Suboxone and toothaches?
    Missfortune is offline New Member

Exclamation Suboxone and toothaches?

I started taking suboxone about a month ago and here for the past 2 weeks ive been having toothaches while and after taking the medication.

Ive had pretty healthy teeth for the most part.

I put the med under my tounge and about 10 minutes of it disolving, my teeth get very sensitive and once the tablet is completly disolved my teeth hurt for a good 2-4 hours.

Anyone else have this problem or could this even be the cause?Its driving me
    CRAZY!
    Thanks.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Missfortune View Post
    I started taking suboxone about a month ago and here for the past 2 weeks ive been having toothaches while and after taking the medication.

I put the med under my tounge and about 10 minutes of it disolving, my teeth get very sensitive and once the tablet is completly disolved my teeth hurt for a good 2-4 hours.

CRAZY!
    Thanks.

I have never heard of this side effect but that surely doesn't mean it's not possible. We all react differently so the same medications. Can't say that it is or it isn't a possible side effect, I'm just not familiar with it. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

CRAZY!
    Thanks.
    I have not seen this side effect either .I suggest you talk to your Dr about the possibility of switching to subutex.Perhaps you are having some sort of adverse reaction to the naloxone in suboxone.Subutex does not contain naloxone. This is just a suggestion.There have been reports of people having some problems with naloxone side effects..Good luck.

I have heard of people complaining of new cavities while on sub but not pain while taking it and pain afterwards. I do believe sub can cause tooth decay if you people are vigilant about their oral hygenine while on it. My teeth went way down hill while on methadone but I've learned my lesson and brush extra now that im on sub. Before any of this I have suffered from sensitive teeth. You should try brushing with sensodyne and using a mouthwash for sensitive teeth some are made by colgate & crest. Use only a soft bristled tooth brush and stay away from acidic foods. You can also try orajel advanced tooth desensitizer its supposed to last 3 months. I use it and sensodyne pronamel with a soft bristled tooth brush. I have found this very helpful. I also use a fluoride mouthwash. Do not use any mouthwash not made for sensitive teeth they make the problem worse. i use colgate sensitive whitening mouthwash. the whitening part worried me at 1st since whiting products cause people w/sensitive teeth severe pain but it doesnt bother me. If none of these treatments help and you can see a dentist they can rx toothpaste & mouthwash. You can also get a fluoride varnish applied near your gum line. I did this it did wonders. I hope this helps you some sensitive teeth are a real pain! Good Luck I hope you are able to resolve this problem

Missfortune is offline New Member

Omg.
    The past couple days me teeth have hurt worse than ever.The sub doesnt seems to be working for the pain as much.

Im waiting to get into the dentist...but until then...anyone know what i can do to help it?

I take 800 mg ibprofen 3 times a day and tylenol extra strength when its in between doses of ibprofen.Orajel isnt working worth a ********.Ambesol isnt either.lol.

Ive been brushing 3 times a day with sensodyne and been using a mouthwash made for sensitive teeth.

I cant eat anything, hurts to talk and my cheek hurts as well.

I know its a cavity but i need some type of relief.
    Thanks in advance.

Missfortune ... get a little bottle of what is called Temprin I believe. It's like a quick solidifying puddy. You put it over and in the cavity and it keeps the nerve from being exposed until you can get to the dentist. IT WORKS I PROMISE. About any pharmacy will have it. Hope that helps, toothaches are a drag. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Jessika712 is offline New Member

CRAZY!
    Thanks.
    I have been on suboxone for 10 months now. And yes, I believe it does cause tooth aches. I have had them alot since being on the drug. Even worse my teeth have been decaying in the back. I always had really nice teeth up until I was in the methadone clinic. the whole time in there I got serious tooth aches that would have me in tears and after 6 months I noticed my teeth in the back starting to decay. Well, I got off the methadone and my teeth were fine for a year until I started on suboxone. Now they just keep getting worse. I have lost five of my back teeth so far (alot of that is because I could not afford the dentist to get them saved). Now I finally have insurance to go to the dentist. But my advice to you is if your going to be on suboxone for awhile you need to start seeing a dentist to prevent any problems with your teeth. I am hoping to get off the suboxone soon not only because I believe it is time but also I cant deal with the tooth pain and losing any more teeth!! So good luck and hopefully you can get into a dentist to talk with them about it.

While methadone is known to cause tooth decay I still don't think it's the case for subs unless one's teeth are ignored. Everyone obviously needs to take care of their teeth, but these well known problems with methadone are not common to subs as they are with methadone. God bless.

caseywrice is offline New Member

Default Tooth Decay

I believe it does cause tooth decay too. I have been on sub for almost 3yrs and my dentist has been very busy always fixing my cavities. I think I had only 2 or 3 before I started sub and I am 30yrs old., so it has to be the sub, nothing else has changed in my diet or brushing habits. It could be me getting older, but I just dont buy it. It has to be sub

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

casey, the post your answer is a year old, from Feb. of '09 so I doubt the original poster will see your reply. Please feel free to participate in any other thread about your experiences. (The date of the post is above the name).

zeoran is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Tooth Damage

Hello,

I too was a long-term Suboxone user. I took 3-8mg sublingual tablets per day for over 3 years. And I noticed after the first year or so that my teeth, which weren't perfect, but not that bad, were literally beginning to disintegrate. I have now lost over 5 teeth because of this drug. My dentist noticed it and when i first did a google search and found this site and others like it, I stopped taking the Suboxone immediately. I am now trying to get my teeth fixed/replaced, and I've found a lawyer who thinks that I have a case against the manufacturer because of the lack of warning against this severe side effect of long-term usage of the drug. And yes, I know all about "dry mouth", I've been taking high doses of opiates for years before I was put on Suboxone and I'm still taking them years after I stopped taking Suboxone. And no, I wasn't put on Suboxone for opiate abuse. It was determined to be an efffective pain medication for my chronic lower-back pain.If anyone out there is willing to step forward and help me, tell their story and likely give a deposition to the lawyer, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm actually surprised that a class-action lawsuit hasn't been brought against Reckit for this gross negligence in notifying people of this effect. I'm 100% sure that they are aware of it by now. If you can help me, please contact me ASAP.

Thank you and good luck to everyone.

~Mark Schamber

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

dont forget all the years of ''taking high doses of opiates for years''' will probably come into this law suit and you will be laughed out of the court room....

good luck, but i dont think you are gonna have a leg to stand on...

kerry burns is offline New Member

How I get in touch with you Mark?

Ashulitax is offline New Member

Im on sub 8/2 the film and my teeth have become sooooo bad,like the way a piece o chalk the teacher use in the blackboard im so sad and desperate that I quit my job and stay in my room all day I don't know anybody of my family or friends with recovery or adictoon I will like to talk to ppl who understand thank you ( my english is very not good)