Went cold turkey off Lexapro!
    lblue is offline New Member

Unhappy Went cold turkey off Lexapro!

Hi, I am new to this. I am looking for other people getting off of lexapro.
    I went cold turkey about four weeks ago and I am absolutely miserable.
    I feel so out of it. I feel like crying all of the time,I feel like eveything is fuzzy,I feel the "zapps" everyone is talking about. I feel like I am about to loose it. I quit taking it because of the sexual side affects. I probably shouldn't of went cold turkey. I haven't even told my Dr. that I quit taking it, I'm afraid she will be mad at me. Should I start taking a small dose then cut back slowly(like I should of in the first place?) I'm glad I found this site. I hope I can be of help to someone else too.
    lblue

ZAPPER is offline New Member

Cool

I took lexapro 10mg for four weeks and went off cold turkey due to it giving me terrible headaches. The first three weeks my headache got worse and three weeks later I still have headaches and numbness in my head. How long did you take lexapro? and how much?
    Quote Originally Posted by lblue View Post
    I feel so out of it. I feel like crying all of the time,I feel like eveything is fuzzy,I feel the "zapps" everyone is talking about. I feel like I am about to loose it. I quit taking it because of the sexual side affects. I probably shouldn't of went cold turkey. I haven't even told my Dr. that I quit taking it, I'm afraid she will be mad at me. Should I start taking a small dose then cut back slowly(like I should of in the first place?) I'm glad I found this site. I hope I can be of help to someone else too.
    lblue

realitedious is offline New Member

Hi,

I too went off of Lexapro cold turkey! First off all congratulations that you have come this far. Although, if you are experiencing side effects of this magnitude I would suggest you immediately tell your doctor. Your doctor is not your friend they are your health care provider and your health is in jeopardy. It doesn't matter whether they would be "upset" with you. If you don't want to tell your doctor right out I suggest saying that the lexapro has stopped working for you and you are seeing a resurgence of previous symptoms and that you want to try a new medication. Tell ur doc EXACTLY what you want in a medication. There are drugs that do not have sexual side effects such as Wellbutrin (and in some cases actually increased libido).
    Any new medication may take some time to start working just as the lexapro did.
    If you are considering going back on the lexapro try taking 5mg. and see if that helps appease some of your symptoms while you wait to talk to your doctor.
    Take Care of Yourself Your the Only You on the Planet!

butchy yost is offline Member

recently went off lexapro cold turkey too. it was the worst!!!!!! but I couldnt stand the daily headache anymore either, it would start about 1-2 hours after taking the lex and last for hours without taking advil which they tell you not to take with lexapro!! ughhh.
    on prozac now, feel better, not incredible. at least no headaches, and no more super angry or emotional crying and my temper was crazy for the three weeks I was off...
    I would definitely not recommend quitting lex cold turkey...taper down or switch to a new med first and then taper...good luck to all

mcdoweld is offline New Member

Default Quitting Lexapro Cold Turkey

First I would like to say that I was diagnosed with Chronic depression 6 months ago. I, too, tried to quit Lexapro cold turkey. The first time I tried to quite which was a month ago. I had terrible withdrawals from severe depression & hopelessness feelings & suicidal thoughts. At that time I quite for three days to only having to go back on them. I was frustrated because even though I was taking them I was still depressed (it was only being suppressed than relived) for me I felt like I was doing more damage to my organs than controlling my depression. I went on the web to do some research on a natural product called "VILIFT" it is 100% guaranteed or your money back. So I felt I had nothing to lose. So I made the decision to try to quite Lexapro cold turkey (again) when I received my product. I am on my 6th day of taking this product with fantastic results. I have not had any withdrawals due to quitting Lexapro & I feel more like my old self, happy & joyful & loving life & myself again. I feel a lot better knowing that the ingredients are vitamins & a couple of herbs. I now don't have to worry about what the long term effects will be since it is not a prescription drug. Which all antidepressants have side effects.
    Last edited by mcdoweld; 02-12-2009 at 06:54 PM.

aedelglass30 is offline New Member

Default what were the side effects in beginning treatment?

lblue
    Did you feel sort of out of it the first day you tried it?

queenmomamanda is offline New Member

I also went cold turkey because of the sexual side effects. My main withdrawal side effect is headaches. I was wondering how long the withdrawal side effects last? No zaps or nausea, just bad headaches, which I never had before. I am on Wellbutrin now, and overall feel better off the Lexapro.

queenmomamanda is offline New Member

Update - I have been off the Lexapro for about a month now. No more headaches or dizziness and the sex part is much better. Hooray!! Wellbutrin rocks!

Margaret S. Modena is offline New Member

Default Withdrawal symptom of Lexapro

I started cutting back on 10 mg of Lexapro about a month ago and immediately started itching (tingling sensation all over my body). Can anyone tell me when this will stop or if it is related to cessation of the Lexapro.mmodena2@aol.com

Lowride015 is offline New Member

Default Lexapro is horrible for me!!

Six months ago I started Lexapro for an anxiety disorder. A month into the medicine I had alot of headaches, so my dr. gave me Wellbutrin (Buspar). The headaches did not stop and I was withdrawaling from the Lexapro, lightheaded, blurred vision, migraines. So six months later I am still dealing with the lightheaded and blurred vision, I feel as if everyday is like a dream. I have had an MRI and it came back clear, I am currently seeing a Neurologist and hadn't told him about Lexapro so he has put me on Nortriptolyne for which he believes that I have a migraine problem. The medicine only clears up some of the pressure not the vision and lighthead. I have an appointment in two weeks and I am going to discuss the belief that Lexapro withdrawal has altered my mind for six months. I am going to ask him if an SSRI medication can have a withdrawal affect even six months later and what could clear it up. If anyone has any information please let me know!!!
    Last edited by Lowride015; 04-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.

tmbklyn29 is offline New Member

Angry lexapro bye bye

I recently stopped taking lexapro 10mg too im a 29 yr old female I couldn't take da weight gain yes it calmed me down a lil! Loss of interest in sex! So anyway I have a constant headache n yeah I have been acting kinda manic though I don't have bipolar disorder I also have not wanted to interact with ppl too much! I was wondering when does this pass like how long will this be in my system n do the headaches go away?thnx

MissLaneyJ is offline New Member

Wink Quitting "cold turkey" too

Hi. I'm not sure I can be of any help to anybody about this, but I'm glad I found other people trying to stop taking this drug. I have been taking Lexapro 20mg for a couple years now. I have a daughter at home and want to "feel" again, get excited about things, and enjoy life. Taking Lexapro I was just going through the motions of life and felt like an outsider looking in. I took my last 20mg pill on 7/1/09. I have NOT told my doctor about my plans to stop this drug (she never listens to anything I say anyhow). I, so far, have had no withdrawl symptoms besides a bit of dizziness which could also be from a pain killer I started taking the same day. After reading all these horrible things, I am terrified. It's been a pretty mellow week. I seem to be in good spirits, have more energy and a better attitude about myself than I did while taking Lexapro (it caused weight gain for me -made me even more depressed). I hope I didn't speak too soon. Keep posting please. It helps when your not alone!!!!!!

BAGBOY is offline New Member

Thumbs up Not cold turkey !!!!!!

I have been taking Lexapro for 7 years so all i can tell u please dont try going cold turkey anymore just try a less of a dose.The reason i say this is because i tried doing the same thing three times and each time i would think of killing myself more every time so each time u try to do that it makes your mind play tricks on u.I know its hard but my sex drive was the same has yours it does change so dont give up.Please tell your doc they will help and i hope i have also.

klopper22 is offline Member

Here's my antidepressant history.

1999: Got off alcohol & began taking prozac. I took 10 mg of prozac for about 8 months while taking phentermine. I lost 75 pounds of fat while continuing weight training and got ripped - six pack abs and all. My wife wanted me to quit using prozac to improve our sex life again. So I did and went to ice cream for my comfort. Gained a lot of weight back.

End of 2002: Got back on prozac.

A few months later: got on Paxil and gained a bunch more weight.

2004: began 40 mg daily of Lexapro

2007: began Effexor because Lexapro felt like it wasn't working well anymore.

First of 2008 until a month ago: Took Lexapro 40 mg daily. I decided to switch to prozac because Lexapro is $40 a month/prozac is $5 a month. Also, I don't feel like I need a strong antidepressant now.

I went from 40 to 20 mg Lexapro and began taking 20 mg prozac. Did that for a couple of weeks & went down to 10 mg Lexapro and 40 mg prozac. After 2 weeks of that, I am totally off Lexapro and taking 60 mg prozac.

Doing it this way, I didnt have any zaps or brain shivers. I will stabilize on prozac for a while at this dose (60 mg daily) and in a couple of months, slowly decrease my dose to 30 - 40 mg a day while taking phentermine again. Lose the weight i have to lose and stay at 20 - 30 mg prozac. I have been thru the cycle before of gaining all the weight back so I am wiser now to keep it off.

My benefits are: spending less money and using a far easier to deal with antidepressant.

I would NEVER suggest cold turkey for drugs like Lexapro, Effexor, Paxil, etc. They are just too strong.
    Last edited by klopper22; 07-07-2009 at 10:06 PM.

kodiak14 is offline New Member

Default Some people don't have withdrawal symptoms for long :)

Like many of you, I decided to go off of Lexapro.

I was on Lexapro for around 9-10 months when my doctor suggested I try Pristiq. I was on it for 3 months, during which time I gained 20 lbs and felt completely numb.

I went back to the doctor and she put me back on Lexapro. But, like many of you, the side effects outweigh the need at this point, so I decided to go off.

I went cold turkey last Friday and I am happy to report that my withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, etc.) have completely subsided!!

I wanted to come on here and report that for some people (like myself), it doesn't take weeks of brain zaps to go off of Lexapro. After reading a lot of these boards, I was so scared that I would be miserable for weeks. But, alas, one week later and I feel amazing.

I know how rare and lucky this is, but I just thought I would chime in

michelle.a is offline New Member

Default quitting

I am 100% comitted to this. Just flushed my bottle down the toilet. I felt like an alcoholic pouring their last bottle down the drain. I don't want it here tempting me on a bad day!

I have read that it takes 45 days to fully clear your system. That makes sense to me because I usually have a MAJOR episode after being off of it for about 6 weeks. Of course I freak out and run right back to it. Not because I can't stand it but because I think "I really must need this stuff". I never realized what was going on. My brain is trying to reboot and control itself without this EF-ING drug!

During that first 4 weeks I have headaches but I actually feel GREAT! Better off of the stuff than when I take it. I don't get this brain zapp thing ( I don't think). But from week 4-6 I gradually have more depression and more anxiety. Not everyday, just fits of it. 1 bad day, then a good day... I think that when i make it thru week 6 and 7, I will be fine. my brain will find its own balance again.

I did find the greatest stuff. Its called RESCUE REMEDY. Any good health food or vitamin store should have it. it is drops u put under your tongue. GREAT for anxiety and panic. Works in a few minutes!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-11-2010 at 10:19 AM.

itsjustme3 is offline New Member

You should def. taper off of Lexapro. I didn't taper long enough and had the brain zaps. I hated it. It lasted about a month and finally got better. If you are still feeling bad, please go back to the dr. I gained about 45 pounds on Lexapro is the reason I took myself off of it. I am looking for something else to take because I am not feeling like I should. I do have some anxiety and bad days. I am thinking about Klonopin. I has some really good reviews and no one says anything about weight gain. I wish the very best of luck to You!!!!!

Bad idea is offline New Member

Unhappy Wow !!! Have I ever screwed up !

I've been taking 20mg of Lexapro for probably 7 years now .... and due to insurance reasons, I went COLD TURKEY about a month ago .... BIG, BIG mistake !
    Because my life's history includes some heave illegal drug abuse ( clean 5 yrs now ) ... I often seriously underestimate the power of prescription psyche drugs. I am now a damned mess from the cold turkey off Lexapro.
    I started getting the "out of it" and dizzy, tingling feeling the very first week. It has not subsided, but now other withdrawal effects are kicking my butt ! Hoplessness, fear, anxiety, and deep, dark suicide thoughts are wreaking havoc on me ! This has kind of surprised me, as I figured the worst was over ... Think again !
    So please ... to anyone reading this, please hear me : This is SERIOUS withdrawals ! DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY !!!!! If it were not for my knowledge of bad withdrawals from hard drugs ... and understanding it IS the withdrawals which will pass .... i would NOT be here to type this !
    I am heading to the Dr today, biting the $160 per month bullet, and getting right back on Lexapro ! ( please note it works well for me, without the side effects most others have ) ... HTH

carolynfaye31 is offline New Member

I just had to take a pill last night after being off lexa[pro for 3 days , started sort of having shaky loke feelings. Think i will go to doc on end of month and talk with him. Wont take the 20 mg everyday tho every other day , due to the weight gain.

c3royce is offline New Member

i was on it 3-4 years..10 mg

decided to stop taking it...cut to 5 mg for a week, and then threw my bottle away.

Wild Ride...I wish I could put it into words, but, wild ride. Im in Cognitive Behavior Therapy now, trying to piece my life back together. I stopped taking it in...September. So its been awhile

anxiety city is offline New Member

Default No more anti depressants

I went on lexapro 10mg last Nov, felt sluggish, my flat tum felt bloated, constipation, numb, couldnt even cry anymore, weight stablised, when I wanted to lose 7kgs to get back to my goal weight, last tues i got sick virus and was at home ran out of my tablets as my script was at work, I went cold turkey no brain zaps, bit spacey during the day and the only bad thing is last 2 nites i've woken up around 3am wide awake, ive noticed though already feeling less bloated, more 'awake' able to work out far better at my boxing classes and yeah i'm going to manage my down days and anxious moments with my breathing and exercise, my body just doesnt like any anti depressants and i want to get back to my fit toned self, which already is happening, its falling off me, do what works for you.

anxiety city is offline New Member

Default weight gain

and how many people experienced weight gain? I lost about 6kilos' but that was more due to boxing and good eating and only on 10mg, but why is the weight gain an issue on lexapro anyone know the answer to that one? i also went off them so I can drop that last 7kilo's... which seems impossible when on the lexapro but already off them just over 8 days, lost 2kilos!

Bill7340 is offline New Member

Been on Lexapro 20- years good luck getting off it's addictive as smoking. I'm 3-days off again for the 5th time see what happens, can only blame myself for being so stupid and getting hooked. I'm 70 so those of you younger get off now while you can or expect a lifetime of misery. Find another way to deal with what we think is depression, I really think were just weak or lazy and seeking an easy method to deal with our brain rather than to control our brain with hobbies, exercise and love for our work and people. Don't get hooked like me get off find another natural method.

LuisGilreath is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill7340 View Post
    Been on Lexapro 20- years good luck getting off it's addictive as smoking. I'm 3-days off again for the 5th time see what happens, can only blame myself for being so stupid and getting hooked. I'm 70 so those of you younger get off now while you can or expect a lifetime of misery. Find another way to deal with what we think is depression, I really think were just weak or lazy and seeking an easy method to deal with our brain rather than to control our brain with hobbies, exercise and love for our work and people. Don't get hooked like me get off find another natural method.

Thanks dude your advice from the previous experienced will really help us to stay away from bad habits and join good habits like daily exercise,healthy diet etc.and I think you did very good job by sending your post here and help many youngsters to keep away from bad habits that you did in your young age.

nbould is offline New Member

Default Bill, stop saying we're "weak or lazy".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill7340 View Post
    Maybe you were weak or lazy 20 years ago, and you aren't now - good for you. Some of us needed the help to stay sane for our families, and to make a living. Get thru tramas like death, rape, abuse, cancer, chronic disease, etc. Now time has passed and maybe we're different; now we feel we can cope a little better. But ranting about not getting on it in the first place is not very helpful to those of us ALREADY on it and trying to get off. Sshhh....

Thenex is offline New Member

lblue
    I think you must continually follow your Dr., I know It's kind a hard, just reading your post make me imagine the process I've been through when I decided to stop. But I know you can overcome it. . .

edscape is offline New Member

I have been taking Lexapro since the early 1990s. I was prescribed this drug for clinical depression with suicidal tendencies. A short time ago while speaking with a friend, he made me aware that because I was now divorced, the cause of my depression could well be gone. So stopped taking Lexapro 1 month ago.
    Since then I have had mild headaches every day but my libido has definitely improved. I will check in every few weeks to let you know how I'm getting on, but please remember if you get rid of the cause of your depression, no matter how difficult that may be, do it and save your health.