Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree2Likes
Ultram / Ultracet / Tramadol
    badloser is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by elainell View Post
    Hi, I have been taking Tramadol on and off for the past several months due to gallstone pain. I believe I posted here at one point saying I didn't have any problems with it. I certainly didn't expect to, because I have been taking very minimal doses - at most 25 - 50 mg a day, and never more than three days in a row without a break of 3-5 days. Recently the pain left, which was cause for celebration, and I find that even at such low doses I am having the same problems coming clean that are described by people on much higher doses. For example I was drug free and fine for three days but suddenly got a very strange headache last night, racing heart and was unable to keep still - as I used to when I was taking tramadol daily and needed another dose. When this happens it is very disturbing so I have resorted to taking a very small (10 mg) dose whenever it happens, i.e. every four days or so. Even such a small amount seems to mess me up though, and disturb my sleep with lots of twitching, bad dreams et al.

My question is this: even though I was only on a low dose, should I continue weaning myself off with this 10 mg ever four days nonsense, or is it better to bite the bullet, go totally clean and deal with the side effects? I've hear about the risk of seizures and tbh that is the only reason I am bothering with weaning myself off it at all.
    I am no expert and am now weening off 200mg per day and have quit before when down to 25mg per day. I think 10 mg every 4 days should be easy to quit. I hope everything works out for you let us know how you are doing.

Anonymous Guest

Exclamation Tramadol/Ultram

Do Not take Tramadol under any circumstance. It is highly addictive and withdrawals are horrible and just as bad as >>>>>>e withdrawal. This is a nasty drug I wish I never started taking. It messes with ur nervous system and also ur memory. Why would drug companies say this isn't addictive. From personal experience- Stay away from this drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.

taowarrior is offline New Member

Hmmm I'm getting worried.

I was on 5mg Hydrocodone 3x a day for about a year and a half. I asked my Dr. about upping to 7.5 3x a day. She decided to try something else so she put me on nucynta 100mg 4x a day. After 2 weeks of being way out of it and having flat emotions etc. I asked her about a change as I did not like how it made me feel. I once again asked about 7.5mg hydrocodone 3x a day and she rejected it again offering oxycotin instead. I was like what? what are you thinking heck no. So she came up with tramadol xr 100mg 1x day. I just started last night. I can not tell if it is doing anything as I am dealing with withdrawl from the nucynta. I was going to give it a couple days and see if things leveled out and I saw a benifit after getting the nucynta out of my system. After only a few weeks that withdrawl while not fun is not bad so I figure it would pass quickly but now after reading all this I am worried about the tramadol is this something I even want to be on.

I take 600mg gabapentin 3x a day, ,5mg clonzepam as needed at night and now 100mg tramadol. The gabapentin and clonzepam have not changed except I have pretty much stopped the clonzepam over the past few weeks due to worries about interactions with nucynta and now tramadol.

Any suggestions? Oh and why oh why would my Dr. go this route rather than just up the hydrocodone? I have been on a roller coaster since she switched me.

Kat0998 is offline New Member

Lightbulb

Tramadol can be both beneficial, and dangerous...i have been takeing tramadol for years, and was first perscribed it back when it was considerd "non addictive". I built up quite a tolerence to the trams, and was taking up to 10 at a time.The final straw was when i actually ended up haveing two seizures, pretty much from accidently ODing on the tramadol. I never used the drug for the mild euphoria it produces, rather i used it straight for the pain i had associated with a back and knee injury. But because i built up such a tolerance, i needed more and more to help relieve the pain. Be careful when taking tramadol!! If taken correctly, yes, it can help with pain! But if taken incorrectly, or increasing the dosage, like i did, without the guidance of a professional, it can be dangerous.
    Best of luck!!
    Kat

Kat0998 is offline New Member

angeleak...i agree! If i could go back in time, knowing what i know now, i would have NEVER started taking the trams! I was dependent on them for years for my knee pain and it sucked!! I built up a tolerance, so i needed more and more, and when i would try to stop, the withdrawls made me wanna die! I know that some people benefit from it, and thats fine, but i do think that the FDA should reconsider the saftey of this this drug...it can be deadly!

edgewise1 is offline Junior Member

Tramadol can be a real bad drug. I also started on this drug when it was touted as a non addictive alternative to narcotic pain releivers. I remember standing in my family docs office trying to get him to prescribe hydrocodone to me. He offered tramadol sample packs, about 25 to 30 packs with 2 or 4 tablets in each pack, and literally yelled that these were not candy and were not addictive. I put them up for a couple of weeks, until I ran out of my supply of hydrocodone, took one, and an hour later knew I was going to be using these again.

I started out using for recreational purposes, but that soon turned into medical purposes, and I used it from 2002 until 2011 for genuine pain. The only problem I had was that tolerance continued to grow and about 6 weeks ago my daily dose was 30 to 35 pills a day, or 1500 to 1750 milligrams a day. I have been on that dose for at least the past 1 1/2 years, if not two years.

This drug is addictive as any drug can be. I read that some European countries were looking at this drug for depression, due to the actions on seretonion, and norephrine, spelling is atrocious That is being done because tramadol puts you in a very positive mood, not the euphoria of hydro/oxy, but a very good feel good mood, and one that enjoyed immensely.

Due to a heart attack 6 weeks ago, I got weened off of tramadol and am happy as I can be about it. I was definately ready for this and had even planned to do this before the heart attack, and to use suboxone to do so. I got most of my tramadol from online pharmacies, and was spending around $600 a month., what a waste! Of course at the time I was not worried about it and that's because I was in such a happy day all the time.

This is just my story, and all people are different from one another with different body chemistry's. There are people who get absolutely nothing from tramadol and consider it a weak drug, but for those whom it works on, it's a different story. One thing to keep in mind is that you can become dependant on this drug, or be addicted to this drug. The difference is that with dependance, you don't exhibit the drug seeking behavior, and when quitting the drug, will probably have a slightly easier road to travel.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-08-2011 at 12:58 AM.

cats_meow is offline New Member

Default Tramadol ?????

I have been using tramadol since August of 2010. I have never had any of the experiences that most do. I have/get no "HIGH" from it, I am never tired or have any of the effects that normal people do. Its like a higher dose of tylenol for me. I am how ever allergic to every other pain med out there. I am having surgery on my back this week so I can 1. not be in any more pain and 2. i hate taking pills..I was only taking one to two a day but I have had to take them every four hours the last few weeks. I pray for you all and may GOD bless you!
    Premenopause9 likes this.

xguntherc is offline Member

So taking tramadol after being on suboxone for 3 years.. is that a bad idea?

I've been off suboxone for around 3 months and just got wisdom teeth removed, wanted to take a tramadol to help with pain just for a day or 2. or is that a bad idea?

Premenopause9 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cats_meow View Post
    I have been using tramadol since August of 2010. I have never had any of the experiences that most do. I have/get no "HIGH" from it, I am never tired or have any of the effects that normal people do. Its like a higher dose of tylenol for me. I am how ever allergic to every other pain med out there. I am having surgery on my back this week so I can 1. not be in any more pain and 2. i hate taking pills..I was only taking one to two a day but I have had to take them every four hours the last few weeks. I pray for you all and may GOD bless you!
    Hi, Cat,

My name is Buttercup Kitty 9. I take only 2-50mg Tramadol pills per day (2pm & 10pm) for Fibromyalgia and get great relief. NO HIGH, just no nerve pain. I was taking a 3rd, but then I got Polymyositis (muscles--lucky me!) and had to go on a low dose of a steriod (1.5mg Dexamethasone) so that one was able to replace the 3rd Tram. More than 3, and I get a horrible constipation, so I'm glad to get rid of the third. I'm addressing this post to you, dear Cat, but I hope anyone who has to go through muscle/nerve pain can benefit. Thanks for letting me add to your post.

Love, BK9
    Last edited by Premenopause9; 10-03-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I hope to encourage you to keep trying Tram, as I am also allergic to the other pain meds.

Mr. Jody is offline New Member

Question Withdrawls hurt

Hello, I'm new to the post and thanks to all for sharing. What I would really like to know is how dang long does this last? Going on four weeks and I'm still in almost severe night pain with my legs, can't sleep good, having trouble breathing, and still lightheaded or whatever this strange feeling is. Maybe all of this is happening due to the length that i've been on Tramadol. It has been thriteen years of it and yes I'm going to have to say that I've really benefited from it for that long and only on 150 mg a day along with other meds. AND no I do not think it is such a bad drug, however one must understand the withdrawl effects and make sure you do not run out of the script. I do feel as though I was taking it for the last couple of years to just counteract the need for more. I'm on Colidine or something like that to counteract the withdrawl effects. I think it is helping with that strange feeling in my head more than anything elsse. I have yet to see the longest period that one has suffered the withdrawls. I will say this that if there is something else to take, then go that route. For me, just finding out I had neuropathy and it wasn't going away, tramadol was very useful and helped me to cope.
    Does anyone have advise for my cramping legs that are killing me to the point of almost not being able to walk after lying down for an hour or so. I'm taking too much Hydros to counteract, but it is working. Now I worry about that med as well. I am sleeping some due to the Colinadine and it seems to be helping my head issue. It is very hard to work and I may have to take a leave if it doesn't get better. Please help with advise?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.

barryac06 is offline New Member

I take grape seed for my cramping legs, 1 meg per pound of body weight. can not function with out it, I also take Tramadol for arthritis pain and depression. Works well for me, real life saver but, has to be respected and used with caution. I really think that people that have a problem with Tramadol would have a problem with any kind of drug achool, butts , what ever. Good luck The grape seed can only do good, and is a strong anti oxygen and helps with many aliments.

tazc23 is offline New Member

Unhappy Be careful takeing tramadol and SSRIs

I've just got out the hospital after suffering seizures due to a tramadol interaction.A couple of years ago, I was able to 10-15 tramadols at a time w/o a problem but I tried to take 3/50mg last week and ended up with a siezure that required surgery on my left shoulder. I also take wellbutrin, neurontin and cymbalta so i believe I may have also slipped into serortonin syndrome. I just want the pain to stop. My problem is that my doctor should have known about these drug interactions, she even knows about my well-documented drug problem. Why did she prescribe it to me??

barryac06 is offline New Member

Default 10-15????? that's enough to choke a horse

Quote Originally Posted by tazc23 View Post
    I've just got out the hospital after suffering seizures due to a tramadol interaction.A couple of years ago, I was able to 10-15 tramadols at a time w/o a problem but I tried to take 3/50mg last week and ended up with a siezure that required surgery on my left shoulder. I also take wellbutrin, neurontin and cymbalta so i believe I may have also slipped into serortonin syndrome. I just want the pain to stop. My problem is that my doctor should have known about these drug interactions, she even knows about my well-documented drug problem. Why did she prescribe it to me??
    10-15?? shesase if I did that I do believe I would be in the hospital or meeting my maker. sounds like your doctor does not know you very well ??

victoria stiles is offline New Member

It is important to take tramadol properly and to follow prescribing instructions. If taken improperly or in a way that is not recommended, serious side effects and allergies can take place.

dragmex is offline New Member

Default Sounds like someone takes a bit too much .....

I have been taking tramadol in the form of Tradol retard 100mg, and tramadol 50 mg for nearly 16 years, and have been trouble free with it. I actually take 4 x 100mg tradol retard a day, with if necessary up to 3 x 50 mg tramadol a day. I have been told by many different doctors that this is the recommended maximum to take to avoid problems. After reading many of the posts, it is clear that the amount some people take is way above the norm, and maybe this has caused their particular problems. The thing that I do is to have regular blood tests, especially liver tests, and when prescribed any new medicines, I make a point of checking as much as possible for problems caused by mixing these new medicines with my old existing medication. I have never had a high from it, or in any way felt drugged, all though, when on the rare occasion I forgot to take the tramadol, I have had reactions such as the shakes, but this only lasted a maximum of two days. When I compare the pain I felt from pre medicine times, with the pain I feel most of the time, I feel it has been a good medicine for me. If you take it, I would not let all the remarks scare you, you must go back to your doctor and talk to them, after all, every body’s system works in a unique way.

puffin192 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by barryac06 View Post
    I take grape seed for my cramping legs, 1 meg per pound of body weight. can not function with out it, I also take Tramadol for arthritis pain and depression. Works well for me, real life saver but, has to be respected and used with caution. I really think that people that have a problem with Tramadol would have a problem with any kind of drug achool, butts , what ever. Good luck The grape seed can only do good, and is a strong anti oxygen and helps with many aliments.
    Hello, I too noticed that the grape seed works for the RLS! Have been out for some time and have not been able to get to sleep at all without my Temazepam 30mg. Have been on Ultracet 37.5 3x a day for 7 years along with Hydro 5-500. Also take Atenonol 100 and Lisinpril 40. Have been out of both blood pressures for over 2 months and also out of Hydro the same, due to financial reasons. What I have experienced are the absolute horrible RSL, some nites I am awake until 6 a.m., and HAVE to take another Temaz......Cannot get another appt with my clinician until late April. Would going w/o blood pressures and hydro also cause this? I cannot barely operate during the day and HATE the thought of going to bed because I know I am not going to sleep and the RSL thing drives me nuts!!!! I have taken all these drugs by the recommended dosage for over 7 years after surviving breast cancer, severe arthritus (spelling) and only have a problem if I run out or miss my regular time to take them. So, when I ran out of hydro, that is when the RLS started and in order to get any kind of sleep, I would take my Temaz around 8 p.m., and by 1 a.m., still awake, then on to 4 or 5 a.m., gave up and took another. Would let me sleep around 5 hours only!!!! I am severely sleep deprived at least 5 nites worth, and am useless during the day unless I take 2 B-12, (2000mg) and even then they only last for whatever big tasks I am doing, well in my mind anyway, laundry, going to the grocery store, cooking, taking care of house, yard work, and as soon as the B-12 wears off, BOOM, I have to take ibuprofen, and Ultracet, get a shower, and am so tired I THINK I will be able to sleep, but it never works with just one Temaz, (30mg) so now, last night I had to take 3, last one being at 2 a.m., and slept until 9:30 a.m. I wake feeling ok, not really refreshed, but good enough to get thru the day. I immediately take my Ultracet 37.5mg, 3 ibuprofen, 2 multi-vitiamins, and grapeseed when I have it along with flax seed oil which I have also been out of. Not having the grapeseed and flaxseed oil, have also noticed the hot flashes from HELL that I have suffered for the 7 years post cancer have worsened. My question, from all excellent info I have read here, NOT having been taking the Hydro for over 3 weeks, would that also contribute to accelerated hot flashes? I do not know how to differenciate, (spelling) as I have had them forever and if I do not take my Temaz, well, there is NO SLEEPING whatsoever, forget about it. Are the two related? I cannot take any hormone aid, hence chance of cancer again. Am so sick of not feeling normal in the first place, as HOT FLASHES have just about ruined any chance of that. My feeling, I have never taken any more than what is prescribed, and this all started when I could not afford to get the hydro, should I just stay off of it, and ride out the RSL, but then that begs the question, even if RSL goes away, will I be able to get back to just one Temaz a nite? Thank you for all your help here, and I truly feel for everyone in any of their situations, regardless of how problems came to be!!!! Also, want to thank the poster who answered a question for me back in Jan., for help with my hubs going CT for a drug screen. It was a 10 panel and ultram/tramadol WOULD have shown up!!! He is doing well, but that is a whole 'nother story!!!! TRULY, thank you all, I get more useful info here than even my PA, and she is pretty darn smart!!!

P.S. Sorry for the long rambling post above, w/o paragraphs, but I think this is also worth mentioning.

I was also out of Ultracet for over a month. My hubs had leftover ultram/tramadol that he could not take, and script on pill bottle read "generic for Ultracet," so I thought what could it harm, right? Wrong!!!! I took them like I normally would have for my Ultracet, and let me tell you, that drug is freaking NASTY!!!! I was angry, highly agitated and thank god I only took them for around 3 weeks! YIKES!! As I mentioned above, have been taking Ultracet for 7 years but me and the generic version DO NOT GET ALONG AT ALL. Ultracet does for me what it is supposed to, and it just goes straight to the pain. I never felt energized or anything like what others have described with the ultram/tramadol, and I do understand everyone's body chemistry is different.

I am 55, 6ft tall and weigh 158, so the RSL business makes for very rough sleeping with my hubs. I have also tried deep breathing, melatonin, valarian, red clover, even doing leg exercises in bed to try and relieve the RSL. The hot flashes interrupt any kind of sleep, so the RSL just makes everything that much worse.

Just thought I should add that, because I know the Ultracet works for me, and if I had to choose between Hydro or it, I would definitely take the Ultracet. I also have lymphdema in left arm, forgot to mention in above post.

Thanks again, and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-31-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Red face WHAT! was not even on the board!

Quote Originally Posted by puffin192 View Post
    [deleted - swearing]
    Excuse me, I just came back onto the boards, after burning all fallen hard wood, scrub and brush in the back 40.....what....deleted swearing, wait a minute, I showed my hubs what I wrote to you folks, was it about the crazy person with the cat, could not be sure, please point out what I said, at any rate, I APOLIGIZE, sorry, will not happen again: Thank you again, and am still waiting for comment to my previous posts... will pay closer attention to what I write.....THANX! puffin

One other thing I did again forget, for after cancer treatment, here is just a semi list of what they gave me, please forgive spelling, the biggest what gave me the HOT FLASHES FROM HELL were from TAMOXIFeN, almost just made me want to leave the planet, if you know what I am talking about, bald, bloated, no hair, soaking wet, looking like a beached sea lion,.......ech 4 heavy duty chemos and 47 radiations......, well, of course, then came, "you are depressed" here are some more drugs, clonopin, (spelling) Please forgive...just writing...effexor, flexoral, celabrex, zoloft, and so many others that I was nothing but a ZOMBIE!!!!! Worst was the Tamoxifin, ughhhhhh, the hot flashes, might as well stayed in the freezer, because there was no help......often thought of just ending it, anyone elses thoughts.......After 4 years on that, then my PA said I was going on ARIMADEX, was no better, as there was no wait time to discover any kind of difference! I just think now, I must read, read, read and keep on doing it, because if I could prescribe meds for myself, well if you are reading this and are interested, give me a shout out, at any rate I feel much better in this community forum, THANK YOU ALL AGAIN !

Sorry for spelling errors, had to go put on a hat, big stockings, and bundle up for the teeth chattering cold that has hitting also, and here it is, another freaking hot flash, excuse me have to take off all the junk again, ugh.....well, that was quick, have to keep it no higher than 62 in here, often with windows open for a cold blast, I wish this upon NO ONE..makes me very sad, my girls (30 and 26) have already been having the very severe endrimetriosis, their careers are more important, although they say might want to have children at some point, have my own thoughts on that, as I have already mentioned, I am 6 foot, 153, or 158, whatever the scale says, mind you, them two were 11.13, and 10.09 , at that time I was only 138 and wore a size 8A high heel....after bearing all that weight, am now a 10, 10/12, what the hell, do not care much more for the crazy pimp azz heels they have out anyway, am old classic, but if I really want too, can still rock a 3' spike.....suppose I will close for now, after all my posts, I hope I have not forgotten any drugs so that someone can figure this out better than me......many thanx to all again, puffin....

valval420 is offline New Member

I would take ultram to help with my vicodin withdrawal. What I didnt know is that it was giving me seizures. I never knew until i had a seizure on a train. The ER doctor told me it was an allergic reaction. Like an idiot on drugs when i had no pain killers left I took 1 and had another seizure. So if you have bruises on your body and you dont know where they came from you might be having seizures and not know it. Just Beware

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011