Pregnant, taking Lortab and Ambien.
    futuremommy is offline New Member

Default Pregnant, taking Lortab and Ambien.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this board, but it seems like everyone is helpful, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I used to be an athlete, broke/tore almost everything, had many surgeries with more to go, and now I take Lortab 10/500 four times a day and Ambien to sleep at night. This has been my schedule for about 3 years.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered I was pregnant. So with Mom's advice, I scheduled to see an OB-GYN. He did an ultrasound, told me I was 12 weeks, but seemed to be in a hurry and rushed out. I didn't get a chance to ask him about the medicines I was taking.

I tried to look up info online and I got conflicting information. So sites said it was Ok to take while pregnant, some sites said that it is bad for the baby and should not be taken, and some sites said if you stop taking it while you are pregnant, it could result in miscarriage. I DEFINITELY don't want that to happen.

So, I decided to ask my pharmacist one day when the store was not busy. Usally there is a nice lady there, that I know, but this guy must have been new, because I hadn't seen him there before. He looked at me like I was crazy and said " Why would you do that to your baby! Nothing is safe to take except Tylenol! The baby does not deserve to have those medicines fed to him". I then told him that I don't mind if I stop taking them, but I feel sick on the days that I don't take them. He then began to talk to me like a child (a 3 year old) and said "You can get addicted to that stuff. Once you take it, you can't stop. Have you ever heard of "Rush Limbock"? He was taking 'Oxy-crack' and was all in the news"! I told him I had never heard of him. He said with a mean stiffled laugh "Well, there are billboards all over about people on Oxy-crack! What all are you taking?!" Terrified, I then gave him my name and information, so he could look it up. He read down the list of everything I had EVER taken. He loudly said "hmmm....Acyclovir, Allegra, Ambien, Amoxicillin, Flagyl, Lortab, Naproxen, Retin A, and Tylenol 3. Well, I guess I don't see 'Oxy-crack', but what you are taking is bad enough! I see you faithfully get a refill of Ambien and Lortab every month. Tell me this, I don't ever see where you had a script for birth control. Ever think about that?"

At this point, I was embarrassed, offended, and feelings were hurt, so I thanked him and promptly left. I felt like I was lower than low and the worst person on earth. I have tried to be a good person, I have never tried a ciggarette, never drank, don't like to cuss (but I will if pushed). I know I started sex at an early age, but it has been with the same person, and he told me he was sterile and couldn't get anybody pregnant. I'm not running around sleeping with everyone in town. I have never been in trouble with the law. I didn't know that I was pregnant, but I don't want to hurt the baby in anyway. I'm also scared to talk to anybody else, ESPECIALLY my doctor, because he seems to be a joker too.

A friend told me to go to one of those pain management places, but I'm told if you go to any of these pain management places, they will help, but they will treat you like a criminal. I am terrified to talk to anybody else. Is there somebody I can call and talk to over the phone, without them thinking I am an evil person who is purposely endangering my child. I don't want anyone to threaten to take my child either, and someone said that is what could happen if I continue to take it througout the pregnancy. I'm lost, confused, and don't know what to do. I have never been in this situation before. I do pray, but I need someone physical to answer me and give the right advice.

sky7228 is offline Member

I am just in shock that he would have the nerve to treat you that way. If he named off all of your meds loud enough for other customers to hear then he has violated Hippa Laws and should be reported to his manager. Okay I am not a doctor and I believe you should call your docs office right now and talk with his nurse about your meds and have them tell you what to do from here. Now, while I was pregnant I did take lortab and then percs for a cracked rib. My OBGYN gave them to me and he told me that the drug did pass to the child but taken right they shouldnt have any effects...and they didnt. I gave birth to a healthy baby. My OBGYN also gave me ambien during my 3rd trimester. I am sure your doctor can come up with a plan to help you wean off them safely or if he may feel staying on them is better for you. Regardless you need to speak with you doctor soon. Good luck with your pregnancy!! and Congrats!!!

Anonymous Guest

YOu need to report that pharmacist. He is violating HIPPA laws. Report him to the pharmacy manager and also get the district managers name and number. That always works...trust me on this one. That was not right. That pharmacist needs a good a** kicking if you ask me...

Also I know at least 4 women that have taken Norco during pregnancy. All there babies turned out just fine. As a matter fact one of them just had one. She emailed me the pics yesterday and he is just as cute as can be. What are you taking them for? Is this your first pregnancy? The medical rule of thumb is "better safe than sorry" so thats bascially why they tell you to stay away from everything. But at the same time you gotta live your life too. I would talk to your OBGYN about this. Although he/she might be highly against it.(some are,some aren't) Just be completely honest about what you take and why. Try not to stress out about this ok?

BTW....congradulations on your new baby...

email me if you wanna talk more: krissybaby81@gmail.com

Krissy

futuremommy is offline New Member

Smile

Thank you sky7228 and Krissybaby for your replies and well wishes. I think you guys are right about that pharmacist violating some law. Even if it is only the law of politeness.

Well, it makes me feel A LOT better knowing that there are women out there who have taken these medicines and it has not harmed the baby. That is an answer to my prayers!

I did go to my new OBGYN, and I did explain to him what my family doctor had prescribed me. Surprisingly, he took a completely different attitude than the pharmacist. He was very nice, and before we even went into what I was taking, he looked at my chart and said "My, you must have been some athlete with all these painful injuries."

That allowed me to smootly transition into talking to him about it. He was very nice and said that Ambien is "Class B" and will not harm the baby. He said that the Lortab is "Class C" and it is ok to take when needed, just make sure I don't take it the months before giving birth, because the baby may have breathing problems at delivery and will be used to the medicine and want some more when it is born and go through withdrawals when it doesn't get it.

Now, I can sleep at night. Again, thank you for the wonderful advice.

tarynlsw is offline New Member

Hi future mommy,
    I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but when I was pregnant with my little girl last year my doctor prescribed to lortab because I have chronic migraines, it is the only thing that kind of helped me. My baby girl is one now and has been completely healthy from the very day she was born. I can't tell you on the ambien, but I do know that you can take Unisom while you are pregnant to help you sleep. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck with all

leowd is offline Junior Member

Congrats futuremommy!!! It's good to read a happy 'med-ending'!