Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Wellbutrin
    terry2013 is offline New Member

Default Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin
    Generic Name: bupropion
    Treatment for: Depression

Have you taken or do you take Wellbutrin?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/wellbutrin.html

Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/wellbutrin.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:26 AM.

dford58 is offline New Member

Being on it for five weeks should be long enough to se whether it is going to work. I would see you doctor and let him or her what is going on.

Debra ford

jennifermw is offline Member

Well it takes about four weeks for the med to work. You can try sticking it out for a few more weeks. If it doesn't work then I'd see you doctor. I know people of have been on Wellbutrin for anxiety and it didn't help. The ones I found that most commonly workare either Celexa or Lexapro. Hope this helped

scotth is offline New Member

i took welbutrin for anxiety and found anger as a side effect - shes right lexipro was the best substitution in my case.
    good luck - scotth

mitzu is offline New Member

i, too, had that side effect of anger. does anyone know how i should come off of this drug? wellbutrin 150mg. i have been using it now for 5+mos and want to come off of it. my doctor doesnt make me feel comfortable with her answers. should i split the pill and take it from there? or should i maybe take 1 pill every other day instead of everyday...etc etc? anyone?

StrwbrryGrL is offline New Member

I have been on Wellbutrin for about 8 months and I can't say it's done anything for me. I have also experienced the anger and irritabilty side effect. If anything, it has made me worse. I ccan't find a good psychiatrist but I am also trying to stop taking it. Does anyone know if it causes weight gain when coming off it though? I think doctors can be really off the mark, they just prescribe you wahts hot and move on spo they can see their next patient, you know they are paid whether we kill ourselves or not.

jennifermw is offline Member

Strybrry Girl - Don't stop this med abtuply it must be tapered down. the side effects while getting off this med is both weight gain or lose. It talks more about weight lose. Weight lose is more common

scotth is offline New Member

StrwbrryGrl - first follow your doctors recommendations for stopping wellbutrin. mine had me taper for a week then go directly to celexa. What a releaf to be off wellbutrin. I felt better and much more relaxed, But Celexa made me sleep all the time. So finally i went to lexipro = MUCH BETTER!

good luck - scotth.

Mullins is offline New Member

I have just started taking Wellbutrin as of yesterday.Only side effect that I have experienced is a slight headache.I hope this medication helps because I have tried all of them in the past 15 years.Depression is on my mother's side of the family and my mother is currently taking Effexor. I am suffering from lack of energy in which I can't take a bath, force myself to get ready for work, and sleep hours at a time. I also at times don't have the energy to walk Sparky, my dog. I have problems going places with my husband because I don't have the energy.I have heard positive feedback from some people who are taking this agent.Any suggestions to help me with my energy.

ashleyegret is offline New Member

I"ve an urgent question but not sure where to find the answer about Bupropion SR:
    I was prescribed Bupropion SR 150MG tab before and the pharmacy always give me the medication which is in purple color. I recently went to get a refill and the Bupropion SR150 I got this time is in white color. I'm just wondering will Bupropion manufactured by different company in different color then? Coz I think I'm experiencing some side-effect which I didn't experience before. I"m extremely tired and out of energy after I took the medication, while the reason I"m taking it is to "keep me going"....
    Anyway, if someone know the answer, that'll be great. Thanks.

Casey55 is offline Member

I have been on Wellbutrin for almost two years now. All drugs can work differently for each person. Wellbutrin is not meant to be taken for anxiety, but there are lots of other things that are, both short term and long term. If you are on Wellbutrin for depression and also are suffering from anxiety, you will probably have to take a second medicine for the anxiety. I have had tremendous success with Wellbutrin SR. I tried every single one of the SSRI's, Prozac, Luvox, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, and Lexapro, was well as Effexor, and some others as well. I never had one single bit of relief from my depression with any of them. That doesn't mean it won't work for others.

Two years ago, I was getting suicidal and my doctor tried me on Wellbutrin. I was already on Neurontin as a mood stabilizer and together they have worked great. My depression lifted for the first time in 7 years and I have not been depressed or suicidal since I started taking them.

I never had the anger side effect, but maybe that is because I am on Neurontin, only 300mgs a night, as a mood stabilizer. Sometimes you just have to keep trying different meds or combinations of meds until you find something that works for you. Some people try all the SSRI's and it is the last SSRI they try that works. If the SSRI's don't work there are several other antidepressants you could try.

If you are taking a generic for Wellbutrin, you will probably find that it depends which drug store you get your prescription filled at, what your pill will look like. Once a drug goes generic, many companies make their own generic of it and they all look different. I had this happen to me. The medicine I was on was actually no longer available in the US in the Brand, which I had been on for 8 yrs. When I got my pills and looked at them, I thought they had made a mistake. I called the pharmacy and found out it was a generic. Another time I got it filled somewhere else and it was some other looking pill. It is possible, there are people this has happened to, that when you have been on the Brand name and switch to the generic, you make notice a difference in how it is working for you. Sometimes the generic dose may need to be upped a bit to work the same. That happened to me. I was on 300mgs a day Brand and wasn't getting as good of results on the generic. My doctor upped me to 350mgs a day and then it worked as well as the Brand had. Other people have no problem switching to a generic, it depends on the drug and the person.

Antidepressants should kick in at around the two week mark. If you notice no change by then, you should talk to your doctor about trying something else. One other thing, sometimes when you start a new medicine, you can have some unwanted side effects, but if you can stick it out a few weeks, many of them often go away. With the SSRI's, weight gain and sexual dysfunction are possible and if you have those, they do not go away with time.

Good Luck to all of you, I hope you can find something that works for you.

Casey
    MalachiCrunch likes this.

2Bcrazed is offline New Member

*****BE VERY CAREFUL COMING OFF WELLBUTRIN*****

I just want to make sure that ppl know that you should be very careful about coming off this med. You can have severe withdrawal symptoms, as I did, just from a small dose. I was only taking 100mg a day for about 6 mos. I foolishly just stopped taking it. (Because I started Strattera and worried about mixing the two.)

I started having suicidal and then homocidal feelings. I had flu-like symptoms, migraines, extreme fatigue, muscle aches and God only knows what else I've been feeling that's attributed to this. I was off it for at least a whole week and a half before I figured out that what I was having were withdrawal symptoms.

The scariest part was that I was watching t.v., a detective program about a murder and "suddenly I understood" what made ppl want to kill and how and why they did it. I thought I was losing my mind for sure. Very scary.

(Last week, I was on the computer one night looking at sites that told you how to kill yourself!)

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT STOPPING THIS MEDICATION!

2b,

I am sorry you had to go through that, you really had a bad withdrawal. This can happen with many medicines and no one should ever go off any medicine, barring a medical emergency, without consulting with their doctor first and getting proper instructions on how to come off the medicine, slowly, over time.

I was on Paxil, which has a very short half life, and I had a medical emergency and had to stop it cold turkey. Paxil is one of the worst meds to stop cold turkey. I know your pain, not only did I get what they refer to as the Paxil flu, a bad withdrawal from Paxil, but I had to come off it because of a toxic reaction and that also caused severe symptoms. It was like having 5 cases of the flu all at once. I truly thought I was going to die. It took two month of just rocking in bed in the fetal position before I finally got better. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

That had to be really scary to have the suicidal and homocidal feelings. I am glad you are better now and I hope you, as I was, under good supervision from my doctor during the withdrawl.

How is your depression since you went off the Wellbutrin? I hope you are doing well.

Best Wishes,
    Casey

zeukii is offline New Member

Hello. Let me just start by saying that every one should realize that they themselves are the best monitors of their conditions, how long you've been having an adverse effect of a particular med that your doctor INSISTS is the drug for you, how long you've felt a certain way and most importantly-how a newly prescribed drug is making you feel. So you give it two week's. That is more then sufficient time to understand what's happening to you.You report your symptoms to your doctor. If he treat's you like a child, meaning he/she 'know's what's best' and you are to continue on this drug, say 'very well' and immediately find some one who will listen to you and I mean LISTEN. You might say 'That would be difficult". It isn't. This is your life we're speaking of and you deserve nothing but the best. There are clinic's ( and some of them are damn good), hospitals and the internet.
    Having said all that I will address those who have been prescribed Wellbutrin for depression /anxiety or even just for anxiety.Wellbutrin has a stimulant type of effect and is used primarily for the treatment of major depression.(Note: My doctor has me take Wellbutrin, 450mg.s, early in the morning as it would definitely interfere with my sleep at night.) Now, Wellbutrin can also be used to treat ADHD, Bipolar depression, to treat chronic fatigue syndrome, in reducing cocaine cravings,to help kick smoking(bupropion is Wellbutrin AND Zyban-the drug they give smokers to help quit) and to reduce lower back pain. Wellbutrin weight loss drug was released for use in the United States in 1989.A stimulant by any other name....
    I'm almost finished. Someone asked about withdrawal from this all around, multi-purpose wonder drug. Here goes. Symptoms are as follows; ANXIETY,DIZZINESS,FATIGUE,MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN,JOLTING ELECTRIC 'ZAPS',TINGLING SENSATIONS,VERTIGO,GAIT DISTURBANCES,RESTLESSNESS,TREMORS,VISUAL HALLUCINATIONS,HEADACHES,INSOMNIA,NAUSEA,VOMITING, DIARRHEA,BLURRED VISION,SWEATING,FEVER,ABDOMINAL DISCOMFORT,AGGRESSION,SLEEP DISTURBANCE AND INSOMNIA, NIGHTMARES,VIVID DREAMS,FLU SYMPTOMS AND GENERAL MALAISE,ANORREXIA,AGITATION,IRRITABILITY,CONFUSION ,MEMORY AND CONCENTRATION DIFFCULTIES,CHILLS AND HOT FLASHES,CRYING SPELLS,SUICIDAL THOUGHTS,LETHARGY,WEAKNESS and MYALGIA.
    One particularly disturbing antidepressant withdrawal symptom is hallucinations. While working through the physical and emotional effects of Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms, hallucinations can make the sufferer feel as if they are going crazy. YOU ARE NOT GOING CRAZY!!! You unwittingly became hooked on a drug that your doctor, by prescribing it, told you was okay. The FDA (for whatever they're worth these day's) corroborate these finding's.
    Here's the freaky thing. I bounced. I bounced for year's. This doctor. That doctor. We're talking twenty-five years or so. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I took every anti-depressant know to man..evn the old ergot's. To make a so very long story short,I couldn't stand life one more second.Depression,anxiety, not able to see through the black veil, I called it quit's. Lot's of xanax, a few bag,s of >>>>>> and a pint of booze did the trick...or so I thought. Seven day's later I woke from a coma. After my physical need's were met I was sent to a psychiatric and for the first time was put on a 'cocktail' that I live on to this day and as I stated before Wellbutrin is one of them.
    You have to study up.I'm not here to scare you...just the fact's . This is your life we're talking about. Don't hand it over to anybody. NOT ANYBODY!!!!! Good luck

2Bcrazed is offline New Member

Casey,

Oh my God! You went thru TWO MONTHS of withdrawal??? Was this only from the Paxil or did you have other medical issues going on?

That's what I am so scared of now. I am back on Wellbutrin, only a few days now. I am still getting migraines about every other day but not as bad as they were...I guess it takes time to get the levels back up in your system. But now, I am so scared of one day, if the time comes that I want to get off this med. I wonder if you still experience the withdrawal even if you slowly taper?

I feel terrible today. Just so angry and moody.

I am on Geodon, an anti-psychotic that we are using as a mood stabilizer along with Klonapin. It seemed that the Strattera was making me more calm and then I started the Wellbutrin withdrawal so I don't know what's what right now. I feel miserable.

I am bipolar, a rapid recycler. I've been on about everything there is out there. I am nearly out of options. (I feel like I am completely out of options.) Our next step was to go back to the old tricyclics but I really don't want to do that. I remember lots of side effects, one being wt gain. I had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago and I refuse to take anything that causes wt gain!

Every winter, I get very depressed. I am trying to use light therapy too with a light box. But the anger is what really worries me. I have a child and I don't like how I act with her sometimes.

I've been with my pdoc for about 4 years now, I think. I don't know what to do. I don't think he does either. I've even had ECT done. That did not help at ALL and cause me to have really severe memory loss. I am disabled and have been for years.

Depression and any mental illness is like living in hell sometimes. It's like I can see thru the glass window, to the outside, to how things should be, but I can't get there. I may have a few blocks, like hours, where things will get better but it always goes back to where I am now--to bad.

I've been on all the SSRI's and recently had a bad reaction to them. It just started this past summer. (I took them for years.) I started getting really, really tired and then my blood sugar would go really low or who knows, maybe it was my blood pressure but something really bad was happening.

I tried the new AD, Cymbalta and the 1st dose made me feel fantastic, like I had taken an illicit drug or something...but the 2nd and 3rd dose made me feel horrible so I stopped.

Thanks for your reply to my post. It's so hard to not have someone to talk to about this stuff. I know my spouse gets SICK of hearing my everyday problems with meds!

lalag719 is offline New Member

I had taken Wellbutrin for about 3 months, and had to stop quickly becuase it caused me some very distressing side affects. At least 3-4 times a day I would get chills and start shivering, then as quickly as the chills subsided, I start sweating and turning red in the face. Symptoms that seemed strangly like Menopausal hot-flashes, tho I'm nowhere near that time of life. Has anyone else ever gotten these side affects? I'd be curious[:I]

lorraine d gatti

WezieRn is offline New Member

quote:
    I jus
    Originally posted by lalag719
    I

I just wanted to say that I took Wellbutrin for one week and ended up in the hospital on a telemetry unit. I was experiencing several odd things including tachycardia, premature ventricular tachycardia , chest pain , numbness of arms etc. Went by ambulance, had stress test etc, cardiac wise ok, apparently 1% of population experiences some of these things with Wellbutrin. I cannot address the hot flash issue as that was one of the reasons I started to take it in the first place after trying Paxil with no relief and no sex drive.

I had taken Wellbutrin for about 3 months, and had to stop quickly becuase it caused me some very distressing side affects. At least 3-4 times a day I would get chills and start shivering, then as quickly as the chills subsided, I start sweating and turning red in the face. Symptoms that seemed strangly like Menopausal hot-flashes, tho I'm nowhere near that time of life. Has anyone else ever gotten these side affects? I'd be curious[:I]

lorraine d gatti

cdg93 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by ashleyegret

I"ve an urgent question but not sure where to find the answer about Bupropion SR:
    I was prescribed Bupropion SR 150MG tab before and the pharmacy always give me the medication which is in purple color. I recently went to get a refill and the Bupropion SR150 I got this time is in white color. I'm just wondering will Bupropion manufactured by different company in different color then? Coz I think I'm experiencing some side-effect which I didn't experience before. I"m extremely tired and out of energy after I took the medication, while the reason I"m taking it is to "keep me going"....

cdg93 is offline New Member

You were given a generic for Wellbutrin sr 150. There are several different manufacturers. Each manufacturer will have a different looking pill. Don't worry it is all the same medication.

quote:Originally posted by ashleyegret

Helena is offline New Member

wow, these comments give hope and cause panic.
    I have been on wellbutrin (150mg/2xaday) for over two years. and it seems to be not as effective. most troubling is the last three weeks I have been experience tingling in my hands, heaviness/heat in the hands. my doctor doesn't seem alarmed by this. I am wondering if I might be experiencing "withdrawal" symptoms even though I am still taking the meds. in combination with sleeping alot, very vivid dreams, and hand tremours. it's hard to know where one thing starts and another ends. the hand tremours I had before the wellbutrin. the sleeping alot is one of the reasons I started the wellbutrin in the first place. I let personal things get out of control and now am completely overwhelmed by everything. and of course the sadness and crying jags are with me always. doctor recommends trying lexapro. I'm scared to go off the wellbutrin even if I think it's not effective and I'm scared to go on another. but mostly I want to know if this tingling in my hands is connected to the wellbutrin. thank you for any response. reading the forum, I don't feel quite so isolated. why isn't there a smiling face for sad?

Reppindadirtymo99 is offline New Member

hey you guys seem to have so much knowledge on anti-depressants so i figured i could get some kind of answers from atleast one of you. I have a friend, and her parents jus recently put her on an anti-depressant and shes been also taking adderall whenever she feels like it to get a high. I am trying to help her stop taking the adderall becuase i was reading on the drug interactions page that one of the drugs you are not supposed to take with adderall is anti-depressants. i am not sure what her medicine is called but i am almost positive that it falls under that category. i am very worried about her and i was wondering what it could do to you if you take an anti-depressant and adderall...because she is my good friend i would never want any thing bad to happen to her. plz some1 help asap. thanx!

repp,

You friend needs to call her psychiatrist and ask about this. Did he prescribe the Aderall, does he know she is taking it? Even if she is under age, she is the one being treated and prescribed the anti-depressants and her doctor needs to be aware she is on both and explain why or why not it is ok to take the two together. Do you know what anti-depressant she is on. There are all kinds, some may not have this effect, I don't know.

Casey

pittypat is offline New Member

I have been taking Wellbutrin for a little over 2 years after many stressful years in my personal life culminated, at last, in what, for the sake of brevity, call a change in my circumstances. This was pretty dramatic and scary and resulted in major depression. Now, the main cause of my stress lives far away, and I'm on a more productive and happy road, so I've been slowly going off the Wellbutrin. I have also begun to experience some REALLY unpleasant side effects--the insomnia is one I especially could do without, but random crying, and anxiety are the most difficult to cope with as I've been pretty much free of all that mess for quite a long time now. I'm sorry to hear so many of you have had some of the same problems, but at least it seems to be "normal" and I'm glad to hear I'm not necessarily going to have to run back to the meds! I also get randomly dizzy and feel disconnected for a few seconds. Anyone ever experience that? How long does it take for it to go away?

pittypat is offline New Member

note to lalag719 YES! I certainly did experience the "hot flash" thing while taking my full dose of Wellbutrin. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said to see if I could pin the times, food, etc down, and eventually I gave up because there wasn't anything physical I could find causing it. Now that I've stopped taking the meds, guess what--no more "flashes" and red (REALLY RED) in the face moments. Can't say I miss that!!

scubablt is offline New Member

Hello. News about Wellbutrin vs. Zoloft (My very personal experience.)

~~~ Here is some info from me @ Wellbutrin. I had started my depression treatment w/ Zoloft, and below you will read about my horrible experience with the Rx. "Zo--I Can't Get the Big Boy Up Any More--Loft" and that is why I was changed by my Dr. to Wellbutrin. Although Wellbutrin did not and is still not working very well for the depression, the side affects I suffered w/ Zoloft disappeared. You have to decide which you want: better help w/ Depression OR to be able to get it up and cum.... you decide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my story about Zoloft vs. Wellbutrin. I need to use the intimate details I do to make the point and to be totally honest as to why I HAD to GET OFF Zoloft ASAP!!! Here it is:

*** "I hurt my back in 1999 and still suffer intense PAIN. I even had surgery, P.T., Injections, and much more. The only thing that has helped is Pain Rxs.

I am also still suffering from severe depression from all I have been thru since the injury where I hurt my back -- (All this happened in a 18 month period of time!!!) The death / loss of my last living parent AND grandparent, loss of my mother in law, two dear pets dying, I moved often and lived in 5 houses in 13 months while my new house was being built, resigned a job due to unethical acts at the top of the mgmt. level, took two other jobs and resigned them due to much better offers, marital problems, supervised the building of the new 2-story house mentioned above... that encountered several major problems that just about cost me over 50,000!, major car problems, wife getting sick in a bad way and having 2-surgeries three months apart,financial problems, and the while time I battled intense level 6-9 back pain due to above info. about back, and the dark world of DEEP DEPRESSION has just about over taken my whole life... and it still is as I write this.

So, to make a long story short, my Dr. prescribed me Zoloft a few years ago for the depression and it worked OK, but I was so depressed, It would be hard for anything to work. I should say it did not work at first, until they got the dose up high enough... which took several months of experimenting w/ the dose. ***But, here is the BIG problem I suffered w/ Zoloft: The Zoloft left me totally impotent! I could not 'get it up' hardly at all, and when I did finally get the 'big boy' to come to the "Taco Party," (get it?), I could not cum or have an ORGASM at all! I could make love or get sucked for an hour and not cum! I am not kidding. Plus, it took all desire away for sex due to my inability to enjoy any pleasure at all. I mean, who wants to go thru the work of having sex and not enjoy it? I did not!! So, this made my wife mad, and she started considering getting laid by others to pleasure her. So, I chose to get off the Zoloft to save my sex life and marriage. And when I did get it up. and when I was able to make love, it took me SO long to cum, that I flat wore out my wife.... I mean I reamed her out due to going so long, that she was literally hurting in her sweet spot. I would sometimes go for 30 - 45 minutes full-speed ahead and still not be able to have much sensation in the Big-Boy, and still could not cum. She was begging me to: 1) Cum ASAP, or 2) STOP and pull out ASAP or she would be reamed out raw. Since I could not cum, I had to stop without feeling good or letting the Big-Boy relieve himself. This went on for months, so I had to do something, right? I had to get off the Zoloft ASAP!

So, Zoloft helped w/ the depression, but the side effects were not worth it. I switched to Wellbutrin, BUT It does not seem to work at all on the depression, so I still suffer thru life w/ horrible pain and in the dark, miserable, terrible, life-threatening, career ending, and extremely lonely world of deep depression. sometimes, the deep depression is worse than the intense physical pain I suffer.

So, that is my word @ Zoloft... it worked some, but killed other parts of my life. Wellbutrin does not have the bad sexual side affects, but does not treat my depression near as well. I have considered stopping it many times, but since it does not seem to be causing me any problems, I thought, "What the heck... maybe it is helping a little, so I might as well keep taking it." Any thoughts on this anyone?

Any advice from anyone that could help me?

I hope you can get some effective help. Good luck on your own struggles. Mine are literally killing me one day at a time.

Lee

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

loudze is offline New Member

scubablt I like you am taking an SSRI. although it's not exactly the same one you're taking, it also was killing my sex life. I am taking Effexor XR which has completely changed my life. I would say that every single part of my life has improved, except for my sex life.

............on a side note I think I could have been considered a sex addict before Effexor because I obsessesed over sex, and not I don't think about it very often.

My doctor warned me about the sexual side affects. Tt didn't bother me because I was single. After a few weeks when the depression lifted I was the most charming personable guy so of course I started dating again. At first my girlfriend and I would have sex for an hour or two and I would eventually give up. She let me try anal and anything I wanted. Nothing worked. One day I got frustrated and I masturbated after sex for about an hour until I was finally able to get off. I had resigned to the fact that she wasn't going to be able to get me to cum. Eventually I wasn't even able to maintain, and sometimes, get an erection.

I told my doctor I wanted to fix it and he said we could either try some sort of cold tablet or something like that or Wellbutrin (Bupropion). Well about three weeks ago he got me on Wellbutrin and it had immediate results. The day following starting on Wellbutrin I was energized and when I saw my girlfriend I got the strongest erection I had in a long time. Honestly it was almost like a Viagra erection. I didn't get off that night but at least I was getting a nice erection. The following night I was able to cum inside my girlfriend!! The next weekend sex worked for me as well. The doc has upped the dose (from 75 to 150mg) so it will be interesting to see how sex goes for me this weekend!!!

So for you people out there on SSRI's you might want to try out Wellbutrin to help out on your sex life.

....Here's an interesing idea. Why don't they put sex offenders on Effexor or some sort of thing that kills your sex drive? AND why don't they prescribe Wellbutrin for people who have >>>>>> sex lives?....

For those of you dealing with sexual side effects and loss of libido, there are somethings you can try. Dr. Micheal Jenike, a psychophamacologist, is the leading expert on SSRI's and depression medicines in the country. He has written an article about these drugs which includes sexual side effects.

Side Effects Of These Medicines
    by Michael A. Jenike, M.D.
    Professor of Psychiatry
    Harvard Medical School
    Chairman, OC Foundation Scientific Advisory Board

(note: since this article was written, the sixth SSRI came out on the market and that is Lexapro. It came after Celexa which was touted as causing less side effects, including sexual side effects. Lexapro is a sister drug to Celexa and is touted having lesser side effects than all the other SSRI's. Of course, meds effect everyone differently and work differently for each person)

Luvox, Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, and Zoloft are called SSRIs or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, while Anafranil is an older tricyclic antidepressant or SRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) that has effects on other chemical messengers besides serotonin and is thus not selective for serotonin. All of these drugs commonly produce sexual side effects in both sexes that may range from lowering of sexual drive to delayed ability to have an orgasm to complete inability to have an erection or orgasm. Interestingly, there is an uncommon side effect that has been reported where patients have spontaneous orgasms while yawning. This must be quite uncommon since no patient has ever told me of such a symptom, and when patients yawn in my office, they always look bored, not excited. Occasional patients report increased interest in sexual activity.

Each of these drugs has side effects, and it is quite unusual for an individual patient not to have one or more side effects. As with all drugs, the patient and physician must weigh the benefits of the drug against the side effects. It is important for the patient to be open and forceful about problems that may be caused by the medication. Sometimes just an adjustment in dosage or switch in the time of day that one takes the medication is all that is required.

Although it may seem embarrassing, you should tell your physician about sexual difficulties so that he or she can help you figure out how best to deal with them. These side effects are so common that your psychiatrist will not be surprised. There have recently been a few reports of patients who were having sexual difficulties on these drugs who stopped taking them on Fridays and Saturdays and were able to at least enjoy successful sexual activity on the weekends. It appears so far, that this approach has not produced a relapse in symptoms, but this may be reported as people try this more often. Also, with Prozac this approach has not been as effective since it is such a long acting compound.

There is some evidence that Celexa does not cause as many sexual side effects or weight gain, but it is new to the United States market so the final word on this remains to be determined. End

I am also wondering about non-prescription things like Yohimbine to several prescriptions available for aiding males with erections. I don't know if they can be used with SSRI's you should talk to your psychiatrist about this side effect and see what they think. Unfortunately, they are still working on med to aid females with having orgasms, but they are coming. There are some non-prescription creams advertised that help, a friend of mine tried on that helped her but it was costly.

If you are taking these particular drugs or any other drug with this side effect, for depression, there are several other drugs that you could try that don't have this side effect. Again, consult you psychiatrist.

It is a bummer of a side effect, that is for sure.

Casey

If Wellbutrin or any other antidepressant anyone is on, is not successfully treating your depression you can talk to your psychiatrist about taking another one or see if he will increase the dose of the Wellbutrin.

My psychiatrist upped my Wellbutrin from 300mgs. to 350mgs. when I was going through a rough time. I take another drug that went generic and the name brand company pulled that off the markets, so only generics of this drug are available in the US right now. I had been on the name brand for 7 years and when I started taking the generic at the same dose, it wasn't working as well. My doctor up it by 50mgs and then it worked as good as the name brand.

If you are on the generic of Wellbutrin, this may be something you could talk to your doctor about.

Good Luck everyone,
    Casey

setenv is offline New Member

I just want to say that wellbutrin just ****s with your head. I kept on having violent delusions in my head of cars blowing up and other things.
    I was really petrified I mean i dont want to have to deal with this **** and I hope wellbutrin will stop. I smoked marijuana a few times while i was on the medication which i think caused problems. Whoever created this medication is a complete idiot it will cause you more harm than you need.
    -setenv

setenv,

Surely you understand that Wellburtin is an excellant anti-depressant for many many people. It has literally saved my life and I will take it the rest of my life if I have to, to keep from going back the hell I was in before. Any drug can have adverse side effects on someone, that doesn't mean it is a bad medicine and should be taken off the market. It was just bad for you and you just need to try something else.

You had to know smoking marijuana or drinking alcohol while on these kinds of meds are things that are warned against. You could have caused this whole problem by ignoring that, and if that was what did cause your head problems, how in the world could you even begin to blame it on the Wellbutrin. You have to be responsible when you are on medicaitons if you hope to get the benefits of them.

gwenf likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast