Should I take Lexapro ?
    elli244 is offline New Member

Default Should I take Lexapro ?

Hi,

I am new here, I did a bit of a search but there seemed to be a lot of threads on Lexapro. My doctor has given me Lexapro to try, I havent started it yet though I am very concerned about getting side effects. Not only that I am worried that when I decide to stop taking it in the future I am going to struggle to come off it. I can't afford to have these problems because I have to go to work and I don't really want my manager to know what is going on for various reasons.
    The reason she put me on it is because I have been really tired lately and she believes it is connected to depression. I have had depression for quite a long time but never relised it wasn't normal. It's only now that I am really struggling with it mainly because of the tiredness. I am also hoping it will help with anxiety, which is not a huge issue for me but when it does seem to come up it's horrible. The doctor said I could try natural remedies such as St Johns Wart but she would prefer I go on a anti depressant, obviously because my depression is worse then I actually think it is.
    Lately I cry a lot and get anxious about things that might not even happen, I feel its a struggle to go to work and I can't concentrate and I am very irriatable. If something upsets me I feel like I go totally get out of control and start getting angry about everything and everyone. I am afraid I will lose my job and my bf if I don't do anything but I am worried about side effects from taking an anti dep. The thought of taking them is just making everything a lot worse.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    TIA

Anonymous Guest

Thumbs down Well......

If this were me...I would not take the Lexapro. These drugs seem to do more harm than good. There are so many side effects of these drugs its hard to keep track. Some of them are anxiety,weight gain,suicidal thoughts. The list goes on and on. It does sound like you might need a little help however so I recommend you try the St Johns Wort. Its has helped some people with mild to moderate depression. Also maybe if you can just see a therapist just to talk it would probably help. Talking stuff out is probably the best therapy of all. Exercise and sunlight will also be beneficial. Just be careful in the future with antidepressants. I wish the best....krissy

devynsmommy is offline New Member

I agree with Krissy on this one. I am just now coming off of 10mg of Lex after a year of being on it. First, the first month or so of being on it, you feel like you're dying. It's horrible! Second, once you're on it, the weight gain is rapid and you cannot take it off. Third, your sex drive goes. Fourth, you dont feel in control of yourself and like you're walking in a fog most of the time. Yeah, these things are not good. If you need help, see a therapist and just TALK. Seriously, its the best thing for you. And, make sure to take a multivitamin every day, get lots of omega3, rest, and drink plenty of good water... That's really been the best thing for me. Also, for your anxiety, try yoga and meditation. it really does work. Psychotrophic drugs are being handed out like crazy these days. Really think about this before you put those things in your body... And, yes, comin off of them is horrible and makes you feel like you are walking through the gates of hell... Really do your research before puttin this in your body and weigh it out for yourself...
    Erica

selfmedicating is offline New Member

Hi. I'd take the lexapro. I'm a pharmacy student so I've spent several years studying these drugs, and I just wanted to say that serious side effects are very rare. It's been a real education for me to read about people's experiences on this forum - but be aware that these bad withdrawl experiences and side effects are NOT what the vast majority of people experience.

When deciding to take anything, it's a risk-benefit analysis. If you do take the drug then, yes, you run a risk of an adverse effect. But if you don't take the drug, you run a very large risk of staying depressed. That is a heavy price to pay. As a person who's struggled with depression my whole life I know.

People vary a lot in their response to antidepressants. If it does make you feel "foggy," or you lose your sex drive, you can just taper off the drug as slowly as you want to.

Also remember that the best therapy is drugs plus talk therapy and exercise. Depression is like a hole that you fall into. Sometimes we need the medication to pull us up out of that black hole enough to do the other things - make the therapist appointment, take a brisk walk, etc. That is what I needed.

devynsmommy is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by selfmedicating View Post
    Also remember that the best therapy is drugs plus talk therapy and exercise. Depression is like a hole that you fall into. Sometimes we need the medication to pull us up out of that black hole enough to do the other things - make the therapist appointment, take a brisk walk, etc. That is what I needed.
    Very well said. This is what helped me get through my therapy sessions and actually try to make my life better. A year later and I've gone off my 10mg original dosage and said goodbye to the AD bottle. IF you decide to take the pills, I definitely suggest extensive talk therapy for at least 2 months, followed by continuing talk therapy at least once every week or so, depending on how often you need it... And, try to get a therapist who will see you or speak with you when you really really need it (in case of emergency). Both my regular doctor and therapist gave me after hours numbers to reach them at in case of an ER. Also, they put their numbers on file at the local hospitals "just in case". The other thing that helped was my friends pulling me out of the house to do fun things (dancing, dinners out, movies, whatever)... You have to turn to the people who love and care about you at this time. They are your strongest "drug"! Good luck to you. Keep us posted

elli244 is offline New Member

Thank you everyone for that advice.
    I have decided against taking them for the time been. I am going to try some natrual alternatives to start with such as St Johns Wart (If anyone can recommend any others that would be great). I am going to see a psychiatrist as well. I will only be taking the Lexapro as a last resort.

Anonymous Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by elli244 View Post
    Thank you everyone for that advice.
    I have decided against taking them for the time been. I am going to try some natrual alternatives to start with such as St Johns Wart (If anyone can recommend any others that would be great). I am going to see a psychiatrist as well. I will only be taking the Lexapro as a last resort.
    Good for you! Thats really the way it should be. I'm not against A/D's. I just think that other things should be tried first. Sometimes all it takes is a helping hand to get you outta the dumps. Some of these DR's will prescribe it if you shed a tear in their presence. They are not always the answer to lifes little problems. Good luck to you and check back with us.

Krissy

tlk3j is offline New Member

Hi,

It depends on what kind of depression you are in. I was given Lexapro for an ongoing, severe depression. If only a "brisk walk" could do the trick! Lexapro was not right for me. It wound me up to much. After a few weeks I was bouncing off the walls and very irritable. Other than that, I didnt have any of the horrible side effects mentioned above. I took it for about 4 months. I stopped taking it cold turkey with no problems . Turns out that Lexapro helped my doctor diagnose my condition as bipolar and gave me appropriate meds (remeron and lamactil). I have never been more stable. Do whatever it takes to stop suffering and have a peaceful and meaningful life. Its worth it.

Hi,

TIA
    Last edited by tlk3j; 06-24-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Coppergirl is offline New Member

I have had no problems with Lexapro whatsoever. I actually lost 5 lbs when I started taking it. I actually went off of it once - had no withdrawals at all.
    I think different meds effect people differently. I am in the small percentage of people who had a horrible experience with Wellbutrin. All I wanted to do was cry. If someone said "how are you", I'd get a big lump in my throat. I switched to Lexapro and felt normal again.

gloveman is offline New Member

I've been on Lexapro for about 90 days, 10 mg per day. My internist prescribed it because I was on the verge of getting inflammatory bowel disease because of all the stress in my life, especially my wife's serious health problems and a 6' 2" tall 20 year old son who is very difficult.
    The Lexapro is working for me. Sure there maybe lots of side effects. I gained a few pounds, but I am successfully working very hard not to gain any more.
    My digestive system has settled down and is on the mend.
    Side effects from taking Lexapro go away eventually, but IBD is forever.
    Depression and anxiety also could last for very long periods of time, but side effects from Lexapro go away eventually.
    Some one is another thread said NEVER take Lexapro prescribed by an internist, but it seems to be working for me.

realitedious is offline New Member

Default the good and the bad

As someone who took lexapro for 2 1/2 years I will tell you that I had a very positive experience with the lexapro. You have to weigh your options. So I will tell you that there is a possibility of weight gain and sexual side effects. On the other hand, the depression and the anxiety could go away completely, like it did for me. I was sooo grateful that the medication was working and that I saw a perspective other than the deep depression I had known for so long that the side effects were not a problem for me. So would you rather get rid of the depression at the cost of some weight (i gained 15 lbs. over two years) and not feeling like having sex that often? Are you involved with someone to the point were that would be problematic? As far as when you want to get off it, a gradual weaning can help lessen the chance that you will experience harsh side effects.
    There are a lot of options when it comes to antidepressents but you also have the anxiety to worry about and these issues are affecting your life. You are taking a positive step going on medication. Remember each person is different and lexapro could be the medication you are looking for. It has many good attributes, which is why it is still prescribed. If you are worried about side effects please address these issues with your doctor. Most medicines will have side effects or at least the chance of side effects. You have to figure out which ones you could live with comfortably.

chsguy88 is offline New Member

Default Love Lexapro

I've been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now, and i can tell you, it's worked wonders. Its one thing if your slightly upset, and going on a walk or getting some exercise would help... its another thing when you have absolutely no motivation to do anything, going on a walk is the last thing thats on your mind. I was also on adderall at the time, which was awesome for my concentration, but i really cried constantly. About a week after my treatment with lexapro, my whole mentality changed... and pretty much all of my friends noticed the positive changes. I went to a liscensed psychiatrist and got my diagnosis, which she said would need to be solved with medication. As far as side effects go, i expierenced sexual side effects early on, which diminished within a few weeks (2-3) and now the only one i really struggle with is constipation, which my Dr. said is probally contributed to a lack of fiber. She told me lexapro is one of the fastest acting, as well as most selective SSRI's, and has the least amount of side effects. She also said if a side effect does occur, its normally not as bad or as long lasting as other meds. In my opinion, Lexapro brought back the 'old me' and not the recently 'depressed/not motivated/lay in bed all day crying' me.

And one more thing... with depression you have to figure out what chemical level is low in the brain, as well as what medication works for you. this could be a long haul, but once you find the right medication you will wonder how you lived without it. The 3 main chemicals in the brain commonly affecting depression are Serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Lexapro affects strictly the selective reuptake inhabition of seritonin (commonly known as an SSRI's), medications like Cymbalta and Effexor affect the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin (commonly known as SNRI's), and there are other medications that affect dopamine, for example Wellbutrin affects norepinephrine and dopamine, but not serotonin. If one medication has terrible side effects for you personally, dont give up on all antidepressants, just switch to another one. This is why everyone expierencing depression bad enough to affect their daily life, IN MY OPINION, needs to go to an expierenced psychiatrist, and not just a family doctor. Psychiatrists hear people's problems all day, as well as how other patients with similiar problems responded to medications, which ones they responded negatively to, etc. It may take going through 1 or 2 medications that you had a terrible time with to find the correct one, but remember, they are there to help you. If the side effects were THAT bad, the FDA wouldn't approve them for use in treatment. Just go to the psych, tell them the absolute truth and how your symptoms affect your daily life, and she should know exactally what to put you on. Goodluck trying to feel 'normal' again, and if this means anything... once you find the right medication, you will hug your psychiatrist around the neck bc it really makes the biggest difference in the world! feel free to email me with any questions or whatnot (chsguy88@yahoo.com)
    Last edited by chsguy88; 08-01-2007 at 03:10 PM.

celestial is offline New Member

Ellie.....the symptoms you are describing is what brought me to use paxil and then lexapro which I am currently weaning off of.

I can't tell you or anyone else not to take Lexapro. We don't live in each other's skin. I will say this. If you do decide to take medication please take the smallest dose possible. For lexapro it would be 10mgs. If you don't feel right, trust yor instincts and stop it.

Are you ding any type of therapy to help you sort thru these feelings?
    Don't let them frighten you, let them guide you. Try and understand where they are coming from so you can address them.

Weaning from lexapro is not easy. Paxil, zoloft and especially effexor and cymbalta are very bad. You can go to a website crazymeds.com and research lexapro and any other antidepressant on that site.

Hope this helps.........

llamakiss is offline New Member

Default lexapro, lexapro

El - I had my Lexapro prescription for five months before I started taking it. I felt just like you do. I started on 10mg about 4 weeks ago... The fatigue and crying spells were awful, and I couldn't seem to get anything done. I decided that I had to do something, and even though I was afraid to take this drug, I was in such a bad place emotionally that I was willing to take the risk. I am glad I did... It has really helped with the fatigue so far, and I haven't been crying like that. I am still not 100% though.. I am going up to 20mg to see if it helps with my motivation, etc. But the difference between now and four weeks ago is HUGE. I recommend that if you don't get the benefits you want from the St. John's Wort, you try to keep an open mind about Lexapro. It's just not worth the suffering of depression.

Also, if you are really wanting a natural approach, I have heard great things about SAM-e. In clinical trials, it has been proven more effective than St. John's Wort. My Psychiatrist recommended it to me once, but it was too expensive for me because it's not covered my insurance or anything. But anyway, it's worth looking into and has a lot of science behind it.

Good luck to you!

SPRUITTDELEO is offline New Member

Smile

Hi, This is my first time on this site. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression off and on for ten years now. I dont like taking "crazy pills" since i thought that only crazy people needed to take these(no offense).

I tried natural remedies and even bought Lucinda Bassets depression and anxiety tapes. Sure it sorta kinda helped but when you have a chemical imbalance, it's not just going to go away without treatment.

I was having anxiety everyday. I worried about everything including my job, family and my relationship with my fiance. I finally talked to my dr and she put me on Paxil 20mg. I took that for 5 wks. The anxiety stopped but all i wanted to do was sleep. I felt like a zombie.

I went back to my dr. and explained that Paxil helped but i felt too tired and i gained 5 pounds from sleeping and sitting around she switched me to Lexapro. I have been on this for about a week now.I could tell a huge difference on the 2nd day. I feel so much better. I fianally feel like the old me.
    I had no side effects switching from Paxil to Lexapro. I have not had any side effects since i've been on Lexapro excepted i woke up sweating in the middle of the night on the second night. That hasnt happened again.

I was scared to take medicine at first but i think that is part of having depression and anxiety.I am realizing that for years i have missed out on acutually living my life instead of existing in my old one. I alway second guessed myself and seemed needy. I stayed in bad relationships because arguing caused anxiety and anxiety was scary.

I am not cured and i still have a long road ahead of me. I feel like i have the power within myself to pick up and be the mother that my children need. I dont yell all the time and we actually are starting to have fun. I certainly need to "mop up" some messes in my personal life that now im certain was the reason for alot of the anxiety. It was strange because before i got help, i didnt even know i had a problem with depression.

Depression is a disease that has to be treated with medication. I hope this helps anyone suffering the way i was. Good luck to all.
    Last edited by SPRUITTDELEO; 09-18-2007 at 11:55 AM.

depr-anxsufferer24 is offline New Member

Default This is in response to Coppergirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coppergirl View Post
    I have had no problems with Lexapro whatsoever. I actually lost 5 lbs when I started taking it. I actually went off of it once - had no withdrawals at all.
    I think different meds effect people differently. I am in the small percentage of people who had a horrible experience with Wellbutrin. All I wanted to do was cry. If someone said "how are you", I'd get a big lump in my throat. I switched to Lexapro and felt normal again.
    I had the same experience as you with Wellbutrin!! I had been taking lexapro, with my only complaint being lethargy/sleeping too much for two years, then decided to try something else. The week and a half I was on Wellbutrin was the worst in my entire life. I cried three times a day, I flew off the handle for no reason, I was a complete basket case and felt absolutely nuts. I begged to go back on Lexapro, but now I am having the same problem with "too much sleeping." I want to try something new but I am petrified after the Wellbutrin experience...any suggestions?

Miles is offline Member

There is now evidence SSRI antidepressants such as Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft cause brain damage: In his book Prozac Backlash, published in 2000, Joseph Glenmullen, M.D., clinical instructor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, says: "In recent years, the danger of long-term side effects has emerged in association with Prozac-type drugs, making it imperative to minimize one's exposure to them. Neurological disorders including disfiguring facial and whole body tics, indicating potential brain damage, are an increasing concern with patients on the drugs. ... With related drugs targeting serotonin, there is evidence that they may effect a 'chemical lobotomy' by destroying the nerve endings that they target in the brain." He compares brain damage that seems to be caused by SSRI antidepressants (including but not limited to Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft) to that caused by neuroleptic/major tranquilizer drugs like Thorazine, Prolixin, and Haldol. He presents evidence that the so-called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are not selective for serotonin but affect other chemicals in the brain, including dopamine.

Don't trust the shrinks! They are killing you! Say NO to psychiatry!

Hi,

I am new here, I did a bit of a search but there seemed to be a lot of threads on Lexapro. My doctor has given me Lexapro to try, I havent started it yet though I am very concerned about getting side effects. Not only that I am worried that when I decide to stop taking it in the future I am going to struggle to come off it. I can't afford to have these problems because I have to go to work and I don't really want my manager to know what is going on for various reasons.
    The reason she put me on it is because I have been really tired lately and she believes it is connected to depression. I have had depression for quite a long time but never relised it wasn't normal. It's only now that I am really struggling with it mainly because of the tiredness. I am also hoping it will help with anxiety, which is not a huge issue for me but when it does seem to come up it's horrible. The doctor said I could try natural remedies such as St Johns Wart but she would prefer I go on a anti depressant, obviously because my depression is worse then I actually think it is.
    Lately I cry a lot and get anxious about things that might not even happen, I feel its a struggle to go to work and I can't concentrate and I am very irriatable. If something upsets me I feel like I go totally get out of control and start getting angry about everything and everyone. I am afraid I will lose my job and my bf if I don't do anything but I am worried about side effects from taking an anti dep. The thought of taking them is just making everything a lot worse.
    TIA
    Hi Eli244 ,
    unfortunately I can't help you with your questions because i am having the same delema about going on Lexapro . I put a post on another thread about Lexapro in this site but I havn't got an answer yet . I am also concerned about the side affects and withdrawal symptoms if i need to come off of it . & i also don't want to look ridiculous at work if i am having the withdrawal symptoms . There are other antidepresants out there . I was on Wellbutrin for years without a problem untill recently it has been making me manic and causing a lot of anxiety attacks & i have been having trouble sleeping .
    untill recently i havn't experienced side affects from the wellbutrin . ( if you have epilepsy or a seizure disorder you can't take it though ) But the wellbutrin doesn't have the sexual side affects & doesn't cause weight gain .
    You could talk to your doctor about your concern & ask if there is another med you could go on . I think an antidepresant would be a good idea for you , it sounds like you could use some releif , It is not fair that you are suffering . With the wellbutin i only occasionally get depressed , i know that i need to be on something for it . I think the reason my doc wants me on Lexapro is because it works for depresion and anxiety . my doc wants me to go on Buspar for my anxiety as well which is a whole other issue for me .
    I hope this has been some help . Good luck ! Be well!

kittyigloo is offline New Member

Default Should I take Lexapro

I can't tell you to take or not take Lexapro. What I can suggest is the name of a website that will keep you updated on safety information, interactions, and side effects related to the meds you are taking. This service is called iGuard. It is a great tool. www.iGuard.ORG

antoan.smith is offline New Member

Talking :)

Lexapro comes as a tablet and a liquid taken it orally. It is usually taken once daily and may be taken with or without food. Take Lexapro exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Continue to take Lexapro even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Lexapro without talking to your doctor. This drug must be taken regularly for a few weeks before its full effect is felt.

workingitout is offline New Member

Default for what it's worth

Everyone reacts differently to all meds. I have just stopped Lexapro and while it was hard to get off of, for the first year that I took it it helped me with my problems (anxiety and mild depression), I feel better having taken them. Some people have very bad experiences with very different meds. I have tried several in succession the first time I needed them and settled with Prozac for a few months until I felt better.
    When a DR presrcribes a med to you, they are not trying to hurt you. It may seem like an easy fix at the time but I know I fought going on meds after I had my baby long enough that I wound up in bed and unable to get up to take care of my kids...I needed help in a medical form, not a walk, talk or movie with a friend.
    I can not tell you to take or not take Lexapro. It worked for me until it just didn't. I became very Blah for lack of a better term and knew it was time to get off. In the past I have not had to wean off of any of the other meds that I was taking, I did wean off of Lexapro because I listened to what my body was telling me. When it was out of my system I had a hard week, yes, it sucked...but I am better NOW and I got through the rough year that I needed to. Would I ever take it again? I don't know probably not but I will need something else and I will have to go through the trial and error again. I am 8 years older than when I first started taking the meds so my body has also changed, who knows which one will work. I am leery of trying a new med only because I know they all make you react differently. For example, everyone in my immediate family and many close friends can take the z-pack (zithromax) two doses into my pack I was vomitting uncontrollably and had to be admitted to the hospital...that I will NEVER take again.
    Please consider taking something if you need it, you went to the doctor for a reason, listen to what you need not what others say...and most people who are happy with something will not do a search online just to say 'yeah, it's great!' They are searching because something did not seem right or work well which is how I ended up here, I was having a hard time getting off of the Lexapro
    Have you tried any other SSRI's? Maybe something more mild will help you more. Celexa is a milder form of Lexapro with a less lokely withdrawl reaction. You do need to stop these meds slowly no matter which one you take. Lexapro (stopped helping/made me very sleept), Zoloft (made me hyper) and Paxil (made me too sleepy) all have 'withdrawl symptoms' as do SNRI"S Effexor and Cymalta. Know that going in but don't make your decision based on some one elses experiences, take it under advisement and do more research and remember to take something if you need it! My babies lost 6 months of time with their mommy because I was so depressed and I refused to take anything for it. I was there but not 'there'. At that time SSRI's saved my life, marriage and sanity. I took Prozac for 8 months (not crazy about the sexual side effects) so I tried Wellbutrin which I did not do well on (manic, crying mess) and Celexa (gained 29 lbs in 4 weeks) quit cold turkey, no withdrawl. That process took approx. 1 year. 2 years later I began Prozac again 10 mg a day and took it for several months until I found out that I was pregnant I stopped immediately, no withdrawl.
    The only reason I treid lexapro when I started having minor anxiety attacks was because a couple of my friends were on it and they liked it. They are still taking it and still like it. None of us was told of how hard it might be to quit though.
    I will likely need to try something else, I don't know what or when. For now I am getting my mind and body back to 'normal' but the anxiety and irritability that drove me to the meds is still there, controlled at this point but there none the less. The differnce now is I know these meds worked for me before when I really needed them and I will try them again if I get to that point. I WILL INFORM MYSELF BETTER IF I START.
    I urge you to remember that everyone reacts differently to different things ie. some people can not tollerate caffiene some need it to get through the day, some can not tollerate alcohol, some can have a glass of wine with dinner daily and it does not affect thier lives in the least. Listen to your body, if exercise and vitamins help, that is absolutely wonderful! If not, know that unfortunately, with this med class especially, it may be that trial and error is the only way you will know if this stuff helps.
    My best wishes and feel free to contact me anytime.
    J

Kaddie is offline New Member

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I have benefited from Lexapro. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for decades. I have also spent endless money on talk therapy. I began taking Lexapro five weeks ago and I have never had this much emotional clarity in my life. I have absolutely no side effects at all. I resisted all medicine because I believed I just had not done enough to feel good. Now I feel free. Finally. Good luck.

frantic mom is offline Junior Member

Default Effexor or Lexapro?

I have been encouraged to take Lexapro or Effexor by my primary doc for depression and anxiety which I feel is from trying to wean off of valium. Would this help me with the weaning process off of the benzo or just make it worse? It seems to me I should handle one problem at a time, but maybe I am not thinking straight right now. I am just afraid of MORE side effects and MORE problems coming off of something else down the road. Any suggestions? I'm miserable!

malaunrouge69 is offline New Member

FOR KRISSYBABY

Because you are you means you are different from this person. No one without medical background should be giving advice as to whether or not to take an antidepressant or not. That is a professional opinion that should be given. Everything does not work for everybody. It's ok to give your experience with similar drugs and so forth but you should never say don't do it. The best answer is to say consult with your physician before trying do it yourself methods. Everything is not for everybody. Example: my sisters husband is going through depression for the first time. He was prescribed Lexapro. As soon as friends found out they said he should definitely go natural. I am a Psychiatric PA and primary care. I gave my husband my professional advice and he went natural just to try it and it made it worse and he was on it for 6weeks. He went back to his doctor as I suggested and he began taking the lexapro with an increase after two weeks,
    within a few weeks my husband has gained back his life. The natural way is not always the best way for anyone or everyone.
    Last edited by malaunrouge69; 08-02-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Bill12 is offline New Member

I am 20 years old. I use lexapro for two months i must say great anxiety and depression are gone. I found Lexapro online on google i must say great medicine also for young people.Lexapro help me