Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheRza82
Rising Adderall Prices?
    TheRza82 is offline New Member

Question Rising Adderall Prices?

I'm currently on 2 20MG IR Adderrall daily. I don't have insurance so I take the generics which work awesomely. As you all know, different pharmacies charge different prices for different drugs. Last month, I called the five closest pharmacies to my house which are all within two miles of a each other and got quoted prices as high as $80 dollars and as low as $26 dollars. Obviously, I went to the cheapest location and got 60 generic 20MG-IR Adderall.

This month however, I went to the same location to pick up my script and I was charged $45 dollars for the same quantity, same dosage, and same generic. I was shocked to say the least. Obviously, I know that prescription drug costs can vary a little bit but going up nearly 100% in one month for a very common drug like adderall?

Did this happen to anyone else as well? Could there be a reason why it was so much more expensive this time then last? Was it just an isolated incident where I live in Arizona or did it happen anywhere else?

If the prices continue to rise is there any other options out there I can explore? I know they have Extended Release Ritalin for about the same price.

I'm not on Adderall for ADD either, I'm on it for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

dmolise21 is offline New Member

There has been a nationwide shortage of generic amphetamine salts produced by Shire Pharmaceuticals, the original manufacturer. Although there are other manufacturers that produce adderall, apparently there still aren't enough to cover the gap. I don't know if this the only reason for the sudden increase in price, but it sure doesn't help matters.

In my neck of the woods (Biloxi,MS) my current prescription (20mg x 3/day=90pills) went from $27 a few months ago, to $40 for the last two months to (I kid you not) $105 this month! I also have no insurance, or money for that matter, so I had to settle for 30 of them (10 days worth) for $40. Luckily I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week and I plan to ask him if there are any alternatives that could be cheaper. I can't tolerate ritalin at all, but I do wonder if Dexedrine might be a viable option. It is actually somewhat stronger than adderall (Adderall = 75% d-amp + 25% l-amp; Dexedrine = 100% d-amp), however it wears off a little faster and the crashes are worse. But, hey, if it's cheaper then I'll just deal with it until the prices drop. It might be a while, though, because the DEA quotas are set every year unless a manufacturer is granted another one after a review. Bureaucracy, don't fail me now!

I would never touch regular Ritalin since I've heard it doesn't last very long and that people get really grumpy when the effects start to wear off. However, maybe that problem would be negated by extended release?

I have this website that compares all of the pharmacies in my area, although I'm not sure how accurate it is or how up to date but I've searched dexedrine in the past and the prices have been more expensive. is it available in a generic? Is it so much more stronger that my doctor wouldn't want to give me a prescription?

Like i said in my earlier post, I'm on 2x 20MG a day. I was planning on asking my doctor to switch me to 2x 30MG a day next time I go. So, if I was taking around 60MG of adderall what would be an equivalent dose of Dexedrine?
    wholesalepharmacy likes this.

paralegalvon is offline New Member

Smile Advice & Suggestions due rising cost of adderrall

This is my first time using this website & I obviously didn't do something correctly. My mission is to help people. Trust me, I've been in your shoes & matter of fact just got back from the pharmacy this evening & opted to get on the net to find out if there was any info on the sudden spike in cost of Adderral. When I saw your message I just spent almost 2 hours answering the same with all types of gd info & resources with contacts that would be of great help to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRza82 View Post
    I'm currently on 2 20MG IR Adderrall daily. I don't have insurance so I take the generics which work awesomely. As you all know, different pharmacies charge different prices for different drugs. Last month, I called the five closest pharmacies to my house which are all within two miles of a each other and got quoted prices as high as $80 dollars and as low as $26 dollars. Obviously, I went to the cheapest location and got 60 generic 20MG-IR Adderall.

This month however, I went to the same location to pick up my script and I was charged $45 dollars for the same quantity, same dosage, and same generic. I was shocked to say the least. Obviously, I know that prescription drug costs can vary a little bit but going up nearly 100% in one month for a very common drug like adderall?

Did this happen to anyone else as well? Could there be a reason why it was so much more expensive this time then last? Was it just an isolated incident where I live in Arizona or did it happen anywhere else?

If the prices continue to rise is there any other options out there I can explore? I know they have Extended Release Ritalin for about the same price.

I'm not on Adderall for ADD either, I'm on it for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-13-2011 at 02:09 AM.

paralegalvon is offline New Member

Default Assistance for those with no prescription drug coverage

Here is my situation, I went to the pharmacy tonite to p/up my generic Adderall & noticed the spike in my co-payment & inquired about the same directly with the pharmacist. Then I came home & chose to access the net to see if there was any information regarding the same, which lead me to this website. Of course, I then see all the postings from people just like myself regarding the same issue. However, I am lucky I have rx coverage. Please note this wasn't always the case. And on my journey of financial destruction in 2006, I learned many things & empowered myself with education/information regarding resources that people really wouldn't know about. In 2006, I had no choice but to give up the practice of law due to my declining health issues with complications of systemic lupus. I subsuquently became disabled and on Social Security. HOWEVER, I have since devoted my life to those in need of answers or assistance. Yes there are days I can't move or get out of bed because of extreme pain, fatigue, BUT I DIDN'T COME ALL THIS WAY IN LIFE TO TOTALLY THROW MY HANDS UP IN THE AIR & DO NOTHING WITH ALL THE YEARS I'D BEEN BLESSED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF LAW. I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO WORK BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I CAN'T HELP SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS IN NEED & THAT'S WHAT i DEVOTE MY TIME TO ON THOSE DAYS I CAN GET OUT OF BED & DO SOMETHING. I look at it this way, God gave me lupus for a reason. Although there is no cure, @ least its not cancer w/a death sentence. There will always be someone else out there in the world far worse off then me. It's my duty to do what I can & I do it because I have compassion & empathy for the many who are suffering in todays world. Most of the time, its members of the armed forces that I assist but as I read the comments on this site this a.m. I CERTAINLY SEE HOW I CAN OFFER MANY OF YOU SUGGESTIONS, RESOURCES & ADVICE BECAUSE IVE BEEN THERE & ALONG THAT JOURNEY OF BEING THERE YOU LEARN A LOT ALONG THE WAY IN AMAZEMENT BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW IT ALL BECAUSE YOU HAD A COLLEGE EDUCATION BUT REALIZE THAT MEANS NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO HAVING TO SUCUM (HOPE i SPELLED THAT RIGHT) TO AN ILLNESS, GIVING UP & LOSING EVERYTHIG but come out on the otherside with the knowledge of being empowered. SO NOW THAT i KNOW HOW THIS website obviously works. I will resubmit the information LATER TODAY that I had previously typed GODonly knows where it wound up getting transmitted to but I think Ive got a good handle on how this works. So I will definitely repost what I had typed earlier. Good night all.

midwestRX is offline New Member

I'm prescribed 90 tabs a month and I have been paying an uninsured price of $25 at Costco. However, this time I was told it will be $125!!! Needless to say, I was in shock! I left and went to Target. Target quoted me $109. Walmart was $79, but they were completely out! Target said they usually will price match, but they can't on Adderall because of a shortage of manufacturers???? Well after going 2-3 days without, I decided to pay the $109. No doubt, our economy is based on supply and demand....and I would be okay with a slight increase...but 4-5 times the normal price??....that's going to make me add a depression medication...ha

What I don't understand is how a shortage of the manufacturer would make the generics more expensive? Amphetamine has been used for over a century in the United States. Why would there be a shortage of it? I mean, so much where the price shoots up by that much?

Why couldn't they do like a gradual price rise then just have it raise that high all at once? I'm sure there are a lot of people that will have to go without their medication, like I might have too.

Last month when I picked up my script it was $45 as opposed to $25 the month before. I hope it has not raised too much more in the past month. If it has, I may have to look for an alternative although from what I've seen all other similar medications are even more expensive. The only one that I can find that is comparable is Ritalin SR 20MG. The only problem with that is that it's a different medication and it's a scheduled release instead of instant release which means there would obviously be an adjust period.

I'm on 2x20MG a day, and i was planning on asking my doctor to bump me up to 2x30MG a day since I've built up a tolerance but maybe instead I'll asked to be prescribed 40 30mg tablets instead, which is in total 1200 mg and equal to 60 20mg but it would cost lest since there isn't much difference in price between strength.

remaincalm is offline New Member

I can not tell you all how reading your experience's reg/your price increase in ONE MONTH, has made me take the blow a little easier. When I went to p/u my generic add. I could not believe it !! How can it have gone up 100% and how is that legal? My script. for 60ct 30mg which was 26.70 (no coverage) was now 80.00, I have been without now because I can not afford it, You know how they say ask your doc. before you stop taking your medication> Yeah right. I live in Ca. My question to anyone that knows is why just 1 company? Was it not the {competition} that would keep the price down. I herd about the FDA tightening its restrictions on the (old drug) policy's , meaning reinforcing laws which comes down to paying out more to FDA/ I could be all wrong reg. the FDA thing??? Anyway I do not know what to do.

The only people claiming it's the FDA that is making the prices go higher is Shire, the original producer of Adderrall. The supply chain is this: The FDA gives amphetamines to Shire and they produce brand name Adderall and Adderall XR. From there, Shire has a contract with the companies that make generic Adderall saying that they will sell them X-amount of Amphetamine. However, Shire is not meeting it's contractual obligations because they claim due to FDA regulations they do not have enough. The FDA is claiming that Shire has enough, and that if they didn't they could always apply to receive more Amphetamine from the FDA and the FDA would then give them more. Now, sales is brand name Adderall are going up since the availability of generic Adderall is scarce or the price has jumped significantly. People with insurance don't really notice the bump, but it's the people without insurance who are suffering the most...Like always.

There are a few things you can do. One is call and and check prices at all of the pharmacies closest to you, you'd be amazed how much prices will differ from pharmacies that are literally right across the street from each other. Two is ask the pharmacy if they have some sort of generic savings card. A lot of bigger pharmacies offer discounts on generic medication like Target, Walgreens, and I believe CVS and Walmart as well. I got one at Walgreens for $20 and it's good for a year and it lowered the price of 60 30MG from $73 to $33. Thirdly, is you could temporarily switch to Ritalin till this blows over. I asked a few different pharmacies around me and got prices that were a lot lower. The highest MG instant release Ritalin makes is 20MG and for 60 of those the total price was $26, so for 90 which would be equal to 60 30MG adderall it would cost $36. There is also a Ritalin sustained release, or long acting and the highest form it comes in is 20mg as well and the price for 60 of those was $36. Lastly, is go online and printout a prescriptions savings card for free. Sometimes, it just varies, but sometimes the card can save you a few dollars which helps when you're uninsured.

You asked if this was illegal and if we lived in a fair society it would be, but we live in a society motivated by greed and have a Government owned by Corporations.

jade4545 is offline New Member

Lightbulb no insurance

i have no insurance as well and i recently stumbled upon a value drug card that works almost as much as having insurance in general.. its free and works at pretty much every pharmacy nationwide.. before the drug card, cvs charged 70$ for (75) 20 mgs and with the drug card it was only 45$ even with the rising prices..
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-15-2011 at 03:10 AM.

spunkysmum is offline New Member

Default Mine went from $24 to $86 from one month to the next

And that's on a state program that the pharmacy set me up with, which i think is 25% off. Which means that full price used to be about $32 and is now $115.

Needless to say, this stinks.

kjfr7 is offline New Member

Default try checking various discount coupon-cards

My situation is pretty similar to the rest of this thread. W/out insurance coverage, I've been filling the same monthly prescription for 2 full years now (30MG 2x daily) and was surprised to see the price jump suddenly from $27 to $70. When I first started in Oct. 2009, the $87 retail price first quoted to me over the phone from my pharmacy was too prohibitive. But, after declining initially, the person I was talking to was able to find some "discount" & came back w/ the $27 amount. So I'd forgotten about that, never asked about the details of said program or even knew the name until yesterday when I asked. I'd provide the vague name they finally managed to tell me, but apparently that level of information exchange is forbidden here (isn't that wonderful ! )

After checking online, (& digging through an absurd amount general vagueness all around) the prices w/ this particular discount coupon/card seemed the best from what I've been able to gather thus far. Anyways, since there's a bunch out there, it's definitely worth researching the best for you. They're usually FREE w/ "no age or income restrictions".

As of today, I found the best prices varying btwn $46 - $75 for my usual monthly dosage through many of the pharmacies around me (western NY). So that would mean discounts of roughly btwn 12% - 48%.
    That still might not work for me personally; hopefully things will improve.

This, of course, is for "Amphetamine Salts" the generic form; I was stunned see how expensive the brand Adderall is even w/ the discounts :
    $225 avg. for instant-release & $420 avg. for the XR !!

LarryTater is offline New Member

Default Price Explosion...

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad I found this thread. I am in the same situation, no insurance, 20mg 2x a day.
    My latest price quotes have all been over $310. Are there any real solutions?
    I have been paying $160+ at Costco for the last year. (I'm in Maryland.) I would love to know where everyone was getting the RX in the $40 to $60 range. Even now I'd love to be paying the $100+ price tag.

Please let me know if anyone finds a price solution.

Thanks,

Larry

AnUnHolyVow is offline New Member

Angry Price Skyrocket!

I started taking 90mg of Ritilan when I was 6 years years old. I was taken off it as a teenager and my grades dropped. I was then misdiagnosed as Bipolar in mid teens and they put me on Strattera which did no good whatsoever. I started Adderall shortly after and my life changed, I was able to better focus, accomplish tasks. Recently I had been paying around 23.00 for sixty 30mg tablet (Generic Non XR) and 15.00 for thirty 20mg (Generic Non XR) I don't have health insurance so I have been using a Discount Card my doctor gave me, I was paying roughly 45.00 a month for 80mg. Now within a month the price has skyrocketed to over 100 dollars. I live in MS. What is going on? How can they have a shortage of a drug that has been used for so many years? Are they trying to take it off the market? Are they planning to release something new?

addult is offline New Member

Yes, I get this every month almost. I don't even know if any one carries the brand any more. I have a disability insurance and although it's covered I have to pay from $54-$200 for generic depending on where I go and when. And since these are generics one would think the prices wouldn't be so far up there, especially even if you wanted the brand they can't be found. Least I can't find them. So best thing is to shop pharmacies, but then you run the risk of being called an 'at risk' person for visiting different pharmacies...

Exclamation Price of One Brand Adderall

Quote Originally Posted by kjfr7 View Post
    My situation is pretty similar to the rest of this thread. W/out insurance coverage, I've been filling the same monthly prescription for 2 full years now (30MG 2x daily) and was surprised to see the price jump suddenly from $27 to $70. When I first started in Oct. 2009, the $87 retail price first quoted to me over the phone from my pharmacy was too prohibitive. But, after declining initially, the person I was talking to was able to find some "discount" & came back w/ the $27 amount. So I'd forgotten about that, never asked about the details of said program or even knew the name until yesterday when I asked. I'd provide the vague name they finally managed to tell me, but apparently that level of information exchange is forbidden here (isn't that wonderful ! )

After checking online, (& digging through an absurd amount general vagueness all around) the prices w/ this particular discount coupon/card seemed the best from what I've been able to gather thus far. Anyways, since there's a bunch out there, it's definitely worth researching the best for you. They're usually FREE w/ "no age or income restrictions".

As of today, I found the best prices varying btwn $46 - $75 for my usual monthly dosage through many of the pharmacies around me (western NY). So that would mean discounts of roughly btwn 12% - 48%.
    That still might not work for me personally; hopefully things will improve.

This, of course, is for "Amphetamine Salts" the generic form; I was stunned see how expensive the brand Adderall is even w/ the discounts :
    $225 avg. for instant-release & $420 avg. for the XR !!

I was in another state and forgot to bring my medication with me, dumb I know but I do have ADHD after all. So I went to get a prescription filled I got from my former doc for 10 of them. I paid $10 per pill ! figure out what 60 would have cost? No, don't. I could never pay that monthly. Still without insurance [if you don't have any], you will pay almost the same for generic...Now I call that a complete rip. Walmart's without insurance is around $400 +

Default Dexidrine

Quote Originally Posted by dmolise21 View Post
    There has been a nationwide shortage of generic amphetamine salts produced by Shire Pharmaceuticals, the original manufacturer. Although there are other manufacturers that produce adderall, apparently there still aren't enough to cover the gap. I don't know if this the only reason for the sudden increase in price, but it sure doesn't help matters.

In my neck of the woods (Biloxi,MS) my current prescription (20mg x 3/day=90pills) went from $27 a few months ago, to $40 for the last two months to (I kid you not) $105 this month! I also have no insurance, or money for that matter, so I had to settle for 30 of them (10 days worth) for $40. Luckily I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week and I plan to ask him if there are any alternatives that could be cheaper. I can't tolerate ritalin at all, but I do wonder if Dexedrine might be a viable option. It is actually somewhat stronger than adderall (Adderall = 75% d-amp + 25% l-amp; Dexedrine = 100% d-amp), however it wears off a little faster and the crashes are worse. But, hey, if it's cheaper then I'll just deal with it until the prices drop. It might be a while, though, because the DEA quotas are set every year unless a manufacturer is granted another one after a review. Bureaucracy, don't fail me now!

I use to take Dexidrine. My psychiatrist switched me to Adderall XR. Thanks a bunch. When I ran out of the Dexedrine [10-15 mg twice a day], I didn't have any withdrawal, well other tan my wife telling me she would like it very much if I could just shut-up, be still or move. That is the good news, err for withdrawal that is. The price is so much cheaper and insurance [Medicare D] plans will pay for these. The bad news is, the docs don't want to prescribe them. If you can get them go for it. I find they work just fine. You may have to up the dose a tad but for the price it's worth it.

Hyte is offline New Member

Listen up Adderall Takers. Don't give into this greed. I'm freaking out because I really do need Adderall and I'm highly productive when I take it. However, I will go through withdrawal, be miserable or do whatever ever it take for me to stop talking Adderall before I let the Pharm companies rape me. We need to contact Shire and let them know they are crooks and we'd rather not take it than pay ridiculous money so they can get richer. Spread the word!

amartinx is offline New Member

Numerous drugs are in critically short supply. Dwindling raw materials among other problems are leading to many drugs to not be produced in adequate amounts. One of the most significant drug shortages is that of Adderall, a well-known medication for treating Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-13-2013 at 10:56 PM.

ethanY is offline New Member

Among other drugs, one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Adderall, has been added to the FDA’s list of drugs in short supply, according to the New York Times. The drug, according to Reuters, is made in numerous configurations of release time, strength and also in generic and brand forms by numerous manufacturers.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-16-2014 at 06:09 AM.