Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jthomp2u
Tramadol causing "strange" feelings.
    Onlinenow is offline New Member

Default Tramadol causing "strange" feelings.

I have been taking tramadol over the past several months as a way to kill lower back pain. I also take bp, cholesterol and lexapro medications. I notice the directions given by the doctor to take the tramadol were 1 or 2 50mg tablets every 6-8 hours with no more than 400mg daily. I asked about side effects and was told of possible seizures. After the first month the medicine stopped working so I upped and upped the dose. Now I take between 400 and 1600mg DAILY. I have been feeling strange lately. If I do not take the medication in the morning, even if I am not in pain, I start to get these imaginary jumpy feelings in my head. I am sorry this does sound stupid but I do not know how to explain it. I am currently trying to ween myself off the medication and this has caused these strange feelings to get worse. I am currently down to between 400 and 800mg daily with the occasional hydrocodone instead to help with the pain. When I take the hydrocodone I still feel the "jumpy" sensation until I take at least 3 or 4 tramadols to go along with it. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience. I think and pray it will go away once I get off the tramadol altogether but now I worry I will have to start taking hydrocodone again which I stopped taking in the first place because of fear of liver damage... Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks (no Im not crazy )

Anonymous Guest

Hi onlinenow
    NO your not crazy...but you need to lower your dose on the tramadol...
    you need to do a slow taper off of it...
    I'm helping another person with a taper right now you should read her thread.
    I'm sure you two could help each other, her thread is in the need to talk and her name is inhiding. don't worry if you need some help we can help you also...
    let us know if you need us...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Anonymous Guest

here is some info I got for you and im findng more...to help you taper off dont be scared will get you there
    Melinda

How bad is Tramadol withdrawal?

Answer - Ultram (Tramadol) Withdrawal
    Tramadol is highly addictive. Normally your doctor would reduce intake slowly. Various withdrawal effects may include shakes, shivers, diarrhea, nausea, and possible flu-like symptoms. Not all people experience will all withdrawal symptoms, and some people may experience others not listed here.

The length of time withdrawal symptoms occur can range from a couple of days to weeks depending on how high your dose was and how long you were on the drug. Withdrawal symptoms can be reduced by discontinuing use of the drug slowly (i.e., gradually reducing the daily dose).

Tramadol is more complex than other opiate and opiate-like medications because it also appears to have actions on the GABAergic, noradrenergic, and serotonergic systems in the brain. This may cause some people feel additional withdrawal symptoms or intensified psychological withdrawal symptoms when discontinuing tramadol.

This is why I want you to do a slow taper...

Anonymous Guest

To avoid possible tramadol withdrawal symptoms, a patient should not stop taking it suddenly. A person who stops taking the medication suddenly may develop tremors, chills, and abnormal sweating. He may also hallucinate, experience anxiety, and have trouble breathing and/or sleeping. Nausea and diarrhea are also among the unpleasant effects of tramadol withdrawal.
    The dosage level of tramadol may be directly related to the intensity of the withdrawal symptoms a person experiences when it is time to stop taking the medicine. A higher dosage may mean more intense withdrawal symptoms. The length of time a person took the drug may influence withdrawal symptoms as well. The best way to avoid tramadol withdrawal is by gradually stopping the medicine. It’s also best to take the medication exactly as a doctor prescribes it, without missing doses.

justa little more

Tramadol Withdrawal
    If you abruptly stop taking tramadol (Ultram), withdrawal symptoms are likely to occur. These symptoms will vary in intensity and may include anxiety, insomnia, shakiness, and hallucinations, to name a few. In order to limit withdrawal, your healthcare provider may slowly decrease your tramadol dose at a rate that helps minimize these often unpleasant symptoms.

so I guess we need to start you a slow taper...are you ready...

Hi, thank you for the information. I just took a dose of 100mg and that is all I have had today. Been feeling weird still but hopefully it will go away with time. Thanks again for the help

Anonymous Guest

Hi onlinenow
    Let us know if we can help...OK...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

You are already helping just by letting me know that I am not losing my mind! Thanks. I hope to just be totally off of them by Monday.

Anonymous Guest

I know how hard it is I was addicted to allot of pain pills also...
    if you need some help just jump on here it helps just to talk...
    Melinda

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default Ultram er

My pain management doctor gives me 60 vicoprohen a month. I have told him several times that is not enough. I work 10 hrs a night and at the end of the night my back is killing me. Ive never asked him for anything stonger because the vicoprophen still works if i take them befour the pain starts and they are short acting. i ve told him i take 3 a day alot of times and he dosent seem to have a problem with that but he wont raise me up to ninety. The last time i was there he gave me the 60 vicroprophen and 26 ultram er 100mgs to make the vicros last longer. When i took the ultram er about 4hrs after the vicroprophen they made me feel like i was over dosing i got real tingly and couldnt sit still i had to go wash my face and walk around and felt very uncomfterble. I felt taht way for about 30min. I tried taking them differant ways and times but they still made me feal funny. So i quit taking them
    jon11

Thank you for that reply. The "tingly" feeling you have reminds me of what I feel. It describes it better than the "weird" feeling. I might go to my doctor and tell him that I need something that does not have acetominophen in it. That stuff scares me just about as bad as the tramadol. I am up late tonite but I do not keep getting the weird/tingly feeling in my head that I have been getting. Tylenol kills just as bad as "narcotic" pain killers (almost) and I would assume this b/c people have always had pain and they have always found a way to stop or slow it. Whether chewing on a plant or sucking down a bottle of whiskey. Anyway, I am getting the feeling tramadol is worse than the "hard" stuff.

miki1963 is offline New Member

Exclamation

Yes, the tramadol is causing the feelings you're having. What you describe are symptoms of anxiety or panic attacks, and they can indeed come from using tramadol, especially at the doses you're taking. That much tramadol is extremely dangerous and you need to reduce your dosage gradually but start doing it immediately. Decrease your dosage by 25 mg per day until you are taking no more than 400 mg daily. The only way to make the tramadol more effective is to lower the dosage temporarily so that you are not as habituated to its effects.

Now, here's the nasty part of the situation you're in. Withdrawal from tramadol can ALSO cause severe anxiety and panic attacks. The only way out of that one is to have your doctor put you on some mild tranquilizers (such as valium or ativan) to keep the anxiety in check while you reduce your dosage of tramadol. However, you're going to have to avoid trying to compensate for the pain as you withdraw by using other opiates or narcotics. There can be serious interactions between the sedatives and the painkillers, so you need to keep your painkiller dosage down overall. Don't stop the meds suddenly because at the doses you're taking, that could be dangerous in itself - but reduce the dosage gradually, just as you're doing with the tramadol.

I hate to be an ogre and tell you what I know you don't want to hear, but you're in a bad spot taking such high doses of narcotics. Taking higher doses may help with the pain temporarily, but it just habituates you more and more as you up the dosage. Before long, you're in a position where the dosage you find effective is enough to overdose and kill you.

It's extremely important that you gradually reduce your dosage of painkillers to a safe level - and that's quite a bit lower than where you are now. I won't kid you, there's going to be a certain amount of pain while you withdraw that you're just going to have to live with. Take Tylenol (no more than the label says) or ibuprofen (no more than 800 mg. every 4-6 hours) to help with that. But you've got to do this. You're risking your life and you need to back away from that proposition right now. You'll end up in a hospital or worse if you don't.

When you get your dosages back down to a safe level, use Tylenol or ibuprofen to supplement the rx painkillers when they become ineffective, and reduce each dose of tramadol by 50mg for a week or so. You'll find that if you then increase it by 50mg after that week, it'll do the job for you again. Same with the other narcotics. Taking more won't work, it'll just get you back where you are now. Reduce for a while, then go back up. Don't exceed safe dosages and don't combine them.

There's no way to manage chronic pain other than the way I've explained here, unless you're in such severe pain that you need to be hospitalized with a morphine IV. If that's the case, get yourself to a hospital ASAP. Otherwise, you need to *manage* your painkiller intake, not let it manage you. If you don't get your dosages under control, you may not be around very long.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

The "jumpy" feelings you're describing could also be due to interaction with the lexapro you're taking. SSRI's like lexapro have been shown to produce odd side effects when combined with tramadol, such as "buzzing" or "electrical shock" sensations in the head. I've heard patients describe the sensation as a "twinge" or a "zap" feeling, often during eye movements or with exposure to bright light/computer monitors, especially after focusing on a bright object for an extended period of time.

If this sounds more like what you're experiencing and you're not feeling tense or anxious, then you've got a drug interaction between the tramadol and the lexapro. This type of side effect is considered a serious one and you should contact your doctor ASAP. You'll need to switch to another pain medication that doesn't interact the same way, such as the hydrocodone, which works a little bit differently. However, you will still need to keep your dosage at a safe level or you run the risks I mentioned previously. Talk to your doctor about how to switch between the two painkillers, because stopping the tramadol suddenly is never a good idea. You'll want to gradually switch over to avoid serious withdrawal symptoms from the tramadol.

Having a good doctor is half the battle, so I hope you've got someone working with you that you trust and can completely confide in. Please be careful with your dosage and let your doctor tell you what's safe and what isn't. I know chronic pain is hard to manage and I truly sympathize, but increasing dosage on your own is extremely dangerous.

Hope this has helped. I wish you all the best.

dlink01 is offline New Member

Be careful about the high dosages of tramadol.

I was using as much as your "high" dosages....on a daily basis for weeks and am on Day 5 of being cold turkey off it and holy christmas the w/d's can be just....awful

But, they can also be overcome and tapering off is the safest and probably less terrible withdrawal way to get off it.

Hi dlink01,

Glad to hear you're getting off it but gradual is the safe way to go. If you can't reduce your dosage gradually, pay very close attention and if you notice any involuntary muscle contractions, get to the doc ASAP. There is a risk of epileptic-type seizures associated with "cold turkey" withdrawal from tramadol. If you've hung in there for 5 days and haven't had any serious symptoms, you'll probably be fine & feeling back to normal within 2-9 days. Withdrawal usually takes about 2 weeks, maybe a little longer if you were on it for an extended period of time.

Hang in there.

jthomp2u is offline New Member

Exclamation Tramadol is like poison

I just started taking Tramadol as Percocet seemed to cause severe muscle cramping.
    I took one Tramadol the other day and felt "weird" as described by others but the pain was better.
    Yesterday, I took another Tramadol and was literally weirded out the whole night and did not sleep at all. I was itching like crazy, sweating, nauseated, and dizzy. I felt like I had been hit by a nasty flu bug.
    Upon reading the experiences of others on this drug, and the drug data itself, I've concluded that this is poison. DANGEROUS to say the least. I will not take another one of these pills again! Beware, be educated. Scary stuff.
    Soobie likes this.

sarinsac is offline New Member

So I know the previous post are very old, but I have a question. I am completely off norco 10 mg (taking up to 15 per day) and have started a taper off using tramadol. I am now at 300 mg per day. I feel spacey all the dang time unless I take 400 mg of ibuprofen with it and eat first. My heart seems to hurt a little too. Is that just a withdrawl symptom. I went to the ER the other day and they were convinced it's not a heart problem. Obviously they are doctors, but even doctors make mistakes. I am doing 300 mg per day for 5 days, 250 mg for 4 days, 200 mg for 4 days, 150 for 4 days and 100 for 4 days and then Im going to white knuckle it after that. Does anyone out there think I'll be ok? I'm terrified to go backwards and I'm definitely not going to use narcotics for pain EVER again.

Mboone is offline New Member

I have recently cut back on tramadol. I have been taking 400-500 mg a day for 2 yrs. A few months ago I became very ill and finally figured out it was the tramadol. My lt. ear is blocked and I can hear fluid sloshing in my head behind that ear. My entire face started peeling and I have head pains, back pains, nerve pain shooting through arms and legs. Also terrible nausea and constant buzzing sound in my head. I had no idea about tramadol. I am currently at 150 mg a day and hope to have the courage to finish the detox this week ct. I am horrified by tramadol, such a dark scary drug, something so weird about it, and dangerous

giants2014 is offline New Member

I have been taking tramadol only for a month or so. Never more than 200mg a day. I started taking more last few days. I took about 300mg in a few hour period and had a siezure for the first time in my life. Event to ER and all test came back negative . Has any one every heard of a siezure at this dose?