Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By manda12
Ritalin
    medik8 is offline Member

Default Ritalin

Ritalin
    Generic Name: methylphenidate
    Treatment for: Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and Narcolepsy

Have you taken or do you take Ritalin?
    Are you the caregiver for a child on Ritalin?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/ritalin.html

Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/ritalin.html

Drugs.com Care Guide Links
    Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Adults
    http://www.drugs.com/cg/attention-de...-disorder.html
    Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Children
    http://www.drugs.com/CG/ATTENTION_DE..._CHILDREN.html
    Narcolepsy
    http://www.drugs.com/CG/NARCOLEPSY.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 12:43 AM.

toshiro is offline New Member

Has anyone heard of a connection between Albuterol and Ritalin? My son, 6 yo, was recently diagnosed with Asthma. I'm not convinced its the right diagnosis. It feels that many kids with wet coughs that don't clear up right a way are labeled "asthma". I actually think, his body gets too run down by his other parent and, therefore, it takes long to clear up. In any case, "asthma" diagnoses seems as common today as attention deficit disorders. How can I really know if my son has Asthma or if I'm getting an easy fix from the Dr.? What are the long term effects of Albuterol use?

Anyone?

Rhonda Vosmus is offline New Member

Albuterol is considered a quick relief medication for the treatment of an acute exacerbation of asthma or more simplified, Albuterol is for relieving tight muscles in the airways. There have been noted long term side effects from the use of albuterol. Short term side effects last about 4 hours and consist of increased heart rate and 'jitteriness'. You should partner with your childs doctor and ask these questions and more. If your child has asthma and is having a cough more than 2 times a week in the day and more than 2 times per month at night, he may need daily controller medications. Again, partnering with your doctor is essential, asthma is a chronic disease.

Rhonda Vosmus is offline New Member

In re-reading my last message, I want to clarify, there have been NO noted long term side effects from albuterol use, I omitted a word. Sorry!

bruschirobin is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by toshiro

Has anyone heard of a connection between Albuterol and Ritalin? My son, 6 yo, was recently diagnosed with Asthma. I'm not convinced its the right diagnosis. It feels that many kids with wet coughs that don't clear up right a way are labeled "asthma". I actually think, his body gets too run down by his other parent and, therefore, it takes long to clear up. In any case, "asthma" diagnoses seems as common today as attention deficit disorders. How can I really know if my son has Asthma or if I'm getting an easy fix from the Dr.? What are the long term effects of Albuterol use?

Anyone?

Miles is offline Member

Re Ritalin:

Ritalin is methylphenidate. Methylphenidate affects the brain in precisely the same way as cocaine. With a similar degree of potency, they both block a molecule that is involved in the reuptake of dopamine. One difference is whether one snorts it or ingests it in pill form. That partly changes its rate of metabolism, but it still affects the brain in the same fashion.

Methylphenidate was used in research studies to deliberately stir psychosis in schizophrenics. This was done because researchers could take an individual with a tendency towards psychosis, give him/her methylphenidate, and cause psychosis. Researchers also knew that amphetamines, like methylphenidate, could cause psychosis in persons who never before had been psychotic.

Think about this! We are giving a drug to children that is known to have the possibility of stirring psychosis. The odd thing about methylphenidate and amphetamines is that, in children, they have a counterintuitive effect. In adults, speed makes them more jittery and hyperactive. For unknown reasons, amphetamines in children still their movements – it actually keeps them in their chairs at school and helps them to become more focused.

We are robbing children of their right to be children, their right to grow and experience the world in all its richness. It is criminal! Millions of children have been affected. At some universities, as many as 40-50 percent of freshmen arrive with a psychiatric prescription!

It is a means of social control. Children are given Ritalin and antidepressants to subdue them and force them into conformity. It also has a huge marketing payoff, creating customers, hopefully lifelong customers. Before long, these children are on three or four drugs. From a capitalist point of view, the strategy of the drug manufacturers (most notably, Eli Lilly) is brilliant.

Who really benefits? It is the drug companies, the psychiatrists, the researchers, the advertising agencies. In the meantime, children are drugged out of their minds and damaged for life. In spite of the proliferation of psychiatric drugs in the US, no one asserts that the mental health of the American public is improving. Instead, there is a hullabaloo over the increasing mental health “problem.” The stresses of modern life or something equally inane is blamed – are we not creating mental illness?

Miles

bebe is offline New Member

Hi. I'm Bea and new here. I was wondering if anyone new about the long term/life long effects of Ritalin? I was on it from 1980 through 1985 or 1986 and in July of 1985 I started a neck twitch which has progressed over the years into various other twitches. Facial, stomach, etc. I was tested in 1988 and was told I had a "nervous condition" and fitted for a neck brace. 2 pieces that velcro together with plastic on the throat and neck to prevent forward and backward movement. I am unable to retrieve my files because I'm now 34 and everything seems to have been destroyed. I am undergoing tests now, MRIs, EEGs, EMGs to see if we can find anything. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

joeyc07 is offline New Member

I'm prescribed Focalin for ADHD, which is a new med that just recently hit the market. It's nearly identical to Ritalin. The difference is that the l-isomer has been removed from methylphenidate, leaving only the d-isomer. The d-isomer is responsible for nearly all of Ritalin, Concerta and other methylphenidate-containing medicine's effects, which is all the new preparation contains (It's known as dexmethylphenidate in this form). It's double the potency of methylphenidate alone, since the irrelevent l-isomer has been removed. So a 30mg dose of Ritalin is equivalent to about 15mg of Focalin.

Like I mentioned above, I have ADHD. I've had experience with a decent amount of different drugs, including alcohol, marijuana, various forms of methylphenidate, amphetamines (adderall in my case), benadryl, seroquel, inhalants, oxycodone, hydrocodone, codeine, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.

So now that you have a decent background, I can describe how it currently effects me. I take two 10mg doses daily, one after breakfast, and one after lunch. It's in the regular pill form, not the extended release capsule (I used to take the XR until it somehow seemed to lose it's efficiency).

When taken orally, within 15-30 minutes I'll begin to feel more awake, focused, and outgoing. The onset is accompanied by a desire to stretch and yawn. Teeth/jaw clenching (trismus/bruxia) is absent, unless I'm under stress or anxiety during the effects. If it is present then the effects are usually not very strong, just a mild teeth grinding.

Appetite is diminished as the effects begin as well, being as it's an appetite suppressant (It's a ************************* and a half to eat, even my favorite foods). While it makes me feel mentally calm, at the same time it makes me more sociable, produces a sense of well-being, and, contrary to what's usually reported, less irritable. These effects persist for about an hour to an hour and a half, afterwards moving onto the next "phase". At this point, most of the good feelings have worn off, but the appetite suppression, increased ability to focus and mental calmness remain in effect. I also begin to experience mild to moderate feelings of anxiety and social withdrawal, and my tolerance for irritability reverses. So by this point I'm usually just quiet and focused, and tend to be a bit antisocial as well.

At this point, cravings develop, and my memory actually feels a bit impaired in this phase (the tip of the tongue phenomenon is pretty frequent). This lasts for about two to three hours, when most of the effects begin to wear off. At this point I feel more hyper, impulsive, and get a weird feeling of stupidity, more so than before taking the drug. My appetite usually doesn't completely return until about an hour after this phase. Speaking of which, appetite makes a serious come back. I'll become extremely hungry once it's all worn off. The reversed after effects usually last for about 2 hours.

So, I'd average the timing of effects orally like so:

Onset: 15 to 30 minutes
    Coming up: 5 to 15 minutes
    Peak: 1 to 2 hours
    Come down: 2 to 3 hours
    After effects: 1 to 3 hours

Intranasally, the onset is almost instant. Usually within 20 seconds with me. The effects are much more pronounced this way in both the first and second "phases". I feel an instant rush of well-being and the other positive/neutral feelings I described above, including appetite suppression. This lasts only about 30 minutes intranasally. However, this quickly subsides and moves to the second phase. The ********************ty feeling usually lasts from about 2 to 3 hours, during which cravings and other negative feelings are more profound than when taken orally.

My average timing on intranasal effects:

Onset: 5 seconds to 1 minute
    Coming up: 1 to 5 minutes
    Peak: 20 to 30 minutes
    Come down: 2 to 3 hours
    After effects: 1 to 3 hours

It also has a tendency to make me want to do more drugs. Though I've read that people treated with methylphenidate are less likely to abuse other drugs, I find myself craving cigarettes or some other high a lot while under Focalin's influence. This usually happens during the come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Re Ritalin:

Think about this! We are giving a drug to children that is known to have the possibility of stirring psychosis. The odd thing about methylphenidate and amphetamines is that, in children, they have a counterintuitive effect. In adults, speed makes them more jittery and hyperactive. For unknown reasons, amphetamines in children still their movements – it actually keeps them in their chairs at school and helps them to become more focused.

Miles
    The calming effect isn't produced in all children, and some adults experience the same, seemingly paradoxal effect as well. Age isn't the factor, it's whether or not the person has AD(H)D or not.

Miles is offline Member

"The calming effect isn't produced in all children, and some adults experience the same, seemingly paradoxal (sic) effect as well. Age isn't the factor, it's whether or not the person has AD(H)D or not."

Whoa, just a minute joeyc07! Are you intimating there is some chemical interaction going on? I.e., that so-called ADD/ADHD persons have something unique to their biochemistry that, when Ritalin is added, causes some sort of reaction?

Please explain!

Miles

joeyc07 is offline New Member

Yes, those with ADHD have an imbalance of chemicals that are responsible for things such as attention span, impulse control, etc. I'm not a chemist expert so I can't go too in depth, but I know that Ritalin does change those certain chemicals that affect those with AD(H)D's ability to focus and all.
    Last edited by joeyc07; 04-11-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Miles is offline Member

Joeyc07, the concept that a brain-based, chemical imbalance underlies mental illness is false. Although popularized by heavy public marketing, it is simply psychiatric wishful thinking. As with all of psychiatry’s disease models, it has been thoroughly discredited by researchers.

Diabetes is a biochemical imbalance. Treatment in severe cases is insulin injections, which restore sugar balance. Nothing like a sodium imbalance or blood sugar imbalance exists for depression, ADD/ADHD or any other psychiatric syndrome.

Today’s brain imagery photos, said to prove mental illnesses are physical diseases, are deeply flawed. Indeed, prescribed psychotropic drugs most likely cause the changes seen in the brain. Think: Ritalin!

bree900 is offline New Member

Default Meds for ADD/ADHD

I am an adult with a big case of ADHD. I was diagnosed with it three years ago, I am in my 30's. I am sick over what I could have accomplished had I known I had this problem. My childhood was very stressful and the reasons were largely due to having ADHD without knowing it. I managed my symptoms but the stress of doing that was brutal. My sleeping was horrible every single night. When I look back at my childhood and the internal pressure I put on myself which is a thing ADHD people do for no reason. My parents weren't demanding I just expected more out of myself than you can imagine, pressure was what most comes to mind. I suffered a lot in silence. I pray none of these drugs get taken away. We abuse drugs they don't abuse us. I had spent years in my job frustrated about why things didn't come easily to me that were easy. Hard stuff was actually easier because it needed all of my focus. Focusing is just brutal and the constant rolling thoughts are so stressful and make sleep impossible. When the brain has the "general" working properly the part that tells you when to talk and basically keeps you on track it's a different world. I am super smart so I could daydream in class and cram to get really good grades but for the kids that aren't they develop low self esteem and feel stupid because they tend to lose things and procrastinate and are called lazy, none of which is true. I can't tell you how adderall and ritalin helped change my life. I have done things I never thought I could do because I was able to use the brain I was given because I had the ability to calm my nerves and focus. I also don't cut people off while they are talking which is a habit of a person with ADHD and I hate doing that to someone and definitely do not mean to you just can't control it. I actually sleep since on a stimulant. People need to be informed and if you don't have it and haven't talked to someone with it STOP WRITING ABOUT THIS SUBJECT BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED! Also, if kids are put on meds they are way less likely to abuse drugs as adults (like 20% or lower) and when they aren't the percentage that do abuse drinks and drugs are in the 80% or above. It all makes sense to me. It is a terrible thing for me but to think back to my childhood and watching what my sister has gone through because neither of us knew what it was, what we missed out on or could have accomplished is so sad. I am trying to make up for it but my sister's 'feeling dumb' and she's far from it has cost her a lot in her life. ADD/ADHD is not light it can be very serious and should your child have it meds or not, do whatever you can to get them to talk to you and not suffer in silence and not feel stupid.

katc is offline New Member

There are many different lines of research investigating the causes of ADHD.

Some biological/neurological etc arguments:

• suggests that the ADRA2A (alpha 2A adrenergic receptor) gene may contribute to comorbid ADHD and RD (J. Stevenson, K. Langley, H. Pay, A. Payton, J. Worthington, W. Ollier, A. Thapar, 2005)
    • the core deficit of ADHD as a deficit in executive processing which results from a breakdown in the executive control of attention (Schachar, 1991).
    • function of the central executive of Working Memory (e.g. Baddeley, 1986) as a core deficit in ADHD.
    • structural and functional neuroimaging studies report striatal abnormalities in children with ADHD.
    • the list could go on and on

And although I do not by any means believe ADHD is a disease, I do believe it is a very real condition and difficult to cope with. I also believe that ADHD evolves from childhood to adulthood, with a small proportion of individuals continuing to have ADHD symptoms in their adulthood (although in the UK, adult ADHD symptoms and child ADHD symptoms differ).

It worries me that in the USA (I'm in the UK) that doctors seem happy to prescribe medication in the long-term at a high dosage. It seems that doctors here are better at dealing with ADHD as something to be treated with medication in the short-term alongside other methods (different therapies) to help the individual cope with ADHD without having to turn to drugs.

snowie90 is offline New Member

I've been taking Ritalin for more than half my life for ADHD/ADD (now it's just ADD), I started at 5 or 6 [I remember the first time I took Ritalin] and am now 17. At first Ritalin was very helpful, I was no longer the anarchist of the playground and would sit in my chair or read a book all the way through, it really helped me control my impulses. Of course the doctor would periodically decide that I needed more Ritalin and bump up the amount I was taking. Only problem was he bumped it up a little too high. Instead of doing my homework in my room I would talk to myself about my thoughts on the world and myself[self-exploration kind of thing] and I became an insomniac. I already had mild anxiety that manifested itself in the form of compulsive habits like picking/squeezing bumps on my skin, and pulling my hair out; the higher dosage magnified my anxiety... Soon I was having full-blown panic attacks due to lack of sleep and stress at school. My doctor lowered my prescription. But I felt different at the lower dosage, less enlightened or something along those lines, so whenever I needed that extra boost to study I'd take extra Ritalin, which brought back all the old symptoms. My parents, thinking that I was still on the lower dose and not taking extra pills, decided to take me off of Ritalin because my anxiety was the same... Ugh that was bad, I fell asleep for about a week after I stopped taking the stimulant, migraines, massive weight gain [90lbs-118lbs highest weight], depression, and severely lowered grades [due to nodding off in class and not doing homework] were some consequences. I cried because I didn't like the way I felt without Ritalin, I told my mom I needed it, that if I took Ritalin again my grades would improve. It was the first time I had ever been on a month long hiatus from Ritalin since I began the drug. I didn't feel normal without it, I only have a few memories where I'm not drugged. That was about five months ago... I'm back to taking Ritalin (LR), but it's such a small does it's inneffective, so I take extra pills [not LR, just Ritalin] occasionaly, especially if I have to pull an all-nighter, or if I'm tired in the morning, or if I'm going to a party, or if I feel like I need more. To anyone reading this if you are thinking about taking Ritalin or having your child take Ritalin, seriously consider the risks. I am not some girl looking to get high; I am a serious-minded individual; I am passing all of my classes [which includes 4 APs] with Bs or above. I plan to go into the field of medical engineering after highschool. When my friends offer me drugs I turn them down. Ritalin is extremely addicting, and with all of the alternative methods out there that are safer, why would you choose Ritalin? Yes, Ritalin has helped me, but it has also hurt me. I am a sane individual, but after only two days off Ritalin all I can think about is how much life sucks and how much I hate myself when I'm not taking Ritalin.
    Last edited by snowie90; 05-24-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add something

drugbuster is offline Banned

And you say...

" I didn't feel normal without it, I only have a few memories where I'm not drugged. "

Are you trying to tell me that you have to be drugged to be "normal" ?

What scientific tests did your "MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS" use to determine that you had ADHD at 5 years old ?

How much money did you pay your doctor over the last 12 months ? How much did the drug companies like Novartis pay him ?

For many "doctors", the drug companies pay more than the patients.

Tim
    prozackills2002@yahoo.ca

Every 5 minutes an American is killed by an FDA approved prescription drug.

snowie90 is offline New Member

I am saying that because I have been taking Ritalin for such a long time with out a vacation from it, that normal is now having that drug in me or that is what I believe normal to be. After my parents told me how amazed they were at what a difference Ritalin made in my concentration level and impulse control and how they were so proud that the only phone calls they got from teachers now were saying how impressed they were at my improvement, I suppose my kiddy self based normal on what her parents liked. Wow, it must come as a shock to you that I loved my mom and dad and so thought that something I could do to make them happy was to take my Ritalin and not get into more trouble. If you can’t see where I’m coming from and why I would feel normal using a drug such as Ritalin, then you are a complete waste of my time.

I said five or six [way to use a scheme of omission, and by "use a scheme of omission" I mean lie, by leaving out the "or six" part in your question]. After looking into it, I was more likely six because there are warnings about giving it to children under six.

What degree do you have that gives you the right to judge my or any medical professionals? Even if you do have a medical degree, [which I doubt because if you did have a medical degree your email account would be at a hospital rather than set up on yahoo] I can assure you that testing to see if I should take Ritalin occurred. I remember them, they were fun tests, psychologists would show me a card and I'd tell them whatever was on the card, I’m sure other tests happened, but I remember that IQ test. My teacher’s complaints that I would not settle down or follow directions were what made my parents think I could have ADHD. I completely ignored my teacher because I knew everything she was trying to teach me; so, I would leave and go home (I grew up in a rural setting). I also had impulse control problems I would fight a kid for something before asking for it.

O and if you are implying that I am obtaining Ritalin illegally, then back off. Not only are you implying that I have committed a federal offense, but you are implying that my morals are iffy.

Listen, I was giving a real warning to parents about the side effects that taking a drug like Ritalin could cause. I do not know why you are being so incredibly confrontational [I guess your parents didn't love you enough when you were younger so you assert yourself on the internet] but your questions are childish and not only made you look like a fool, but wasted my time.

I still live at home I'm a junior in high school, I do not know about the financial affairs of my parents. Though I have inquired into them many times. Believe me Dr. Mack gets paid very well, if not from my Ritalin prescription and yearly checkups, then from the hundreds of other people that visit him a year. He wasn't the first one who prescribed Ritalin to me, but he kept on doing it because of the wishes of my parents.

Oh and because I cannot go back to edit my older post it's Ritalin LA not LR. I thought LR made sense, long release, but whatever.
    Last edited by snowie90; 05-25-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Miles is offline Member

Bravo drugbuster! Your insights are indeed keen! Keep up the fight against the Therapeutic State! You have an ally in me!

Regards,
    Miles

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hi Snowie90: I have read your posts and I find you to be a very intelligent young lady.The guys here are more concerned I think with the whole system and weren't knocking you personally.I think you are handling things quite well by what I have read.What are your plans as far as the ritilan goes???? Are you planning on staying on it or are you planning to stop at some time.I do think this is something you should be discussing with your doctor the next time you see him\her.I remember well back in the 90's there were alot of people abusing their kids ritilan.They used to call it cowboy cocaine or cocaine in a pill. These idiots weould snort a whole prescription in a night.Well, finally a couple of them did some kidney damage ( I believe it was the kidney).Anyway it was a fad drug and that crowd moved on to other drugs. Even back then I saw the benifits of ritilan on kids that actually benifited from it.The problem was that alot of parents were going to the doctor and saying things like "I can't control this kid can you give him something to cool him out". Unfortunately all to often the doctors would relent and give them the ritilan which in turn they would either abuse themselves or they actually would give it a kid that should never have been on it. So ritilan got a very bad name and this sort of thing happens all the time with certain drugs.It sounds to me that the drug worked for you at the time you needed it but unfortunately you weren't weened off it properly.You must have been going through terrible withdrawls when the doctor suddenly decided to cut you off.

Anyway thats what I know about ritilan which isn't much but like I said it was a hugely popular drug at on time.
    I hope you carry on with your desire to study medicine.Good luck to you.....Dave

manda12 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by toshiro View Post

Anyone?
    Albuterol is a very safe drug the main side effect is a fast heart beat which if this does occur you can switch to xypanex (sorry not sure if that is spelled right) which is a similar drug that doesnt cause that but cost more. also webmd is good for drug info.
    gabbiefae likes this.