Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Strattera
    StrwbrryGrL is offline New Member

Default Strattera

Strattera
    Generic Name: atomoxetine
    Treatment for: Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Have you taken or do you take Strattera?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences while taking this drug.

Consumer Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/strattera.html

Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/strattera.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 12:53 AM.

mother2 is offline New Member

I have a son on strattera and he is now doing wonderful, I do believe the mixed with wellbutrin is a very bad choice and being the the nursing field 27 year I haven't seen it do very many people any good. It is a narcotic that is very addictive and has a HUGE amount of side effects, which you sem to be discribing. Good luck but I would ask my doctor to be taken off the the Wellbutrin.

StrwbrryGrL is offline New Member

i am having a hard time with my new insurance and them not accepting pre=exsisting conditions, i dont really understand what that means but i don;t think i can see any of my old doctors....if i want to stop taking the Wellbutrin, should I just cut them in half or take them every other day or anything else? I know from personal experince it is bad to just stop cold turkey.

hilesq is offline New Member

Whatever you do, do NOT cut a wellbutrin XL in half! You didn't say whether you are taking the XL (sustained release) or not, but if it is a sustained release tablet, it will release way too much into your system too fast if you cut it.

As I understand it (layperson speaking) wellbutrin and strattera both inhibit reuptake of norepinephrine to differing extents (strattera a great deal) so the combined effect is probably what is making you ill. Can't you speak to the physician who prescribed the meds? You shouldn't be suffering from the meds that are supposed to make you feel better, and you shouldn't have to play home chemistry with your own body, no matter how poor your health coverage. If someone wrote the scripts that person is responsible for making sure they are not harming more than they help (that is, after all in the Hippocratic oath!) Good luck.

Angelgrl is offline New Member

I have a 7 year old son that it about to drive me CRAZY!! We have not
    wanted toput him onm any typeof medication for his ADHD, but each day seems to getting worse. Is Strattera something I should try for him.He is not at all atetntive in class & doesn't want to complete his work there or at home. He has some good days, but they are becoming fewer as time goes on. He is also on Zyrtec which does not seem to be helping him at all with his being so ill ?? Any advise would br GREAT !!!

Angelgrl is offline New Member

I must apologize for the messing typing...I do this all day long
    and by this time I'm a wreck!!! Maybe I need some meds

msallen is offline New Member

I began taking strattera with concerta about 2 months ago. I had to quit taking the strattera after a couple of weeks, b/c it was giving me terrible mood swings. I don't recommend it all.

psisci is offline Junior Member

You should not be on Strattera and Wellbutrin. Of the 2 Wellbutrin is most likely to cause the agitation and mood lability, but to say much more I would need some doses etc..

Dr.S.

mudwitch is offline New Member

I was diagnosed with ADD about 4 years ago and was put on adderall. My son has been on ritalin and more recently adderall for 10 years. My doctor decided to put me on strattera! That drug is a joke. It didn't do anything for add. However, I thought it was just me, so I got my son to take them for a couple of days - his reply "Mom those things ain't nothing" and went back to his adderall. I had to find another doctor to get back on adderall, they help me with the add so good! Its like a miracle drug - all those years of growing up thinking that I must be some kind of freak, then taking that little pill and realizing that I wasn't a freak after all - the feeling is too good to put into words! You 1st need to find another doctor and 2nd throw out the strattera and get adderall, the wonder drug!

Donwri is offline New Member

I'm 47 years old and have been diagnosed with ADD this year. I agree with the diagnosis as it explains a great deal of why I've experienced life as I have. I was put on Strattera and have taken it for 2 months. Only side effects I've experienced is weird dreams. Not night mares, just weird. As far as working on the ADD, I've experienced nothing. I've stopped taking it as of this posting. I would like to try Adderal or the other stimulants, but there has been a little alcohol abuse in my distant past and no Dr will let me use them. At 47 I suppose it really doesn't matter if i'm ever treated for the disorder. Would like to have experienced a normal life for a while, but guess it just isn't in the cards for me. Anyone taking Strattera, hope it works for you.

ladyz4real is offline New Member

On 9/7/04, Donwri wrote:
    "... I would like to try Adderal or the other stimulants, but there has been a little alcohol abuse in my distant past and no Dr will let me use them. At 47 I suppose it really doesn't matter if i'm ever treated for the disorder. Would like to have experienced a normal life for a while, but guess it just isn't in the cards for me."

In 1997 I was "diagnosed" with ADD by a psychiatrist to whom I'd been referred by my long-time therapist who was concerned that I was inexplicably and unhappily "stuck" in spite of 5 years+ of committed recovery and hard work in both therapy and 12 Step programs. Although, as a recovering addict, I was extremely reluctant to take the risk of allowing any kind of mood-altering chemical back into my body, there followed a series of treatment attempts with a variety of meds starting with Wellbutrin (which made me nearly suicidal), Zoloft (which only made me clinically depressed), Ritalin (better, but jittery and disconcertingly "speed-y"). Finally, in 1998, the shrink said "There's another medicine called Adderall that's similar to Ritalin but without the side effects". Before getting the scrip filled, I looked it up in one of those drug books and "Oh my God, I can't take that, it's my drug-of-choice!" My Narcotics Anonymous sponsor convinced me to give it a try and worked with me so I wouldn't be doing it totally on my own. I tried it and -- whoa! I discovered what "normal" feels like! (well, sometimes). I've been using Adderall ever since. When the XR formula came out, my doc switched me to that: it's working out better because I don't get space-y and forget to take the PM dose. Over time, working with the doc and my sponsor, we've increased the dose to what feels like it works best for me: two 20 mg tabs in the morning, which I understand is a pretty high dose, esp for a small woman like me. But it seems optimum; it feels like my brain has found the right lens to read the wall chart. Although I'm a recovering addict (and alcohol was another major drug-of-choice) I take the Adderall as directed and haven't abused it or relapsed on it. It hasn't solved all my problems, by any means, but in generally it greatly increases my ability to solve, or at least work on, them myself. I turned 50 this past June and I expect to keep growing and getting better!

ats
    ats is offline New Member

Just came upon your forum while I was looking for info on combining Strattera and Wellbutrin. I've been on Wellbutrin for several months now, found it effective for depression. My Psych and I came to the conclusion that I had Adult ADD (I'm 49). Trying Strattera now. So far (10 days into it) I don't like the stuff. I'm going to give it three weeks to stabilize, I understand it takes some time. My doc is titrating very slowly - eight days on lowest dose (sorry, can't remember the mg's), now two weeks on 25 mg, then a re-eval. I'm on 300 mg of Wellbutrin.

So, what do I mean by not liking the Strattera? As far as the ADD relief, I can clearly see that it is having some good effect. Not dramatic, but more than I'd expect from a placebo effect, and I'm still on a low dose. But the side effects suck. Frequent headaches, insomnia (some nights only 3 or 4 hours of sleep), painful urination and ejaculation, and now I'm feeling more depressed than usual with the increased dose. I'm going to try to talk my doc into switching me to Adderall XR. I'll confess to trying a couple of my daughter's Adderall XR's, and it's like somebody flipped a switch and made me normal again. It's a miracle drug for me. Effective, happy, functioning, don't put off things, don't lose things, don't forget things - I'm seriously considering trying to get it from a mexican pharmacy or something if the doc doesn't agree with me.

I'm worried about combining Strattera and Wellbutrin, having read a few things (including here) about how they interact. Would like to find something to show my doc that he would find legitimate. Any ideas?

Good luck, all!

nitnat is offline New Member

I am a pharmacy tech student and I am still learning but the only way you know for sure that you can cut a pill in half is if it is scored.
    quote:Originally posted by StrwbrryGrL

i am having a hard time with my new insurance and them not accepting pre=exsisting conditions, i dont really understand what that means but i don;t think i can see any of my old doctors....if i want to stop taking the Wellbutrin, should I just cut them in half or take them every other day or anything else? I know from personal experince it is bad to just stop cold turkey.

Dear StrawberryGrl,

You may not appreciate reading this, but it is YOU who is making you act that way---not anything or anyone else. Unless you can work with someone who can get you to see that your actions are your own responsibility, and no one else's, you will NEVER experience recovery. I would leave that idiotic psychiatrist you mentioned lickety-split. If you can see he is an imbecile,(there are LOTS and LOTS of such imbeciles out there, and VERY, VERY FEW good therapists), then by all means FIND SOMEONE ELSE. In fact, I found that the best way to make progress for me was to have a psychiatrist prescribe the drug(s) I thought I needed,(I did NOT need them), and to see a Social Worker,(again, you have to really work hard to find a good one, but there are far more good social workers out there than psychiatrists), for talk therapy.

JOYAWAITSYOU is offline New Member

MY SON WHO IS 7 YEARS OLD IS NOW TAKING STRATTERA (1 CAPSULE DAILY)
    40 MG. HE HAS BEEN ON THE MEDICINE NOW FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND HAS DONE A 80% TURN AROUND FOR THE BETTER. HE WAS FAILING, COULD NOT SIT STILL AND FOCUS IN CLASS. HE WAS VERY HYPER AND IT WAS AFECTING OUR LIFE AT HOME AS WELL AS THE CLASSROOM. WITHIN I WEEK HIS GRADES STARTED TO IMPROVE. HIS CONDUCT WENT FROM BAD TO VERY GOOD. HE DID STOP EATING AS MUCH AND LOST 2 POUNDS THE FIRST MONTH. NOW HE HAS EVENGAINED THIS BACK. HE HAS MAYBE HAD 2 DAYS THAT HE HAS ACTED OUT IN CLASS FOR SOMETHING LIKE PLAYING. HE DOES SEEM TO BE A BIT MORE EMOTIONAL AT TIMES. I TAKEN WELLBUTRIN XL 300MG PER DAY. I HAVE BEEN ON THIS DRUG FOR ABOUT A YEAR OR MORE. I EVEN TOOKM THE OTHER WELLBUTRIN BEFORE THE XL CAME OUT. NOW THIS NEW DR. I WENT TO SEE SAYS FOR ME TO STOP MY WELLBUTRIN AND START TAKING WHAT MY SON TAKES. TWO A DAY FOR ME. EQUALS 80 MG. TAKE ONE IN MORNING, AND THE OTHER AT NIGHT. I CAME OFF THE WELLBUTRIN WITHIN ONE DAY AND NOW THAT I HAVE BEEN ON THIS NEW DRUG I CAN ONLY SAY SO FAR I FEEL WORSE.
    MUST WORK FOR MY SON, BUT AS FOR ME, I FEEL SICK, DEPRESSED, NOT ABLE TO FOCUS,VERY TIRED, WALKING AROUNF AND NOT GETTING MUCH DONE AT HOME, BAD HEADACHES, AND VERY SICK TO MY STOMACH.HAS 4 WEEKS BEEN LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO GIVE IT UP. ALSO IT HAS MADE ME EAT MORE. THANK GOD I AM NOT OVER WEIGHT. I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN, BUT I DO NOT MEAN TO DROP ALOT OF WEIGHT. THIS STRATTERA HAS ALSO MADE ME FEEL FUNNY IN THE HEAD, UNABLE TO MAKE A DECISION CLEARLY AND STICK WITH IT.
    THIS FOR SURE HAS NOT HELPED MY RELATIONSHIPS. I HAVE FELT LIGHTLEADED, BUT I REALLY JUST DO NOT FEELNIT IS DOING ME ANY GOOD THAT I CAN TELL. SO I STOPED IT TODAY AND TOOK MY FIST WELLBUTRIN AGAIN. I DO HOPE I CAN TALK WITH MY REG DR. TO SEE IF HE CAN GIVE ME THE ADDERALL IF HE THINKS I NEED BOTH.
    PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CHAT OR SHARE INFO ABOUT THIS DRUG.
    HAVE A GREAT WEEK & HAPPY HOLIDAYS

JOY GIACCHINA
    MOBILE ALABAMA 36695 JOYAWAITSYOU@AOL.COM

kimik is offline New Member

My 7 year old son has been on 40 mg. Strattera for 2 months. He does not have ADD but is hyperactive. Besides having little appetite and losing weight, he is irritable, unreasonable, and has no tolerance for anything. He is sleeping fine and doesn't seem to have any of the other side effects. Has anyone noticed that side effects are almost worse than the previous behavior? Do the irritability and mood swing side effects pass?
    Thanks,
    Kim

2Bcrazed is offline New Member

I am very concerned about combining Strattera and Wellbutrin but my pdoc says it's fine to do so. He is supposed to be one of the best psychiatrists in our big city. This worries me.

I foolishly tried to go off of Wellbutrin on my own. I was only taking 100mg a day (for about 6 mos). I had no idea what the withdrawal would be like. I've been on the computer all night looking up posts about the "discontinuation symptoms" as the drug companies want to call them. (I've been off it almost a week and a half, I think.)

I was having homocidal feelings just a night ago and it scared me to death. I thought I was truly losing it. Had been seriously suicidal the week before. Turns out both are "discontinuation symptoms" as well as: extreme fatigue, migraine-like headaches, hallucinations, muscle aches, flu-like symptoms. The list goes on and on.

I took a dose of Wellbutrin about an hour ago. I had no idea how serious this drug is. I think doctors should be more adamant in letting their patients know how serious these meds are.

I don't know what to do. The Strattera seemed to be helping my depression. I had read that Strattera was originally made as an anti-depressant but the drug co knew they would make more $ if they marketed it for ADD. I cannot take SSRI's so Strattera is a better choice for me. (I am bipolar.)

I also have ADD. I have a RX for Adderall. The thing is that the 1st day I take it, I feel great but after that, a kind of fatigue sets in that is like none I've ever felt before. It is, after all, an amphetamine. I don't understand why it has that affect on me. I am scared to take it for more than a day or so at a time. So I reserve it for days when I know I have something really important to do.

I am bipolar and also on a "mood stabilizer", Geodon and Klonapin for anxiety.

I wish I knew where to find more info about mixing Wellbutrin and Strattera. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone else's psychiatrist know that you shouldn't mix the two? (Seems only posters on forums like this seem to have that info.)

so_bell is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by mother2

I have a son on strattera and he is now doing wonderful, I do believe the mixed with wellbutrin is a very bad choice and being the the nursing field 27 year I haven't seen it do very many people any good. It is a narcotic that is very addictive and has a HUGE amount of side effects, which you sem to be discribing. Good luck but I would ask my doctor to be taken off the the Wellbutrin.
    Mother2,,,Eventhough you have been in the nursing field for 27 years, I feel that you have been misinformed about Wellbutrin being a narcotic and a highly addictive narcotic at that... or maybe I am the one that is misinformed,,, please correct me if I am wrong.

jAnEsEz is offline New Member

I hope this topic isn't totally dead. A year ago I was doing really well with Strattera. So don't give up so easy people! I take a combo of Strattera and Adderall. I have mild depression and ADD. My depression is characterized by consistent low mood but my impulsive tendancies have been regulated by adderall. So I don't experience the anger except last week I was drunk and punched a hole in my wall and broke plates. But I have just resumed strattera again. I know that we all want meds to be the miracle answer but when I look back on what was happening in my life a year ago my boyfriend was in jail. Not around. And I was losing alot of weight a good thing for me. I quit smoking and I started working out I never felt healthier. I know that's kind of sick and twisted my boyfriend goes to jail and I'm like glowing. But back to the hole in the wall and broken plates, these were a slight reaction to my boyfriend arguing with me about the idea that I needed therapy. I think I do he thinks I don't. He doesn't understand why I can't get my life in order and doesn't want to accept that his actions might be part of my problem. I don't really want to accept that either. Strattera usually needs a few months to work I don't know why. I've had way bad nausea recently but after a month it subsides and it really does help if you take it with food and don't move around alot after you take it. I know this seems impossible in the morning. Recently, and I think it's just the season, I've been having trouble waking up in the morning and have had very strange dreams that occur close to waking up. They are the kind that you want to resolve before you wake up because it's always the same dream in a different guise.I can't describe it besides the overwhelming feeling of anxiety. The last and most important point I'd like to make is that you need to DO, I emphasize DO something to make change. The first step is making the decision that you want to be happy the next is making the healthy lifestyle and relationship choices to get there. Then the happiness that you seek is just up the road. The mistake I made a year ago is when I was finally feeling well I decided that I didn't need medication I cold turkeyed both and crashed hard. I'm kind of a dumdum like that. Happiness is not just a realization it's a state of being. It doesn't just happen by taking some pill and realizing "OH I'M HAPPY" It is valuing yourself enough to want to be happy.

Shifty is offline Member

I know I'm probably butting in too much here, but as an outsider looking into your life, I have certain opinions about your entire situation.

#1: Anyone that tells you that you don't need therapy either doesn't care about you getting better or doesn't want you to get better. (ask yourself why)

#2: If you think your boyfriends actions are hurting your recovery, they are.

#3: As a general rule, don't take mental health advice from somebody who is unable to function in society without being locked up. (of course, if you take my advice, you are listening to a madman who takes anti-depressants)

#4: Why do you need your boyfriend? Your mental health is most likely the biggest obsticle to your happiness and if he isn't supporting you (which he isn't) you will most likely fail. - Have you ever tried to quit smoking while dating a smoker? It's close to impossible. They always wanna smoke and many will taunt you about it.

OK, butting out now that I've stepped way over the line. You may hate me now, but these are my honest opinions.

My son takes Straterra and his grades and behavior have improved. His appetite is improving and I think it's good for him right now. I always wonder if it's better to experience life as you were born and suffer greatly, or go through life with "Strattera Goggles" but be successful and happy. I decided to go with the drug, but I never stop second-guessing myself.

I too tried to quit meds cold-turkey and excercise and was feeling better for 6 whole months! Then I crashed like a freight-train with a Major Depressive Episode.

Good luck Jan, I'm here for you if you need me,
    Shifty

---
    New signature: I just switched from Paxil CR 20mg to Lexapro 10mg cold turkey.
    Day 1: 12/01/05 Flying high!
    Day 4: 12/04/05 I'm feeling like Lexapro is working better than Paxil with less side effects for me. My delayed orgasms went away, which is strange. It usually takes a week off of Paxil for a recovery like this.

---

I am currently taking 20mg of Paroxitine HCL (Paxil). I have tried 25mg CR, 20mg, and 40mg.

My side effects are delayed orgasm and lack of motivation.

The Paxil seems to cure my anxiety in low stress situations, but makes it worse in high-stress situations.

The side effects on the 40mg were more intense. In addition to the above listed side-effects, I got minor headaches and a much more sedated feeling with no additional benefits.

Ask me anything, I would love to help you with my experiences.

Shifty

Thanks for your honest opinion Shifty.

I'm going on three years with him. He's a good guy he's just too present at the moment and I know relationships in and of themselves require some difficulty to maintain. Mostly I think he would like to see me happy but he doesn't want to change or modify himself in that equation.

But I'm the same way. I'm in college he works construction. I know he would like me to make him a hot meal or clean my house so he can be more comfortable but I have tons of goals. I've got 30 credits left and then what? I'm not going to settle. I gotta persue my goals.

Do you ever feel overperceptive?

Is it hard for you to make friends because you try to percieve other people's perceptions of you too much. Is that just paranoia?

So do you think putting your child on medication will help him in the long run? I think if you see an improvement in overall wellness it's gotta be a good thing. As long as he's not like a zombie or a machine or has trouble being himself. Does he have ADD? You said you wonder if it's better to experience life as you were born and suffer greatly.
    I wonder that too but how much would you actually suffer. I know the ADD thing is genetic. My mom's got it bad but she's so focused on the things that she enjoys. Otherwise she's pretty introverted and seems pretty moody.

So I'm an artist or Graphic Designer unoffically or whatever and I can focus pretty good on that. Unfortunately I've been labled a "talent" by one of my professors and many of my classmates. I decided that my ADD was my curse but my blessing as well. So Maybe if I had just been more encouraged to persue the things I did well when I was younger then I would be right where I'm at today only with out the meds. Anyways I think maybe I was just meant to be a crazy artist because I'm pretty sure ADD is like an Art thing for me. I think ADD is a sensory disorder in a way because you are oversensitive to different stimulus but when you can differentiate the stimulus and work with it like a musician works with sound it's gotta be a good thing.

Shifty is offline Member

All I can say is "wow". This is probably the most stimulating and intelligent conversation I've had in years.

I'm glad you are finishing up your college, I never did and I regret it every day of my life. I started fathering children at the age of 17, so college has been an "on again off again" thing for me.

Yes, definately on the overperceptive thing. I am always worrying about how people perceive me to the point of not wanting to leave the house. It's rare for me to make a friend that's not an internet buddy. All of my real life friends (and family) became drug abusers and I had to get away from them. I feel like the only sober person in the world sometimes. It's lonely to be this way, although I'd probably be in the gutter somewhere holding people up for crack-money if I had gone with the flow.

About my kid, its the kinda thing that keeps me up at night worrying. He has been diagnosed with ADD, although I wonder if it's really GAD or if there is some kind of connection there.

When I think about the suffering vs. drugging issue, I try to draw from my own experiences as a child. I had a problem socializing and focusing as a child, very much like my son does. I would not listen to people or respect them (because of all the noise in my head going 1000 miles per hour) and it resulted in people disliking me (for good reason). I was always introverted and very smart, so when my parents took me to the psych, I psyched the psych into thinking there was nothing wrong with me.

I didn't only suffer though. I spent so much time thinking that I learned amazing things. My hyperactive brain soaked up technical information like a sponge and now I'm a computer genius. I'm an unusual and unique person now, which is good... I'm just not as happy as I would have been had I got good grades in school and became the person I feel I was meant to be. I would've liked to enjoy my high school experience more. It was the best time of my life, but I was too busy rushing through it to really enjoy it.

And now here I am full-circle trying to get the anti-depressants I should have gotten when I was 9 at the age of 30. I don't want my son to regret his life like I do. Looking back, if I had the patience to do things right, I could have been great. I hope I still can this late in life.

I now accept that I have a chemical imbalance that will never go away. If I treat it with the meds my psych prescribes, I may be able to accomplish the goals I have in life. (late is better than never)

As far as the tortured artist thing goes, I agree that thinking different can create beautiful and unique things. This is one of the arguments against putting my son on Strattera. I try to encourage him to pursue his musical affinity. If the straterra hurts that, it will sadden me, but his happiness is more important to me than his creativity level. It's a terrible decision to have to make, but somebody has to, and I'm the man. I don't make it lightly, nor do I stop re-evaluating it for a second.

What type of graphic design stuff do you do?

---
    Day 4: 12/04/05 I'm feeling like Lexapro is working better than Paxil with less side effects for me. My delayed orgasms went away, which is strange. It usually takes a week off of Paxil for a recovery like this.

---

I am currently taking 20mg of Paroxitine HCL (Paxil). I have tried 25mg CR, 20mg, and 40mg.

The Paxil seems to cure my anxiety in low stress situations, but makes it worse in high-stress situations.

The side effects on the 40mg were more intense. In addition to the above listed side-effects, I got minor headaches and a much more sedated feeling with no additional benefits.

Shifty

Shifty,
    My final project in one of my classes is to illustrate an idea about an article generated by popular news media (NY Times). So I used this opportunity to try to represent how mental illness is given a negative stereotypes. And how in the media you are constantly reading about how people abuse medications prescribed for mental illness. I.E. the front page of this site, college kids and ritalin. But you never see the TRUE facts about what mental illness is. Nor are we reaching to the heart of the problem with psychiatric treatment. It's not holistic at all. Instead of suggesting a change in our behavior or environment a psychiatrist will give you a pill. They treat your mind like a mechanism. And this is probably why more and more people are having problems with medications.

Shifty is offline Member

I find that the problem does start with the doctors. They would be more receptive to "I want some crack prescribed" than "I feel bad". You see, doctors don't really care how you feel. They can't quantify it and it bores them. When I try to discuss it with doctors, they look around, shuffle their feet, and usually try to change the subject.

I don't know how to solve the problem, I just wish I had the emotional stability to go to school and become a doc so I could change things one patient at a time.

I feel like a psych office ran by crazy people would be better than an office run by people who don't care. Seriously.

---
    Day 9: I think I was "premature" with the delayed ejaculation news. It's still delayed. I must have been on a sexual peak or something. I've been experiencing the normal ravenous appetite usually experienced with Paxil withdrawal.

---

Shifty

nitort is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mudwitch View Post
    I was diagnosed with ADD about 4 years ago and was put on adderall. My son has been on ritalin and more recently adderall for 10 years. My doctor decided to put me on strattera! That drug is a joke. It didn't do anything for add. However, I thought it was just me, so I got my son to take them for a couple of days - his reply "Mom those things ain't nothing" and went back to his adderall. I had to find another doctor to get back on adderall, they help me with the add so good! Its like a miracle drug - all those years of growing up thinking that I must be some kind of freak, then taking that little pill and realizing that I wasn't a freak after all - the feeling is too good to put into words! You 1st need to find another doctor and 2nd throw out the strattera and get adderall, the wonder drug!

Both you and your son were on stimulants which take a very short time (around 30 min. if correctly dosed) to act. Strattera has a sustained effect and works differently - it takes at least two weeks to begin to take effect and a full month before it reaches a level which begins to fully treat ADD (and I say begins, because that dosage is messed with at that point in order to make it effective for each individual patient). Taking Strattera for a few days, or even weeks - will definitely not compete with the quick effects of ritalin/adderall. It would require commitment and patience (which we know is lacking in us with ADD), which is actually far easier to adjust to when you have not taken stimulants prior. Most doctors don't even try Strattera with patients because a large chunk of those patients are already aware of the near-instant effects of amphetamines (adderall) and cannot fathom taking something they must wait a month to feel the effects of.

I'm on strattera now because I did not like the idea of staying on adderall (especially the lows after the dosage wears off), or the fact that as a stimulant, the dosage required to have the same effect would continue to climb (and as a med student, that's an expense I can't bear to take on). It's an adjustment, initially, but worth the wait, for sure.

skbeany is offline New Member

I Took Strattera 1 Time. The First Dose Made Me Feel So Weird. I Threw The Whole Bottle In The Trash Thats How Bad I Felt.then About A Month Later A Friend Of Mine Told Me Her 11year Old Cousin Hung Himself. She Said The Dr. Had Just Switched Him From Adderall To Strattera. I Would Never Recommend Anyone To Take That.

sarahbellum is offline New Member

Angry My doctor is trying to kill me apparently.

I went on Wellbutrin in January and started Strattera about a month ago. The Strattera hasn't done anything for me, but my doctor told me that it could take months to start seeing the effects. When I first went on Wellbutrin, I had emotional break-downs left and right and very seriously considered suicide. Well now that phase is done with and Wellbutrin has been serving me well... until my doctor added Strattera to the order. I did not sleep last night. I laid down for a nap about two hours ago and was not able to fall asleep despite how exhausted I was. The insomnia is just the start of it:
    I can feel my pulse in every part of my body at all times.
    I am constantly tremoring all over.
    I twitch and have spasms too frequently.
    My eyes feel like they're rolling around in my head and their tracking seems to be really screwed up, to the point where reading has become an even greater challenge than it was before.
    Oh and my doctor failed to mention in prescribing the Wellbutrin to me that if you take the two daily doses within less than six hours of each other, you run the risk of seizing.
    I tried Strattera last year and didn't see any effects so I stopped taking it. My grades started suffering so I decided I needed to get back on some ADHD medication. I went to my doctor and she refused me anything other than Strattera because everything else is a narcotic. Well isn't that just convenient. How am I suppose to treat my ADHD when the only drug I can take is bogus and conflicts with my other medication?
    Great. I guess I'm gonna find a new doctor.
    Last edited by sarahbellum; 05-04-2009 at 03:08 PM.

zandragirl is offline New Member

Unhappy had ADHD my hole life finally got back on my meds had to move now i might lose itall

Because of my ADHD i wound up in a corupt state run facility...they didnt even bother to diagnose anybody we were automatically labled "Bi-Polor" and givin depakote and seriquil in massive doses 2000mg a day of seriquil. I gained 160lbs in less than a year and havent been able to lose it. So for years I had to fight the CA state health board that I wasnt bi polor. I sort of had a hollow victory when my gp perscribed me adderall for the 1st time in years. It took me 8yrs to find a dr to trust me...he even knew about a brief experimentation with pot...he didnt classify that as a drug history its more of a loaded question then anything...to quote Oscar Wilde "there are no esoteric questions only esoteric answers" anyway...The 2 years I have been on the PROPER meds i have moved 1000miles away to a town ive wanted to live in for years finally started my art work again and ive actually been able to finish a book...but im about to lose it all no Dr up here wants to put me on adderall because I have a "history" I was told that an arrest at 19 can diqualify me and i would be considered "high risk" it was for underage drinking not meth abuse and the bi polor notes in my file have croped up...i am not bi polar but I am scared that im going to have to go through anouther 8yrs of this to be properly medicated here on the oregon coast if anyone knows anything that can help me im frightend to go back to the way things were
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-18-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Theros is offline New Member

i took strattera at one point, i couldn't stand it! it made me feel way too even. The sun could have fallen out of the sky, and it might have gotten a shrug of the shoulders. It made everything dreamlike, blegh! i'll never do it again.

circahasfallen is offline New Member

I'm 14 and I've been taking Strattera for about 6 months now. I have bad headaches 24/7 and some nausea. I'm only on 25 mg in the morning and 15 at night! I reacted badly to stimulants, but I am thinking of seeing a different doctor and asking to be tried on Adderall as I've heard such amazing things about it. I was getting pretty bad grades last year but since I've started it I've been getting almost straight A's (as I used to get) but I think that has to do a lot with me and not Strattera. It does help me calm down and not jump off the walls, I just can't stand these side effects anymore. Probably don't recommend Strattera to anyone unless the stimulants have ill-effects on you.
    EDIT: About the above reply, for me at times it most definitely makes you feel even and dreamy. If that's something your looking for then by all means it's a fine drug.
    Last edited by circahasfallen; 12-20-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast