Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
weight gain and lexapro
    johnhopps is offline Member

from what I have read you can go from one ssri to another without being concerned. there are other meds like maois that you have to be off for 14 days before starting ssris. you can research that

weighed in at 251 today so I guess im losing the weight. around 10/11 of the 33 ga ined has come off. it has put a little dent in the fat that I have put on. the next 10 will make me look alot better and after that hopefully I can get back to my normal weight. ill keep posting

BOOP58 is offline New Member

Just a recap. went on lexapro gained 26 pounds. Went on wellbutrin along with the lexapro lost 5 pounds. Went off all meds 7 months ago and have lost 10 pounds.Total weight gain 26 pounds. Total weight loss since quitting altogether 10 stinking pounds in 7 months. I have just about given up with ever getting back to the way I was pre med days! Tried all kinds of drinks and diet pills and all I get is discouraged with all of this. Hopefully it will just take a bit more time for my body to shake off all this weight gain......hopefully! One of the first questions I asked my doctor was will I gain weight and was told no no not on these pills. Its not just the weight gain its how it also changes your whole body shape and chemistry and how it is sooo difficult to lose the weight. What in gods name is in these pills?

Herbare is offline New Member

Im in aus, I was on lexapro for about 18 mths I put on 20 kgs (about 2 dress sizes ) I was on 20mg I was mortified about my weight gain I feel unattractive to my husband and I just feel horrible looking in the mirror I hope once it gets out my system (i stopped approx 4mths ago) I start shedding my weight thank you for the hope from this forum its good to not feel so alone about lexapro and the weight gain.

Croftski is offline New Member

Hi everyone, I have been on lex for almost a year now, my Dr first put me on 10mg and then 20mg for postnatal depression, I have put on quite a bit of weight and as the rest of you, I too cannot lose any weight no matter what I do. I am not sure how much longer I will be on this but an dreading the day and not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms.

Just when I think im losing, the scale moves up a little. I'm starting to give up hope of ever losing the rest of the weight. All the cardio and calorie counting that got me in great physical form now does nothing.

tootsieroll is offline Junior Member

I have slowly been tapering off Celexa and I am about half way. So far I am only maintaining my weight on the scale but I seem to feel more svelte. This makes me believe that the weight we gain on SSRIs is mostly water weight giving us that bloated/chubby look. I will continue to drink more water to flush this bloat and bump up my exercise time.

Tootsie. Speaking on behalf of many others and I, when you go from grabbing a 1/2 inch of fat on your stomach to 3-4 inches, it isn't water. And when your waistline expands 5 inches, the same for that. I wish it was water. I wish I could sue but I've tried so many meds that how can I go about blaming one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhopps View Post
    Tootsie. Speaking on behalf of many others and I, when you go from grabbing a 1/2 inch of fat on your stomach to 3-4 inches, it isn't water. And when your waistline expands 5 inches, the same for that. I wish it was water. I wish I could sue but I've tried so many meds that how can I go about blaming one of them.

I completely understand what you mean and I pretty much feel the same way. I could sue these bastards but it seems like a losing battle. Regarding the weight, well I didn't mean all the weight we gain is water, just the initial 10-15 lbs. It also depends how much weight you gained on the antidepressants. My sister is a nurse and she said that when you gain/lose a little weight really rapidly it's usually water. I am trying to combat this by taking dandelion capsules or drinking dandelion tea. It acts as a detox. Are you still on SSRIs? It can take up to a year for the weight to really budge.
    Last edited by tootsieroll; 02-11-2012 at 04:55 AM.

For over 2 years I've battled the ssri weight issue. I have posted on here many times.I have gained weight while taking ssris and lost after stopping.just this time it really isn't coming off like the other times. This culprit was prozac the first was lexapro and thats why I post on this forum.I have been off all meds for 6 months and have lost only 8 of the 33 pounds gained. After stopping prozac I put on 20 pounds in 2 months. This was after almost losing all of my gain from sertraline. I was losing on 20 mg of prozac and decided to double the dose. After 18 days I gained 6 pounds and decided to stop thinking that I nipped it in the but.think again 20 pounds while on nothing came on while training for the marathon. Had to quit cause of back pain that I never had. My thyroid is fine this med just altered something that is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhopps View Post
    For over 2 years I've battled the ssri weight issue. I have posted on here many times.I have gained weight while taking ssris and lost after stopping.just this time it really isn't coming off like the other times. This culprit was prozac the first was lexapro and thats why I post on this forum.I have been off all meds for 6 months and have lost only 8 of the 33 pounds gained. After stopping prozac I put on 20 pounds in 2 months. This was after almost losing all of my gain from sertraline. I was losing on 20 mg of prozac and decided to double the dose. After 18 days I gained 6 pounds and decided to stop thinking that I nipped it in the but.think again 20 pounds while on nothing came on while training for the marathon. Had to quit cause of back pain that I never had. My thyroid is fine this med just altered something that is unknown.

Hmmm it definitely could have altered something else such as adrenal glands or pituitary. But I would give your body more time to heal before you truly look deeply into those conditions. I, myself, have also gained weight on Prozac when I was switched to that in hopes I would lose some of the weight from Celexa. I gained 10 pounds on top of whatever I already had. Prozac is tricky cause it has a longer half life which means it takes longer for it to leave your body, so it could explain why the weight is moving slowly. Don't be so hard on yourself and keep us updated on your progress.

its something besides metabolism I tell you. The reason is at my leanest ( almost 6 pack) I was 230 pounds. Now for me a 10 pound fluctuation used to mean alot. At 240 I would look heavy in the face,, and then when I would lose ten pounds, people thought I had lost alot of weight. This SSRI weight gain is all in the stomach/love handles. And my weight is 255, something I never reached pre SSRI and I have lost 8 pounds. If I ever reached 263 pre ssri I would've looked huge, but I don't cause it's all navel down. If it was just metabolism I would gain normally, but I don't, it's very different.

pharmarep is offline New Member

Default Glad to know I'm not Solo:)

I have always been apprehensive about these sites due to being in the pharma industry for 8 years and coming from a clinical-based background. Like most of us, I too have always been in shape and never really struggled to maintain my weight. I'm 32, almost 6'1" and ever since I can remember, have always weighed between 140-150 lbs, relatively active, no children, etc. I have gone on 2 short-term spurts with Lexapro in the past, i.e. taking it for 1-2 months, and never saw any weight gain; just memory loss, especially with a few glasses of wine! My thyroid test did show that my T4 was a bit off and have been on synthroid 25 mcg (the lowest dose available) for 6+ months, but no weight loss even though it’s within range. . Personally, I started taking Lexapro agian to control anxiety issues I was having at the time due to hitting a rough patch and found that it’s very effective in this area: you suddenly just don’t seem to get “worked up” about insignificant things and agitated with people that typically annoy you. My appetite has not increased with Lexapro, and in fact, I probably eat healthier now than ever. In addition, exercise doesn’t seem to do anything! I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one that has been a victim of this side effect.
    I have now been on 10mg a day for the past 18 months, and have slowly graduated from a size 6 (dress)/8 (pants) to a tight 12 in pants, and at 170 lbs. In addition, I have developed a slight gut and love-handles, which has never been an area of weight gain for me. Typically my hips and a$$ are most affected (and currently the case too) and my arms even look flabby, despite the fact I constantly lift weights. My doctor is a very dear friend of mine, personally takes Lexapro herself, yet genuinely believes that overall the weight gain is minimal for most (5-10 lbs) despite the fact she too has put on some significant weight herself. She’s been practicing for 15+ years and treats a lot of women with anxiety and depression. In other words, I don’t think she’s lying to me.
    Here are my thoughts: Lexapro is very effective at treating anxiety and MDD. It also happens to be the #1 prescribed anti-depressant on the market, which is why you hear and see more AE (adverse events) outliers within the bell-curve. The studies in the package insert for Lexapro do not extend beyond 8 weeks, which is why the weight gain profile is minimal; hence the limited amount of fact-based information your physician can provide. It seems like most of us don’t know that we’re packing it on until 6 months down the road. I personally use to sell the most "weight-neutral" atypical anti-psychotic on the market which is also used for depression (in adjunct with an SSRI or SNRI), and it does have a better AE profile than its predecessors, but I would often hear of patients gaining 20-30 lbs in a relatively short period of time, even though our 6 week studies showed a small percentage of people gaining 2-3 lbs.
    However, for those of us that fall outside this bell-curve and have put on gradual and/or tremendous amount of weight, I would like to keep in touch with regards to weight reduction and tapering off this med in general!
    Also, I just like to say that I think it’s awesome that so many people take the time to respond these types of subjects. This is a first for me despite the fact that I have read hundreds of these blogs and have never responded in the past. FYI, if you ever have an AE such as the one discussed above, you should contact Global Compliance Services at 1-800-528-5745 to report these types of claims. When common AE’s occur, it is mandatory for the company to change their package insert and inform all physicians of these changes.
    425runner likes this.

That number is not for reporting ae for medications

I've weighed in around 250 three days in a row. So I guess I'm down 12 pounds and have around 20 to go. Finally some more movement. I def feel slimmer. The weight still comes off whenever it feels like it and exercise/diet plays little role if any.

John- its so good to hear you are seeing some progress. I guess the stubborn weight does come off when it wants to.

Pharm- Personally for me, I gained weight really quickly when going from one AD to another. My body seemed to have held the weight from previous AD and then added whatever weight from the new AD on top. If you are going to taper, I would look into tapering 10% of previous dose to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

sfielder88 is offline New Member

Default sfielder

I too have been a victim of lexapro, Gained 30 pounds. Even with tough workouts and diet I could not get the weight off. I stopped taking it a week ago and im finally not dizzy anymore. Now im just waiting for my workouts to actually shred this extra weight..

VirginiaAnne is offline New Member

Unhappy Cost vs benefit?

I am 41 and I have been on 30 mg Lexapro for almost three years. In that time I quit smoking, and I have put on sixty pounds. I am miserable, and my marriage is suffering. My husband is obviously repulsed by me. But before I went on the Lexapro I had gone through such a traumatic experience, and while I'd always had the tendency toward anxiety, once this trauma happened, I really went over the edge and was almost non-functional.

I don't know what to do. I want to lose weight, but I cannot go back to that place where I was before. I see a lot of discussion in this thread (true I haven't read every post of the 9 pages) about how much weight people are taking off or not taking off after quitting Lexapro, but I'm wondering about the symptoms that got you on the drug in the first place returning.

Just an update on the weight. I haven't lost any pounds over the last two weeks, however I got a pair of pants on that I wasn't able to because of the weight gain. Still working out even walking to the gym. This fat is insane. Like NO other weight gain.

Walked to the Gym today. Gym scale said 248 with sweat pants on. So prob 247/ 246 and change. That's good. Still the bulk of the weight is on the lower stomach. But at least a bit came off again. Ill keep you posted.

Daggerdoll is offline New Member

Default Weight gain.. lexapro stopped cold turkey

Feel your pain.. everyone.

47 years old - 3.5 years on Lexapro - 45 LB weight gain.. ugh!

I was a 5'4" 117lb 43 year old woman when I started lexapro.. Did it do wonders for me? Yes indeed! I loved it and still do. Not sure how I would have made it through all the trauma and psychological horrors of those times. I have never been over 120lb and a size 6 in my life (other than pregnancy). I was at 172 two weeks ago and a size 14.

I feel blessed. I hate my body. I stopped taking lexapro about 10 days ago. Not really intentionally but because I had a lot going on and missed a couple of days then left town without my medicine. I realized that i had missed 6 days and decided to get off of it. Might as well?

To be honest, I called my Doctor and he said "no way" you must get off gradually, you could have seizures, vomiting, chills, etc..... Well, being the stubborn female I am, I have totally disregarded his advice. I mean really, 6 days and since I was so busy I did not even realize I had not taken it and no real side effects...???? hmmm

Then, I came to this board read a ton and all of a sudden after 10 days, I can tell I am off it... haha!! Not sure if I do or don't have symptoms now. I do know I am feeling light headed and a little out of sync. Some zaps, which I expected. But nothing major...... yet!

Good news... I placed my bloated self on our scales and wow! First weight loss in years... in 10 days I have lost 6lbs and did not know it. TBH I thought my weight gain was thyroid, but after reading this forum, I am on the wagon... hope like hell it was Lexapro. I also hope I keep doing well going cold turkey. I am not an idiot, if I really have issues I will take a pill....or half.. and hope it helps that day... but I have no intention of spending the next year gaining another 15 pounds while tapering off.

I may never be a size 4 again but I sure don't want to stay where I am and all the exercise and dieting I have tried has not budged my weight.

Good luck to you all and I will try to post to give a weight loss (hopefully) time frame. I am not changing my eating or exercise habits, unless getting off Lexapro gives me a sudden boost of energy and "OMG I have to hit the gym" side effect.

Right now I feel sleepy at 9:00pm which is a first in years.. I am normally forcing my self into bed at 1 am to attempt sleep.
    Last edited by Daggerdoll; 04-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.

ral92 is offline New Member

Default Weight Gain :[

Although Lexapro did help, now that I've stopped I feel tons better.

I gained twenty pounds on lexapro and I stopped cold turkey in January (WHICH WAS A HUGE MISTAKE! DON'T DO IT!) and suffered from all the ugly side effects that are mentioned and basically hated life for a couple of weeks.

On Lexapro, not only was I starving all the time I was exhausted all of the time. I would go to bed at 10 pm and wake up at 12 pm the next day still tired. I spent basically 12 hours a day sleeping which probably attributed to the weight gain as well. I'm in college but I don't eat horribly. I hate sweets & love salads and love exercising but I haven't lost any weight yet.

Wondering how long it's taken for people to shed their lexapro pounds...

To sum up all 200 plus posts.... SSRis can cause weight gain without a surplus of calories in some (not all) people. The weight gain can come off right after stopping or it may take a long time. The weight can even continue to pile on for a period of time after stopping. No amount of excercise helps with the fat gained from ssris. It comes off whenever it does. Alot of people say their Drs don't believe them about the weight being directly caused by the SSRI. Some Drs think that these meds are weight neutral. Difference between weight neutral and does not cause weight gain is in the clinical trials as many people did not gain weight as did gain meaning if 100 people took a med 50 gained and 50 did not. 1/2 gained!!!! If your Dr. questions the validity of the reason for your weight gain and you honestly haven't changed any of your excercise/eating habits, tell him/her that you gained this weight training for a marathon. That seems to be the line hits the spot if someone doesn't believe you.

PreyingMantid is offline New Member

Default Another escitalopram appetite-raising metabolism-slowing victim

I was so totally glad to find this forum last week.

I will attempt to explain the evidence for my case to add to all the others.

When i am my perfect weight i am 54kg according to my last pair of scales. Whether i can keep to it seems to depend on weather making me feel like eating more (in the cold) or less and on lifestyle sometimes making exercising extremely inconvenient. The point is that i KNOW that if i do certain things i can lose the weight - and quickly - and i know what i need to do to acheive weight loss.

I moved to this city just over four years ago to start a Ph.D.. When i arrived, my electronic scales that i'd been using for a few years, said i was 56 kgs. I am 5'4", female, and late thirties now. I have a mesomorphic build with large leg bones, (but i can look good as long as i keep to such a low weight - so i NEED to be light). I always bike for about an hour 5-6 times per week and don't just loll along so it is a reasonable amount and intensity of exercise.

In December 2008 before i started to take escitalopram i was on Seroquel for anxiety severely exacerbated by a serious bullying and mobbing situation in the academic department where i had started my current research project. At the end of the month I weighed 54kg after an intense bout of field work.

A year later in October 2009 i started on escitalopram. I immediately felt that my heat tolerance, which was generally so good it amazed people, took a dive and i was having problems doing my field work. I also gradually started to eat more, feel less motivated, and put on weight. I also started to get seasonal affective disorder so badly i was unable to work a lot of the time over the winter and in 2011 at the end of winter i was looking disgustingly bloated and just basically fat. Not the usual me. i just didn't care about how much i was eating - i would stuff cheese, crisps, chocolate, biscuits into myself like there was no tomorrow. I had little motivation or physical energy, which made me eat whatever i got the urge to and not use up the energy. I started to feel too disgusting to want a physical relationship with my f-buddy.

In October 2011 i went to a gym for two months twice a week in addition to bike riding when it wasn't raining and found that sometimes i couldn't muster up the energy to complete a 40 minute cardio. This was at the end of winter and the SAD might have contributed, but this is VERY unusual for me. I am generally hyperactive and need to exercise just to be able to sleep, although the prolonged extreme stress from three years of constant and deliberate humilation and threats (bullying) in the academic department may have contributed. I did notice that i was ballooning out.

I was only ever on 5mg of escitalopram. In December 2011 i tapered off for just over a week. It was fine - some headache, slight dizziness, and slight nausea, but nothing that stopped me working and nothing freaky. Finally from Christmas day 2011, i took no more of the drug. I was getting ready to get my pride in myself back. I cut back on all the snacking easily and in mid-January started to do intense cardio and weight training for hypertrophy every 3 days approximately. I was convinced i was on my way back to the real me.

In mid-May i bought some scales. When i got on them they said 70kg. I "knew" i could not be that heavy because i had never been before so i took them back to the shop because they "had to" be faulty. To my disappointment and amazement, the customer server said, "Look i know i'm 60kg," got on them, and it was about that. The other girl standing there did the same but she was 70kg. I also weighed myself at the gym and got a similar result to what my scales said. This was unbelievable.

Now almost a month later i still have not lost any of the weight despite having been eating reasonably, not excessively. Same as many others, i have a huge hang-over bloated-looking belly that used to be flat. I also have some fat around the thighs and backside and despite the weight training my upper arms are still flabby. I also feel low on energy now that the cloudy weather is returning, though. After finding this forum i decided to go on a liver cleanse and am taking Thompson's liver clease 3 times per day and trying to eat turmeric and licorice root when possible.

Maybe the drug affects liver function - it looks like it from what i know. I really worry about whether this can be reversed. My weight affects my pride in myself but also my ability to keep doing the work i do for a long time. I need to be healthy. I feel as if i am still unmotivated compared to before, low on energy, even though i haven't taken the drug since Christmas. I used to be ultra-motivated and hyperactive. I wish the drug companies had done some research on long-term effects and after-effects. I am really surprised at what has happened to me.

I will try to get back here to tell of any progress later.

Default Another escitalopram appetite-raising metabolism-slowing victim

[deleted - duplicate post]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.

denise82 is offline New Member

Default I finally got off Lex and lost the weight :)

I've been through it with Lexapro. I went on; gained, went off, and lost. Anyone that says Lexapro itself cannot cause weight gain cannot possibly be right....Here's my experience:

I dealt with severe social anxiety and was on Lexapro for a little less than 3 years. Ever since I've begun the medication it has been a slow, steady, stubborn, weight gain. It resulted ultimately in 20 pounds extra on a girl that has been tiny her whole life. I felt as though being off of it wasn't an option, and every time I went to the doctor she said that it was a weight neutral drug, and that I was gaining weight because I was getting older. I'm 25. I weighed the same thing from 14 to 22, I knew something wasn't right. I killed myself with high intensity cardio workouts and eating less, but when all my efforts were to no avail, I just gave up. The weight would NOT come off no matter what I did, I felt crazy!!!

I decided to try Celexa instead and the weight has DROPPED OFF of my body, even after three years of Lexapro! It would say it's taken me a couple of months of being off of it to feel better, in fact, I think my anxiety is better, especially now that the Lex is out of my system, I've attempted withdrawal many times without luck, don't think that the anxiety you experience during withdrawal is what life will be like without Lexapro.

I do exercise, I walk for an hour about 3 or 4 days a week, nothing too intense, and I attempt to eat 1200 calories a day, but when I'm hungry enough that I need to eat more, I do. I've lost 10 of the 20 pounds in the last month and I continue to lose, I feel my body functions like it used to, before the Lexapro, it feels nice to be my normal self again.

I don't know if Celexa can slow metabolism like Lexapro, but what I do know is that weight loss is possible on it and it does NOT do to me what Lexapro did! I know everyone is different but I remember the hopeless feelings I felt not long ago and how good I feel now, so I wanted to share.
    Starr girl likes this.

kelstar is offline New Member

Okay Am new to this and sooooo scared to take my second lexapro. Not for the weight gain but I just feel like I am in a pit and can't climb out. I was on lexapro for a week 10mgs for 4 days down to 5mgs for 3 and had to stop as I hated the side effects Dizziness and feeling worthless BUT my psych has told me to go back on it and give it the 2-3 weeks. My doctor says if it made me ill to change so am getting conflicting stories. Does it really get easier
    Thanks

To Kelstar:

Try taking 5mg - that will reduce side effects and it may possibly be all you need. If not, you can increase the dose. Try one dose for at least 6 weeks - it could take that long before the initial side effects wear off. For me, i was extremely drowsy for the first several weeks, but then fine after that. I reckon if you start to notice weight gain, which seems to be gradual, you could taper off slowly and then try another ssri. Maybe alternating drugs would reduce weight gain or at least the poop out effect.

I am going to try once again bringing the daily max calorie intake to 1500 and see what happens.

I sent an email to a Dr Charles Raisen who wrote an article on SSRI weight gain ( search for it ) and he got back to me. He said that there is nothing new on why or how ssris cause weight gain or why it doesn't come right off after stopping the medication. He basically said that the weight/fat has a life of its own and comes off whenever it does. So try not to stress this like myself and just know that you cannot do anything special eating or excercise wise to get rid of this weight. I guess the only thing you can do for a quick fix is Zeltiq fat freezing. Maybe the body will remember how to lose weight after doing that.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast