Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Ultram / Ultracet / Tramadol
    Dazz is offline New Member

Well, Guys....today I'm at 3 a day of 50 mg Tramadol. I have ZERO energy and don't sleep so well at night but other than that this taper schedule has minimized withdrawal. Im wondering how long it will take to feel normal again...whatever "normal" is.

angela3roses is offline New Member

Hey all. I have been taking 400mg ultram for 2 1/2 years. Prior to that, 300mg for approx 3 years. I used to say 'if feeling better is being addicted...then I guess I'm addicted'. I feel like such a complete idiot for not recognizing this addiction more quickly. You know, those 'idiot proof' symptoms: popping a 'dose' as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning, that feeling of being half dead if you're only an hour or so 'past the dose time', feeling better within 5 minutes of your 'dose'. I honestly have no embarrasment admitting this addiction...I do not believe it to be 'our fault'. When I began this drug, I informed my doc "as a single mom - I refuse any addictive substance for pain relief or any other purpose and want nothing that could render me incapable of my 'duties'". I want off this drug!!!! However, I have no clue how with my 'daily life'. Taking a dose 'late' leaves me 'tingling, jolting, anxious, nervouse, blah blah blah - you've heard it all before...I just feel cheated, trying to 'feel' better and now - my symptoms have worsened on top of the addiction...tnx to all for listening!

schroedpot is offline New Member

I've been reading some of these horror stories of addiction to ultram, and it scares the **** outa me.

I take one 50 mg tramadol tablet each night before bed, because I often get rudely awakened by shooting pains in the night time. I've been doing this for probably a year. Occassionally (maybe twice a week) I'll take up to three-50 mg tablets during the day if my back really sucks.

Is this something I should be worried about? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

littlesue is offline New Member

Hi Im a new member but I know just how bad that drug can be.I was taking close to 30 Ultram A DAY!.Im so lucky I made it out alive.Dr always say Oh they arent addictive but they are habit forming what the hell is the difference.I really think more testing & research should be done before FDA approval

MarkDark is offline New Member

Ok whats up everyone. First off I'd like to say Don't listen to much of what "Kris07" says. Tramadol withdrawls are not worse or as bad as >>>>>> withdrawls. YOu can Die from >>>>>> Withdrawl. This is why they have Methadone Clinics to save >>>>>> Addict's Lives from dying from withdrawls by distributing them daily doses of Methadone which is the best opiate for severely taking away the withdrawls from >>>>>>. It can also keep them away the next day when you wake up. They last much longer than other pain killers.(I've never taken >>>>>> by the way but I have taken a good amount of Methadone.)

The worst withdrawl from any pain killer opiate besides >>>>>> in my scientific opinion would be the Vicoden withdrawl. I've went through 3 of them. They seem to be more severe withdrawl symptoms for some reason...and they arent even as good as Percocets or Loracets. I have taken all pain killers because of a chronic pain disease I have called Fibromyalgia. But this Ultram/Tromadol I am taking now scares me. I do not have Epilepsy (spelling?), and I have never had a seizure. By the way, Xanex will give you Seizures even possibly deadly ones when you go through withdrawls only. Like the people that take them every day for years. This is Highly not recommended. It's almost definite you will have a seizure when you dont have your daily dose after being that physically addicted to them. But I would like to know how Seizures from Tramadol compare to the Xanex as far as how dangerous and risk factor. I am going to ease off them and not take them everyday anymore. Even though they only relieve some pain...I have to take at least 150-200mg to even notice any relief. Fact: FDA says you should never take over 400mg of Ultram/Tramadol a day. I would also like to know what is the mg limit when it starts to get really dangerous as far as the seizures and if anything else. Must be over 400mg but would be nice to know how much since FDA is playing it safe most likely.

But if you are going to take pain killers everyday for 2 weeks or more you are going to have withdrawls for 3 days really bad when you quit cold turkey. Minor withdrawl symtoms have also been known last as long as 2 weeks after those 3 crucial hard days. The first day is pretty bad you get Flu-Like Symptoms, Bones and Muscles Ache, Might get restless legs, Anxiety, depending on how many a day you were taking you might Puke, Loss of Apetite, Headaches, Chills, Body Rushes, Etc. The 2nd Day is the worst. The 3rd Day is much easier than the 1st and 2nd. Then you've won the first step and hardest step of the battle. And of course the severeness of the withdrawl symptoms depend on a mixture of your personal intake of the opiate by the daily dose and how long you were on them. In extreme cases like one guy I knew, He didnt sleep for 2 weeks and puked everyday. But he was on 45 Vicodens a day and then got himself down to 25 before he quit cold turkey ....This is an Insane amount of Opiate Intake! Never do that much, I could not even imagine what his withdrawls felt like, they were horrid no doubt.

Just be responsible and don't abuse your opiates and make sure you ween off them to lessen the withdrawl effects when you are ready to quit. And once you start gaining a tolerance (which happens fast on a daily dose plan) stay off them for a bit cause the best way to take them and safest is not every day. You wont need to double up your dose ever to feel the same relief or high that you did before this way also.

MarkDark is offline New Member

Oh and "LittleSue", taking 30 Ultram a day is just asking for a deadly seizure. Girl you better find out the safest way to get off those immediatly.

And they dont say Ultram is addicting but they do say its Habit Forming. But in my honest opinion those 2 arent far apart in meaning. Especially for those unfortunate people who have the genetics for an Addictive Personality.

Ultram gives a feeling of a really small dose of Codiene or something similar to that warm fuzzy pain killer feeling. It's nowhere near as strong, and its not even as strong as a Tylenol 3 so to speak. But its not a narcotic because it doesnt contain any codiene or anything (I dont think). It might be like a ">>>>" Pain killer that technicly just acts like an opiate by binding itself to the opioide receptors in your body or whatever they say it does. Which doesnt suprise me why it causes seizures.

straightshooter65 is offline New Member

I have in fact posted on this subject before and agreed that Ultram withdrawal was a real, and not imagined phenomenon. Withdrawal from something does not in itself mean you were “addicted”. It simply means that your body had adjusted to the introduction of a certain chemical and when you stop, your body has to re-adjust. Not to say there are no true addicts, because there are. Don’t be too quick to label yourself an “addict” simply because of withdrawal symptoms or the need to take a medication daily in order to ward off pain or other nasty symptoms secondary to medical problems. Now, if you’re popping Valium, Oxy, or whatever for the “buzz”, or to “cope” with life, we enter into different territory there. At that point I would strongly encourage seeking help, post haste.

I have recently been diagnosed with “Interstitial Cystitis”, which is just about par for my luck these days! In this arena you have a broad range of symptoms, some of them so gnarly, folks have to keep a portable commode at bedside because they have to pee every 15 minutes. Others describe debilitating pain. I have a “mild form” according to my urologist, but the symptoms will drive you literally mad! Some of the treatments are even worse!!! To cut to the chase, I take Ultram 50mg. TID, and this improves my over-all quality of life by about 80%. Different things work for different people. My first Urologist told me to stop taking them (originally prescribed because my right shoulder would flair up every now and then); I just stumbled on its “other” benefit by accident. Since then, both my G.P. and one of the best Urologist’s in the world (it’s nice to be close to Stanford) have said “no problem”. My G.P. or what do they call them now “P.C.P.”, wrote me almost an endless script! I originally asked for Ultram because it was reported to be “non-addicting”, come to find out, just about everything can be “addicting”, just depends on the person involved. I plan to take Ultram until this “issue” is under control and on it’s way out. Without it, my quality of life drops like a rock, and there is no need for that to happen. I am not an “addict”; I am a patient, with well-documented symptoms, followed by at least three MD’s at this point. If I sought Ultram after the symptoms subsided, then I would re-think and re-tool!

I think one should always be suspicious of taking too many Rx’s, or better yet “new” medications that have just hit the market. There is incredible profit to be made in this business. Much more then the Tobacco folks. With the technology we have now, don’t you think a “cure” to most “cancers” would have been found by now??? There is more profit in treating a disease then curing one, and that is a sad state of affairs (criminal in my book). I suggest using common sense, research new meds (and even old ones), ALWAYS ask about or check into “DRUG – DRUG” interactions and subsequent life threatening side-effects. Just because “they” wear a white coat does not make them infallible or mistake proof. And many wearing those white coats these days are far from what you think they “really” are. Many are Medical Assistants, Nursing aides, Pharmacy techs, and whatever else. Who have nowhere near the knowledge base of the professional they are pretending to be. To save money, many HMO’s and Hospitals hire these “graduate in just six months, and be ready to enter the medical career of your dreams” folks and give them titles meant to confuse, and give you the illusion that a real Nurse or Pharmacist is treating you. Never be afraid to ask questions or question authority in a Hospital or other similar environment.

This is not meant as a slam or “flame”, but the proceeding comment about >>>>>> addicts dying if they don’t get Methadone is almost a farce. I’ve been working in the Criminal Justice and Addiction management field for over a decade and I’ve never seen anyone die from >>>>>> withdrawal. They might feel like it, but it is extremely doubtful, unless they had a bad heart or some other contributing condition. Now, Alcohol (ETOH) or Benzos are a different story. Withdrawal from these substances requires careful and vigilant medical monitoring, and yes, Benzos are used, but triturated down gradually, until the patient is stable. Methadone treatment is called “Harm Reduction”. Please, resist the temptation to debate me on this, because I won’t respond.

Peace,

JD[8D]

blkjk78 is offline New Member

Hey All-
    I just signed up to this posting because I'm at the point now where I feel that I can help out with those addicted to tramadol. It's kind of frustrating to read a lot of these posts of people saying that tramadol addicts aren't true "addicts". If you've been addicted to heavy pain killers or >>>>>> or something, YES it's a worse addiction, but it's all relative to the person who's addicted. If someone has never been addicted to a drug and they get addicted to tramadol, it really is a horrible feeling to know that your life has now become controlled by a drug. I don't take anything away from the major withdrawal problem people have had with heavier drugs, but people need to be a bit more sensitive to the people with tramadol addiction. Just because you were addicted to a heavier drug doesn't mean that a tramadol addict is going thru something easy. I applaud all those who were able to kick heavier drugs because I know how hard it was for me to kick tramadol and I can only imagine (and honestly don't want to) the severity of withdrawal from heavier drugs.

I figure if I can tell my story, that people can have a better outlook on kicking tramadol. I'm more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more...but here's my story. Basically I wound up on the receiving end of the family migraine problems. I get a bad skitoma which leads to a horrible headache that can last for days at a time and keep you physically ill at the same time. So my GP has tried for years to find a drug that works well for me, but you have to go thru quite a few drugs in order to find out what's best. My problem is that my headaches were so severe at times, I'd take multiple pills to try to make them go away. I was started on Midrin, it's a pain killer like aspirin with caffeine and a mild sedative - supposedly they're habit forming, but I really didn't have a problem with them. But the doses for long-lasting migraines are heavy. I was told to start with three pills because I'm a big guy and then two every half hour until the headache goes away. Well, when you're dealing with days-long headaches, you end up with a heavy dose. So over the course of tx with the midrin, my stomach has basically become lead to the point that any drug I take, whether it be a major pain killer or ibuprofen, will not work on my body unless I take a higher dose - my doc said it's a problem some people have. The Midrin didn't really work all that well so after going thru another couple of months of various medications, my Doc switched me to Ultracet which is tramadol and tylenol. Basically I found that it gave you a bit of a buzz and I was hooked. Since everything I read about it at the time said that it wasn't addictive, I never even thought I had a problem until the Ultracet just wasn't cutting it anymore and I switched to buying straight tramadol off the internet because it carried a higher dose per pill. I started just by taking them at night, even if I wasn't having a migraine. Taking 5 or 6 in a dose wasn't a big deal to me at first because, again, I always have to take a higher dose to get effects (though it started as a dose of three). But I realized that my body was actually becoming addicted when I ran out and found that the next day I was really tired, crabby and just couldn't sleep. I thought maybe I was just coming down with something and NEVER thought that it could have been the tramadol. Over the next couple of days I got all of about 2 hours of poor sleep and I just felt like ****. I got a new bottle of tramadol and within 30mins of taking a dose I felt great again. That's when I knew that I had just experienced "withdrawal". So I figured I'd just taper off and quit taking them...which I find is something that EVERYONE plans on doing, but it's always easier said than done. I was no exception...over the course of two years I had worked up to taking 50 pills A DAY just to keep myself normal. I know there was a post a bit before this one that had asked at what kind of dose do seizures present themselves...well I guess it would depend on who you are (your size and how much you're taking) but I found that it was the build up over time of the tramadol in my system that actually caused my first seizure. You can definitely tell when you've taken too much and when you're getting to the point of having seizures. If you take a dose and within a couple of hours you get a feeling like you're being shocked, you're definitely beginning to go too far. It's almost like the feeling you get right before you fall asleep and feel like you're falling and jolt yourself awake. That'll last for a couple of days and soon after, if you keep taking them, the seizure will come. My first seizure was after I had worked up to about 40 pills a day...I just blacked out at work and woke up after being loaded into an ambulance. Despite knowing I had a problem, I still didn't tell the docs about it and continued on thinking, again, that I'd taper down. I was scared sh*tless, but still was more afraid of the withdrawal so I kept taking them and gradually worked my dose down to about 20 a day before I started taking them full-force again and worked up to 50 a day. I had my second seizure at home...same thing...didn't tell the docs. But finally, after 2 1/2 yrs of taking these and having two seizures I knew I had to quit and decided to do it on my own.
    They say seizures are a possibility with the withdrawal, but I didn't have any because I was on an anti-seizure med - but any previous time that I went thru withdrawal, I didn't have a problem with seizures, so I'm not sure if they'll actually occur. Over the first 7 days or so it really was bad for me. No sleep, horrible mood, and just overall aches and pains in the body - shaking - crying - stuff like that was tough to deal with. There's also this really strange feeling I got in my eyes - if I moved them a certain way I got this really odd feeling thru my body and it's hard to describe but it's the one thing I really hated. Unfortunately it's also the withdrawal symptom that lasted the longest. The major stuff was really pretty much over in about 10 days - the funky eye feeling finally subsided after about two months and the cravings finally susided after about four months or so. I've been off now for about two years and I'm so glad I did it. It's a killer because of the financial situation it can put you in but you just don't see it at the time because tramadol honestly gives you a great "well-being" feeling...it's not so much the buzz as it helps you concentrate, be in a good mood..stuff like that. But it's horrible being controlled by a drug.
    Well I'm sorry for rambling on so much with this post, but I wanted to get my story out and just throw in my two cents. Like I said earlier, I'm more than happy to help someone out who just wants to talk about the problem and I think it's kind of my final step in kicking the whole tramadol thing to help people out.
    Thanks for reading thru this - lemme know if you wanna talk to me (blkjk78@aol.com)
    -Pat

cofee2 is offline New Member

Hello all, I've been taking oxycontin 60 mils give or take for roughly a year, combined with percocet and vicodin. I didn't always take them whole. I chewed them quite frequently because I didn't get the pain relief I was after. I broke my back last year in roughly the same spot that was injured in an auto accident 12 years ago. I have thoracic disc disease in my entire thoracic area. Any ways I was hooked. I got sick of trying to get by the last week before my prescription renewel by taking 1 oxycontin a day. God nows you don't want to go without any for more than a day. Any way to make a long story short I went to see my doc and told him that the oxycodone wasn't really helping anymore, hoping he'd give me a bigger prescription. Well that didn't fly. He gave me a script for Gabapentin(Neurontin) Well I tell you what the first day I was walking around like a zombie, really dizzy. I was taking 300 MG twice a day. I haven't had any narcotics since and have not had any withdrawel symptoms at all. No cravings, hot flashes or sweating, no shakes nothing. since then I have cut my doses of Gabapentin in half so I'm more normal. The moral of the story is this stuff really works if you are looking to get off the narcs without withdrawels. Good luck P.S I did try a few oxy's since that time and the Gabapentin must somehow block the narcs because I didn't notice a thing after taking them. Good luck!!
    Oh one more thing, this Gabapentin worked better than the narcotics for pain also. I am completely pain free

bhill is offline New Member

I'm gonna make this short and sweet or maybe not.I have been using Tramadol for 3 yrs and have logged onto this forum a couple of times.I was a rodeo rider that rode all rough stock primarily bulls for 8 yrs professionally and needless to say I stayed in pain. I used Tramadol for 3yrs taking 30-40 pills a day spending $800 a month, and just like all of you I tried to get off of them countless times but the withdrawls kicked my ass.
    I had my first seizure (thank god I was not driving)and I was at work and was in the hospital for 2 days after word and of course no one knew anything about Tramadol.My kidneys where working at 1/2 their normal capacity and my liver enzymes where way elevated. Anyway, I was given the name of a drug therapy joint and I have found the miracle cure that I have now been taking on and off for 1 month at 1 pill a day w/ absolutely not 1 w/ drawl symptom.
    The Dr. there told me "we have people here w/ real addictions like (>>>>>>, Crank, real pain pills like Vicodin etc..) but I can try you on what we give to the Vicodin addicts and maybe it will help you.
    Well folks I'm here to tell you, SUBOXONE is the real deal and it costs $160 for 30 days and after 1 week I skipped 2 days and not 1 w/drawl symptom, the only thing is I still of course still have the pain I had before but I do not have to chase the damn Fed Ex man no more and I'm free from Tramadol.
    Now, for those of you who are lieing about how many you been taking a day and believe me I've been reading and you know who you are. Suck it up quit crying about who done you wrong about getting you started on Tramadol go down to the drug clinic and get on w/ your life.

good Luck

artgo is offline New Member

If you take Ultram/Ultracet for the happiness,it can be called the addiction.If you take Ultram/Ultracet for the disease ,it cannot be called the addiction.

suziesuz is offline New Member

Hi Diane and all members,
    I really need help.
    I too am addicted to Tramadol.
    I fractured my spine and shattered my ankle late August, spent 2 weeks in hospital.
    I was pumped full of it in hospital 100mg every 4 hours, supplemented with Oral Morphine after my surgery.
    I found myself faking more pain than i was actually in because as well as taking away the pain, it made me feel distracted, like i had forgotten the horrific accident i had.
    My GP prescribed me a box of 100mg slow release when i got out, the quantity in the box was 100.
    I found myself taking 2 to get the same feeling.
    I have managed to get myself down to 100mg at night, If i dont take it i feel like i'm climbing the walls, i have to come downstairs and watch tv at 3.00am.
    I am hoping to go back to work in the new year, however my job involves lots of driving.
    I have tried just not taking it, but i end up feelin awful.
    Do i need to admit to my GP that i am now dependant on this drug, and will he help me wean off it?
    I hope everything is good for you Diane, do you suggest seeing a Chinese herablist?
    Please help me someone!!
    Suzanne

crunchy212001 is offline New Member

I have a friend that was addicted to Tramadol. He does not have internet that is why I am writing this.

He wanted to let everyone know that there is a light at the end of a long painful tunnel. He found cretin remedies to take the edge off.

I am not saying that I condone this but marijuana cured his withdrawal symptoms after three days. He told me that quitting Tramadol is the hardest thing he has ever done.

Smoking was a godsend that relieved all of his urges and nausea. He also told me that high levels of Caffeine/Ephedrine helped as well.

I hope this helps

I have a friend that was addicted to Tramadol. He does not have internet that is why I am writing this.

He wanted to let everyone know that there is a light at the end of a long painful tunnel. He found cretin remedies to take the edge off.

I am not saying that I condone this but marijuana cured his withdrawal symptoms after three days. He told me that quitting Tramadol is the hardest thing he has ever done.

Smoking was a godsend that relieved all of his urges and nausea. He also told me that high levels of Caffeine/Ephedrine helped as well.

I hope this helps

rosetaz is offline New Member

[/quote] I'm also attempting to get off Ultram and was prescribed Wellbutrin. How long do you have to be off of it, before you can go on the Wellbutrin. I've read that you cannot take them simultaneously, and want to wean myself off before taking the Wellbutrin.

JJ
    [/quote]

I was taking wellbutrin and was prescribed tramadol. There is an incresase of seizures but it didn't bother me. I have never had seizures ever. Tramadol is a mild pain reliever for me. Not the great thing that the dr said it would be. I was taking 200mg 3xday. Didn't have any kind of reaction when I stopped taking them.

Excedrin actually is a better pain reliever for me. However, I still have pain that isn't touched by it and wish something could be done.

Now I take Neurontin and Wellbutrin XL.. they seem to work well together for my mood swings. I've not been diagnosed as bi polar but makes me wonder since Wellbutrin helped with depression but I was still anxious and had major problems with worry.
    Oh and Neurontin has given me back the ability to sleep without having my hips and shoulders hurt so bad. I take 300mg 4xday.

I'm gonna make an appt for a mental health evaluation, with all that is wrong with me and having so much pain I feel pulled in too many directions. Never know what exactly I'll experience next.

EasyMeds is offline Banned

There is a lot of confusion about Tramadol addiction/withdrawl. If you take Tramadol responsibily and have a physican who prescribes is responsibility there is a SIGNIFICANTLY less chance of addition than hydrocodone or oxycodone. If you are taking 5 10 15 pill a day then you are likely going to have a problem.

If you are up on those high levels you need to taper down slowly. Even if you have to get one of those daily pill containers to put in how many you get to take each day so you don't "forget" how many you have taken.

Tramadol is often used to get off of hydro to allow the person to come off hydro without the serious w/ds.

So just be careful with it and don't let youself get out of control. If you are already there, start cutting back to no more than 150 mgs a day.

quote:Originally posted by liberty

Ultram
    Generic Name: tramadol
    Treatment for: moderate to moderately severe pain

Ultracet
    Generic Name: tramadol and acetaminophen
    Treatment for: short-term (five days or less) management of acute pain

Have you taken or do you take Ultram or Ultracet?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://ultram.drugs.com/
    http://ultracet.drugs.com/
    Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/ultram.html
    http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ultracet.html
    I became addicted to Ultram/Ultracet within about 6 months of usage. I have just gone cold turkey about 3 days ago. I am having incredible withdrawals both physically and psychologically. Has anyone else been through this? I was told that this was non-narcotic and non-addictive and I became more addicted to these meds. Than vicoden and percocet. Any advice would be very much appreciated. [:I]

Thank you,
    Liberty
    ONE PLANET ONE TRIBE!!

I have had success with a brother in-law who was addicted. There are certain things that can help with the withdrawal symptoms. Lots of Caffeine helps, Sleep your days away, slowly back off your dosage and the biggest help that totally removed any symptoms and not that I condone it but Marijuana. Marijuana took away the shacks and cold sweats for him. Again I am writing this because I saw what he went through and I feel you who are going through this write now.

Good Luck and God Bless

quote:Originally posted by liberty

Ultram
    Generic Name: tramadol
    Treatment for: moderate to moderately severe pain

Ultracet
    Generic Name: tramadol and acetaminophen
    Treatment for: short-term (five days or less) management of acute pain

Have you taken or do you take Ultram or Ultracet?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://ultram.drugs.com/
    http://ultracet.drugs.com/
    Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/ultram.html
    http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ultracet.html
    I became addicted to Ultram/Ultracet within about 6 months of usage. I have just gone cold turkey about 3 days ago. I am having incredible withdrawals both physically and psychologically. Has anyone else been through this? I was told that this was non-narcotic and non-addictive and I became more addicted to these meds. Than vicoden and percocet. Any advice would be very much appreciated. [:I]

Thank you,
    Liberty
    ONE PLANET ONE TRIBE!!

a to z girl is offline New Member

Liberty--

How long did you take it (e.g., the 6 months you mentioned or longer?) and how many pills did you take a day, if you don't mind me asking? As with any other medications that bind to opiate receptors, I think it depends on how much you take and/or how long you're on it. I was prescribed Ultram, 50 mg. at night w/ 50 mg. a day for any "breakthrough" symptoms, by a neurologist for restless legs syndrome (RLS) over 2 years ago, and I ended up in the ER twice with grand mal seizures (strangely, no one in the ER ever suspected the Ultram as the culprit at the time, even though I told them I was on it. However, having researched it and having talked to my GP, I now fully believe it caused the seizing). Even though I was on a low dosage and took it as prescribed, I did take it for over 2 years. (I'm also 5'2 and weigh around 100 lbs., so that might also have something to do with it.)

Like you, I quit cold turkey (I really had no choice--my neurologist got angry with me for missing an appointment and wouldn't change my medication, and I wasn't about to stay on it at that point) and my withdrawal symptoms lasted about a week, give or take. I think the fact I took it for 2-plus years made the intensity of the withdrawal significantly rougher than it would have been if I'd been taking it short-term at the same low dosage, although luckily it didn't last as long as it does for a lot of people who take it as long or longer than I did, or for those who take more pills than are prescribed. I've heard it loses its efficacy rather quickly, although I can't speak to that since I didn't take it for pain (?) ... whatever the case, its being advertised as "non-narcotic/non-addictive" simply seems unfair, because at least with narcotics, people generally seem to realize when they're abusing them. With Ultram, it seems people are lulled into a false sense of security, and it sucks. It never gave me a "high" feeling but obviously there was still a problem there.

Anyway, to answer your question, for the first four or so days I spent hellish sleepless, sweaty nights and took a lot of scalding hot baths (which helped the accompanying and underlying RLS somewhat, especially if I bundled up afterward--and I mean really bundled up: I'd wear pajamas, a bathrobe, socks and sometimes more, all at once, and crawl back into bed under the covers and several blankets.) Sometimes, though, that wouldn't work and I'd just have to get up and watch TV, do stretches, walk around--anything. I would also use Ben Gay, which I've never heard of anyone else trying, but it helped me. And I stopped drinking caffeine, which seemed to help as well. I dunno. During this time I'd grab sleep any time I could, which helped, although for a little while my sleep cycle was screwed up. (I was fortunate in that I had a lot of vacation time saved up at work, although I never told my coworkers what was going on.) My symptoms began to abate around day 5 and I began taking a multiple vitamin containing B6, phosphorus, magnesium and copper and supplemented it with high levels of potassium, which gave me some real relief. I also used ibuprofen because my legs got very sore. I went to see my GP, who suggested I go on Klonopin for a short term, but I didn't. Although I know benzodiazepines work well for some people, I was afraid of withdrawing from them.

There's something called the Thomas method (?) I read about, and I know others have mentioned on this board but I can't speak to how it works. There are links in this thread, I believe.

Happily, I'm now withdrawal-symptom free, although I know it's different for different people. I hope you find it doesn't take you that long, either.

I do know I will never touch Ultram again, and I found a new neurologist who prescribed Requip, which is an approved (and so far seemingly OK) RLS drug.

Hang in there and don't hesitate to ask for help--help from your friends, your significant other, your doctor, people on this board. Know that other people have done it and come through it. That helped me a lot. Above all, it will get better, I promise Good luck to you--I'll be thinking about you. Please let us know how you're doing.

jusserfinn is offline New Member

Tramadol withdrawal is the same as any opioid withdrawal, and I have had both. (I have been on paim meds for Spondelolethisis/Spondelolithis for 5 years.) I try to save about 20 of whatever I am taking for "emergency's" for when I want to wean myself for a week. The withdrawals I've had have all been most bothersome at night, so it's usually sufficient to just take one tablet at night of whatever I am weaning myself from, and within a week, I can usually stop them altogether, and take my "drug holiday" It's important to realize that physical and Psychological addiction are two very different things, and you should NEVER feel guilty about being physically addicted to a prescribed drug that is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (treat pain, or whatever), as long as you are taking it for those reasons. If you aren't sure anymore, than most likely, you don't actually NEED the drug, but going cold turkey will make you FEEL as though you do. Not only do the withdrawal symtoms include everything mentioned in this post (sweats/cold/restless legs, etc), but it will also CAUSE pain! I have had times after my "drug holidays" that I haven't needed anything at all, but I also know had I given in to the withdrawal pain, I never would have knows it!

Anyways, be careful. And take your drugs AS PRESCRIBED!

jusserfinn is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by jusserfinn

Tramadol withdrawal is the same as any opioid withdrawal, and I have had both. (I have been on pain meds for Spondelolethisis/Spondelolithis for 5 years.) I try to save about 20 of whatever I am taking for "emergency's" for when I want to wean myself for a week. The withdrawals I've had have all been most bothersome at night, so it's usually sufficient to just take one tablet at night of whatever I am weaning myself from, and within a week, I can usually stop them altogether, and take my "drug holiday" It's important to realize that physical and Psychological addiction are two very different things, and you should NEVER feel guilty about being physically addicted to a prescribed drug that is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (treat pain, or whatever), as long as you are taking it for those reasons. If you aren't sure anymore, than most likely, you don't actually NEED the drug, but going cold turkey will make you FEEL as though you do. Not only do the withdrawal symtoms include everything mentioned in this post (sweats/cold/restless legs, etc), but it will also CAUSE pain! I have had times after my "drug holidays" that I haven't needed anything at all, but I also know had I given in to the withdrawal pain, I never would have knows it!

Anyways, be careful. And take your drugs AS PRESCRIBED!

sartfell is offline New Member

I am currently taking Tramadol (Zydol 50mg) and have been continuously taking it for one year now 2 tablets 4 times a day for the first 6 months and 2 tablets twice a day for the past 6 months. I am on these following surgery on my fractured left humerus (pain relief). I came off them 3 months after surgery, but found that the pain was too much to bear so went back on them, during this period (7 weeks) I got no sleep whatsoever, I became paranoid, the pain in all my joints (knees, ankles, elbows, wrists, etc.) was intollerable,lethargic and generally going out of my mind..at this time I was also quitting smoking, so I guess that didn't help my situation. I am due back to hospital imminently for further surgery as the first op. didn't work and am terrified of becoming a life long tramadol dependant (not addict)!!!

flyinghigh73 is offline New Member

Greetings everyone, wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the board. I have been in Germany for the past 6 months and am returning to Germany in January for another 6 months. Gotta say, I will never take the US for granted ever again! But, I'll stay on topic here, I had a terrible experience with Tramadol/Ultracet. I had a pretty bad seizure after taking 4 of them the evening before I left for Germany. I felt really strange after I had taken 2 of them, and it didn't seem to helping with the pain at all, so I took a cpl of more, and this was over a 8 or so hour time span. I have degenerative disc disease, along with some nerve damage from an auto accident 3 years ago. I just wanted to share my experience with this stuff, I'll never take it again. Cheers!

Everyone should believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer...

E_Lee is offline New Member

It's 2:30 in the morning and here I sit on my fourth night off of Tramadol trying to make the best use of my restlessness by browsing this forum. This is the first time I've posted here and I wanted to give my input based on vast experiences with narcotic dependency over the past three years.

I am a 42 year old, former professional athlete and let's just say that the profession I chose wreaked havoc on my body! Don't ever think professional athletes get paid too much! I live with pain on a daily basis regardless of what type of physical shape I'm in. Here's a small list: Broken ribs, collapsed lung, torn mcl ligament, degenerating cervical disk, broken clavical in two places, two major concussions which have caused post concussion syndrome, bruised kidneys, degenerative lower lumbar disk, pain in the thoracic spine area, tendinitis of many types, and so on as that's not all!

The repercussions of all these injuries didn't really catch up with me until I was about 38 years old. It was about that time or shortly thereafter that I began taking pain medication to cope on a daily basis. Here's another list of what the doctors (I'll humorously refer to them as ignorant demons from this point forward!) have had me on: Vicodin, percocet, darvocet, morphine, demoral, (pardon any wrong spellings as I'm not an ignorant demon!) percodan, codein, and believe it or not, methadone!

Unfortunately, the ignorant deamons fail to stress that your body adjusts to any of these drugs and for any of them to remain effective in fighting the pain, you must constantly take more and more of them the longer you are on them. Then, they tell you to simply gradually reduce your dosages to wean yourself off of them, completely forgetting that when you do this you are no longer benefitting from the reasons they were prescribed in the first place, THE PAIN!

So, for those of us unlucky soul's on this forum we all get caught in a catch 22 called addiction or dependancy! I do not know one person who has been prescribed pain killers for their physical problems who has not gotten caught in this catch 22. You have to understand that if you have no choice but to take a pain medication to alleviate your pain you will ultimately have to go through these withdrawals at some point when you decide to stop taking them. We must be better prepared to ask the ignorant deamons exactly what we will be getting ourselves into when we do this as rarely will they elaborate on it on their own!

That brings me to this point. Any ignorant deamon who tells you that Ultram or Tramadol does not have the addictive qualities of some of the other pain medications I've mentioned, well, they should be shot...in the hand or somewhere that it doesn't kill them such that they, then, have to deal with some pain! How many doctors do any of you know that have actually been on a pain medication that they have prescribed to you and then become dependant on them to the point that when stopped they must go through withdrawals? I don't...so how the #%$@ do they know how it TRULY feels?!!

The only thing that helped me get through the withdrawals from the opiate drugs I've mentioned was the fact that, as an athlete, I'm a bit more use to pain and being uncomfortable than most people. Believe me though, it sucked! At one point, before getting off of methadone, it constipated me so bad that I thought I was going to die one night after not having a bowel movement for three days! Instead, I was vomiting for hours. I literally thought my heart would give out it hurt so bad! Fortunately, I kicked all those drugs about 8 months ago.

In any case, about two months ago I decided to try Tramadol due to the fact that some of the things I read about it stated that it did not really have bad addictive qualities to it. Also, the fact that it is not listed as a controlled substance was reassuring to me. Heck, I could drive down to Mexico any time and buy a bottle of 50-50mg pills for twenty bucks no problem! Boy was I wrong and I didn't do enough research about this drug! I got to the point where I had to take about 15 pills a day just to help with the pain. Yep, you have to take more the longer you take it for it to continue working on the pain!

As I mentioned, I'm on day four of stopping this medication and let me tell you this, the first three days were as much of a living hell if not more than any of the opiates I've come off of. Anyone who tells you any different is not telling it like it is! And, the depression that goes along with it is the worst part! I'm a grown man that has seen teammates legs bent backwards on the field of play yet I've found myself crying over television commercials! Don't think I'm being insensitive due to my humor as I feel that this can be one of the best ways to cope with this withdrawal b.s.!

To summarize, do your own research before you get yourself into something like this. I made the mistake of not doing it properly when considering Tramadol. Remember, these companies that make these drugs are in it for one reason only...MONEY! They don't give a damn about us! My brother has Leukemia and has had it now for six years. The only reason he is still alive is due to the research he did himself. He has found so many natural rememdies that have helped him far more than western medicine that it's ridiculous!

Let me give you an example of what he experienced and then I'll finish. He got a very bad flu and was given a drug for this flu that happened to interact with the one western medication he is on called Gleevac. It somehow caused his platelet count to drop to around 10,000 (normal is over 200,000!) He should have died and would have had he relied on western medicine. They had absolutely no idea what to do for him. He consulted with a Chinese medicine specialist that prescribed him some special herbs for his blood. Within ONE week his platelet count was back to normal! The ignorant deamons were stupified to say the least.

This is the route I have chosen from this point forward. I will no longer succumb to the "put a bandaid on it theory" which is exactly what it is when you take a pain killer. There are other options out there so don't choose to take the word of your ignorant deamon as the only word! Remember, no matter how much he seems to care, he wouldn't do what he does if he wasn't getting paid for it! Do you really think they want a cure for cancer? What do you think would happen to the multi-million dollar chemotherapy and radiation therapy companies if there were? Take control of your life and DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! It's your life and your body, not your ignorant deamon's!

Merry Christmas to all!

Anonymous Guest

quote:Originally posted by wifestyles

Hey Liberty, what type of 'addiction' symptoms per se were you having? Like what did they do for ya?
    What else can i do with it?

Melbourne Cheap Flights
    - party***** bonus

treace is offline New Member

This post is to everyone who is addicted to tramadol. I know that you can become addicted to them and need from 1 two times a day up to 30 or more a day. Believe me I know. My tolerance is unbelievable. I was put on them in 1994 when they first came out because I was a recoverind addict. I couldn't believe the way they made me feel. It was great. The energy, the antidepressant feeling, the talkativeness, the attitude change, everything was great. They are so much better and more addicting for me. I can't believe how long and how many times, too many to count, that I have been to rehab for them. Most rehab centers just chuckle and say that they are not addicting and there is nothing they can do. Two rehab centers overdosed me on meds and I ended up in ICU. So, needless to say I am still on the ****. The last time I went to rehab was in June. I stayed off of them for about a week and a half. I am just now back up to taking about 20 a day. I almost got off of them. Just a month ago I was down to 4 a day and I don't know what happened. I got some teeth pulled and then I just went crazy again. Needless to say I am about to see my second Dr. in two weeks and am praying for Ultram and not Vics, Lortabs,or Percs, Fentanyl, The Ultram is my drug of choice. I don't even drink anymore because I don't want to ruin my buzz while I am on the Ultram. The biggest problem with them is that they consume your life. You are always thinking about how many you have, how long they are going to last, where they are coming from and where you are going to get the money from to get them. I hate to say it but my life revolves around them and I don't think I will ever be able to get off of them unless someone knows of some miracle cure. Part of my problem, the biggest part, is that I like them so much. If they were a wine I would definitely be a lush!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried everything from benadryl, methadone, klonapin, and even clonadine. Someone must know something.

I would really like to feel normal without pills but I think that if I ever felt normal again I would probably feel strange!!!!!lol!!!!!

HELP ME SOMEONE!!!!!

Theresa Ralston

chrish1 is offline Member

Treace, go to www.na.org and find a meeting in your area. Attend 90 meetings in 90 days, and you will be on your way to a drug free life. It has worked for many addicts (many of them >>>>>> addicts). It worked for me. I was taking Percocet for 7 years, and I quit 81 days ago - Haven't touched one pill.

Chrish

quote:Originally posted by treace

This post is to everyone who is addicted to tramadol. I know that you can become addicted to them and need from 1 two times a day up to 30 or more a day. Believe me I know. My tolerance is unbelievable. I was put on them in 1994 when they first came out because I was a recoverind addict. I couldn't believe the way they made me feel. It was great. The energy, the antidepressant feeling, the talkativeness, the attitude change, everything was great. They are so much better and more addicting for me. I can't believe how long and how many times, too many to count, that I have been to rehab for them. Most rehab centers just chuckle and say that they are not addicting and there is nothing they can do. Two rehab centers overdosed me on meds and I ended up in ICU. So, needless to say I am still on the ****. The last time I went to rehab was in June. I stayed off of them for about a week and a half. I am just now back up to taking about 20 a day. I almost got off of them. Just a month ago I was down to 4 a day and I don't know what happened. I got some teeth pulled and then I just went crazy again. Needless to say I am about to see my second Dr. in two weeks and am praying for Ultram and not Vics, Lortabs,or Percs, Fentanyl, The Ultram is my drug of choice. I don't even drink anymore because I don't want to ruin my buzz while I am on the Ultram. The biggest problem with them is that they consume your life. You are always thinking about how many you have, how long they are going to last, where they are coming from and where you are going to get the money from to get them. I hate to say it but my life revolves around them and I don't think I will ever be able to get off of them unless someone knows of some miracle cure. Part of my problem, the biggest part, is that I like them so much. If they were a wine I would definitely be a lush!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried everything from benadryl, methadone, klonapin, and even clonadine. Someone must know something.

I would really like to feel normal without pills but I think that if I ever felt normal again I would probably feel strange!!!!!lol!!!!!

HELP ME SOMEONE!!!!!

Theresa Ralston

ncross81 is offline New Member

I have been on Tramadol for the past two years for my back pain. Lately I have been having some embarrassing side effects. One is the short term memory loss. The other is the wierdest part. I have been experiencing hallucinations when I orgasm. At first it was just colors, now its colors and landscapes. Has anyone else experienced this?

chrish1 is offline Member

Ncross - It sounds like Tramadol is causing major issues with your brain, which could be long-term if you don't stop using. Drugs like this can cause permanent changes in the brain and the onset of permanent mental illness.

Chrish

quote:Originally posted by ncross81

I have been on Tramadol for the past two years for my back pain. Lately I have been having some embarrassing side effects. One is the short term memory loss. The other is the wierdest part. I have been experiencing hallucinations when I orgasm. At first it was just colors, now its colors and landscapes. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Clean Date: 10/11/05

--ONE DAY AT A TIME--

*NA RECOVERY LITERATURE**

http://www.na.org/ips/eng/index.htm

***HOW TO FIND LOCAL NA MEETINGS****

http://www.na.org/links-toc.htm

thinker is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Pill >>

Hey, Hang in there. Although the doctors and drug companies might not want to admit it, Tramadol/Ultram is addictive. My sister-in-law is in rehab right now for that very addiction. She has been trying to stop for almost a year now. I can relate to the withdraw as I stopped Effexor cold turkey(another drug that docs and companies will tell you is not addictive). Get lots of sleep, eat if it helps, keep warm and some OTC's might help with the symptoms.
    Good Luck and Report your addiction to the FDA as this information has to be recorded and looked into.
    paul kilpatrick

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast