Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
Remeron
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I was on remeron for a few months last year. It did not increase my appetite. In fact, it did nothing. Then again, I would say over the last 40 years, I've been on every anti depressant out there and not one of them have worked in any way (except that certain ones made me so anxious and nervous that I couldn't stand it).... I think, just as with pain meds, anti depressants are way over perscribed as they are huge money makers for pharma companies and doctors. For someone who is truly clinically depressed, by all means, meds are necessary. But I believe the vast majority of people taking them probably don't need them. In the old days, people just dealt with every day life stressors. We are now a culture of "take a pill for everything".

ScoutFinch is offline New Member

Default In Agreement

I am in agreement that many people in our culture turn to pharmaceuticals in place of learning coping / life skills to help them persevere through daily struggles. At the same time, I view myself as a work in progress. I am taking medication right now due to having symptoms and a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. I do not like taking medications, just as I do not like the symptoms associated with Bipolar Disorder. I have faith that, as I continue to grow, I will continue to learn to better manage my symptoms--through diet, exercise, therapy, etc. Right now, I am not there yet and am relying on the medications to help get me through, and I feel that that is OK--for now. Ideally, I want to become a long-distance runner, to write a well-crafted fiction book, and to finish nursing school. I just happen to be an individual who is launching into these goals while medicated. &, it soothes me to think that there are others out here in this on-line community who are in a boat that resembles mine, and it isn't such a bad boat.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I was not referring to someone like you, Scout, in my post above. When someone has a diagnosed illness, i.e., bi polar disorder, medications are a life saver. You should stay on your meds as long as you need to. I was merely referring to the millions who complain of anxiety and depression when it's notthing more than life. While these meds are definitely over perscribed, they have a place and the help many. My brother in has a diagnosis of bi-polar also. I have seen him in his manic phases which are prettty bad. It becomes a true psychosis. Without the meds he takes, I don't know where he'd be right now. With the meds, he's a successful attorney.

ScoutFinch is offline New Member

Default Thank you

Thank you for clarifying, NewYork. I am sensitive around the topic of medications and, despite seeing them work for me, I have one foot in the camp of "These are just a crutch; other people live life fine without them" and the one foot in the camp of "Having Bipolar disorder is no different than having any other diagnosable malady like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc." Some days, I seethe because I was seemingly born with this crud that I do not want. Other days I feel confident and cool that, perhaps due in part to this illness, I'm a little bit quirkier and more eccentric (in a good way) due to having it. My father has Bipolar disorder as well, and he is just a little bit different in a way that I love . At any rate, as far as Remeron giving me more of a tummy than I want, I'm going to start running and doing a whole ton of stomach crunches tomorrow so that I can have the benefits of an anti-depressant that actually works + a healthy body. Here's hoping!

femmy is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by enriquegm82 View Post
    It is known that with Remeron™ You will literally eat sugar straight out of the bag to satisfy your cravings for sweets and carbohydrates.
    However nobody can deny that is a powerful antidepressant and an excellent medicine for sleep disorders.
    Remeron will pull you out of the deepest, blackest depression like no other medication will. But be prepared for the terrible side effects.
    1)"Weight Gain" even if you dont change your diet you will gain weight.
    2)Prepare to be sleepy all the time, you will feel less active.

Thats why Remeron is not for mild to moderate depression, it's for people who are seriously depressed, who are willing to put up with the weight gain and the sleeping because those side effects suck much less than the dark pit of depressive despair one finds oneself in.
    Great description of the side effects and weighing whether the benefit is greater is greater than the risk. I have been on remeron for 3 years for depression and anxiety. I take 45 mg before bedtime. I started on 15 mg but that dose didn't relieve my depression. Nor did 30 mg.

I loss my mother 16 years ago to lung cancer. At the time, I was 15 years old. I still have horrible flashbacks of each day leading up to her death. I have been severely depressed since I lost her (my best friend). Remeron was the only anti-depressant that gave me hope and motivation to live life. I also tried prozac 9 years ago and ended up in the emergency room for trying to commit suicide. Remeron has never triggered suicidal thoughts for me. I took Celexa about 4 years ago and it was very helpful too but it took my sex drive completely away. Remeron is one of the few anti-depressants that relieve depression without taking away a person's sex drive.

I am happy with remeron.

aclarke715 is offline New Member

Default Sixth Week of Treatment

This is my 6th week since my doctor started me on Remeron. When he originally started me on it, I was barely eating. I lost nearly 15 lbs in a week and half and I had only slept about 20 hours in a whole week. My doctor originally started me on 15mg but told me that I might need to increase my dose to 30mg after a few weeks if it's not working the way it should. Within 2 weeks, I was back to eating normal and sleeping properly. By the 4th week, the increased appetite started becoming a problem because I surpassed the amount of weight I had orinigally lost from the depression. However, with proper eating and exercise it's not a problem. I am now in my 6th week. I take my 15mg every night but I am having trouble sleeping again and my appetite has nearly disappeared. I'm wondering if I should try increasing the dose to 30 mg like my doctor suggested or if the drug simply isn't working anymore. At first taking the medicine was helping so much and it greatly increased my quality of life but it doesn't seem to be working anymore

raquelsantiago is offline New Member

Default I so agree

Hi Pete,

Wow your life sounds so much like mine on that drug. After my husband died several years ago i was a wreck, doctors put me on remeron among other meds but with the remeron i ballooned up wot 350lbs from 170. I finally got off rememer but my life went downhill fast and for the past several years bad sleep to no sleep, but always tired and lethargic. They wanted to check me for bi-polar but naturally no one doctors can agree on a dx other than PTSD and Major Depression. Doctors started me on remeron again yesterday, last night i slept actually slept for the first time in 6 years. I finally feel like there is a start to having my life back. Naturally, i am worried about my weight gain, very worried but i think as long as i continue to go to the gym, drink water when im having hunger cravings (hopefully without retaining all that water) i should be ok. But im going to monitor my weight very carefully. As with all medications we must weigh the risks vs. the benefits and if the risks outweigh the benefits we are kinda in a loophole and the pharmaceutical companies know this.

Raquel Santiago
    President DSA

raquelsantiago is offline New Member

Default I so agree

Hi Pete,

Wow your life sounds so much like mine on that drug. After my husband died several years ago i was a wreck, doctors put me on remeron among other meds but with the remeron i ballooned up to 350lbs from 170. I finally got off remeron but my life went downhill fast and for the past several years bad sleep to no sleep, but always tired and lethargic. They wanted to check me for bi-polar but naturally no one doctors can agree on a dx other than PTSD and Major Depression. Doctors started me on remeron again yesterday, last night i slept actually slept for the first time in 6 years. I finally feel like there is a start to having my life back. Naturally, i am worried about my weight gain, very worried but i think as long as i continue to go to the gym, drink water when im having hunger cravings (hopefully without retaining all that water) i should be ok. But im going to monitor my weight very carefully. As with all medications we must weigh the risks vs. the benefits and if the risks outweigh the benefits we are kinda in a loophole and the pharmaceutical companies know this.

Raquel Santiago
    President DSA

hobz is offline New Member

Didn't work for me after 6 weeks of trying to lift depression, it was only good for sleep, did not experience the weight gain issue

auntieursula is offline New Member

They put me on Remeron a while back and I had the WORST reaction to this drug! I am bipolar, so you would think it would have made me manic. It made me extremely suicidal! I have been extremely depressed before but this medicine took me far beyond any darkness I have ever encountered in my entire life. It was horrible! Worst experience of my life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12