Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
weight gain and lexapro
    johnhopps is offline Member

Default HArvestlover and Rebvrolo

Harvest yes it will eventually go back to your pre weight but usually takes time. Rebvrolo I was on Luvox which is the non generic of Fluvoximine and it made me gain 18 pounds. I may not make you gain anything but just an FYI it can. Good news is I suffer from obsessive thoughts OCD also and it did a great job. Currently I'm on Prozac/Fluoxetine and I haven't gained weight. It also helps very well with the Obsessive thinking. Good Luck

rolltidert is offline New Member

Default How long until weight loss begins?

I have been on Lexapro for a few years. Yes, gained about 20 lbs. Went off for about 3 months and didn't see much happen. I think I was premature but figured I would start again on the drug...getting a little edgy. The week I began, I dropped 5 lbs. Then a total of 10. I stayed on the drug but over the past 2 months, the weight is beginning to go up. Haven't gained all the weight back but going off the drug again.
    Question....just how long does it take off the drug to see weight loss. I've seen both schools of thought........some say it can begin right away and others say months. What's the experiences out there.
    Thanks everyone. for the good posts I've read.

Asharr is offline Banned

Lexapro is also harmful in this way that if you would take the wrong dosage of it then it would boost your heart beat and will cause your kidney to swell.
    Thanks

Now 238.5. Nothing has come off in 6 weeks. A bit dissapointed. Although I'm lightyears away from how I looked a few months ago. Still have 9 pounds to go. Good news is I'm on Fluoxetine and haven't gained. Hopefully I will lose the rest of the weight.

windsong129 is offline New Member

Smile Thank you!!!

Thank you for posting during your journey! It has given me the encouragement and information to begin decreasing my Lexapro. I will be free of the medication by September!!

I never realized HOW MANY side effects I had as a result of Lexapro until researching and reading all your posts! (Numbness in extremities, "brain cloud", constant sleepiness, apathy, along with 30 lb weight gain - all at the cost of dealing with depression caused by menopause)

Again, THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by windsong129; 08-06-2011 at 11:43 AM.

I becoming a bit concerned as I believe the scale has creaped up a few lbs. Not 100% sure yet but I will know for sure soon. I may have to lower my fluoxetine dose or quit all together.

grannyjones is offline New Member

Smile ever been tested for thyroid???

Quote Originally Posted by littlebit-627 View Post
    I was researching on the internet and by sheer luck I stumbled onto this website. I read some threads on lexapro and weight gain and FINALLY I feel validated.

I've been on lex about a year. At first I started out 5mg every other day and worked myself up to 10mg every other day. I went thru a sort of depression a few months ago (due to weight gain and unable to lose lose the weight) and increased my dose to 10mg per day for about the last month.

Since I've been on the lex I've gained about ten pounds. I'm very weight concious and have been a daily exerciser for years. Weight training and cardio.

Like so meny other people that I read about, as hard as they try, no weight comes off. I eat healthy. Vegies, oatmeal, protein. No fast food and junk most of the time. Took my calories down to 800 hundred a day, exercised every day, did so well but the scale never moved. So so so discouraging. I have anxiety and panic attacks cuz I can't take off the weight no matter how hard I try. It's almost funny, it seems to be the one of the biggest reasons I need the lexapro.

I haven't taken the lexapro for two days now. As a last guess that the lex was causing the problem. A fter reading all the threads today, I dumped the rest in the trash. Decided to not speak with the doctor. I told him in the very beginning that I wouldn't stay on the stuff if it made me gain weight. Like one other lady who wrote in, he said to me that maybe if I put on a few pounds, that would be good for me. The lexapro might make me feel like I could let myself do that. I was at the time, slightly underweight.

The cravings and increased apetite drive me crazy. Make me feel like I've lost all control. Like I said, that creates more anxiety then ever.

But, all this new validation has given me hope and tomarrow is a new day. Side affects so far. Maybe a little less patience. Crabby sometimes. Mostly with myself and lack of self control over the food. I've always had night sweats. Never realized it was a side affect. No headaches yet, but tomarrow back to work, so we'll see...........

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your metabolism back into wack??? I'd sure appreciate anyone out there giving me some advice, maybe even a buddy to keep in touch with as I try to work all this out and get back to my regular size. Thanks!
    Have you ever had your thyroid tested? The issues with your weight sounds like a symptom of hypothyroidism. I had the same symptoms while taking lexapro and was tested and told i had it.

Just an update. Yes the 40mg prozac did cause weight gain. About 6 lbs So I'm back to 243 and have 14lbs to lose to get to my pre-lexapro ( first tried ssri) weight(229). And just to answer the thryroid question even though it wasn't for me. A slow thyrois for the most part causes your body to burn up to a couple hundred less cal per day. You can still lose weight but you just have to eat less/burn more cal. With these meds even though it isn't with ever person, they cause weight gain no matter what. You can run a marathon every day and still gain.

titian5 is offline New Member

Wink So similar to my story

YOU WROTE:
    I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, and depression

RESPONSE:
    Me too - Was put on Wellbutrin because Zoloft worked but caused slow weight gain and that eventually made me feel depressed in itself. Wellbutrin made me have full blown panic attacks - hyper-ventilating on buses, racing heart, feeling like I was gonna die, etc. So instead of taking me off the time released wellbutrin like I wanted, the Dr. put me on Lexapro to counteract it. Then I got pregnant and I was able to talk the Dr. into cutting my doses of everything in half, but I still think that being on the meds may have caused my daughter's atrial septal defect (although, I was born with one too (an ASD), so that may have been a factor - even though all the drs. tell me that it's not at all a genetic condition.)

YOU WROTE:
    Usually, it begins with constant crying, and then a slow return of anxiousness.

RESPONSE:
    Oh my god, yes!!! So irritable and anxious getting off the lexapro (hoping to get off the wellbutrin too, since I finally got a dr to prescribe me the non-time-released version and now I could slowly cut down.)
    I've been off the Lex about a week this time - and started to go off of it before - and CONSTANT CRYING for whole days at a time. I'll be fine and then suddenly something will piss me off and I'm full blown irate! Ready to chop heads off!

YOU WROTE:
    But I'm very depressed about being fat and unable to get control of my weight!

RESPONSE:
    I feel the same way - felt that way on Zoloft eventually too. I'm an actor, so it really stresses me out both personally and professionally.

YOU WROTE:
    So, tonight, I'm going to start cutting my meds in half, from 20mg of Lex, to 10mg, than off. Maybe I'll stay with the Wellbutrin for awhile to see if it will work on its own.

RESPONSE:
    That's my plan too - and then eventually getting off the Wellbutrin too.

YOU WROTE:
    Brain bounce, dizziness, numbness and wobbly legs.

RESPONSE:
    I'm getting some of the brain bounce, dizziness, extremely spacey!!!
    Tired - although I was tired on the Lex too.
    Very tired, but can't stop doing stuff - like I'm go, go, going, even though I'm exhausted.

YOU WROTE:
    Anyone out there know what I'm saying?? Thanks for the listen.

RESPONSE:
    So, yes - know where you are coming from. And thanks back at ya!

titian5 is offline New Member

Angry Pregnancy weight gain/loss and Lexapro

Background:
    Was on Wellbutrin alone for about 6 months with TERRIBLE panic attacks (A dr once told me that she would never put me on Wellbutrin since I'd come to her because of panic attacks, but when I gained weight on Zoloft, another Dr. did put me on it - and viola! Panic attacks!!!) So, then another new Dr. put me on Lexapro, which I was on for about 3 months before I got pregnant. I talked her into cutting my dose of Lexapro and Wellbutrin in half.

So, now it's been two years since I gave birth - so about three years since I went on the lexapro and I can't seem to lose weight, even though I'm still breastfeeding and even though my family history would suggest that I would lose weight after having a baby (my mom and both my sisters got thinner after having kids)
    The other thing that makes me suspect Lexapro as the culprit in my weight gain is that while I was on it (Lex) and Wellbutrin during my pregnancy, I gained just the amount I was supposed to - about 20 lbs. Within 2-3 weeks of giving birth I was right back down to my normal weight (137) Within about a month after that, I was back up to 157!!! SO WEIRD! I keep thinking that my hormones must have taken over while I was pregnant and right after giving birth and then the meds kicked back into being in control. Thoughts?

SJP1 is offline New Member

I'v been looking for answers to how long after stopping taking Lexapro the weight starts to come off. I came off it 3 1/2 months ago and I haven't lost the 17 pounds I put on. I cycle, run, do yoga but nothing has shifted. Just 2-3 pounds fluctuation when I increase exercise/eat very little, but it comes back if I eat 'normally'. The fat is all around my stomach/love handles, like everyone else. And I'm depressed - crying fits 6-7 times a day. Feeling hopeless. Some suidical thoughts, but manageable. I just peel myself off the floor and climb into bed. Cry. Sleep some and then try to get up to face the rest of the day. That's the luxury on the weekends, but weekdays, I have to go into work. If I have enough warning, I get to lock the door and cry under my desk. Otherwise, I have to dive into a nearby loo. Objectively speaking, there's nothing wrong, but I feel like I'm in hell. I've never been this weight before in my life. I think losing some of the weight and getting back into my clothes would help. I took Lex for anxiety after a traumatic event combined with a marital separation and issues raised in counselling about childhood traumatic event - I was constantly crying and unable to cope. Lex certainly dampened the anxiety and crying and so did the job for that. I was never told of these side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I wish I knew. It would make these past few months more bearable. Thank you for this posting and for this forum. It gives hope. Can anyone else tell a good news story of their weight coming off?

Everyone is different with the weight gain and loss. You can research my posts a nd have my story in your hands. Im not on Lex but another ssri. Last time I ballooned to 256 from 229( a lean 229 abs etc,). Nothing came off for 3 months then finally it started. I got down to 237 then wanted to try prozac cause I heard it didnt cause weight gain. Under 20mg I didn't gain anything for 2 months. I tried 40 and went up to 243/244 within 2 weeks. I stopped again like a month ago but haven't lost anything yet. I haven't gained though and I'm hoping within a month I will start to lose and finally get back to 229. I might try 20mg prozac again cause I didn't gain but no more than that. Good luck. JUst don't excercise like crazy and burn yourself out cause it really won't help. It comes off when it wants to, not when you want it to.

So im continuing to gain weight even though I'm off prozac for a month. Same thing happened when I went off Zoloft. These ssris suck for me. I had just gotten down to a respectable weight for myself and was starting to have my old physique back and now I gotta start all over again. Only good thing is that I already experienced it and I am not going to run 5 miles a day knowing that ill will not help me out when it comes to weight loss. I will instead pump some serious weights as me weighing more will allow me to do that. Hopefully with some added muscle when I finally do lose the weight I will look good.

So now it's full blown. Up about ten additional pounds in a month AFTER stopping prozac. Close to 250. My gut feels so heavy. I don't even want to run because of it. I just hopw it starts to come off soon. Keep ya posted.

BOOP58 is offline New Member

Angry

I have done some research and lexapro does produce cortisol which in turn makes it impossible to lose weight. I stopped taking lexapro after 2.5 years 12 weeks ago and my weight has only budged by 5 pounds and am stuck. I have started taking 5htp and am going to my dr. To check my cortisol levels with a saliva test. Any positive feedback concerning this is most welcome.

let us know about the cortisol ? I doubt its that because apparently it is not known why they cause weight gain. also.there is.no pill to reduce cortisol.cause.its.a stress hormone so even if its cortisol youre just gonna have to wait it out.

Yeah I am grasping at straws......just so frustrating!!!!!!

ive been through it. it actually does start to.come off. ounces at a time not pounds. also fluctuations are huge. plus and minus up to ten pounds per day. very different then normal weight loss.

how bout this one. ive been off meds for 7 weeks and since I stopped meds I have gained yes thats right gained 10 pounds. I have been through this before thats why im not spazzing out. I know within a month I will start to lose weight. also an fyi last time i stopped meds I lost a few inches off the waist but nothing off the scale for a while. I thought that wasnt possible but with these meds anything is. so you may want to track your dimensions.

I have been following your progress and let downs and I know what you mean by the slowness of the loss and the gaining and losing. What is in this med that does this to your body. I am trying the no carb thing for a while and see what goes. You give me hope that I will eventually lose the pounds. Prob be dead before i lose it all though LOL.

the meds put on weight but it isn't a metabolism thing cause if it was you would gain weight normally not just in the stomach /obliques. the weight gain being concentrated in over area mean it isn't normal wright. who knows, maybe it isn't new fat cells but just them expanding.i would normally get a fat roll if I gained. with this stuff the fat seems more internal and less hangy, more of one big lump of fat

im down a few pounds finally.
    BOOP58 likes this.

Have you ever gotten down to your pre weight ssri? Are you taking anything right now? I know you have been on and off a few diff meds. Got up to 138 with LEXAPRO down to 128 have been off meds almost 4 months now no meds at all. So scared the ocd will return before i am able to lose all the pounds. Want to be pre ssri weight of 112. Will i ever see that day?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-18-2011 at 09:39 PM.

you will. hopefully you can lose all of it then go on a low enough dose that doesnt make you gain. or you can try klonopun or xanax for the anxiety and not worry about the weight gain cause they dont cause it.

amyoung02 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Lexapro itself DOES NOT (i repeat, does not!) cause weight gain.

Hi guys. After reading the messages on this post, I just wanted to add a reply to this discussion. If you are taking Lexapro (or any SSRI for that matter) and have gained a substantial amount of weight, don't blame the pill, blame the hunger! Prior to taking this medication, I weighed a thin (but healthy) 120 and was a diet and workout buff. About three months later, I weighed in at 135. Nearly a year after, I couldn't believe when I hopped on the scale and it read 145. I had gained 25 pounds in less than a year! Just when I lost all hope and started reading discussions online that stated that Lexapro slows down the metabolism, therefore it was physically impossible to lose weight, I nearly broke down. I just kept eating "comfort foods" such as jalapeno poppers, pepperoni rolls, and pizza in the latest hours of the night because I figured, hey, if I'm going to keep gaining weight I might as well start eating all of the fatty foods that I hadn't eaten for years.

However, I had a complete turnaround when I realized that I'm sick of not fitting into my "skinny jeans" and tired of the thigh and belly fat. I concluded that I was going to start dieting and working out daily again, because it's definitely worth a shot! Now, a few months later, I have already lost 15 pounds! And yes, I am still taking my 10mg of Lexapro daily. With this said, we could rule out the scary myths that come with taking Lexapro, such as the metabolism shutting down and unavoidable weight gain. Sure, the medication WILL make you hungry, no doubt about it! I went from eating salads and steamed veggies to french fries with ranch dressing and bacon cheeseburgers. People, do not lose all hope because weight gain is something you definitely could avoid. With an hour of exercise (I recommend cardio) per day and a strict, healthy diet, you could prevent the weight gain or lose the weight you have gained from the medication. 15 pounds lighter, I feel absolutely great! I don't have to go off of my Lexapro now!

amyoung02 is offline New Member

It's not impossible to lose weight. Read my latest reply to this thread. Lost 15 pounds in less than three months on this medication. Also, researchers are STILL trying to figure out what causes the weight gain, therefore there is no exact cause to pinpoint.

congrats on the weight loss. it seems that the pill made you hungry so you ate more and gained weight. for some it isn't extra caloric intake due to the pill, its just the pill itself. when you eat 2k cal per day and work out the same before the pill and gain 30 pounds in 2 months, theres a problem with the pill.
    BOOP58 likes this.

I would have to agree with johnhopps on the pill being a cause of weight gain that is VERY VERY stubborn to take off.

I guess you are one of the very lucky ones. i am not saying weight gain happens to everybody and everybody has trouble losing the weight but the majority of us do. I don't know what to think anymore, all I know is since I started on Lexapro I feel thick and heavy and even though I am off them I just can't shake that or all of the 26 pounds gained.

on dec 1st 2010 I stopped an ssri. on feb 26 '11. I lost like 6 lbs in a day. the scale wasnt even budging. on may 13 I was 243.and july.26 237 just 8 away from my goal. thats when I decided to give prozac a shot at 40 mg. I ballooned to 255 which is where I.am now 26 lbs over also. it has been since aug 18 since I.have taken anything and have lost zero. my waist is 3 over at the navel and 4 over at the obliques. all the fat is there. not so much in the face and very little in the thighs. if history repeats itself I will start to lose on nov 13. but this is a joke. I went from a borderline 6 pack flat stomach like a girl to having a 25 pound mound of fat on my stomach. I boxed,jogged,biked,did weights and ate well. before and after ssris. excuse the periods as I type from my phone Iu

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast