Pregnancy and Suboxone
    kandi21kjhj is offline New Member

Default Pregnancy and Suboxone

I have already started tapering. I am at 2mg a day, or every other day. I can't say that I feel any symptoms, because I just found out today that I am pregnant. I have no idea how far along. Most likely 5 weeks or so. So, I just basically want all the info I can get about pregnancy, tapering and personal stories of this. Thanks for all your help. Also, before I have stopped taking my Suboxone for like 4 to 5 days and had no symptoms. This was at 4mgs a day. Anyways, what should I do?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Talk to the OBGYN. You won't be their first opiate-dependent patient. It's actually safer for the baby for you to stay on the subs vs w/d symptoms from detoxing. Talk to the dr. Let us know. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

The only problem is I don't see the Sub Dr anymore. I am on my last script and I have already made it last three months, whereas it would only last a month before. I have already started tapering, and my fiance doesn't know I am still on it.

I'm sorry but I can't help all that business with your fiance. I'm telling you what is best for the baby. You'll have to work things out with your fiance. That isn't anything I have any control over.

You need to tell your OBGYN about the subs. I surely wouldn't want my fiance to be pregnant and taking subs and keeping it from me. I'm telling you what is best for your baby. You'll have to handle the rest yourself.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be hardcore. I just can't control what you've shared with your boyfriend and what you haven't. This is too important to worry about making your fiance mad. He'll get over it.

You have NO BUSINESS doing a cold turkey from 2mg especially while you're pregnant. I know that I am right about this. The reason you didn't get sick when you skipped days before is because subs have such a long half life. It can be days before you ever feel a w/d symptom. And they are NOT good for your baby.

Let me know how it goes. I really do care about your baby. That's why I'm giving you the advice I am giving. You and your boyfriend aren't the ones who are important here. It's the baby's well-being that I am focused on. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ewysiwg is offline New Member

Hello there, I disagree that this is not about you and your fiancee. It needs to be about all three of you: you, baby and fiancee.

I understand your reluctance to tell your fiance. Trust me: been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

However, Robert is telling you the truth. The worst thing you can do for this baby is to go cold turkey and keep the info from your OB-Gyn & fiancee. Worst case scenario is that you miscarry due to the withdrawal (yes, that can happen & if you need confirmation, Google is your key). Or, your baby could have developmental problems ESPECIALLY if you undergo withdrawal during first trimester.

I know you are afraid your fiancee will be angry that you told him you were off the Suboxone; however, how angry would he be, and how guilty would you feel, if you lost the baby because you were too afraid to tell him and your OB/G about the meds? I can promise you that the OB will understand. If they don't - you need a new one. I can't promise you what will happen with your fiancee, but for the sake of your baby everyone needs to know the full picture to make the right decision.

I don't mean to scare you but the only thing that is not an option here is for you to go cold turkey off the Suboxone and to hide this from your fiancee and doc. You know what - you have a problem. But you are not a bad person because of this problem. You are a good person by doing the next right thing when faced with a difficult situation.

I never said I was jumping off at 2mg. I said I had already started tapering. That was before I even knew I was pregnant. And no I'm not going to tell him. I can't. I want was is best for this baby too, but I can't do it on my own and that is exactly what would happen if he knew. Me and baby on our own. I did find out I am 8 weeks. I had an ultrasound and the baby is doing great. Heartbeat is really strong. I am just taking crumbs of suboxone now. And yes I know about the half life of suboxone. After 5 days of not taking anything at taking 4mg a day, I should have felt some symptoms. I don't plan on going all the way off suboxone until my second trimester. 1 pill lasts me like 12 days or so, and I know I have enough left in the pharmacy to make it to my second trimester. I plan on just taking it if I feel any symptoms and then increasing the time between those doses. I have read so much about this you have no idea. I have even looked all this up in my nursing books. All I wanted was some info from you all or really someone who has been there. Not to put me down.

No one is putting you down. People are expressing concern for your baby. How is that putting you down? That baby is the one who is important here.

Lots of drs give the wrong advice about subs all the time. That is a FACT. If you choose to taper down while pregnant it's your decision and it's your conscience. That baby is better off with you maintaining your sub dose and allowing the dr to taper off the baby after the delivery. That is a fact too! It's your call however and you will do what you think is right.

Hope that you make the right choice. God bless.

I don't go to the sub doctor anymore and I don't have insurance anymore either and we all kno how expensive they are without insurance. I have no choice. I have probably enough to put me into the second trimester. That is it. Don't think I don't care about this baby. I had a miscarriage last year. I know the cost. I want this baby more than anything. But financially I can't even stay on the suboxone. I can't even get an appointment with the dr anymore they aren't accepting patients. And tapering off during pregnancy happens with a lot of narcs just usually the third trimester, so that you don't have a baby with withdrawal symptoms. I don't want a baby to have withdrawal symptoms. If I can taper off with no symptoms or minimal symptoms its a lot better then having a baby born addicted to narcs.

blackrainbow is offline Junior Member

Smile

kandi21kjhj

I can see myself everyone here is genuinely expressing concern. Because you have this other life growing inside. Like it or not we are responsible for that life that grows its our job to protect and make the best choice for the child always rather than ourselves. Some moms just don't get that, Like the ones walking around in designer ugg boots and a warm biggo jacket while their kiddo walks the streets in a tank top in below freezing weather cond. However about telling your fiance in all honesty its your choice... "I am free myself by my own doing" My significant other knew nothing and well doesn't. He is a heavy narcotic user himself. Went through a 30 day supply of oxycodone and percs in 15 days ended up at the hospital for severe withdrawal. He is in denial about his probs. I struggle everyday putting up with someone and it's hard. At least I knew I had a minor prob and wanted treatment. He says you don't understand etc.... Maybe I did more than he knew. But at least I wanted to stop. So I live with someone who keeps percs in the house and harder ones. Makes everyday sooooooooo much more challenging. I am doing it though. However if it is his baby he has a say in this too. Your carrying it though which puts you kinda in charge of things. Whatever you do or say will have to go. Kinda see it in a perspective of put your child first.. Maybe you cannot always do the right thing but you can do the best given the current situation. They have free programs and if you go to any hospital ER they have to treat you insurance or not and no cash basis. Good Luck* and def take care of that baby!

Default No withdrawal, of the bad stuff..

I stopped taking crumbs a week ago today. I had minor diarrhea which I took one of those liquid deals. I did get a little anxious but that could have been in my head. A little trouble sleeping a few nights, but I've been like that my whole life. And a little RLS, but other than that, honestly I feel fine. Just tired...lol But that's being pregnant I guess. I'm sorry if maybe I disappointed you all or was mean with my words.

LaPalma is offline New Member

I'm in pretty much the same predicament that kandi was in at the beginning of this post. I'm on 2 mg suboxone and about 7 weeks pregnant. I talked to my suboxone counselor today and he told me that I needed to get a prescription from the doctor for subutex ASAP, but I didn't have enough money to pay so the doctor turned me away. (American healthcare at its finest). Now I'm stuck with about 20 suboxone left in my prescription and I really don't want to be on anything at all. Is it safer to taper off completely in the second trimester? Will you let me know if you experience any adverse effects? This thread has been the most helpful so far. Thanks.

Subx32 is offline New Member

Because you are pregnant you are a high priority patient and can get jumped in line to get in w a doctor. My last script was almost 6 mos ago, I too got my last script as I found out I was pregnant and don't want my state s social services involved, my husbands family has zero idea of my past, and I tapered for as long as I could. 4 docs, including 2 psych/Suboxone docs, my primary care and my OBGYN, plus a few midwives, have all told me that because I was on such a low dose, 1.5-2 mg/daily, that the naltrexone piece of Suboxone, the drug they're not sure is dangerous or not w such little research being conducted, is so low I could get off 100% slowly and comfortably during my 2 tri or, even better, the 3rd, when the baby is strongest and the chance if miscarraige is least. It's the higher doses, over 4 mg/day that are so dangerous and they typically want you to switch over to methadone if you're body is that opiate dependent.

Rachel8066 is offline New Member

Default Are you serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    No one is putting you down. People are expressing concern for your baby. How is that putting you down? That baby is the one who is important here.

Lots of drs give the wrong advice about subs all the time. That is a FACT. If you choose to taper down while pregnant it's your decision and it's your conscience. That baby is better off with you maintaining your sub dose and allowing the dr to taper off the baby after the delivery. That is a fact too! It's your call however and you will do what you think is right.

Hope that you make the right choice. God bless.
    Ok..I am currently looking up information on how subs effect pregnancy because I'm 7 weeks..and I've been on suboxone..but as soon as I found out I was pregnant..I knew there's no way I'm staying on this..I'm now down to 2 mg a day sometimes even 1 mg..I came across this post and must say its the most selfish ..stupid..post I have read yet!! To say that she should remain at her current dose..is ridiculous because SIDS has been associated with suboxone use..if she is tapering off the right way then there will be no withdrawal..the worst thing said in your post is that they can taper off the baby!!!! Are you kidding me? So because you don't wanna feel any withdrawal let the lil baby go through it..that's just terrible..I would NEVER EVER want my lil one to have to go through anything like that!! That's the whole point we don't want our babies to come out having symptoms of withdrawal..so I say keep doing what your doing..eat right..take your vitamin..and taper off..and don't listen to ignorance

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

First of all, don't be too harsh on the poster. Many people have successfully weaned off of suboxone during pregnancy. But here's the catch: 1. you are going about this willy-nilly. 2mg. here, 1mg. there. You need a safe and effective taper that is stable. You are setting yourself up for failure. 2. YOUR DOCTOR NEEDS TO DIRECT THAT TAPER. 3. "if you taper right there will be no w/d." is nonsense. You can minimize w/d, but most people go through some w/d especially at the smaller doses. I'm not sure how sub w/d will effect your baby in utero. GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.

This is a standard sub reduction used here. You may want to present this to your DOCTOR.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

In other words, what you are undertaking by yourself is foolish. You need a doctor's supervision, plain and simple. Subs are an opiate. You may want to post in the suboxone forum and perhaps someone can give you better info than I can. 1-2mg. of sub IS a high dose. It normally takes someone a good 2 months to wean from that amount. GET YOUR DOCTOR INVOLVED.

Peace,

Iloerose