• 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By PatrickB
  • 1 Post By PatrickB
  • 1 Post By PatrickB
  • 2 Post By surfdog
Quitting Suboxone - Need Some Help Please
    PatrickB is offline Member

Default Quitting Suboxone - Need Some Help Please

In the past I would always go cold turkey but 2 years ago I started taking Suboxone. A year ago I tried to quit but I wasn't able to do it and caved because I just couldn't manage to function in day to day activities. I was also taking an average of 5mg of Suboxone a day. After failing I started taking 8mg again (bad choice I know)

It's a long story but due to a whole web of lies, my taking suboxone is a secret and I have set myself up now to where I basically now have over a week off from work from Friday - Sunday. So that gives me 10 days until I have to face the world again.

I set myself up with what I consider to be as ideal a situation as possible. I have rented a hotel room for 9 nights and I managed to get way more than enough benzo's to help me with sleep and anxiety. I have taken Xanax on a number of occasions and I really don't care for it beyond it helping me sleep so I don't need any warnings on the dangers of taking them.

What I could use is some positive encouragement and perhaps some advice from those who have gone through this before. I have a few concerns/questions.

Also - I tapered from taking 8mg a day in December down to my current dose of between .5 - .75 mg a day, that is pretty much what I will be jumping off from now.

1. I recently had some amazing luck and managed to get a hold of 19 1mg alprazolam. I know that is a lot. I know that I had a lot of anxiety last time but the sleep problem is the worst. Is taking 1 or 2mg a day for 10 days enough to really have any type of withdrawal from them? Any particular way I should approach taking them or just take them as needed? My thoughts were to break them in half and try to limit it to just before bed.
    (Yes I know this is a Suboxone thread but I am just curious on opinions of this)

2. What have people found to be the worst day of withdrawal from Suboxone? What day was it that you had what you would consider a day you felt pretty well again?

3. Anyone have any decent links or info on what types of food or nutrition can be helpful in going through withdrawal.

4. Really any words of encouragement or helpful information or even links would be great.

5. Thanks for reading.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
    In the past I would always go cold turkey but 2 years ago I started taking Suboxone. A year ago I tried to quit but I wasn't able to do it and caved because I just couldn't manage to function in day to day activities. I was also taking an average of 5mg of Suboxone a day. After failing I started taking 8mg again (bad choice I know)

It's a long story but due to a whole web of lies, my taking suboxone is a secret and I have set myself up now to where I basically now have over a week off from work from Friday - Sunday. So that gives me 10 days until I have to face the world again.

I set myself up with what I consider to be as ideal a situation as possible. I have rented a hotel room for 9 nights and I managed to get way more than enough benzo's to help me with sleep and anxiety. I have taken Xanax on a number of occasions and I really don't care for it beyond it helping me sleep so I don't need any warnings on the dangers of taking them.

What I could use is some positive encouragement and perhaps some advice from those who have gone through this before. I have a few concerns/questions.

Also - I tapered from taking 8mg a day in December down to my current dose of between .5 - .75 mg a day, that is pretty much what I will be jumping off from now.

1. I recently had some amazing luck and managed to get a hold of 19 1mg alprazolam. I know that is a lot. I know that I had a lot of anxiety last time but the sleep problem is the worst. Is taking 1 or 2mg a day for 10 days enough to really have any type of withdrawal from them? Any particular way I should approach taking them or just take them as needed? My thoughts were to break them in half and try to limit it to just before bed.
    (Yes I know this is a Suboxone thread but I am just curious on opinions of this)

2. What have people found to be the worst day of withdrawal from Suboxone? What day was it that you had what you would consider a day you felt pretty well again?

3. Anyone have any decent links or info on what types of food or nutrition can be helpful in going through withdrawal.

4. Really any words of encouragement or helpful information or even links would be great.

5. Thanks for reading.

Patrick ..... having spent two years or so on subs you may have a little trouble over a ten day detox. I would expect it to last longer. Not saying that you can't handle it, but some of the symptoms could realistically last for up to month even jumping from .5 - .75mg a day. That is a high dose to jump from. I normally advise people to get down to under .25mg, even down to .125mg or less if they are jumping off cold.

You can expect to feel some depression, feel like you weigh a ton finding it almost impossible to get up out of the bed or off the couch, totally shut off from communicating with anyone, basically totally isolated emotionally and also experiencing some unpleasant body aches and such. Trust me this isn't going to be fun. I would surely recommend that you taper further before doing this. I'll be happy to help you, I've done this for years. Let me know if you want my help.

If you insist on doing this I am giving you a link to the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d. The ingredients will help you some doing this. I would get something like a few soma or flexeril for body aches to add to the link below, drink some really good protein shakes, get some exercise and pray if you are so inclined. Let us know how we can help you. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-21-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    surfdog likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Spmex7 is offline New Member

I was on suboxone for 10 months at 8-12mg a day i tapered down to 4mg a day and stopped, and honestly had very little withdrawl symptoms due to clonadine. Now most people would tell u that i was crazy but it honestly depends on the person and the right mind set. the past few times i tried to quit i was bed ridden puking my guts out but i believe this time was different because i was determined to not be on this horrible drug, i say that because in my opinion i shouldnt of been on it as long as i was if or ever, but it is possible and im going on 40 days clean but i still can barely sleep is my only problem and no over the counter sleep aids help me but im sure its not the same for everyone. So i wish u good luck and u can and will stop but u yourself need to be ready or it makes it alot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Patrick ..... having spent two years or so on subs you may have a little trouble over a ten day detox. I would expect it to last longer. Not saying that you can't handle it, but some of the symptoms could realistically last for up to month even jumping from .5 - .75mg a day. That is a high dose to jump from. I normally advise people to get down to under .25mg, even down to .125mg or less if they are jumping off cold.

You can expect to feel some depression, feel like you weigh a ton finding it almost impossible to get up out of the bed or off the couch, totally shut off from communicating with anyone, basically totally isolated emotionally and also experiencing some unpleasant body aches and such. Trust me this isn't going to be fun. I would surely recommend that you taper further before doing this. I'll be happy to help you, I've done this for years. Let me know if you want my help.

If you insist on doing this I am giving you a link to the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d. The ingredients will help you some doing this. I would get something like a few soma or flexeril for body aches to add to the link below, drink some really good protein shakes, get some exercise and pray if you are so inclined. Let us know how we can help you. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. I planned this out for the week because unfortunately it was the only possible time with my job and I've already told people that this is a "business trip". I did research on trying to get down to .25 but it didn't work out that way. I think I needed another week or two...the smaller doses are a lot harder to taper down from than the larger ones - that is for sure.

I actually do attend a 12 step program and have worked through the steps and continue to go to meetings 5-7 times a week. Few people other than my sponsor no what is going on with me but at least one person does so I'm not totally alone in this. Plus posted here and getting a reply from you has helped a lot. Keep in mind I do have experience with trying last summer and I made it to day 4 which for me was the worst day I had experienced. I experienced the exact things you mentioned, which is why I knew I would have to come up with some way to get away from work and the relationship I'm in. For me the worst side effect as it pertains to a relationship is the hypersensitivity. Both emotionally and physically. I am completely and utterly revolted by being intimate and I cry at stuff I would probably not even shed a tear for when I was going through this last time.

My intention is to either create a thread with my progress or continue posting in this one to both help myself and to hopefully give others hope if possible. I really want to be done with this, I hate having to live in this one last lie - and living in fear of someone finding out and the fear of being sick. There is no doubt that I am going to be praying a lot.

I definitely plan on doing what I can with the stuff in the Thomas Recipe, thanks Robert. I do understand that the symptoms will likely last longer than 10 days but I'm at least hoping I will be past the worst of it.
    What day is typically the worst day? I really hope its day 4 because that sucked last time =/
    Last edited by PatrickB; 05-22-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Spmex7,

Also wanted to thank you as well. If you can do it on 4mg than I feel a little more hopefully that I too can make it through at my current dose. And I am right with you on having the right attitude. I feel like I've definitely got it at this point.

But damn, 40 days and can barely sleep that sucks I hope that you find yourself getting a full night's rest soon!

Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply and the link. I planned this out for the week because unfortunately it was the only possible time with my job and I've already told people that this is a "business trip". I did research on trying to get down to .25 but it didn't work out that way. I think I needed another week or two...the smaller doses are a lot harder to taper down from than the larger ones - that is for sure.

I actually do attend a 12 step program and have worked through the steps and continue to go to meetings 5-7 times a week. Few people other than my sponsor no what is going on with me but at least one person does so I'm not totally alone in this. Plus posted here and getting a reply from you has helped a lot. Keep in mind I do have experience with trying last summer and I made it to day 4 which for me was the worst day I had experienced. I experienced the exact things you mentioned, which is why I knew I would have to come up with some way to get away from work and the relationship I'm in. For me the worst side effect as it pertains to a relationship is the hypersensitivity. Both emotionally and physically. I am completely and utterly revolted by being intimate and I cry at stuff I would probably not even shed a tear for when I was going through this last time.

My intention is to either create a thread with my progress or continue posting in this one to both help myself and to hopefully give others hope if possible. I really want to be done with this, I hate having to live in this one last lie - and living in fear of someone finding out and the fear of being sick. There is no doubt that I am going to be praying a lot.

I definitely plan on doing what I can with the stuff in the Thomas Recipe, thanks Robert. I do understand that the symptoms will likely last longer than 10 days but I'm at least hoping I will be past the worst of it.
    What day is typically the worst day? I really hope its day 4 because that sucked last time =/

Patrick ..... You certainly have a good attitude and I feel better knowing you have your sponsor's support and that you're involved in recovery meetings most every day. You have a big jump start on all this with all those positives working in your behalf.

Just post directly to me right here on this thread. I have subscribed to this thread so each time you post I'll receive an email from drugs.com and see your post immediately less the time I'm away from the computer. Let me know when you begin and how the symptoms are affecting you. I always have a few tricks up my sleeve for most symptoms and I'll do my best to help you get through this as quickly as you possibly can. Keep me posted on what's happening. You're also in my prayers! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks Robert and thank you for the prayers as well. My journey begins this weekend and I will likely start posting around the 48 hour mark. God bless.

I am not in withdrawal or anything yet but I have quite a bit of anxiety going on. It's actually not all bad through, it's more of the I can't wait until I am checked into the hotel and comfortable in my surroundings. And I just cannot wait for the worst parts to be behind me. I know I have to take it a day or even a moment at a time. I took a last .25 mg yesterday at 4PM. I have nothing left to fall back on now which is honestly how I would prefer it.
    Robert_325 likes this.

Being that the .25 was a bit lower than what I usually take. I already find myself tired and yawning but happy to finally begin this process. 27 hours and counting. I feel overly emotional and sensitive. I was listening to music on the way down and I actually cried a bit something I do not really do all that much. This is it, I am finally working towards freedom.

Patrick

Fell asleep early last night was exhausted. Woke up early and rolled around in bed forever. Woke up showered, took my vitamins and ate a protein bar for breakfast. Feeling tired but not completely crippled at the moment. Not really sure what to do with my day but I'm trying to stay in the day and be thankful I'm not really that bad at all. I know last time day 3 and 4 were worse so I'm trying to keep my mind from wandering ahead. 47 hours and counting...

Anonymous Guest

you will be ok mate.. you were on a low dose... i was able to jump from there too. yes day 3 may be the peak, but remember it is nowhere near as intense as 'normal withdrawls' if you can call it that.
    you may need something to help you sleep, i found that helped me..

keeping busy and positive are the main things..

YOU CAN DO THIS MATE.... counting with you... good on ya mate
    surfdog likes this.

Thank you your words of encouragement help more than you know. 69 hours and counting not as bad as i thought just low energy and trying to keep busy. definitely going to take some xanax to hopefully aid sleep. i tossed and turned all night last night but i somehow resisted taking anything.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Patrick you can do this with Robert and cheeky on your side you have an advantage from the get go. I know very little about subs so I'll confine myself to encouragement and prayer. Use your sponsor you are not alone in this we all want to help you will be in my prayers God Bless Surfdog

Thanks Surfdog. I am on day 4 93 hours...wow that seems like such a long time. I can't be 100% sure but if i had to guess I would say that i actually feel a little bit better today. Its really hard to say. I don't feel great but I really don't feel that bad. I really am starting to think the right mindset goes a long way...of course tapering down from where I last tried definitely must have helped too. I am just hoping and praying that each days gets a little bit better.
    Robert_325 likes this.

It will trust Robert & Cheeky they know what they are doing, worst may be over, you can do this. Nothing to lose but misery and everything to gain. Attitude plays a big role hang tough Surfdog

Thanks Surfdog. I am on day 4 93 hours...wow that seems like such a long time. I can't be 100% sure but if i had to guess I would say that i actually feel a little bit better today. Its really hard to say. I don't feel great but I really don't feel that bad. I really am starting to think the right mindset goes a long way...of course tapering down from where I last tried definitely must have helped too. I am just hoping and praying that each days gets a little bit better.

Hey Patrick ..... you have turned the corner my friend! It will just get better each day from here on out! Proud of you buddy! God bless.

Day 5 now. Definitely better than yesterday. I have been eating healthier than I probably ever have - mainly due to my own personal experience with the beginning of sub withdrawal and the fact that I have no way to cook food here. I know that if I hadn't taken anything and would start feeling tired, eating poorly would make me feel as if I needed to take more.

The only real thing that is bothering me is that I can't seem to stay asleep for very long. I can fall asleep with the assistance of Xanax but I hate the idea of popping anymore than 1 of them a day. Hadn't actually needed Immodium until this morning which I found odd and different than last time. Being alone in a hotel is kind of boring but this laptop + netflix is a life saver. I actually looked up where there was a park and went for a walk there but annoying biting flies there = not fun but I got like 20 minutes in and I was actually lightly jogging because the flies were .

Anyway I am rambling...perhaps because I am feeling better. Definitely not 100% but once again a little better than yesterday.

Thanks all for the support, to be honest this was no where near as bad as my last attempt when I was at around 5mg. There is a WORLD of difference. Although I wasn't able to taper down to .25 and start skipping. I had been taking approx .75 and sometimes lower for a few weeks straight before I jumped off. Although as recently as December I was taking up to 12 (usually 8) a day.

I am going to keep updating once a day until I finally head home and then I'm sure again somewhere during the work week =).
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Been a full week and 9 minutes since the last .25 mg of Suboxone. I feel better slowly but surely. Definitely not 100% but certainly not bad at all. I'm just looking forward to getting on with life, continuing to stay clean and sober.

Pat you have done well proud FOR you God Bless Surfdog

Day 11 today. Don't have as much energy and motivation as I would care for but happy to not have any cravings at all. Stopped taking the Xanax 3 days ago but having a little difficulty both falling and staying asleep when I'm usually a heavy sleeper.

I'm guessing I just need to hang in there and eventually my sleep will return back to normal? Not sure what else I can do for the energy. Been taking vitamins and eating the best I can.

After two years of daily use, I am not really sure what to expect in terms of how long it will take to feel 100%. Fortunately each day seems to get better though.

Yesterday felt epicly long. I had pretty low energy and the day seemed to just drag on. Today is lucky number 13 for me. Feels like it's been longer. Just looking forward to the weekend now. I can function at work just fine but it certainly is a lot better when I'm at home. But at least I know that a good part of it is just mental. The fact that I'm stuck having to actually do stuff instead of being able to relax and do whatever I want makes me think I'm feeling worse than I am.

I went back and read Robert's first post...so I should expect this to last roughly up to a month before I'm mostly back to normal? I can live with that. I'd say I feel about 85% - 90% most days. Hard to drag myself out of bed in the mornings but again each day slowly gets better.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and support.

Patrick

Day 15. Feeling pretty alright considering how early I had to get up this morning. Weekend is almost here so I should hopefully have two more quick and relaxing days under my belt. I'm actually pretty excited that I have a pretty good amount of energy during the day. Got all sorts of things I want to accomplish this weekend. Still definitely not 100% with the sleeping, a little bit on the cold side at times, slightly sensitive and still have the occasional sneeze but today is the first day the sneezing has cut down significantly. No where to go but up from here!
    Robert_325 likes this.

You're doing great Patrick! Hang in there buddy! God bless.

Thanks Robert. I slept through the entire night the past 2 nights. The sensitivity problem is back to normal. I haven't sneezed once yet today. I would have to say that I feel really good today for a Monday. I think my brain/body are still adjusting and I get brief periods where I feel tired but overall I feel great. I can't believe that I made it through this and without any desire to get high!
    Robert_325 likes this.

Pat feel good on a Monday? you are getting better hang tight man surfdog
    Robert_325 and toni.s. like this.

Day 20! I slept through the entire night without waking up. Feeling really good today, continuing to take vitamins and try and eat healthy. Back into the swing of things again with meetings and what not. I don't think there's too much else I'll be posting unless for some crazy reason things get worse. Don't have any cravings or desire to use at all. Finally the one thing that I wanted for the past 2 year, freedom from dependence on any medications.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Hey Patrick
    This is inspiring man. I'm so happy and proud of you (and a bit envioius) in a good way! Keep up the good work, your free now. Guess it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be? Sub is the last medicine I'm on, I was on 12 different RX meds at 21 years old. Hence my screename...lol. I'm down to one, Sub, and I'm overly anxious to KICK IT! I'm tapering, AGAIN. Doing well. Man I'm so happy for you. Good job. Consider yourself lucky you could get away for those days and just focus on kicking. I have a four year old, one on the way, full time job and I just can't leave for two weeks right now. You have no idea how much I'd love to lock myself in a detox and climb the damn walls! LOL. I'm happy for you, now don't do it again!!!! LOL You only have to do this ONCE!

Thank you =). I basically took a full week of vacation from work with my last day taking anything being a Thursday so when it was time to return to work it was day 11. That is definitely a tough situation that you are in with a young child and another on the way. I'm glad to here you are doing well though.

Also keep in mind that I didn't fully follow Robert's taper plan (mainly because I didn't read it until a few days before I left lol). I'm not sure where you're at now in cutting back but if you can get down to .25 and skipping multiple days then hopefully it won't be so bad - I know from the .75 or so that I jumped off from it wasn't too bad, but you are right - having the time off helped me immensely.

I got my coin for 2 years clean from alcohol, H and other mind altering substances. So much more joy this year than last year. Part of me felt like a fraud for being on medication last year, but I do realize that even with the medication, I could have drank or used any other number of substances I used to use, but I didn't.

Today is 26 days removed from Suboxone, thanks to working the 12 steps and applying it to my life, my life is way better than it was 2 years ago. It's just a freaking miracle all the stuff that has happened to me and the thigns that have changed. I haven't had a thought of using or drinking. I have felt 100% all week. This freedom is a gift - not just from suboxone but from the obsession to drink and get high.

Kristen1022 is offline Member

Just read your thread. Thanks for blogging so consistently. It helps!

I know you commented on mine the other day. Today is Day 4 for me. I feel like I am freaking out because I have vacation with a huge group of my friends in a few weeks. 13 days to be exact. I feel like I am not going to be able to have any fun! I feel like I am going to feel like this, no good. If we were leaving tomorrow, I'd say, sorry buddy, but that $400 ticket is going to waste. It's that unpleasant.

The worst part of it all, and I am simply mirroring the last post I put on my thread if you care to take a look, but the worst part is the fact that I feel like I'm still getting worse. Today feels worse then yesterday.

I jumped off at 1 mg. I was having a hard time tapering for the 3rd or 4th time. First day, I definitely felt pretty bad. But, day 2 and 3...They felt so good. I thought I was in the clear, but today. Today is no good.

I, too, took Xanax the last two nights and yesterday, I've been taking halves. Today I feel extra emotional. I'm not sure if this is from the xanax and the withdrawal or what.

Come read my thread. Speak to me.
    When did you finally feel like life was manageable again?
    I feel like this is going to drag on and on and on.
    Also. I have 5 days off work. Today being my 3rd day off. I am DREADING work on Sunday. I don't think it will be possible at this point.
    Last edited by Kristen1022; 06-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.