Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Paxil
    matty6string is offline New Member

Default Paxil

Paxil
    Generic Name: paroxetine
    Treatment for: depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder (social phobia), posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Have you taken or do you take Paxil?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/paxil.html
    Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/paxil.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Casey55 is offline Member

Hi Matty,

I took Paxil 60mgs for 5 years, from 1996-2000. I was also on Luvox, one of the other SSRI's. I had no problem taking the two for those 5 years. The Paxil didn't do anything for my depression, but as soon as I started taking it my anxiety went way down. After taking it full strength for 5 years, I got really sick and it turned out I had Seratonin Syndrome which means I was at toxic levels and I had to come off one of them immediately. I was totally aware that Paxil can have very bad withdrawal if stopped abruptly, but I really needed the Luvox more, so I went into what is called Paxil Flu on top of the Seratonin Syndrome. It was like having 5 cases of the flu at once. I was never so sick in my life. It lasted two months, I just laid in bed and rocked.

So DO NOT stop Paxil cold turkey, whatever you do. Of all the 6 SSRI's Paxil has the worst withdrawal because it has the shortest half life. That is why when you missed a few days dosage you started to go into withdrawal.

To answer your question about switching from Paxil to Lexapro, according to Dr Michael Jenike, psychopharmacologist and leading expert on SSRI's in the world, as long as you switch from one SSRI to another, you shouldn't have any problems. You do not have to go through withdrawal from Paxil first and have it completely out of your system before you start another SSRI. Prozac has the longest half life and can be given to people going off Paxil to decrease withdrawal symptoms. Lexapro, I believe it recommended top dose at 20mgs, but you can go a lot higher. 40mgs is very commonly prescribed. They just never tested it for more than 20mgs, but doctors are having much success with 40mgs. As you said, you would start out on 10mgs and see how you do.

Two major reasons people go off the SSRI's is because of the side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I actually lost weight, but probably because I was so depressed I wasn't eating much. If you have or develop either of these side effects and it is not tolerable for you, there are several other medicines for depression that are not SSIR's. Wellbutrin is one of the leading ones, some others are Desyrel, Effexor and the newest one to come out a few months ago, Cymbalta. Two other fairly new drugs that are being prescribed for depression are Abilify and Geodon.

You need to talk to your psychiatrist and weigh the options and if one doesn't work, try another.

Good Luck,
    Casey

matty6string is offline New Member

Thank you very much! Most of my life I was treated for depression with non SSRI meds and they actually seemed to make me more depressed. Once I was switched to Paxil I seemed to wake up and started feeling good for the first time.[^] Thats why I was curious about switching to Lexepro because I don't feel good anymore. What were you symptoms of Seritonin Syndrome??[?]

Matty,

Having Seratonin Syndrome was like having a really bad case of the flu, I was so sick, nausea, body aches, shakes, etc. Then to get Paxil Flu on top of it, well it was like having two very bad cases of the flu at the same time. I thought I was going to die. I took two months to get over it. I wouldnn't wish it on anyone.

Casey

Hillstone Guest

I have been taking Paxil CR 25x2 for several years and it does nothing for my anxiety. It has helped to eliminate suicidal thoughts when I am depressed. I also take Trazodone to sleep. I am seeing a new doctor and she prescribed Cymbalta. After reading about the drug, I am afraid to take it. Has anyone taken Cymbalta and not had bad side effects, and have found that Cymbalta helps them?

I have been taking Paxil CR 25x2 for several years and it does nothing for my anxiety. It has helped to eliminate suicidal thoughts when I am depressed. I also take Trazodone to sleep. I am seeing a new doctor and she prescribed Cymbalta. After reading about the drug, I am afraid to take it. Has anyone taken Cymbalta and not had bad side effects, and have found that Cymbalta helps them?

Belinda,

Why is your new doctor taking you off Paxil CR if it was working so well for you?

Casey

Hillstone Guest

quote:Originally posted by Casey55

Belinda,

Why is your new doctor taking you off Paxil CR if it was working so well for you?

Casey
    She switched me because I have not been able to stay at new jobs (I've had 3) because my short term memory is shot, I feel anxious all the time, so I can't focus on learning new information. Also sex drive has been non-existant since starting on the SSRIs. I have been on most of the SSRIs for the past 8 years including Paxel, but Paxel stopped working after about 1 year, and changing to a higher dose didn't help. I used Wellbutron after Remeron because my eating was out of control, and I had gained too much weight. The Wellbutron helped me to control my eating, but I had a racing heart, as well as jittery all the time. I've had testing done, and the diagnosis is not clear. She suspects ADDHD as well as depression, but would like to get more out of an anti-depressant drug, such as a little personal peace, calmness. She believes the new drug might help. I have been in counseling as well.

scubablt is offline New Member

Hello. I have a reply about ZOLOFT... which is pretty much JUST like Paxil... so read this closely keeping thay Rx. truth in mind, OK? I think this reply can help you. This is News about Wellbutrin vs. Zoloft and PAXIL. (My very personal experience.) [)]

~~~ Here is some info from me @ Zolft and Paxil vs. Wellbutrin. I had started my depression treatment w/ Zoloft, and below you will read about my horrible experience with the Rx. "Zo--I Can't Get the Big Boy Up Any More--Loft" and "PAX -- It will not get up and CUM to the party -- IL." That is why I was changed by my Dr. to Wellbutrin. Although Wellbutrin did not and is still not working very well for the depression, the side affects I suffered w/ Zoloft disappeared. You have to decide which you want: better help w/ Depression OR to be able to get it up and cum [:0] .... you decide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my story about Paxil and Zoloft vs. Wellbutrin. I need to use the intimate details I do to make the point and to be totally honest as to why I HAD to GET OFF Zoloft ASAP!!! Here it is:

*** "I hurt my back in 1999 [|)] and still suffer intense PAIN. I even had surgery, P.T., Injections, and much more. The only thing that has helped is Pain Rxs.

I am also still suffering from severe depression from all I have been thru since the injury where I hurt my back -- (All this happened in a 18 month period of time!!!) The death / loss of my last living parent AND grandparent, loss of my mother in law, two dear pets dying, I moved often and lived in 5 houses in 13 months while my new house was being built, resigned a job due to unethical acts at the top of the mgmt. level, took two other jobs and resigned them due to much better offers, marital problems, supervised the building of the new 2-story house mentioned above... that encountered several major problems that just about cost me over 50,000!, major car problems, wife getting sick in a bad way and having 2-surgeries three months apart,financial problems, and the while time I battled intense level 6-9 back pain due to above info. about back, and the dark world of DEEP DEPRESSION has just about over taken my whole life... and it still is as I write this.

So, [] to make a long story short, my Dr. prescribed me Zoloft a few years ago for the depression and it worked OK, but I was so depressed, It would be hard for anything to work. I should say it did not work at first, until they got the dose up high enough... which took several months of experimenting w/ the dose. ***But, here is the BIG problem I suffered w/ Zoloft: The Zoloft left me totally impotent! I could not 'get it up' hardly at all, and when I did finally get the 'big boy' to come to the "Taco Party," (get it?), I could not cum or have an ORGASM at all! I could make love or get sucked for an hour and not cum! I am not kidding. Plus, it took all desire away for sex due to my inability to enjoy any pleasure at all. I mean, who wants to go thru the work of having sex and not enjoy it? I did not!! So, this made my wife mad, and she started considering getting laid by others to pleasure her. So, I chose to get off the Zoloft to save my sex life and marriage. And when I did get it up. and when I was able to make love, it took me SO long to cum, that I flat wore out my wife.... I mean I reamed her out due to going so long, that she was literally hurting in her sweet spot. I would sometimes go for 30 - 45 minutes full-speed ahead and still not be able to have much sensation in the Big-Boy, and still could not cum. She was begging me to: 1) Cum ASAP, or 2) STOP and pull out ASAP or she would be reamed out raw. Since I could not cum, I had to stop without feeling good or letting the Big-Boy relieve himself. This went on for months, so I had to do something, right? I had to get off the Zoloft ASAP!

So, [:0] Zoloft helped w/ the depression, but the side effects were not worth it. I switched to Wellbutrin, BUT It does not seem to work at all on the depression, so I still suffer thru life w/ horrible pain and in the dark, miserable, terrible, life-threatening, career ending, and extremely lonely world of deep depression. sometimes, the deep depression is worse than the intense physical pain I suffer.

So, [8] that is my word @ Zoloft... it worked some, but killed other parts of my life. Wellbutrin does not have the bad sexual side affects, but does not treat my depression near as well. I have considered stopping it many times, but since it does not seem to be causing me any problems, I thought, "What the heck... maybe it is helping a little, so I might as well keep taking it." Any thoughts on this anyone?

Any advice from anyone that could help me?

I hope you can get some effective help. Good luck on your own struggles. Mine are literally killing me one day at a time.

Lee... Good luck to you!!![B)]

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

Anthony59901 is offline New Member

What the hell is a person to do? I took Paxil for 2 years with great results as far as my anxiety and social phobia. Although it came at a hell of a price. When I started taking Paxil I weighed 185, now I am a whopping 280. Diets, excersize..nothing worked so I just quit taking it. As far as sexual side effects went..It took a while to reach orgasm but nothing too bad. As part of the withdrawl I was plagued by strange 'tingly' shocking feelings and I was very irritable...fortunatly after about 4 weeks the side-effects subsided. I then decided to take Zoloft...haha...I was an absolute horndog before Zoloft, during Zoloft I could have cared less for sex, I had absolutely no desire at all, I could get it up- just didn't want to. Besides, Zoloft really didn't help with the anxiety so I quit that stuff. Now 3 months later I am reverting back to my old self...very anxious. Since I am rather vain I am perplexed as to what to do. Be a happy fat man or a tweaked anxious sexy guy. Been thinking about Lexapro but I hear it causes weight gain too. I to was wondering if anyone has made this switch and what effects have been experienced

Anthony,

I am sorry you have gained so much weight on the Paxil. Unfortunatley, the two biggest and most common side effects of the SSRI's are weight gain and sexual side effects the reason so many go off of them, even if they are working.

Everyone is differnt and won't be affected the same way. I was on Paxil and Luvox for 5 yrs and I lost a ton of weight. I know that is not the norm but I wasn't complaining.

There are lots of other antidepressants out there that don't have these kinds of side effects. I am just sorry your psychiatrist never discussed them with you. That is a shame. Unfortunately, the SSRIs are not used to treat anxiety. If you are having problems with anxiety, talk to your psychiatrist about taking one of the good antianxiety meds. Lexapro is supposed to have the least amount of side effects of all the SSRI's, but have you considered something in another family, say Wellbutrin?

Good Luck,
    Casey

Painful_Truth is offline New Member

Well, I've been taking Paxil for about three years now. As far as the dose is concerned, I've been taking 30mg a day for a year. I have G.A.D. (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and probably a little bit of O.C.D. (Obcessive Compulsive Disorder). It seems to work fairly well for both mental issues.

And now I will share w/you my Paxil side-effects and withdrawal experiences:

SIDE-EFFECTS: It's all about the "sexual side-effects." Could care less about sex at all which, if I remember right, is the complete opposite from before I started taking Paxil.

WITHDRAWAL: Go 2 days w/out taking it and prepare to feel the fury. Biggest symptom - dizzy spells. No fun.

I was once switched from Paxil to Wellbutrin (ibupropion). The transition between both can be immediate (take Paxil today, start taking Wellbutrin tomorrow). I started feeling super-anxiety when I switched. Only reason for the switch in the first place was because I was put on Ultram for chronic pain and there's a major drug interation between Paxil and Ultram (increases the chances of a seizure).

So, as many of you have found out, I'm plaqued with a question: "Stop the panic or put Lil' Willy down for a LONG nap?" [V]

*Pain

kg7866 is offline New Member

WHATEVER YOU DO .... DO NOT TAKE EFFEXOR... THE ADDICTIVE COMPONANS ARE ANBEARABLE TO WEAN OFF OF....
    quote:Originally posted by Casey55

Hi Matty,

I took Paxil 60mgs for 5 years, from 1996-2000. I was also on Luvox, one of the other SSRI's. I had no problem taking the two for those 5 years. The Paxil didn't do anything for my depression, but as soon as I started taking it my anxiety went way down. After taking it full strength for 5 years, I got really sick and it turned out I had Seratonin Syndrome which means I was at toxic levels and I had to come off one of them immediately. I was totally aware that Paxil can have very bad withdrawal if stopped abruptly, but I really needed the Luvox more, so I went into what is called Paxil Flu on top of the Seratonin Syndrome. It was like having 5 cases of the flu at once. I was never so sick in my life. It lasted two months, I just laid in bed and rocked.

So DO NOT stop Paxil cold turkey, whatever you do. Of all the 6 SSRI's Paxil has the worst withdrawal because it has the shortest half life. That is why when you missed a few days dosage you started to go into withdrawal.

To answer your question about switching from Paxil to Lexapro, according to Dr Michael Jenike, psychopharmacologist and leading expert on SSRI's in the world, as long as you switch from one SSRI to another, you shouldn't have any problems. You do not have to go through withdrawal from Paxil first and have it completely out of your system before you start another SSRI. Prozac has the longest half life and can be given to people going off Paxil to decrease withdrawal symptoms. Lexapro, I believe it recommended top dose at 20mgs, but you can go a lot higher. 40mgs is very commonly prescribed. They just never tested it for more than 20mgs, but doctors are having much success with 40mgs. As you said, you would start out on 10mgs and see how you do.

Two major reasons people go off the SSRI's is because of the side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I actually lost weight, but probably because I was so depressed I wasn't eating much. If you have or develop either of these side effects and it is not tolerable for you, there are several other medicines for depression that are not SSIR's. Wellbutrin is one of the leading ones, some others are Desyrel, Effexor and the newest one to come out a few months ago, Cymbalta. Two other fairly new drugs that are being prescribed for depression are Abilify and Geodon.

You need to talk to your psychiatrist and weigh the options and if one doesn't work, try another.

Good Luck,
    Casey

countingbackwards is offline New Member

I had two short experiences with Paxil and will NEVER take anything like that again! At first I was desperate with social anxiety. I couldn't even go to a lunch with people I worked with and had known for years, so I asked my doctor about Paxil. I was taking the regular ones and not the sustained release. I felt a lot more peaceful, but it almost instantly it made my hands feel like they were detached from my body or floating, made me lose weight (a good thing), and gave me really bad diarrhea. By the end of the whole two weeks I was taking it, I was throwing up and said to hell with that. Funny and bad thing about all that was that ever since I took it in February 2001, I haven't wanted anything to do with my husband at all. It changed my feelings about almost everything. Everyone I know commented on how I was acting strange and I have never been the same. Several months later I was really depressed and seeing a counselor and she said she thought all the problems were because I was depressed and that I should try the sustained release Paxil because it might be good to keep an even amount in my body all the time. Shortly after the first pill I had this awful desperate feeling. I felt half asleep and out of control and cried when I wasn't sleeping. After a week of knowing it was the pills I skipped a day just to try to get my bearings back. I felt better and took one again the next day and was miserable again. That made me quit. To this day I still want NOTHING to do with my husband, and while part of that is because he is a jerk sometimes, he was a jerk before I took Paxil and I still wanted him then. I truly do not think or act the way I used to before I took it the first time. I like and dislike people and things I didn't before and it just did strange things to me. I can't say all of that is bad, but the difference has created a lot of confusion and turmoil in my life. I know people who take it that love it, but I do NOT.

Jennifer

Wes Robinson is offline New Member

I had my first panic attack in 1990. A phyciatrist thought i was depressed and tried two drugs on me , both sent me to the ER for reactions. the next time in the ER my family Dr said I was not depressed but having panic attacks and put me on Paxil. Twice in five years I quit taking Paxil with no withdrawal effects but in a month or so my Panic attacks returned. I take 20 mg and suffer from daytime sleepiness. I am a diabetic so it's hard to tell if Paxil has hurt my sex life since Diabetees already has. I am 72 years old and have not suffered any other problems in the 15 years I have been taking Paxil.

Miles is offline Member

Matty6String:

Your symptoms are not all that uncommon for someone with your history of Paxil usage. See my post, "Paxil and Suicide," at the "Latest Drug Related News" Forum. You might also consider switching doctors - any physician who wants to increase your dosage given the symptoms you present engages in questionable medical practice.

Good luck!
    Miles

Wes Robinson is offline New Member

Miles,
    My interest in stopping Paxil happened because I went to the Shore for 4 Days and forgot my Paxil. I thought I might continue not taking it but upon arriving Home checked the Internet for Info,since Monday morning I had a very nervous spell.
    My Doctor has never changed my dosage(20MG). I have tried twice to quit to see if it was the cause of the day time sleepiness.
    If I keep moving, I am ok, but sit in a chair for an hour or so with boring TV or nothing to do and I'm taking a nap.
    The panic attacks are very upsetting and when I read about the withdrawal problems it convinced me even more that it is not worth trying...
    Thanks for your input Wes R

Miles is offline Member

Wes:

You are most welcome. Be careful though - the side effects of continued usage may be worse than quitting.

Brain wave patterns indicate patients taking psychiatric drugs such as prozac, paxil, zoloft, luvox, effexor, serzone, and anafranil are in a total anesthetic sleep state while appearing awake and functioning. Increasing serotonin - exactly what these drugs are designed to do - induces both nightmares and sleepwalk. Patients report over and over again that they have lived out their worst nightmare. And as with sleepwalk episodes, many have no recall or little recall of what they have done. Often someone must prove to them what they have done while they where under the influence of these drugs before they will believe it to be true. One patient I know stated that he could not detect during his two year use of Prozac what was real or what was a dream

Although initially increasing concentration and energy, patients on drugs such as prozac, paxil, zoloft, luvox, effexor, serzone, and anafranil report long-term effects of impaired memory and concentration and mental disability. Large numbers of Prozac patients report FALSE memories of ABUSE. As disruption of serotonin alters perception, reality and dreams SEEM one and the same, creating a STRONGER hypersuggestable state than hypnotism.

Elevated levels of serotonin (5HT) - exactly the chemical these SSRI drugs do increase - is the same chemical that LSD, PCP and other psychedelic drugs mimic in order to produce their hallucinogenic effects.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Miles

Griffin is offline New Member

I have been on Paxil for four years, 40mg for two years. It has helped me so much with my anxiety which is almost non existant now. Also has helped with depression. I went in and saw a nurse practitioner for a yearly check up and she was concerned about the dosage of Paxil I'm on. Thought it was a little high. I also told her about my weight problems, nothing too bad have gained about 15 pounds since starting Paxil but just cannot lose weight even working out and dieting. Also my sex drive is way down. As a women I have the advantage I can have sex just don't care if I do. She suggested I go on Lexapro. Now my question is, Can I just switch or do I have to go slowly off the Paxil first? I have tried to quit Paxil in the past and it was hell. Right now I am cutting my dosage down. It hasn't been too bad, just some shakes and not feeling quite right and extremely jumpy. She says her patients have had good results with Lexapro without the weight and sex problem. Any advice? Also isn't Wellbutrin only for depression? Or does it help anxiety also? My daughter has just started it for depression and all she does is sleep. Is this a side effect that will go away once she is used to it?

simonood is offline New Member

I just have to say my experience of Paxil has been a really positive one. I was first prescribed it 4 years ago for social anxiety, it has turned my life around and I no longer have social anxiety and live life to the full both at work and home.

I have no side effects apart form difficulty achieving orgasm, as a 42 year old man that does not bother me too much.

I have come off Paxil several times as doctor wanted me to have a drug free period, came off with no problems at all, very easy. However, over the course of 5 or so months my social anxiety slowly reappeared and I went back on to Paxil with really good effect. I have been on it this time for nearly a year and a couple of moths ago I reduced to 10mg daily (half a tablet) this was because I did find I was getting very slightly manic which was a really good feeling but cutting down the dose has sorted that out. I am sure my doctor will suggest another drug free period soon which is fine, not as anxious about that as previous times as long as I can re-start if I need to.

I know Paxil is not for everyone and it can cause unpleasant side effects but for me I would choose it every time.

ehcehc is offline New Member

I agree. I advise to anyone to never take Effexor.

For me it was the worst in terms of withdrawal.

They are completely horrendous.-did i spell that right?
    They lasted over 5 months.

-CHE
    GOOD LUCK

LisaDep is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by scubablt

Hello. I have a reply about ZOLOFT... which is pretty much JUST like Paxil... so read this closely keeping thay Rx. truth in mind, OK? I think this reply can help you. This is News about Wellbutrin vs. Zoloft and PAXIL. (My very personal experience.) [)]

~~~ Here is some info from me @ Zolft and Paxil vs. Wellbutrin. I had started my depression treatment w/ Zoloft, and below you will read about my horrible experience with the Rx. "Zo--I Can't Get the Big Boy Up Any More--Loft" and "PAX -- It will not get up and CUM to the party -- IL." That is why I was changed by my Dr. to Wellbutrin. Although Wellbutrin did not and is still not working very well for the depression, the side affects I suffered w/ Zoloft disappeared. You have to decide which you want: better help w/ Depression OR to be able to get it up and cum [:0] .... you decide.

Here is my story about Paxil and Zoloft vs. Wellbutrin. I need to use the intimate details I do to make the point and to be totally honest as to why I HAD to GET OFF Zoloft ASAP!!! Here it is:

*** "I hurt my back in 1999 [|)] and still suffer intense PAIN. I even had surgery, P.T., Injections, and much more. The only thing that has helped is Pain Rxs.

I am also still suffering from severe depression from all I have been thru since the injury where I hurt my back -- (All this happened in a 18 month period of time!!!) The death / loss of my last living parent AND grandparent, loss of my mother in law, two dear pets dying, I moved often and lived in 5 houses in 13 months while my new house was being built, resigned a job due to unethical acts at the top of the mgmt. level, took two other jobs and resigned them due to much better offers, marital problems, supervised the building of the new 2-story house mentioned above... that encountered several major problems that just about cost me over 50,000!, major car problems, wife getting sick in a bad way and having 2-surgeries three months apart,financial problems, and the while time I battled intense level 6-9 back pain due to above info. about back, and the dark world of DEEP DEPRESSION has just about over taken my whole life... and it still is as I write this.

So, [] to make a long story short, my Dr. prescribed me Zoloft a few years ago for the depression and it worked OK, but I was so depressed, It would be hard for anything to work. I should say it did not work at first, until they got the dose up high enough... which took several months of experimenting w/ the dose. ***But, here is the BIG problem I suffered w/ Zoloft: The Zoloft left me totally impotent! I could not 'get it up' hardly at all, and when I did finally get the 'big boy' to come to the "Taco Party," (get it?), I could not cum or have an ORGASM at all! I could make love or get sucked for an hour and not cum! I am not kidding. Plus, it took all desire away for sex due to my inability to enjoy any pleasure at all. I mean, who wants to go thru the work of having sex and not enjoy it? I did not!! So, this made my wife mad, and she started considering getting laid by others to pleasure her. So, I chose to get off the Zoloft to save my sex life and marriage. And when I did get it up. and when I was able to make love, it took me SO long to cum, that I flat wore out my wife.... I mean I reamed her out due to going so long, that she was literally hurting in her sweet spot. I would sometimes go for 30 - 45 minutes full-speed ahead and still not be able to have much sensation in the Big-Boy, and still could not cum. She was begging me to: 1) Cum ASAP, or 2) STOP and pull out ASAP or she would be reamed out raw. Since I could not cum, I had to stop without feeling good or letting the Big-Boy relieve himself. This went on for months, so I had to do something, right? I had to get off the Zoloft ASAP!

So, [:0] Zoloft helped w/ the depression, but the side effects were not worth it. I switched to Wellbutrin, BUT It does not seem to work at all on the depression, so I still suffer thru life w/ horrible pain and in the dark, miserable, terrible, life-threatening, career ending, and extremely lonely world of deep depression. sometimes, the deep depression is worse than the intense physical pain I suffer.

So, [8] that is my word @ Zoloft... it worked some, but killed other parts of my life. Wellbutrin does not have the bad sexual side affects, but does not treat my depression near as well. I have considered stopping it many times, but since it does not seem to be causing me any problems, I thought, "What the heck... maybe it is helping a little, so I might as well keep taking it." Any thoughts on this anyone?

I hope you can get some effective help. Good luck on your own struggles. Mine are literally killing me one day at a time.

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

LisaDep is offline New Member

Hi Scubablt. My advice is to take a normal dose of Wellbutrin with a minimal dose of Zoloft (e.g., 25-35 mg. per day). I've done this with very good results.

abey042000 is offline Member

I would like to ask Miles, where he got the information about the brain waves and patterns on efexxor and also about the hallucinations????????

Miles is offline Member

abbey042000:

The information in my posting comes from research conducted by Dr. Ann Blake Tracy. Dr. Tracy studied approximatley 1,000 patients over the long-term. Dr. Tracy heads the only support group in the state of Utah for those who have suffered adverse reactions to the SSRI drugs such as prozac, paxil, zoloft, luvox, effexor, serzone, anafranil & the diet pills - fenfluramine, fen-phen & redux.

Miles

BJC
    BJC is offline New Member

Hi Lee,
    I read your your story and mine is very similar (I am a female) and I have been taking zoloft for about 8 years now and do not remember once wanting to have sex with my husband, it has always been him the one to iniciate. I do enjoy it once we do it but to get to that point is a battle. I got off zoloft totally about a month ago (it was hell to do it, I thought I was going to die) anyway my doctor says that I can not be out of ADS because my brain does not produce enough seratonin on it's own and that sooner or later it will affect me. He switched me to wellbutrin 300mg a day (by the way zoloft worked wonders for me) the reason I got off it's because I want to be able to enjoy sex more often with my husband (it's unfair for them) I am having mood swings even taking wellbutrin. I do not know what to do and I was wondering what you decided to do and if you went back to zoloft or feel better on wellbutrin.
    Please advice. Thank you.
    PS: I went thru hell too and I know how you feel. I hope everything is better for you now.
    BJC

couch is offline New Member

I was part of a trial group who took Cymbalta. It was administered to me after it had already been on the market for many months. It can work for people but for me it did absolutely nothing. I might as well have not even have taken it. But you should go on your own experiences, not others. What may not work for one, will work for another, and visa versa.

quote:Originally posted by Belinda Blauer

happy1 is offline New Member

I HAVE TAKEN PROZAC,PAXIL, ZOLOFT, LEXAPRO FOR YEARS; BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT GAIN, I ASKED TO BE SWITCHED TO WELLBUTRIN. AS OF YESTERDAY, THE DR. SUGGESTS THAT I TAKE 300MG OF WELLBUTRIN WIYTH PAXIL 12. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote]Originally posted by BJC

Hi Lee,
    I read your your story and mine is very similar (I am a female) and I have been taking zoloft for about 8 years now and do not remember once wanting to have sex with my husband, it has always been him the one to iniciate. I do enjoy it once we do it but to get to that point is a battle. I got off zoloft totally about a month ago (it was hell to do it, I thought I was going to die) anyway my doctor says that I can not be out of ADS because my brain does not produce enough seratonin on it's own and that sooner or later it will affect me. He switched me to wellbutrin 300mg a day (by the way zoloft worked wonders for me) the reason I got off it's because I want to be able to enjoy sex more often with my husband (it's unfair for them) I am having mood swings even taking wellbutrin. I do not know what to do and I was wondering what you decided to do and if you went back to zoloft or feel better on wellbutrin.
    Please advice. Thank you.
    PS: I went thru hell too and I know how you feel. I hope everything is better for you now.
    BJC

[/quote]

blownaway2005 is offline New Member

My doctor put me on Paxil for post-partum depression and it worked extremely well with very few side effects. I was only on it for about 8 weeks when my father-in-law died and I missed a few doses. I honestly thought I was having mini-strokes or I had a brain tumor or something. My lips and tongue kept going numb, I would have horrible tingling in my hands and feet, the dizziness was driving me crazy and on top of all of that, the withdrawals kept me so off-balance I fell three times in less than a week. I am terrified of trying something new, but the thought of the post-partum depression coming back scares me more! Anyone have any thoughts?[?]

Amy

Darrell44 is offline New Member

I have been on Paxil for about 7 years now,now up to 40mg a day.I now wish this drug was never created in the first place,I got so crazy after trying to quit this drug,the withdrawals after 3 months were too much.I had too call my doctor and go back on it,thought I was gonna die just from the nightmares.Now the drug has ruined my sex life, and my girlfriend has left me,so I am gonna attempt to quit this life destroying drug once again.Initially it really helped after I had a bad accident which put me out of work, but after the first 2 years, I found this drug is useless for depression,it just numbs your mind,and didnt help me anymore with P.T.S.D.I dont want to try any other anti-depressants,so I'm gonna try taking Lorazepam to wean myself off paxil,and see how it goes.
    Darrell

Shifty is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Griffin

Now my question is, Can I just switch or do I have to go slowly off the Paxil first? I have tried to quit Paxil in the past and it was hell. Right now I am cutting my dosage down. It hasn't been too bad, just some shakes and not feeling quite right and extremely jumpy. She says her patients have had good results with Lexapro without the weight and sex problem. Any advice?
    They are both SSRI's meaning they effect seratonin levels, so there shouldnt be too much of a difference in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Griffin
    Also isn't Wellbutrin only for depression? Or does it help anxiety also? My daughter has just started it for depression and all she does is sleep. Is this a side effect that will go away once she is used to it?
    Wellbutrin effects dopamine and norepinepherine instead of seratonin. Looking at their webpage, it looks like it is just for depression.

I am currently taking 20mg of Paroxitine HCL (Paxil). I have tried 25mg CR, 20mg, and 40mg.

My side effects are delayed orgasm and lack of motivation.

The Paxil seems to cure my anxiety in low stress situations, but makes it worse in high-stress situations.

The side effects on the 40mg were more intense. In addition to the above listed side-effects, I got minor headaches and a much more sedated feeling with no additional benefits.

Ask me anything, I would love to help you with my experiences.

Shifty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast