Paxil Dependency

Default Paxil Dependency

Actually, this isn't Betsea, this is her boyfriend. I have been taking Paxil for two years and now I want to stop. The reason is simple - I don't have a perscription drug plan, so it's getting pricey. Also, it seems to decrease my sexual desire and performance.
    The problem is the withdrawl symptoms, Every time I miss a dose or two I get these awful "brain zaps". I can't think of what else to call them. Every few moments, my nerves clench all over my body and it feels like my head is going to explode, but for just an instant. As time slowly presses on they get increasingly worse.
    So what do I do?
    I keep taking Paxil. Thats what I do. It's either that or just go back to sleep. I can't go through this and maintain a normal life. So perhaps if anybody has any ideas or suggestions, please let me or Betsy know. Any help would be appreciated.

-Mr. Kilgore (William) Trout

BulldogSpook is offline New Member

Wow do I know the feeling your having! I also take Paxil and when I miss a dose I to get the "zip zaps", its awful. I wish I could tell you how to get off the meds but I have no idea,I want to do the same myself. Like you I just take my pills to avoid the icky zaps. If you or anyone else have advice on getting off Paxil please let me know. I have heard if you try to ween off that works, but how can you do that. I take 1- 40 mg a day. Best of luck [:I]

quote:Originally posted by betsy_still_tokes

Actually, this isn't Betsea, this is her boyfriend. I have been taking Paxil for two years and now I want to stop. The reason is simple - I don't have a perscription drug plan, so it's getting pricey. Also, it seems to decrease my sexual desire and performance.
    The problem is the withdrawl symptoms, Every time I miss a dose or two I get these awful "brain zaps". I can't think of what else to call them. Every few moments, my nerves clench all over my body and it feels like my head is going to explode, but for just an instant. As time slowly presses on they get increasingly worse.
    So what do I do?
    I keep taking Paxil. Thats what I do. It's either that or just go back to sleep. I can't go through this and maintain a normal life. So perhaps if anybody has any ideas or suggestions, please let me or Betsy know. Any help would be appreciated.

MyTeethAreEvil is offline New Member

I was on paxil when I was a teenager.. I was also on it for 2 years.. It did nothing for me, I quit cold turkey, and it wasnt easy..I remember being sick for 2 weeks..

I quit cold turkey w/o knowing that your not s'pose to quit cold turkey..and I swore I'd never go back on a antidepressant, and guess what? I am on lexapro, and from what Ive read lately- much worse to get off of.. I only been on lexapro like a month...I did try to quit it last week cold turkey and on the 4th day I had what I call psychosis

EasyMeds is offline Banned

To get off Paxil you have to go on a long and measured taper period. I don't know what dosage you are on, but ususally with this type of medication you would take your normal dose for 1 day, then the next day take 3/4 of your dose, then the next day take the full dose, etc for a week or 2 depending on how much and how long you have been on it. Then the next drop down is to take 3/4 for a full week. Then the following week (or 2) 3/4 every other day and 1/2 ever other day. Then a week of 1/2. The a week (or 2) of 1/2 every other day and 1/4 every other day. Then a week or 2 of 1/4 a day. then the last week 1/4 ever other day.

It takes a long time to get off of these medications safely and most GPs don't put you on a long enough taper schedule, but a neurologist would put you on an apppropriate taper schedule so you aren't creating a shock to your body and brain.

Casey55 is offline Member

DO NOT stop Paxil cold turkey. It has the shortest half life of all the SSRI's which means it is out of your system very quickly after the last dose and you will be subjecting yourself to some serious withdrawal. As others stated, withdrawal from Paxil is a slow process, tapering the dose slowly over time. It will take at least a few months.

I had to stop cold turkey because I got serotonin syndrome, toxic levels of seratonin, and my life depeneded on it, and I can tell you it was like having 4 cases of the flu on top of each other. I thought I was going to die, which won't happen, but it can be a living hell while you are going through it. I was so sick for two months before it was over. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Make sure you contact your psychiatrist first and they will instruct you the proper way to go about getting off it and monitor you during that process. Done properly, should minimize or eliminate problems with withdrawal. If you can't afford a few more months of Paxil, perhaps your doctor can give you samples.

Good Luck.

pharmvictem is offline New Member

I am in the same boat of pain as many of you are. I have been taking this poison for 7 years now. My new psychiatrist said he does not think Paxil is any good for me and that I need to get off of it. He said it is highly addictive and it will be a long hard process.

He sure was right it has been long and I am still going through it. It will be 6 months before I am completely off of it. He said I will probably still have some withdrawal effects for a few weeks to months after that.

I sure wish that GP I saw when I was 18 would have told me some of these things. 7 years later I have worse anxiety and depression than I had then. The Paxil is worthless and has caused me much suffering. The sexual side effects alone are not worth it.

I seem to have experienced much of the same symptoms as you all have. I could actually hear my eyes moving, cold sweats, constant nightmares, crying spells, irrational worries, nausea and vomiting, upsetting things from the past in dreams that feel so very real, feeling like my body is stuck to the bed and I cannot move or talk, feeling like my heart is beating faster than the speed of light, feeling like I have an electrical charge moving around me.

All throughout school they teach kids how dangerous illegal drugs are yet the legal drugs are some of the most dangerous and addictive. I would much rather get depressed when life is tough and have anxiety attacks than be a slave to Paxil. I have learned the hard way that the cure is worse than the ailment.

Shuff is offline New Member

I am getting off for the second time. You just have to go through the brain zaps-it will end. Paxil has really helped me, but I am much better emotionally now and I hate the weight gain. The last time I quit, I ran and lost 30 pounds in about 2 months. I went from 40-30 for a week and now I am at 20, will probably do this two weeks, then drop again. You have to listen to your body. If you feel like ****, either stay on the dosage you are on longer or up it a bit.
    I promise all of you, the symptoms do end. Good Luck.

depyxis7 is offline New Member

Default Paxil and Blurred vision

It's probably been 2 weeks since I quit my 10 mgs of paxil and still I suffer from blurred vision. Does anyone out there know how long until the side effects go away? I got off the medicine because it seems like the meds were giving me to many side effects.

Paxilslave is offline New Member

Thumbs up Paxil Sucks

Hi all. I;ve been on this ******************** for about 10 years. Gained alot of weight. I was on 20mg p/day. What ya want to do to get off this stuff without losing your mind is ween down by 1 mg every 4 days. The best way to do that is to get paxil in liquid form-that way it is very easy to measure . What I did was get a pill cutter from the drug store and estimated what looked like 1/20th of the pill every 4 days. Now I am not going to stand here and say it was easy-no I was irritable, didn't feel real real good but I was able to function without too much trouble. You need to tell loved ones what you're doing so they know why your irritable. Try to watch comedy like AFV(Americas Funniest Videos)
    or whatever you like. Stay positive-Know you're going to get better and you're doing the right thing. Good luck to all of you. You can do it!

Monkaroo is offline New Member

Thumbs up I used L-Theanine (Amino Acid) to help Withdrawl

I don't know if this will help anyone. I am on 50mg of Paxil a day and just started coming off the stuff 6 days ago by taking 25 mg a day. I was extremely fearful of the withdrawl effects until a health wise friend spoke about using Amino Acids to help with anixety and depression.

I started taking L-Theanine (Amino Acid) by Enzymatic Threapy. It's all natural which regulates Neurotransmitters, Gaba, Dopamine, and serotonin naturally. It occurs naturally in small amounts in green tea. that's why the tea is know to give a sense of well-being etc.

After 6 days on reduced dosage of Paxil, I have experienced minimal to no withdrawl effects from reducing the dosage and actually feel more relaxed and clear headed than ever.

I also take an Amino Acid complex in addition to this one.

What I take in dosage: L-Theanine (2 times daily 100mg in morning and at night). Amino Complex (2 times daily morning and night)

I can't tell you how liberated I feel to be coming off this medication and seeing how much better i'm sleeping and feeling just doing the natural thing. You can get this at Whole Foods or a vitamin store.

I hope this helps someone out there. As always consult your physician.
    Last edited by Monkaroo; 10-27-2009 at 12:35 PM.

kookalinMD is offline Junior Member

Hi...
    I was on Paxil in 2001 for a full year. I moved to WA and had problems/errors with the prescription transferring. So I had the unfortunate experience of getting of my meds "cold turkey" which I absolutely would NOT recommend! I also had the "zaps" along with full body tremors, night sweats, insomnia, uncontrollable crying, fatigue, diahrrea, leg kicking at night...worst "illness" I've had to date.
    I am currently on Zoloft which could have similar withdrawal symptoms. My doctor gave me the following advice for when I am ready to taper off: (I am currently on 150mg/day)
    -for one week take 125 (split it 65 in AM, 65 PM)
    the next week 100 (split 50 in am, 50 PM...continue this way for the following weeks...)
    the next week 75
    the next week 50
    the next week 25
    the next week take 15 every other day

Hopefully that helps. Good luck

kidmonster is offline Junior Member

Paxil (generic) has been good for me over the years, when / if , I ever go off of it, ill be sure to taper, listening to these horror stories

kidmonster is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by betsy_still_tokes View Post
    So what do I do?

Marijana is a problem for me...but Paxil just goes along with it 'cause it relaxes ya in certain situation.s

FearOfDrugs is offline New Member

Hi...I'm not sure if I can help anyone out or not, but it's worth a shot. I took paxcil for just about a little over 6 weeks (maybe 2 months) and then stopped it absolutley about a month ago. I was experiencing some symptoms of depression and my doctor put me on paxcil, which wasn't even at a theraputic dose. So it was wasn't doing anything for me at all, except making me feel more slow. I would have nightmares and feel groggy every morning.

I missed a dose by accident one day and felt so much more energy and thought the hell with this drug. After that day I stopped taking it and felt good for about 2 weeks and then it hit me (during the 2 weeks I was out and about walking, getting air and doing normal tasks).After 2 weeks I started freaking out and having panic attacks. I thought I was dying and would scream and cry, i'd keep telling my mom to help me because I didn't wanna die or feel this way. It was tooo scary to even think back to. I would have this feeling of not existing or being alive (as if you're in the process of dying) strange pains in my body and intense muscle aches. The sharp pains I was feeling would scare my and then i'd think do I have some kind of other sickness, and some people told me cancer patients experience that...I then freaked out thinking oh my god, could I be developing that. Well overall it was the most difficult and horrific experience in my life and I swear I will never take another drug ever again and won't encourage anyone to either.

I am still feeling this way, but I can sense it sort of washing out and myself getting back to normal. But I am scared that it may keep striking now and then and that how long it will take for it to get out of my system? If anyone has some idea to help me out it would be great. I can't imagine myself or anyone else going through this again, it's not good at all...if someone is depressed or has anxiety, try cognitive behavioral therapy or yoga and fight it without drugs. Get yourself active and busy with people. It's not worth it at all. I am experiencing all of this during terrible weather. I just wish no one has to go through it, it's awful.

gone2beach is offline New Member

Remember, with Paxil CR, those pills should NOT be split. See your Dr and get his/her advice.

eternallight24 is offline New Member

you are a lifesaver ! my daughter was on 30mg a day for years even trying to wean her over 6 months did not work ! she suffered what I call psychotic mania episodes ! if she wasn't suffering from nausea & vomiting she was Rude ! irritable, cranky & just plain MEAN !! I went out and bought this when I saw it I was desperate willing to try anything and I will tell you I noticed a difference within hours ! her Intensive In Home Counselor who did not know I had given her anything also noticed I am going to try it with my son next who takes Zoloft both are on the autistic spectrum