Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By aprilia1k
Ritalin vs. Adderall
    scombs0035 is offline New Member

Question Ritalin vs. Adderall

I have taken Adderall regularly for a few months now and i was wondering if Ritalin is the same or no i take them for extra energy and help on loosing weight i am aware its not healthy but i still do it ... if anyone can help me with the similarites of the two??please

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by scombs0035 View Post
    I have taken Adderall regularly for a few months now and i was wondering if Ritalin is the same or no i take them for extra energy and help on loosing weight i am aware its not healthy but i still do it ... if anyone can help me with the similarites of the two??please

They are both amphetamines and have similar qualities used for weight management and attention defecit disorder among other things. I'm not a big fan of amphetamines at all. In fact I hate both drugs totally, but there are medicinal values to each of the medications however small. Both medications have good points for the right people. They are both so often used and abused by so many people though that I think they are some of the most overly prescribed medications on the market today. I wish you the best of luck. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

bluebird2 is offline New Member

according to this article that compares ritalin vs adderall they're not both amphetamines. It goes through the differences et cetra and should be a good read for the OP.

Anonymous Guest

Adderal is just slow released - so you just need to dose once daily - preferably in the Morning.

John Weelsen is offline Junior Member

I have taken Adderall regularly for a few months now and i was wondering if Ritalin is the same or no i take them for extra energy and help on loosing weight i am aware its not healthy but i still do it ... if anyone can help me with adderall the similarites of the two??please
    See that:
    Adderall
    Generic Name: Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine
    Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.
    Adderall is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
    Adderall may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Ritalin
    Generic Name: Methylphenidate
    Ritalin is a mild central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Ritalin is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and narcolepsy (an uncontrollable desire to sleep). When given for attention deficit disorder, Ritalin should be an integral part of a total treatment program that includes psychological, educational, and social measures.

It is not Amphetamine but have a similar appointment
    Last edited by John Weelsen; 10-08-2009 at 06:20 AM.

I took adderall for 4 years , it had much less peaks & valleys than ritalin, I used ritalin for a year as well. I have been off these drugs for about 2 years now and never felt more like myself, rather than feeling like a robot,preprogrammed, etc... I have ADHD and with age & knowledge comes wisdom and you begin to know yourself better & you can manage yourself better, I am now 31. I do miss all the amazing things I pulled off on the stimulants but a pure life means more than that to me.

And yes, Ritalin - Methylphenidate & Adderall - Amphetamine, dextroamphetamine are different mixes of salts.

I used Focain for a few years as well, that was the best med for me, a bit more intense than the other 2 tho.

God bless.
    Last edited by Been-there-done-that; 10-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.

I meant Focalin not Focain, lol. Its just another stimulant drug in the rainbow of them.

kidmonster is offline Junior Member

I have seen my wife use Adderall as per perscribed by her psych. and she did have alot more energy, slight weight loss and higher confidence, but she refuses to see that it is kinda like speed. But I have my own issues to work out!

Kaywood is offline New Member

Hi. Did you mention how you are obtaining both Adderral and Ritalin at the same time? Be careful if you are getting them from friends or the street. You could end up with a Felony on your record which will completely ruin your happy life for a long time. I'm just mentioning this because I care. When I was in my 20's and 30's I didn't think nothing about sharing or exchanging my Pills with a friend or associate. I never got in trouble, but I was fortunate. When I was 40, I was taking 20mg Ritalin, 3 x's a day. That was enought for me, but my boyfriend was always bugging me for a few here and there. In order to have enough for my ADD and Narcolepsy, and also give him a few, I just went to my General Doc and was able to get him to prescribe a small, but adequate amount of more Ritalin. I did not now this was illegal...but it is. It's called "Doctor Shopping" and if the Docs both find out, then they won't give you anything. If the Police are informed, then your in more trouble. My General Doc found out, but I think he felt that my embarrassment and Shame was enough punishment. I took Ritalin for 7 years, with a occassional 5 day holiday and I avoided a tolerance. Now, years later I take 30mg 2x's daily of Adderral and that's not enough. Adderral is definately a stronger drug. Tolerence builds alittle faster and so does the Addiction. Just for the heck of it, I asked for Ritalin extended release when I had my Psych. visit. I thought that switching for awhile would be fun for a change. I filled the RX for 20mg 3x's daily. After taking it for one day, I realized I was screwed for the month! From experience and lots of study I have learned that a person switching to the Weaker Ritalin needs a script for almost double the milligrams of the mg's of the Adderall in order to be equivelant. I told the Doc,but he would only prescribe the same 60mgs.. I am trying to take the Ritalin as directed, but my motivation to do anything constructive is gone, and my Depression has come back a tad. So....some days I have to take 4 to 5 tablets to function normally. I know I will come up short near the end and will have to take only 1 or 2 a day for my last week before seeing my Psych. again. I'm sorry I rambled on, but I hope this answers some of your questions. Adderall is alot stronger than Ritalin. For those people that are taking just Ritalin,...if you find it wears off too early, then maybe try the Extended release Release kind. It's smoother. Also, I hate to say it, but you are headed to a stimulant addiction that one day you will hate..and regret. The higher the dosages, the higher and quicker your Tolerance will develop. What will you do then? For now, I hope you will Try to slow down, and [B]also take days off of the pills once in a while.. I've been there, and I slowed down just before I was Psychotic and at the point of No ReturnWishes, Kaywood

Phoenix23 is offline New Member

I prefer adderrall. It works way better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Debpurpletiger View Post
    Adderal is just slow released - so you just need to dose once daily - preferably in the Morning.
    Actually, there is Adderall XR (extended release) or there is short acting Adderall, which usually lasts 4 hours, depending on the person. I prefer the short acting because you can control your dose for the most part. It comes in 10, 20 and 30 mg. (as far as I know).

cowildflower is offline Member

Default ditto pretty much

for whatever it's worth: I was on ritalin for a few years by my regular doc.

I went to a psychiatrist last year for a few other issues. She switched me to Adderrall. she said for adults adderall works much better. Out of like 400 adults she has treated in the past few years, only 1 of them is on ritalin.

just sayin'

peace

kimmie925 is offline New Member

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD a year ago and went on the medication rollercoster. My Dr finally went with adderall xr and within a week I was a completely different person. I was completing task and not putting things off. I went back to school and made grades I had never made before. My Dr decided to switch to vyvanse because it was a newer and better medication so he thought. He kept having to increase the dosage until I reached 60 mg a day and said he could not go any higher because of my weight. So he started me on 10 mg of regular adderall to boost the vyvanse and even then that did not work to well. I begain to feel myself going backwards. Two weeks ago my Dr switched me back to Adderall xr and already I can feel the difference. I have not tried Ritilan however my son was on "Focilin which is a ritilan based" for seven years and he was so zombied out i couldnt stand it. After being on the adderall myself I had his Dr try him on the Adderall also and he was more focused than on the focilin and was not zombied out. He hated taking the focilin to the point he begged me to stop it because of the way he felt. Now he takes his medication without me reminding him.

Asharr is offline Banned

Depends on you that if your are not satisfied with Adderall then you can use Ritalin.
    Yes these both medicines work in the same way and have equal effects.

jaypbarb666 is offline Member

Let's worry less about the differences between the 2 and worry about you, original poster. Do you actually need the drugs? If you are taking them for extra energy and weight loss, I assume you are buying them off the streets since I don't think doctors prescribe it for just energy and weight loss. If you aren't getting them properly and being monitored by a doctor, I recommend you stop. You should do things the right way. If you want to lose weight you should simply exercise at a high intensity (sprinting and weight lifting) and follow a protein-rich, low calorie diet. For energy boosts each nutrient-dense foods and drink small amounts of caffeinated tea. I think you are playing with fire using amphetamines for weight loss, and you know when you play with fire you get burned.

Dawn Joy is offline New Member

Default No Adderral Nationwide

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best substitute for Adderral, since there is a nationwide issue trying to fill your Adderral scripts. Any advice would be appreciated. I am on 20mg twice a day, and that has worked out very well for me. I have tried the extended release Adderral,Vyvanse and concerta, none have worked as well as the 2 - 20mg a day. The pharmacy suggested Rytalin, i was wondering if i am on 20 mg of Adderral would I need the same dosage, i noticed someone mentioned they needed almost double the amount of Ritalin vs. Adderral.

aprilia1k is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Joy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows what is the best substitute for Adderral, since there is a nationwide issue trying to fill your Adderral scripts. Any advice would be appreciated. I am on 20mg twice a day, and that has worked out very well for me. I have tried the extended release Adderral,Vyvanse and concerta, none have worked as well as the 2 - 20mg a day. The pharmacy suggested Rytalin, i was wondering if i am on 20 mg of Adderral would I need the same dosage, i noticed someone mentioned they needed almost double the amount of Ritalin vs. Adderral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Joy View Post
    I had trouble filling a scrip for Adderall in late August and was told a similar story, that there is a "shortage" or something. This is for GENERIC Adderall (Amphetamine Salts Combo). I waited 10 days and they got it in. The next month they had it and I didn't have to wait, same with his month. I am concerned by some of the posts here - folks using these serious drugs for _energy_ or for weight loss. But, well - it's your life.
    There does seem to be an awful lot of Adult ADD going on. I am afflicted. I know that many people who are simply doing the "rat race" thing, surfing internet all the time, running around picking up kids at soccer, working late, not sleeping enough - end up thinking they have ADD. It is true that in 2011 (for some time now), there are MANY more distractions and ways for people to become unfocused and/or attention "altered". I know for certain, as someone who has had ADD their whole life (my Mother even kept my grammar school report cards, wherein teachers from 1st grade on through HS would praise me for my "bright" mind then attack for my "lack of discipline" and focus, and constant talking and interrupting, etc... of course no one understood these things back then. They skipped me a grade ahead (5th and 6th in one year), thinking that the extra challenge and work would force me to settle down (sometimes my work was o.k., but I had trouble paying attention to lectures and directions, as well as reading for any length of time). Anyway -- didn't mean for this to be a life story or soap box. I took Ritalin first, and it _was_ helpful at higher doses (Ritalin and Adderall are two completely different drugs with different dosing. PERIOD.) but within the range of "normal". I think we switched me to Adderall a little early, that is before exploring all dose options, but that's history. After finding a sort-of appropriate dosage for Adderall (as tolerance can occur, dosing may need to be titrated for a few months to find the "sweet spot") it is helpful. It is not a cure, and it's not magic. I have to work hard to break out of my ADD behavior and habits, with structure and routine. While focus is improved on Adderall, I have made the mistake more than once of going to "grab something", a shirt or whatever, and sat at the computer for a moment to check email. The focus becomes a hyper focus but with the ADD brain following tangential pathways within this focus. Pretty soon, three hours later, I have browsed and surfed a myriad of topics and most were interesting but a total waste of time. The adderall effect caused me to become hyper interested in this meandering path (without it, the surfing can still happen, but my focus is fleeting at best and I " wander" way more). Point is I have to be careful where I LOOK and need to have a plan from the outset of what I want to accomplish or focus on, and then be careful to stay on that course. It's not perfect, but at least I can absorb and comprehend what I focus upon. And - I can sleep when I want to. Calmly, close my eyes and just sleep.

My reaction to Adderall is different than most non-ADD folks. If it doesn't calm you down, with an almost paradoxical effect relative to the "average" person (who becomes stimulated and "jazzed"), then you may well not have ADD. I don't imagine that this is a foolproof way of making that determination or not, but I do know that I am hyper and anxious WITHOUT treatment (my whole life), have great difficulties with impulse control (interrupting people - not out of rudeness, but the ADD brain takes charge often and is conditioned through experience to initiate certain behaviors in response to a flood of stimuli and inability to control this mental "channel surfing") and problems with mental focus, keeping my mind from wandering like Jeremy's butterflies. I have always had insomnia, great difficulty at times falling asleep. When it was/is at it's more severe (fatigue, nutrition, general health all are factors) I'll often read the same page in a book over and over, not due to any OCD-type issues, but simply due to an inability to focus and concentrate sufficiently. To assimilate and comprehend something usually requires *extreme* effort and energy to control the wandering of attention, etc.. the normal, "at idle" or "at ease", state for me is anxious and oft-agitated. It's something that I know cannot be appreciated unless you have experienced it. It is to know and recognize your own intelligence, but to constantly battle a steady stream, or barrage, of "thought bombs" that hijack your focus and attention, basically your CONTROL over your own direction. Everyone experiences the "cannot find the keys", or "what was I looking for?" situation, and thinks that's what ADD is like. Yes - those situations are constant companions, but they are _nothing_. That's status quo, everyday life. Many of us by the time we're a little "older" have been forced to at least have some basic survival techniques, since going from room to room is often totally perilous. Things like routines that we have worked hard and long to implement - keys always on a hook right by the front door on the wall, for instance, right when you walk in the house. Check-lists and boring routine behaviors that offer some slight protection, since any deviation in to spontaneity may have us up all night reading from an old box of letters or postcards or etc.. , because we got "sidetracked" when we went to... well - we never ever remember what the original reason for going up/downstairs was, or what have you; could be anything - to get a glass of water because we forgot to check the list when heading for bed. ;-) Sorry for the utter novel, but it's another little symptom. THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE - to convey, is that when I take the medication, in proper dose, it very much CALMS ME DOWN. It slows the thought swarm (paradoxically, as it is, basically, speed) and I am able to fall asleep where before I would just lay back as a passenger on my own runaway thought train.

Again, Ritalin and Adderall are definitely different. Ritalin's typical/average dosing is somewhat higher than Adderall - I don't think it's quite double. I saw a website that contained some statistics for dosing, what they called "off-label" dosing, which discusses higher than manufacturer's labeling/recommendations but which doctor's can legally prescribe, and which research among ADD-specialists/professionals has indicated is necessary for therapeutic results in some patients. This is strictly with regard to treatment for Adult ADD. It was postulated that a patient's body-weight may be a factor in proper dosing, as I recall. Try to find generic Adderall - if you're used to the 'XR', ask about getting ordinary immediate release instead, and take it one or two more times in the day (it may be available when the 'XR' is not. It's the same drug, just that 'XR' is extended release, as in it slowly breaks down a larger dose over a longer time. I have never felt that the ordinary immediate release was less effective, in fact it doesn't wear of that quickly, especially the second dose in the day (indicating that the first dose does leave some residual, in fat or .. whatever). Just some advice to think about.

Good luck,

Aprilia1k
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Violence is offline Junior Member

I have tried both Adderall and Ritalin, and personally I find Adderall IR to be much more effective without any strong crash as opposed to Ritalin. Ritalin for me would give me a jolt of euphoria after 25 mins, which would last some 20 minutes. Afterwards, I would have a notable depression for a couple hours until it wore off.

But, as we all know, these drugs work differently on each of us.

hamandcheeseplease is offline New Member

Default adderall vs ritalin

First off I'd like to state that we can all tell who either didn't take their medication, or who is prescribed ADHD medication and doesn't really need it. lol, sorry to make jokes I understand this is a life altering condition but if you can't joke then you can't live. Secondly, to a previous poster I do believe (at least in the U.S.) both Ritalin and Adderall ARE prescribed for weight loss, obviously not simultaneously and only as a last resort. To the original poster, as for the differences I will soon be finding out as I have been diagnosed with get this 'idiopathic hypersomnia' which is medical talk for I sleep to much and they don't know why. I remember growing up I would joke i had ADHD (Attention Deficit HYPOactivity Disorder) lol I believe it's narcolepsy like a previous poster but the results of my sleep study weren't enough to dx me with it even though I slept all night and for all 5 daytime naps. Anyways, i was first prescribed adderall which helped for the first month or so but I developed a tolerance EXTREMELY rapidly taking my 20 XR in the morning and 20 XR in the afternoon I would still be tired and i could still sleep for 20 hours a day, so I did what any self diagnosing person would do and I would take double in the morning and double in the afternoon till eventually a lethal dose to a normal person wasnt doing anything for me. Well I asked my doc today if we could try something else because of "side effects" and he gave me ritalin and I took my first 20 mgs about an hour ago and im still awake..typing this book for you!1! Hopefully to NOT ride the ritalin train on the same path as I did with adderal. Anyways so far the ritalin seems slightly milder in terms of "physical effects" but roughly equivilant or greater "mental" effects than the first time I took adderal. Hope my info helps someone out there. and P.S. to all of you with INSOMNIA, I'm not a doctor obviously but I get a sense that some of your symptoms either ARE or MIMIC that of hypermania, which I would hope your docs have looked into bi-polar as a possible coexhisting condition with your ADHD. if not then check it out. good luck everyone and I wish you good health.