suboxone and full-agonist opiod tolerance
    sooie is offline New Member

Default suboxone and full-agonist opiod tolerance

hey guys,

thanks to the help of educated drug users as your self I was recently able to start on suboxone. I have about a 80-160mg oxy habit and am one of the lucky ones who does not get extremely uncomftorable withdrawal, just a little anxiety and preoccupation.

But despite lack of withdrawals I could only seem to go two or three days before I wound up in Mexico again, it gets really expensive, ya know. So to string together a little time I researched suboxone and have been able to control my cravings with 4mg a day.

In you guys's experience do you think that full agonist opiod tolerance goes down while on suboxone? (taking into account those dosages)

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Once you become opiate tolerant then it pretty much sticks with you.You can even quit altogether for weeks or months and within a few days your tolerance is back up and most times your taking more then before you stop.So I don't believe anything will help with that.That's why there are stronger opiates otherwise we would just have say morphine for a painkiller.
    Speaking of this tolerance thing.Scientist's have studied why people don't seem to get tolerant to methadone very quickly.The way I understand it is in the racemic methadone there is something there that they have found slows tolerance.They are now trying to get this material into morphine to see if it slows or stops tolerance to it.In theory it works so now they need to do practical tests to see how it goes.This would be a major break through and would make it alot easier to just use morphine instead of codeine,hydrocodone ect.If it works then you will see it being used in all quick and sustained release opiates.....Dave

vduda is offline Member

Default suboxone

sooie,

I am glad that your making an effort to get off the opiods. An 80mg - 160mg a day addiction to oxycontin is a big deal. However, if you do not experience severe withdraws, then why are you getting on suboxone? Not judging, just asking a question. My problem was the severe withdraw syndrome. I posted a reply on all the medications I was on just four months ago. This cycle went on for 10 years, but got really bad the last 4. I was in a catch 22 because if I stayed on the medication I was going to die. Like I pointed out my heart stopped three times and I had to be resuscitated. So my extreme abuse of some 3,200mg to 3,500mg dependency cannot be compared to your situation. Basically, I was on every opiod known to man in fatal doses at the same time. Maybe, that is why I am still going through withdraws 4 months later. Again, if you do not have the drastic withdraw symptoms, don't go getting hooked on suboxone. And yes, Suboxone is very addicting. Each mg = about 10mg of morphine if I remember correctly.

You say that after 3 or 4 days you would end up in Mexico. Why, if you have next to no withdraw symptoms?

What is the longest you were off the oxycontin?

Go two weeks and then you will know if you have physical withdraws.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

vduda - I'm curious, 3500mg of what? OC, that's like 40 80's that's a small fortune, a grand per day!!

I can't see how anybody, even Superman can be addicted to opioids and go 3 days with no W/D's, there's something wrong with this picture.

I think you miss read the dosage.

About the lack of withdrawal I'm not sure whats going on but I know that some of you guys are in some serious pain when you kick but I can't say that I get that. I was on Klonopin for a few years and I had awfull withdrawals from that, maybe opiate withdrawals just seem less severe in comparison because I truly beleive that my I am more sensitive to benzo withdrawals than other people.

But when I run out or OC I get a little anxious and on the third day my muscles sort of kick when I try to sleep.

You know there is literature out there that suggest that some people on long term opiate treatment for pain have been able to quit with minimal withdrawal, but only when they are taking it for anelgesia not euphoria.

I think the portion of the population that has a more euphoric response to opiates tend to also experience more withdrawal thus leading to addiction.

So everybody is different but most people that would be on this site probally have a predisposition to addiction/withdrawal.

Or maybe six months is not long enough for me to get addicted

ttgreat is offline New Member

Default detox help plzz

Hi, I am new here,
    I have been addicted to hydrocodone 5/500 for 4 yrs, dr. put me on due to back spasms, now I cant function without the stuff, taking 8 to 10 pills a day, also in the last 6 to 8 months I started taking soma generic brand, and I need up to 10 of throughs a day. I am soo depressed and disgusted with my life, I tried to tell my husband for him to plz help me, but he doesnt get it, he just says quit, wont try to learn about what im going through, or anthing, we've tried tappering off, but he just acts like pill cammando and then I tear the place apart until i find them. Ive never detoxed or been to a program, Im so scared to tell my dr. for fear he'll cut me off, I get sooooooo sick beyound belief, serious withdrawls, body ache 10 fold, sweating, anxious, cant think or hold a conversation, cant sleep, and if i do im ringing wet when i wake up, extreme fatigue, all the while knowing if I take a pill it will fix everything. Should I take sub, whatever its called. where should i get it?, how much.
    Plz help, this stuff is controlling my life.
    I need to STOP.
    feel like such a pathetic looser !
    Thanx for listening

Default Plz reply anyone !!

I'm sorry to be a pain, but would someone plzzz reply to my previous post.
    I need help, I'm about to run out of meds, I dont want to go into w/d, and I dont want to have to hunt down more.
    plzz help

Cats Meow is offline Banned

ttgreat, you should have started your own thread, you would get a quicker response, then hijacking the OP's.

Suboxone would definitely work for you, but you should make a concentrated effort to quit on your own first, and you know to do that, you should taper down. Since you only take the 5mgs of hydro it really shouldn't be that tough for you. That's obviously too much Soma too, start cutting back on it. Write down on paper what and when you take your meds and work out a taper plan. I know it's hard to quit, but you want to, so do it, you don't have to be a slave to the pills, get determined, no one else can do it for you, get tough.

Suboxone is prescribed only by doctors that have gone through the training and have the privilege to prescribe it. I think Suboxone.com has a list of docs in your area that you can contact. It is very expensive, but it's worth it to those who can't quit any other way.

Since you're out of meds, be brave and bite the bullet and go through the W/D's, you can get through it, no one dies from W/D's.
    Good luck.

Thank you Cat,
    I appriciate your help.

ttgreat

That sounds like an awful situation! You need to make getting on suboxone the number one priority right now. You are an excellent candidate for suboxone therapy and most everyone will agree that it is a wonderdrug.

I thought that there was no way that a pill could stop my obsession with oxycontin but it has.

Suboxone is an opiate like your hydros but it is not as intense and last very long, so the result is a more stable opiate effect..

you will feel normal and not have withdrawals and in a couple weeks the idea of not taking anything will seem actually feasible

ttgreat

That sounds like an awful situation! You need to make getting on suboxone the number one priority right now. You are an excellent candidate for suboxone therapy and most everyone will agree that it is a wonderdrug.

I thought that there was no way that a pill could stop my obsession with oxycontin but it has.

Suboxone is an opiate like your hydros but it is not as intense and last very long, so the result is a more stable opiate effect..

you will feel normal and not have withdrawals and in a couple weeks the idea of not taking anything will seem actually feasible.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-06-2008 at 04:46 AM.

fred12345 is offline New Member

Default Stay away from Narcon

Anybody tking opioids would do well to steer clear of the antagonist Naloxone unless they like the inside of an emergency room.

itwillpass is offline New Member

Red face

if you have little or no withdrawals stay away from the subox. i get wd bad from only 10 10 mg percs a day for a year i say only b/c compared to alot of postings that probably seems little. i to thought subox was this wonder drug and tapered correctly and was on 8mg a day down to .25mg a day after a month and a half went 4 days on that then said forget it it im done. i stopped taken it and had one of the worst bouts of w/ds even worse then the perc w/ds and it lasted atleast 8 days that stuff sticks to your receptors so you think your fine for a couple days then it gets out of your system and the w/ds kick in. if you get no w/ds stay away from opiates.....my brother used to never get w/ds and i always did and i wondered why, but everyone is different and he still abuses painkillers and after a longer period of time he now gets w/ds.so my point is stay far away from opiates nothing good will ever come from it. and the subox will just trap you you think it'll make it better and i guess for a brief period it does it keeps you " Normal" without getting high (with the right doses). but as soon as you are done your gonna go thru what you did with the opiates no matter how much you taper down and it will be worse.

anewsoberlife is offline New Member

sooie....When you started to take the sub did your anxiety / preoccupation subside? Im in WD (32hrs) now and going to see dr tonight for subs..i get the aches,pains but really am experienceing what you describe and Im climing the walls...I really like to hear your experience when you started the subs after intial withdrwal.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Obviously,everyone is different, but I don't think you should be feeling an opiate high on sub, at least after the first few days. If you do, something isn't right. Sub is supposed to normalize the way you feel, not sick, not high, and then the proper thing to do is taper off before you do develop an addiction to the sub. There are people on this thread that have done it very successfully. I would suggest you go to featured drugs. the second sticky is about suboxone/subutex therapy and suggests a taper that will work. If you stay on sub too long, you will without a doubt develop the addiction you DON'T have now, according to what you say. What it sounds to me like is that you have a severe mental dependency, just as hard if not harder to deal with than physical addiction. But if you plan to go the sub route, heed my words and do it correctly. Good luck.