of the eyes and moans) but I promise you if you can get off of it, and still have the terrible rebound anxiety ask your physician for seroquel just as effective not deadly to taper off of and you will thank me down the road when you try to get that xanax monkey off your back. It is almost as bad as getting all wired on opiates except you can die coming off of bezodiazepines,period.Xanax is the toughest benzo to kick.Please trust me on this one.Live well, Steve

Over 18 years ago I was prescribed Xanax for anxiety and an SSRI (now Zoloft) while I was going through a bad divorce. My anxiety level was so high I ended up i the hospital at least 4 times. All these years later I am still on Xanax. I am prescribed 1 mg four times a day but try and limit mine to three times a day. It is sooooo embarassing when I am run out and the doctor is not in and blah, blah and I have to go without for up to 3 days. I make myself and everyone around me crazy. If you can use other stress relievers do it!! I have read several posts and am considering asking my doctor to try me on the XR. I might have better luck with it. For those of you that use as a rec drug, please do not! I have had to take my daughter more than once to get charcoal or pumped. not a nice thing. At least she is alive. I am not preaching or passing judgement but out of concern I beg you to try and stop now before anything bad happens.

KRKA is offline New Member

Hello all...
    Hi

If you have severe Panic Attacks a Fast acting Benzo is for you. Otherwise Give the XR a Try.

Doctor T

KRKA is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsteve View Post
    DoctorSteve is correcct.

Short halflife, High impact receptor inhibitor. Severely decreases GABA uptake after long term use. All my Patience exprience Very High anxiety even with a non aggressive Taper period and a lot of support..

Good luck

Doctor T

skbeany is offline New Member

I Saw Where You Put Its Deadly To Come Off Of Xanax. Well Ive Been On Xanax For About 4 Years. I Only Take It Before Bedtime. Unless I Need It. I Dont Like To Take It During The Day Cause It Puts Me Straight To Sleep.im On 2mg.sometimes I Will Go A Day Or 2 Without It Do You Think I Will Have Withdraws When I Decide To Come Off?and I Will Not!!!take A Depression Medication.

jones.jt84 is offline New Member

Default Sleep issues with Xanax ?

Once or twice a week I take a Xanax 1mg before bed for anixety, which produces a wonderful night's sleep. On some of the nights that I do not take it, I have problems sleeping. Before bed, my body feels tired due plenty of exercise and I yawn quite a bit. No stimulants (other than coffee in the mornng) or alcohol. It seems that I get plenty of REM sleep but never get into a deep sleep stage. It feels like I am dreaming all night and a have a half-awake sensation throughout the night.

Could it be that this Xanax-induced deep sleep on some nights deprives me of a deep sleep on other nights ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast