Provigil vs. Nuvigil
    madhattersbash is offline New Member

Question Provigil vs. Nuvigil

I have been on Provigil for over four years now and it works well, but is getting more and more expensive!
    Is anyone on Nuvigil who has also taken Provigil in the past, and can tell me the differences in them? Do they work equally well? Is Nuvigil less expensive? Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.

brandob is offline New Member

Nuvigil is the most recent version of Provigil, so it will not be cheaper, but almost certainly more expensive. I'm having trouble affording my Nuvigil prescription since my insurance changed at the beginning of the year. My psychiatrist got me a discount card that reduces my co-payment by $50, so that helps quite a bit.

I've never tried Provigil so I can't say there is any difference in how they work. My psychiatrist thinks that in a blind study, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between how the two work. By the by, the drug maker of Provigil is losing its monopoly on Provigil next year, so there should be a generic available then.

madhattersbash is offline New Member

Thank you for your reply. I got a drug card to use with Nuvigil, but the best it did was decrease the amount I pay BY $50.00--not DOWN to only $50.00! So, I am still paying around $300.00 a month for 30 pills. On Provigil, it was costing me $550.00 a month! Thanks for the info about Provigil losing their patent. I will check this out.

teachingmama is offline New Member

Nuvigil... what a fantastic medication this is for me! I also have found that I can hardly afford the cost of my Nuvigil. I was without it for a few days and now realize what a wonderful medication it is for me. I am so frustrated that my insurance company refuses to pay for the amount of it that is necessary for me to lead a normal life (not sleeping 20/24 hours in a day).

shawn5 is offline Banned

Nice comparison of both are shared here,..but i think that Nuvigil was better option,..

Blessed72 is offline New Member

Default Provigil vs Nuvigil

I have been on and off Provigil 100 - 200mg for at least 4 yrs. I have side effects of headache, heart racing, appetite suppression and diarrhea. I have less side effects if I take it later in the day, with food and some motrin but that defeats the point. My neurologist prescribed Provigil for my fatigue associated with the disease MS that I have. Provigil is wonderful but since I never know if or what side effect is going to happen it can take a good day and make it a not so good day so today my neurologist told me to take some samples of Nuvigil 150mg and try them to see if there is a difference for me. I took one right after my appointment this morning about 11:30 and as of 7:00pm NO SIDE EFFECTS! Plus, It still does the job like the Provigil did. Now I know it's only been one day so I will report back on the long term use. I don't know of yet what insurance is going to do. I know it took a good bit of doing to have them cover the Provigil at all since it is predominately for narcolepsy but studies have shown it beneficial for those with Multiple Sclerosis.