Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Suboxone and weight gain
    deleted11 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone and weight gain

Hi--I have been taking suboxone as prescribed for a little over a month, and I have gained a lot of weight. Has anyone else had this experience? I've checked the drug info sites and weight loss is the only metabolic side-effect listed. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    jessie pooh likes this.

eastcoastsunshine is offline New Member

I'm trying to wean myself off of suboxone. It is a slow and painful process. Had no idea it would be this hard.

Anyway, I have been on and off of it for almost two years now. I have gained forty pounds since I started taking it. I have never been this heavy in my life.

I have constant heart burn, the constipation is the worse (even though doctors say, just take something for it, that didn't work with me).

I honestly think all of my weight gained was due to the suboxone.

Good luck.

eastcoastsunshine is offline New Member

I'm trying to wean myself off of suboxone. It is a slow and painful process. Had no idea it would be this hard.

Anyway, I have been on and off of it for almost two years now. I have gained forty pounds since I started taking it. I have never been this heavy in my life.

I have constant heart burn, the constipation is the worse (even though doctors say, just take something for it, that didn't work with me).

I honestly think all of my weight gained was due to the suboxone.

Good luck.

lupa is offline New Member

Default Suboxone and weight gain

Dear Genxprof,

In answer to your question about Suboxone and weight gain, I have been on Suboxone for about 7 months and have had significant weight gain. My weight was 135 before the Suboxone and is now 165. I have never had a weight problem in my life other than maybe being to skinny. This is the heaviest I've ever been and it is miserable. But I am off the hydrocodone so I cannot exactly regret taking it. I seem to crave sweets with an intensity I've never had before. In fact, I rarely ate many sweets before the Suboxone. But now I can't go a meal without something sweet after it. I've tried to stop and replace sweets with more healthy alternatives but I always end up right back to the sweets. I'm hoping to be off the Suboxone soon. I will let you know if my cravings for sweets goes away when I'm off the medicine. And if my weight returns to a more manageable number. Good luck with your treatment. It's a hard road but well worth it!

Lupa

suboxdetox is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Weight Gain!!!!

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents because I thought it was just me. I have been on Subbies for almost a year now. Since high school I have been a steady 150-160lb tops(I'm now 30yrs old). Last time I dared to weigh myself I was 190lbs! Last Thursday my prescription got thrown away (long story), I had to wait until Monday to get my refill, It was the longest I had went without in along time, It was very hard to sleep and I was restless, BUT the cravings for food were totally gone, and by monday morning (seriously) I could see a difference in the mirror, and I felt like I was getting lighter. I didn't weigh myself but it's Tuesday now and I feel huge again, I think it's like water retention, it has to be? Is there any other way to drop weight that quick, then gain it back in two days? I'm sure I probably didnt actually lose alot of weight, but the bloated feeling was totally gone. I am gonna start a "weening off" process because this fatty boom balatty is killin me. Anyway to sum everything up and shoot straight SUBOXONE MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT, for sure. I wonder why they don't mention this, or is it just an unlucky few that have to squeeze into there pants??

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by suboxdetox View Post
    Hello, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents because I thought it was just me. I have been on Subbies for almost a year now. Since high school I have been a steady 150-160lb tops(I'm now 30yrs old). Last time I dared to weigh myself I was 190lbs! Last Thursday my prescription got thrown away (long story), I had to wait until Monday to get my refill, It was the longest I had went without in along time, It was very hard to sleep and I was restless, BUT the cravings for food were totally gone, and by monday morning (seriously) I could see a difference in the mirror, and I felt like I was getting lighter. I didn't weigh myself but it's Tuesday now and I feel huge again, I think it's like water retention, it has to be? Is there any other way to drop weight that quick, then gain it back in two days? I'm sure I probably didnt actually lose alot of weight, but the bloated feeling was totally gone. I am gonna start a "weening off" process because this fatty boom balatty is killin me. Anyway to sum everything up and shoot straight SUBOXONE MAKES YOU GAIN WEIGHT, for sure. I wonder why they don't mention this, or is it just an unlucky few that have to squeeze into there pants??

There are obviously some people who've gained weight using suboxone. You are living proof. It's not the suboxone though, at least not to my knowledge.

It's very common when anyone stops taking RX opiates like percs, vics, oxy or whatever that they are inclined to begin eating more. It happened to me too but I wasn't even on subs at the time. We spend all of our time putting pills into our mouths and we have to find something else to do with that time, with that energy that went into taking pills throughout the day. So we eat, more out of nervous energy than anything else.

There is nothing in the chemical make up of suboxone that would contribute to a weight gain. It's just us getting clean and blowing off some nervous energy. Start an exercise program, do something constructive with your time and the weight gain will stop.

It's a standing joke in 12 step recovery ... new people begin coming to NA meetings and after a while a LOT of them start gaining weight. People joke about them "growing" in their recovery. You seriously need to find new things to do with your time so you don't eat. That's the bottom line. God bless.
    Cindeesunnyfl likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Malal31 is offline New Member

The suboxone luckily hasn't caused me to gain weight yet but I seem to crave sweets and soda all the time. I never use to until I started the medicine... is that one of the side effects?

But you stopped pain pills before you started the subs. It's stopping the RX opiates not the subs making you crave sugar. That happens a lot. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

tabcat is offline Junior Member

I have gained about 25 lbs on suboxone...not really changing my eating habits at all. But I think it does make you crave sweets alot...so who knows? I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life.

Just like I said on the last post lots of people crave sweets when they go through opiate detox. It's the fact that you've just stopped taking opiates and not the suboxone that's caused this to happen. At least that is the case in the majority of cases. God bless.

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

I've been on Subs and have to force myself to eat and for the first time the sound of something sweet does nothing for me...nothing really taste that great to me....don't get me wrong I do eat but I drink a lot of water you need to flush your system....ditch the soft drinks and sweets they will really mess you up and start excercising it will help with the tapers ....Please do not take this the wrong way as it is not ment that way.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tabcat View Post
    I have gained about 25 lbs on suboxone...not really changing my eating habits at all. But I think it does make you crave sweets alot...so who knows? I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life.
    Hi Tabcat
    I never took the sub's but after I was off of all my drugs and I started working out...and everything started to look good again...
    So just hang on you can always take the weight off when you get done with this taper and your going to be better than new ...

I promise you it will all be worth it...
    Have a great day, Melinda

wondrbelli2009 is offline New Member

Default IT really sucks!!

I have to tell you all my experience. I have been on Suboxone/subutex for almost 4 years. I went off it for 6 months last year from around may 08 to nov 08. First off, I had been on it for around 2 years. I tried several times to detox and wa unsuccessful in doing it in my bed. I made it to 4 days a couple of times. I just couldnt stand it anymore. I was ready to use over it. so I started to take it again. anyway, I got off it last year, let me tell you.. it was THE longest 12 days in my entire 34 years of life!!!!! no understatement there!! SO I ended up back on it after a relapse in sept. Here is where the weight thing comes in. I gained 60 pounds on it the first year. I got off it and worked a job at a golf course. so I lost about 30 pounds, although it looked closer to 40 to 45 pounds in the mirror(maybe it was just a figment of my imagination) being used to seeing myself so heavy. But since Nov. 08- I have gained even more. I am up to 225. I was 160 tops when I started this whole bupenorphine thing 3 and a half years ago. I am so sick of looking at myself! but I dont want to go back to using! and I really want off the BOX! I go to school and I am telling you, it messes with my motivatiion. I have never loved sweets, but I am eating it all the time. I almost only eat sweets!!! I am imobile persay, I feel like I am lazy, I dont want to go out and do anything. I simply am fine getting lost in my favorite tv shows and new movies. I wrote all this to say,.. yeah, I am glad to be off the dope, but am I sure this is the best thing for me... NO! my anxiety is up too! anyway, I am sure that if you have anything in common with my BOX experience, its because of the suboxone. beleive me, you may find it hard as hell to get off. and hard as hell to lose the weight after, but I would not hold it against you for trying, and anyone who says otherwise, can take the ******** themselves and find out what its like trying to live your life with no energy and in a cool haze!
    IHATEDOCTORS likes this.

wondrbelli2009 is offline New Member

Default Robert_325

I dont know if your experience is consumer or book! But I beg to differ with your post that : craving sugar is because of the detox of opiates.
    IT CAN BE! people often have a metabolic reaction causing the body to crave in adjustment to its loss. But I have been clean on it for 2 years at a time, I have been a acreditted counselor and I am a Biology major with first hand consumer experience. The BOX CAUSES the cravings of sugar as well. It has to be something to do with the pleasure center of the brain in my opinion!!!

kidmonster is offline Junior Member

I personally haven't had my cravings for sugar increase since stopping Subs once month ago...But who knows it may. I understand when the other posts say that once you stop the opiates to go on to the subs, it's the lack of true opiates that click on the sweets need

wondrbelli ..... There are exceptions to every rule but I've worked with countless people on this forum not counting all the others I talk to off the forum working in recovery. My personal experience is plastered all across the forum.

Gaining weight while using suboxone is an exception, NOT THE RULE. LOTS of people do crave sugar however when detoxing from opiates. It happens with RX opiates, >>>>>>, lots of opiate detoxes result in a craving for sugar. That is a fact.

I would like for you to show me clinical study results that prove the consumption of buprenorphine causes sugar cravings. I will pass on further comments on this subject until I see a legitimate report verifying such in print. I doubt that such study results exist.

Nothing against you personally but I don't believe you're correct unless you're referring to your own personal experience ONLY as an exception to the norm. God bless.

Anonymous Guest

well here i go with my 5 cents worth,
    on methadone i gained a ton of weight and craved sugar. the doctor said no its not the methadone, its your eating habits. bullsh!t. everyone i know on methadone puts weight on, and loves ice cream and soda.
    now change to subs, i was hoping that sugar buzz would be gone for me.
    well it isnt. BUT IT IS LESS THAN METHADONE.

so my vote is in the fact it does do something. thankfully for me i think i have lost a bit of weight on subs, and dont eat ice cream every single night, like i used to on methadone.

mind you im counting off the subs, and im really hoping then i lose all this weight, and start being a bit "normal" again.

cheeky

lmish0728 is offline New Member

The reason I'm on the computer this morning is to educate myself about Suboxone because of my weight gain. I looked for information when I first started taking it two years ago, but there wasn't much about it at that time. After reading all the posts, I'm shocked because I'm having many of the same issues and didn't know it had anything to do with Suboxone and the doctors can't figure out what's wrong. I had wondered if it was the Suboxone, but all the doctors I asked kept saying no and a few of my friends who are taking it aren't having the same reaction to it except for one girl I just met. I am 5'7" and was 145lbs when I started taking Suboxone two years ago. I have never been heavy in my life, but since I've gained 80lbs and I can't stand it. I look in the mirror and don't recognize who I see anymore and I'm so sad about it. I'm not eating anymore then usual, as a matter of fact, I'm eating less, although I do eat when I feel sick to my stomach. My feet are so swollen that I had to buy a larger size shoe, my hands are just as swollen that I can't make a fist in the mornings. I have nausea constantly and thank God I found if you eat a piece of ginger from the health food store it takes all nausea and heartburn away. It's a miracle and doctors either don't know about it or don't share the information. My house is usually spotless, but now I have 0 motivation to do anything and my house is a mess. I'm not anywhere near the same person that I used to be since a few months after taking Suboxone. I thought I was just depressed or it was because of the fibromyalgia, but now I'm really thinking it is all because of the Suboxone. I also have alot of constipation like others have talked about along with irritability, no sex drive, anxiety and I smoke much more shortly after taking one. This drug really helped me get off the opiates and I'm very grateful for that, but now I think I need to get off it asap. I feel like it's poisoning me. Thank you to everyone who shared their experience about this drug.
    Last edited by lmish0728; 02-28-2010 at 12:08 PM.

lmish0728 is offline New Member

I'd like to add one more thing to the post I just sent in. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I'm also having alot of trouble with my memory. I forget so many things all the time and I never had that problem before. My husband says I'm like the girl in the movie 50 First Dates.

I can help you get off the subs. Check out the following link. This is the process I use for helping people get off subs and it works. I never have anyone with weight gain problems and I've been doing this for years. Like I said earlier in this thread there can always be an exception to any rule. If you want my help let me know. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Last edited by Robert_325; 02-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Jdcampbe is offline New Member

Default Weight gain

I have been on subs for about 3 months and I have gained 40 lbs or so BUT the day I got on subs was the day I started lifting weights. I don't know if lifting weights has caused me to gain so much weight or the subs did. I weigh more than ever but I feel good so I'm not so worried about it. Thought I'd throw my two cents on this thread.

JanP is offline New Member

Yes, I gained about 50 lbs. I have never been this heavy in my life. I have to eat about every 2 hours. I am so upset. Hopefully when the withdrwal symptoms stop I will loose it. I pray!!

Reyna7 is offline Junior Member

Default Question For All Gaining Weight

Has anyone gone on a strict change of eating habits AKA Weight Watchers and joined a gym and had success?

I am starting the subs on Tuesday and this scares the heck out of me. I have already joined WW and a gym. My husband is planning on doing both with me so it makes it easier for me. It is very hard to cook a healthy dinner and then another dinner for everyone else.

I do NOT want to gain any weight, so am going into this proactive. There have to be some success stories of those who gained weight then took it off or those that never gained any weight at all.

Reyna

new_sub is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    There are obviously some people who've gained weight using suboxone. You are living proof. It's not the suboxone though, at least not to my knowledge.

It's very common when anyone stops taking RX opiates like percs, vics, oxy or whatever that they are inclined to begin eating more. It happened to me too but I wasn't even on subs at the time. We spend all of our time putting pills into our mouths and we have to find something else to do with that time, with that energy that went into taking pills throughout the day. So we eat, more out of nervous energy than anything else.

There is nothing in the chemical make up of suboxone that would contribute to a weight gain. It's just us getting clean and blowing off some nervous energy. Start an exercise program, do something constructive with your time and the weight gain will stop.

It's a standing joke in 12 step recovery ... new people begin coming to NA meetings and after a while a LOT of them start gaining weight. People joke about them "growing" in their recovery. You seriously need to find new things to do with your time so you don't eat. That's the bottom line. God bless.

Your response sounds good but is in fact not the case with me for one. I have been taking Suboxone as prescribed for 4 days and have gained between 5 and 10 lbs, which is precisely the 5 to 10 lbs I lost over the last weeks weaning myself off of methadone. Both drugs most certainly do cause water retention even edema in some people. While the studies may not indicate that a greater than 5% incidence of those in the clinical trial retained water, and while the physiological effect of the drug may not indicate water retention, most people who actually take the drug gain weight, as they do on methadone. It is not necessarily for the reasons you state. In the four days I have been taking 16 to 24 Mg of suboxone I have eaten very little because I have no appetite. In fact only one meal per day on average and not a bite today, where the scales just tipped back over 190 lbs for the first time since I went below 5mg of methadone over a month ago. I have been drinking as much water as possible but I am going hours between bathroom visits, as I did when dosed on methadone, and went 2 or 3 times an hour when taking neither methadone or suboxone and drinking a quart to a half gallon or more of water an hour.

Light bulb, stop taking the drugs, pee normally, or better still, no need to drink gallons of water, lose weight and go about me merry way. But alas, I wouldn't be taking the Suboxone if I had been able to handle the methadone withdrawals without substituting other opiates, writhing in pain, sneezing, upchucking, blah blah blah. I am trying the Suboxone. It does stop the cravings, doesn't get me high, but in me is resulting in insomnia, some anxiety, loss of appetite, water retention/weight gain, difficulty urinating, some non lethargic non euphoric mood change, and best of all a feeling I might just be able to beat this addiction if I can sweat this water off the same way I have at times been able to do while maintained on methadone. It can't be done long term though I don't believe, so I will set up a schedule to wean myself off Suboxone as soon as I can get the maintenance dose regulated. I don't know how widespread the water retention thing is, but I can feel the difference in my body, my eyes are puffy, my shoes and pants both tight, and I have gone back up to 36s from the 34s I've been wearing for weeks and all this in four days. At the Dr office Monday I was weighed in at 183, my scales show 191 right now. I go back Monday and have to get that down or the doc could take me off the suboxone. I believe they will learn over time that weight gain is the norm for certain individuals. I have other health issues besides being opiate challenged, and while I certainly don't know why my body doesn't process fluid the same on suboxone or methadone, while doing fine with oxycodone, hydrocodone, or fentanyl, there is a cause/effect relationship there to be ferreted out by a researcher some where.

doddja is offline New Member

Question suboxone weight gain

Hello everyone, I have been on suboxone for 7 months now. two weeks after i started suboxone i gained 20lbs and now i have gained over 40lbs. i have never been overweight. ive always been about 130 and now i am 175. its very depressing. ive started working out at the gym, but i have a really bad sweet tooth since ive been on suboxone, i will sit around and eat candy all day and not eat very much food. does anyone have any suggestions on losing weight and getting back to my normal weight? right now i have to be on suboxone, i could not funtion without it.

Anonymous Guest

wot dose are you on..?? and how much has your lifestyle changed.
    i have a funny feeling you are gonna tell me,,, 16mg or more. dunno. could be wrong....

Asharr is offline Banned

Suboxone is a known medicine to gain your weight.
    My friend have started using this medicine to gain his weight after consulting his doctor.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asharr View Post
    Suboxone is a known medicine to gain your weight.
    My friend have started using this medicine to gain his weight after consulting his doctor.
    Thanks

Some people gain weight while using suboxone because their dose is too high and they are plastered on the couch doing nothing for months but eating. But suboxone is NOT prescribed for weight gain. Any dr that prescribes suboxone for weight gain should have his / her license to practice medicine revoked.

Suboxone is NOT an appetite stimulant. Never heard of such nonsense! If you don't want to gain weight while using suboxone use the proper dose and get some exercise. Plus you can't sit around the house eating candy all day on any medication and expect to not gain weight. That is pure common sense. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.

tennlady3 is offline New Member

I just wanted to throw my experience in.. Since starting suboxone, I have gained approximately 60lbs and hardly eat at ALL!! I am eating NOT right. I usually eat some salsa and chips at night, followed by a big cup of ice cream and milk. All day I drink soda and tea. and thats IT! This is HORRIBLE diet, I know! You would think with me eating only that, I would LOSE weight. No, I just keep gaining it.

and also, my blood pressure has gone from around 180/20, until last week it was 209/99! My doctor was freaked out, and I started Lisinopril (sp?) Just another dang pill. Ugg. anyhow, he said I was lucky he didnt put me in the hospital that day. He checked both arms and kept saying "oh my gosh" Not very reassuring. amazed however, that he took my BP and didnt have his nurse do it, lol. This is my sub doc, by the way, as I still dont have a general doc. the reason being, while using, I altered the date on my script (arent we addicts lovely folk when using) for an early refill and he dropped me. Dont blame him. Wow.. did I go off topic. Just my experience and thought I would share.

Im hoping, once Im off the suboxone (wont be much longer now!) that I will lose? Curious, and this may have been answered, but has anyone going off subs found the weight fall off? Or does it just stick around? sorry if this was answered.. im kind of in a rush.. thanks in advance!

jaypbarb666 is offline Member

To oddja - The answer is simple and I'm sure you already know it. You said yourself you eat candy as your main calorie source. Occasionally candy is fine, but your diet should consist of lean protein, complex carbs and unsaturated fat. If you are gaining weight you are eating more calories than you are burning. Eat less, burn more, eat quality foods. Don't let everyone else over complicate it.
    Last edited by jaypbarb666; 07-22-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast