Risperdal
    christine is offline New Member

Default Risperdal

Risperdal
    Generic Name: risperidone
    Treatment for: Schizophrenia and Mania associated with Bipolar Disorder

Have you taken or do you take Risperdal?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/risperdal.html

Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/remeron.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:40 AM.

macrec is offline New Member

I never used risperdal for anxiety but was on it to help control my racing thoughts. Though I know people do take that and other atypical antipsychotic meds as PRNs. Fortunately I didn't have any side effects from risperdal, it just stopped working for me. So unless you tend to get side effects from medications, you may want to give it a try and not use the xanax unless really needed. It is a very addictive medication. The more often you take it, the more often you will need to take it.

I hope this helps some.

Yes, thank you for your response. I guess you could say the 'anxiety' part of me made me analyze and research so much that i worried even more.lol Thank you again

lokeelee is offline New Member

A number of years ago, my mother was diagnosed with dementia & when she started hallucinating, was perscribed Risperdal which worked for awhile, until it built up in her system. At that point, she became very lethargic, drooled uncontrollably & would literally fall asleep sitting up. Needless to say she was taken off of that drug.

This has been my only experience with Risperdal, but thought you might like to know about these side effects.

Good luck to you,

lokeelee

jennifermw is offline Member

Hi I know many elderly patients that are on Risperdal for dementia, but one of the main reasons the doctors prescibe it to them is to decrease their anxiety. So it can be as either an antipsycotic or an antianxiety agent. This med is usually very effective and helps people who have both of these problems. Normally people that are on this for psycotic issues take a scheduled dose 2x a day daily. So if you question its effectiveness maybe speak to your doctor about a regular dose instead or a prn. I have not seen this used as a prn. [:I]hope this helped

Yes, all info helps. The doctor prescribed the respirdal for every night, with the hopes of eliminating the need for Xanax during the day. I have still not taken it , mainly due to fear. I really dont require Xanax daily, but when the anxiety hits a certain level i will take one. I will most likely not take it primarily because i feel that the risk of Xanax becoming habit forming is pretty low considering i dont take it daily, just prn.
    I am thrilled to have recieved any feedback, and appreciate any info. I am one of those ppl who will research things to death sometimes, lol. Thanks again,

Thor283 is offline New Member

As long as you're not using Xanax everyday you shouldn't get addicted to it. However, if you have an addiction past, you may still become mildly addicted after a few years. Respirdal, as well as Zyprexia are both being used in low doses for anxiety. I don't know how dangerous the side effects are. Somehow I doubt that they are very dangerous in low doses, but I may be wrong. You have to realize that all drugs have their dangers. Sometimes it's just a matter of which chance you feel better about taking. I have personally stopped researching a drug to death. If I need it badly enough I take it, and if I do not, then I don't use it. If I was in your position I would probably keep using the Xanax. If I saw that I needed it very often I might try the Respirdal for a few days. It's up to you.

kutie is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by christine

I have a history of anxiety but strive to use meds only when absolutely necessary. I have been prescribed Xanax (as needed) but was also given a script for risperdal (the doctor said it was just like Xanax, but would hopefully eventually eliminate the need for Xanax during the day). All was well untill i started researching the med, and found it to be primarily used for bipolar and schizophrenia. And the possible side effects are quite alarming and frightening.
    Has anyone taken risperdal primarily for anxiety? Did or does it work? And are the possible side effects alarming enough for me to try the Xanax solo, only when severly needed??
    I know this post is long and drawn out, but i do hope i can get some opinions and or experiences from ppl. FYI, i am a 35 y/o female, who i can honestly say that ii am pretty sure this is all a temporary situational period of my life..
    Thank you so much in advance.

kutie is offline New Member

Hi,
    I was reading the post about Risperdal and had to write and let you know how it affected my Mom. She was treated with this drug because she was in a hospital for uti and dehydration. Her main problem is Parkinsons and all the nurses and doctors could not understand her fear of the touching and probing. She was reduced to drooling and inability to talk, walk, eat or drink. Next she ended up in a mental ward, court ordered for 8 days before we could get her back and treated for the main reason for her troubles. Be very careful of that drug. I can't tell you how upset I was to see anyone so degraded and treated that way. I am very wary of all these drugs because they only mask the real problems and when you discontinue them the problems are still there on top of all the damage they could cause your body and mind. of course this is just my take on drugs as I am an ex-drug addict and prone to a desire to alter my mind and drugs are the fastest easiest way to do that. The life I live now (drug free) is the only life for me. Don't trust any old Doctor becayse it is his job not his love of you that drives him.

tracylee719093 is offline New Member

I have a son who whas diagnosed with ADHD when he was age 3. When he was about 7, the usual meds was not working. He was put on Risperdal.
    BAD MOVE.
    The very 1st time he took it , he was asleep within 15min. about 15 min later he was SCREAMING BLOODYMURDER. But he was not awake. He just screamed like he was dying and he didnt want to be touched. The whole time he was ASLEEP.
    The next night it happend again , Plus he deficated on himself.
    The pills went into the toilet, but he had these symptoms for 3 more nights. Dont give it to your kids.
    The DR didnt know why he had that reaction. She said she had never known this med to do this to anyone.
    Be Careful.

Casey55 is offline Member

Christine,

It is true, all meds affect all people differently and when taken in combination with another med, that has an affect too. Risperdal and Zyprexa are sister drugs, both can cause a good deal of weight gain. These drugs fall under the family of drugs called Tranquilizers and there are Major and Minor drugs in each category. Risperdal is a major tranq., referred to as Neuroleptics, and Xanax is a minor tranq. and are referred to as Benzodiazepines that fall under sedative-hypnotics. The minor are more commonly used.

I have had a generalized anxiety disorder for years and took Ativan, a minor Tranq., for 6 years and when I went off of, but Benzo.s prescribed for anti-anxiety can be addictive if administered for long periods of time, I personally didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms.

Here is my experience. I had to be on narcotics for severe back pain until I could have my surgery, about 3+ months. I was physically addicted to them and a few months after my surgery, I started coming off them, under the instructions of my doctor, slowly, over time. I did just fine physically, but I experienced my first major anti-anxiety attack. This was not like the generalized anxiety I have had, but comes on, similar to a panic attack. This was accompanied by awful racing thoughts they just kept going around in circles and I couldn't break the cycle. Between the racing thoughts and severe anxiety, I thought I was going out of my mind, I really did.

My husband called the doctor and he had him come right over and get some samples of a low dose of Risperdal for me to try. When he got home I took one immediately and 20 mins later, everything stopped. I couldn't believe it. I had another one exactly one week later and again just took the one dose of Risperdal and it resolved in about 20 mins. Then, one week later, I would have my third attack. Now, the only physical withdrawal symptom I was having, coming off the narcotics, was a lack of appetite and I had lost nearly 20 pounds during those weeks. The first time I took the one Risperdal pill, I woke up the next morning and could have eaten the house. I was absolutly famished and even though I didn't eat much, I gained some pounds on just one pill. These kind of meds can slow your metabolism and you can gain weight without eating more. A day after that I was back to no appetite. Same thing happened after the second attack, a week later. At this point I didn't know how many more of these attacks I was going to have, so I went back to my doctor and told him of the weight gain and that I was unwilling to accept that side effect. The good thing about the Risperdal was that I only had to take one dose on an as needed basis when I had an attack, and it worked right away and I didn't have to take it all the time.

I asked my doctor what else I could take that would work as well, without the weight gain. He prescribed Klonopin wafers. (they do come in pills for people who need to take them on a regular basis for generalized anxiety) With the wafers, I would take one during an attack, under my tongue and it dissolved almost instantly, and this worked even faster, in 10 mins. Not only was it faster acting, it didn't cause weight gain. After that third attack, I didn't have another, I was done the withdrawal from the narcotics.

The second two anxiety attacks did have as strong racing thoughts as the first time, that was the worst. If I had had another like that, I would have taken the Risperdal on an emergency basis, but never needed to. The Klonopin worked just fine. I have since talked to a psychopharmacologist and he told me he never prescribes Zyprexa/Risperdal unless every thing else hasn't worked. I will never know for sure, how the Klonopin wafers would have worked with the severe racing thoughts I had in the first attack, but I can tell you the Risperdal stopped those thoughts so fast, in just one dose, I couldn't believe it and I was so thankful for it.

I took Xanax for the good part of a year once and Valium about the same length of time, and again I was lucky, no withdrawal at all from them. Don't let the fact that Xanax or others report being primarily used for primarily used for bipolar and schizophrenia, alarm you. These are just the two things the drug companies tested the drug for, but as with many drugs that are approved by the FDA for one thing, once they start being widely used, people notice the drug is helping another symptom they are having, totally unrelated to the reason they are on the drug in the first place.

For example, one of the anti-seizure meds for Epilepsy, Neurontin, also prescribed for burning nerve pain, when given to people to control the seizures or nerve pain, started having reports come in from many of these people who also suffered with depression, that their mood was improving since they started the drug. Now doctors are also prescribing it as a mood stabilizer to depressed patients. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to take Risperdal on a regular basis, only as needed, and only if other meds didn't work as well. But I would have taken anything during that first anti-anxiety with racing thoughts attack, to stop it.

Good luck Christine, trying to figure out what drugs to take and which ones not to take. Try to pin your doctor, preferably a psychiatrist, down to what all your options are and any big drawbacks they are known to exhibit.

Casey

Casey55 is offline Member

Kutie,

In your post you mentioned:

>>>I am very wary of all these drugs because they only mask the real problems and when you discontinue them the problems are still there on top of all the damage they could cause your body and mind. of course this is just my take on drugs as I am an ex-drug addict and prone to a desire to alter my mind and drugs are the fastest easiest way to do that. The life I live now (drug free) is the only life for me. Don't trust any old Doctor becayse it is his job not his love of you that drives him.>>>

I certainly can understand where you are coming from, especially as an ex-drug addict. I would be afraid of meds. too. But are you referring to addictive drugs when you say you wouldn't take any drugs. Surely you would take an anti-biotics for an infection, etc? While some meds do mask symptoms, such as pain meds/narcotics mask severe pain, they are still extremely useful at the time they are used. As someone who just had two Major back surgeries this year, I don't know what I would have done without these drugs, I was and am very glad they were there. But, there are also meds that are taken for many disorders, that if stopped, the symptoms or illness would return, but I don't believe they shouldn't be used. Example, insulin for Diabetes, anti-inflammatories for Arthritis, antidepressants for Depression. For people like this, if they stopped their medication, their symptoms would return, but they are very affective in treating these symptoms and making the lives of the people who take them, better. There are meds, such as SSRI's which are used for people with OCD and depression, and they work because they correct an imbalance of seratonin to the brain. Again, if these patients stopped taking the SSRI's after treatment, they could be risking a relapse.

I couldn't agree with your more when you say not to trust just any doctor. As in all professions in life, there are good ones and bad ones. Believe me, I have had two of the worst doctors, for physical problems I have had, that there could be. I learned that when I was not being treated like a person and being talked down to and never explained my condition or the treatment, that I could leave and never go back and that is exactly what I have done, more than once. But, truly, there are also wonderful, caring doctors out there, in all fields, who really do care about their patients, not just do their jobs because it is just a way to make money. I have had some of the very best doctors in the country, for several of my medical needs, who couldn't have treated me nicer, with more respect and truly cared about me and my problem. Most recently, my Orthopedic Back Surgeon. I couldn't have a better doctor or person helping me. He even sees patients at a clinic, several times a month, who have no money, for free. Now that is caring.

I know it is really easy to let a bad experience with a doctor, leave a bad taste in your mouth. I would recommend using them as a learning experience and never staying with anyone who isn't giving you the type of care you need and deserve. I am a much better and more informed consumer, when it comes to dealing with people for anything, at 49 then I ever was at 29. Sometimes we learn as we go by experience, that is life. But is sure is good to have support groups like these so we can all help each other.

I wish you the best with doctors and meds.
    Casey

derekplt is offline New Member

i was prescribed risperdal while in rehab for cocaine abuse. I believe the doctor thought I was showing signs of clinical schizophrenia and I was severely paranoid from the side effects of heavy cocaine use. I was so delusional that I was accusing my own family of arranging magnets on the refridgerator into some kind of symbolic code to insult me! It was the evil powder blowing my thoughts out of proportion and I was told I wasn't schizophrenic but the risperdal did help during the time I took it (1 month) and made me extremely sleepy, relaxed and slow. The doctors directions were to only take one dose at night (i don't remember the mg).
    I just thought I'd share on this topic because the drug being prescribed dosen't seem to common and the comments probably won't be either.
    take care,
    Derek

aksarben is offline New Member

Can anyone discuss the difference between treatments with rispirdal injections and tablet. My daughter has bipolar disorder and the doctor at first gave her the tablets which only worked moderately and then gave her injections which improved her condition somewhat. What is the difference and what should we now expect. She is taking 2mg/day now along with many other medications.

Pat Conlon is offline New Member

My son was diagnosed with ODD a year ago (he's 5) and is currently taking Risperdal. Generally, we've been encouraged by his progress but he is exhibiting a new behavior which I don't know how to handle. He seems to be hypersexual. He comments about girls he finds attractive, and will often approach them and tell them he wants to marry them or he thinks they are cute. These girls are generally 15-20 years old. He's very keyed in to body parts and has said inappropiate things to his peers. Does Risperdal play a part in this hypersexuality? Has anyone ever encountered this?

babubear05 is offline New Member

I get Risperdal Consta shots on my arm every 2 weeks... Once when I was in an apartment paying rent all on my own and cooking, I failed to keep up with my shots and meds and suffered a relapse... Without the Risperdal, my mind goes beserk and I hear voices because I have Psychosis and Major Depression. So my advice to you would be just to keep taking Risperdal for whatever period of time your doctor tells you to because it is a very expensice drug - 2 dollars a tablet! It is a remarkable advance in new medications that stimulate soundness of mind...

"Never give up"
    Winston Churchill

MONHEIT_LAW_PC is offline New Member

There is support information available for users of Risperdal at http://www.risperdal-help.org.

Michael@Monheit.com
    866-761-1385
    Michael Monheit, Esquire
    Monheit Law, PC

karenz32 is offline New Member

I have been taking 75 mg of effexor for 3 yrs now for depression, however a few months back my family and I suffered a severe trama that everyone has gotten through but me. I have gone to therepy and been treated with rapid eye movement for post tramatic stress disorder and taken three months off work. I think I'm okay with the trama now and I am back to work, but still have crazy thoughts from time to time, (my effexor has been raised to 225mg per day)I still suffer from depression, it's a little more severe now. My MD put me on 2mg of risperdal, 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. After two weeks of that I had to stop taking it. I was a walking zombie. Not only could I not think, I could not walk up a set of stairs, I had difficulty breathing, my heart was pounding, I was sleeping all the time, so i stopped taking it. i advised my doc. of this. He insisted I take it so I went back to just .50mg at bedtime. I feel okay. Just okay. However Im getting fat fat fat. so again I thought I would discontinue, I missed one dose at bedtime and the next day I felt so very depressed I didn't go to work..... etc. I'm sure you get the picture. So I took it the following day and treated that as a missed dose.
    Is it possible that one missed dose of the risperdal would make me feel depressed?
    Is it necessary to take all of this stuff?
    Am I sopposed to take all of these mind altering dugs the rest of my life, what happens when I go off? I cant be 90 and still on it. (I'm 37 now)
    While on these meds will underlying proplems go away on thier own?
    I'm confused, the MD's just write you a script for the magic pill and send you on your way but what happens long term? does any one know?

If anybody can help me with some of my questions I shure would appreciate it.

Karen

kaylasmom is offline New Member

I am here to tell all of you to get yourself off of Risperdal! This horrible drug possibly had a part in my 12 year old daughter death. Kayla died of an apperent heart attack January 23, 2005. She was swimming and had a stoke. By the time I got her dressed and to the local hospital she was in bad shape. I sat her down to ge her checked in and she went into a grand mal seizure. After the doctors got her siezures to stop, her heart stopped. I had a healthy, vibrant, child that loved life that is now dearly departed from this World. She was born with tetrology of fallot and her heart was repaired when she a baby. She experienced no health problems after her surgery expect for RSV virus and the flu, but after beginning to take Risperdal she was a zoomie and tired all the time. I have had four attorneys tell me that I have no case simply due to what Kayla's death certificate says. I pray that each and everyone of you do extensive research on Risperdal! God bless and take care to everyone.

Leslie A. Weddle

girlie girl is offline Member

Leslie, thank you so much for sharing your story. My 10 year old neice is on Risperdal. My sister has said she acts like a zombie on it. She has even said her chest hurt before when I was watching her. I'm sending her a copy of your story.I too have a little girl and I will be very aware if that drug is ever brought up by her dr. You maybe saving alot of lives by letting people know what happen to you. I'm so sorry about your baby. I could never imagine what you went through. Yet you still have the strenghth to try and help others. Your an angel.

Girlie Girl

christinaf is offline New Member

I had just started taking Risperdal 1mg 1x a day 2 weeks ago and I am a 28 year old women and started getting larger breast and they where producing fluid. I called the doctor and he acted like he never heard of this happening and I never heard any one else complaining of this either.Please let me know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to cure it or to stop it...Thanks

craz_chick is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by christinaf View Post
    I had just started taking Risperdal 1mg 1x a day 2 weeks ago and I am a 28 year old women and started getting larger breast and they where producing fluid. I called the doctor and he acted like he never heard of this happening and I never heard any one else complaining of this either.Please let me know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to cure it or to stop it...Thanks
    I have been taking it Risperdal same mg. for a few years. I produce a fluid that reminds me of brest milk. my dr has done blood test done and nothing really came up of it they did say I had something (cant remember what now) that was high but not serriouse, I also had a MRI. I also dont get my period anymore (which I am fine with kinda). So to this day nothing has changed. I have also had alot of weight gain but that was also caused from another drug. good luck and let me know if you have a cure or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by macrec View Post
    I never used risperdal for anxiety but was on it to help control my racing thoughts. Though I know people do take that and other atypical antipsychotic meds as PRNs. Fortunately I didn't have any side effects from risperdal, it just stopped working for me. So unless you tend to get side effects from medications, you may want to give it a try and not use the xanax unless really needed. It is a very addictive medication. The more often you take it, the more often you will need to take it.

I hope this helps some.

I also get it to help control my racing thoughts but I also have anxiety and depression. It has really helped with my sleeping.

LarryGene is offline New Member

My mother was given risperdal for dimentia and as the drug has built up in her after about 3 months she became like a zombie, not able to hardly get out of bed, can't walk, sleeping all day, won't eat, not talking, glassy eyed, swollen eye lids, and wetting & bowel movements in the bed. Before she took this drug she was able to take walks, use the bathroom on her own, was eating good, and could carry on conversation, although repeating herself a lot and wanting to wander out a lot.

I couldn't watch her in this condition. She was taking 3 mg a day risperdal. I dropped it to 1 mg on Thursday and then to .75 mg on Friday. Saturday I didn't give her any risperdal. When I gave her the risperdal at 1 mg on Thursday she seemed to get even worse like a zombie, so I cut it to .75 mg and now quit giving her any of the drug. She seems to be getting more alert, has been getting up better and using the bathroom, also she stayed up watching TV from 6 pm to 10:30 pm. I hope taking her off risperdal so quickly doesn't hurt her or have severe with drawls. I wanted to back it off slowly but she was in such a bad condition I felt I had to with drawl quicker.

LarryGene

monter07 is offline New Member

Default Anybody Know???

Hi all

I was put on Risperdal a few weeks ago. I take 0.5mg every night. I want to know if anyone knows anything about the effects of using cocaine while taking risperdal.

Thanks!

dianimalover is offline Junior Member

Default about the breasts side effects of risperdal

hi. A few years ago I was given risperdal as an anti-psychotic/bi-polar treatment. I had no fluids produced from my breasts as mentioned. But I did have a reaction of such tender, and painful to the touch feelings to my breasts I asked to be taken off and my doc said that was a common reaction in women sometimes. So there you go, just puttin' in my 10 cents worth!
    Last edited by dianimalover; 04-10-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: misspelling

spydermurphy is offline New Member

Question Risperdal & Luvox

My daughter (now 12) has been diagnosed first with OCD together, 1year ago, then later she got Anxiety attacks, really bad.
    She is on 150mg Luvox to control the OCD which controlled her life on a ongoing base, and she does also tale 0.75mg – 0.5 Risperdal at night and 0.25mg after school so she can enjoy the rest of the afternoon. She does experience most of the commen side products like – weight gain / appetite, Falling to sleep within 30min after evening dosage. Naturally, we as parent are very worried seen our child taking this “big boys” medications
    My understanding is that the Anxiety triggers the OCD –

Question _ does anyone have experience with the combination of Luvox & Risperdal?

God Bless
    SpyderMurphy

Kintz is offline New Member

Smile Been on risperdal for about 7 years

I have been taking risperdal for about 7 years for "Paranoid Schizophrenia" (i am 28). At first i had walking zombie feelings and side effects but it outweighed hallucinating all the time. Now I have developed to a normal functional human (for the most part ). I do recommend risperdal for treatment of schizophrenia but would not be too sure to perscribe it on a day to day basis unless your situation is serious (i take 8 mg a day and function well now). I am not positive of the classification, but another medication like resperdal that was not strong enough to counter my hallucinations was geodon. I know it has minimum to null weight gain but it was not the right one for me. It is also an (don't let the term scare you) "Antipsychotic". I have been on pretty much all antipsychotics except the "last resort" as they called it which name i do not remember.

My conclusion is if the side effects and trouble in the beginning can be dealt with Safely and Reasonably and you have a serious condition take the resperdal and keep taking it. If you are currently taking risperdal but the side effects are bad maybe you should consider Geodon or another non addictive alternative.

Have a Blessed day.

:small edit: there is a new form of resperdal that takes away the risk of Diabetes and lowers to nulls weight gain. It is called Invega.
    Last edited by Kintz; 10-19-2008 at 05:59 PM.

LivinbyGrace is offline New Member

Default Need feedback: Risperadone and Effexor, your experience? I have BPD and bipolar.

I have just joined this site and would like some feedback. I have borderline personality disorder and bipolar and i am 36, male. I have been on different antidepressants and now on Effexor XR 150mg and they just started me on 2mg of Risperidone. I am supposed to take 1mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Wow does it make me sleepy. However, the drowsiness sometimes changes and it's hard to predict. One night after I took it I feel asleep in 45 min and another night it took three hours. What's the deal with the variation? Also, taking the dose in the am makes me drowsy at work and it's hard to function. So yesterday I didn't take my 1mg am dose and took 2mg at 6pm and i didn't fall alseep until 10:30pm but then couldn't wake up for work. I finally got out of bed at 9am and was still drowsy until 11am.

Can anyone please tell me if you can relate or comment on my dual diagnoses and my side affects? Also, can you please comment on what works for you with med combos if you have my dual diagnosis?

I really want help with my mood swings, mania and depression, but I also want to minimize the meds I take and try to avoid the side effects.

I look forward to hearing from you all. thanks in advance.

hadenough2009 is offline Junior Member

What kind of drug is risperdol? My husband's therapist briefly prescribed it to him for sleep, but after a week, he stopped taking it. It made him wet the bed at night. Also, after he would take it at night, he would become very loopy and would not be able to process thoughts, speak clearly, and he even drooled. It was very weird.

sacha007 is offline New Member

Default Risperdal made me stupid and barely functional

I took Risperadal once for a manic break and also depakote. The risperdal made it impossible for me to think straight or function. It caused disturbing thoughts. It made me very stupid and drool and move slow. I shudder to think what might have happened to my brain if I stayed on it. I stopped after the acute mania was subdued (2 wks) and stayed on depakote for a few months. I then did not take meds for 10 years and was fine with some low level manic activity here and there (working late, inspired thought, that kind of thing). recently developed anxiety and take Celexa which is great after the induction.