Steroid Pack?
    nobby02 is online now Member

Default Steroid Pack?

First two weeks of my L5/L4 disectomy were great, the stiffness was gone I could feel my feet and was walking not shuffling. Now it is back to pain at night and now during the day. I know something has happened because for those two weeks I was able to turn and move in bed at night with ease and the last three nights it is back to having to steady myself and know the pain is coming should I need to change position during the night. I have been called in a steroid pack and I have no idea what that is. Can someone explain what this is and what it is used for (all I know it that is an anti inflammotory) but why is he doing this, what is the expected out come etc. Drawing on those here that have more info and have maybe been through this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

They could possibly be putting you on a declining dose of prednisone for the inflammation. They would start you out on a higher dose, perhaps 60mg or so and then reduce it by about 10mg or so every 5-7 days. There are other things like cortisone they could be using but prednisone would be my guess. It's often used on a temporary basis like I described for a short time when a person is suffering from lots of inflammation. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Yes, the med assistant is calling it in to the pharmacy and it is ready. So until I pick it I won't know exactly what is is. The medical community is really starting to annoy me, I try to ask the questions but they all seem to be in such a hurry that I just say ok. I believe she told me it was a 6 day pack. So the outcome is to eliminate the inflammation..then what?? I should have no pain forever???

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The goal will be to eliminate most of inflammation. Then you'll be able to better determine your pain level without the inflammation making it worse. It's worth a shot! I have had to take steroids a lot over the years with my Rheumatoid Arthritis and as long as you don't get on them regularly they can help you. Longterm use is a nightmare however. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Ok thanks, so I will be seeing the neuro next wed. So the point is to reduce the inflammation to see my pain level at that point. Great thanks Robert325. It wouldn't have hurt the girl to tell me that because I wasn't sure what the ultimate goal was.