Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NewYorkGuy44
  • 1 Post By NewYorkGuy44
  • 1 Post By NightShadeXr
OxyContin cut in half?
    chijessi is offline New Member

Unhappy OxyContin cut in half?

I'm completely confused here with my research on the web. Seven years ago, I slipped on the ice and herniated three discs in my back. In addition to my 22 degree scoliosis, it resulted in debilitating pain, and I've been working with several doctors, PT, chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons to try and relieve the pain. The orthopedic surgeon basically said "everyone has back pain...surgery won't help." I thought that was sucky, but oh well. My doctor has had me on every narcotic,non narcotic, anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant in the book and after three steady years of Vicodin, in which my tolerance went sky high, she advised Oxycontin 20mgs, 3 times a day. She also gave me percoset for break through pain.

The problem was, with the Oxycontin, I was almost like clockwork having to take the Percoset at the six hour mark because it began to wear off in a big way. So she said that instead ofgoing to four times a day, to cut the pills in HALF ONLY not to CRUSH them and take them every four hours. She said CRUSHING pills can result in overdose, but cutting them in half shouldn't be a problem since I already have such a high opiate tolerance.

Yet everything I read on the web says NEVER CUT A PILL IN HALF, IT CAN BE DANGEROUS.

So is my doctor, whom I've trusted for ten years, wrong?

ldeffor2905 is offline New Member

Default Cutting pill in a half.

Chijessi,

My son died of taking OxyContin; he crushed and grinded one 80mg and another half of 80mg of OC. He overdosed and died at the age of 19. He had taken OC about 4 to 5 time for occasional use of misusing.

I don't understand why you doctor would tell you to cut OC in a half. Even though you built up your tolerance when taking opiods, you never know what it would do when cutting or crushing it. My son did not have alcohol/illegal drugs/other prescription drugs in his system but he still died. It wasn't his first time using it.

I also read that one 80mg is equal to 16 percocets; this is just to show that OxyConting can really be a dangerous drug. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by chijessi View Post
    I'm completely confused here with my research on the web. Seven years ago, I slipped on the ice and herniated three discs in my back. In addition to my 22 degree scoliosis, it resulted in debilitating pain, and I've been working with several doctors, PT, chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons to try and relieve the pain. The orthopedic surgeon basically said "everyone has back pain...surgery won't help." I thought that was sucky, but oh well. My doctor has had me on every narcotic,non narcotic, anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant in the book and after three steady years of Vicodin, in which my tolerance went sky high, she advised Oxycontin 20mgs, 3 times a day. She also gave me percoset for break through pain.

The problem was, with the Oxycontin, I was almost like clockwork having to take the Percoset at the six hour mark because it began to wear off in a big way. So she said that instead ofgoing to four times a day, to cut the pills in HALF ONLY not to CRUSH them and take them every four hours. She said CRUSHING pills can result in overdose, but cutting them in half shouldn't be a problem since I already have such a high opiate tolerance.

Yet everything I read on the web says NEVER CUT A PILL IN HALF, IT CAN BE DANGEROUS.

Farealblonde is offline New Member

Talking Oxycontin cut in half

I Think Your Doctor Is Correct In Telling You To Cut The Oxycontin In Half. As Long As You Don't Crush It, It Is Not Fatal. I Use Oxycontin For Debilitating Knee Pain And Very Often Cut My Pills In Half. Don't Let People Frighten You With Stories Of Death. Taking An Oxycontin 80 And A Half Would Kill Just About Anyone, Especially If Snorted Or Injected.while I Am Sympathetic To Anyone Whom Has Lost Someone Due To Oxycontin Misuse, I Am Also Very Knowlegable On It's Correct Use.if You Are Following Doctors Orders You Are In No Danger. Oxycontin Works Miracles If You Follow Your Doctors' Orders. I Am At Aol.com If You Would Ever Like To Chat Or Email Or Discuss This Further. Don't Be Confused. Listen To Your Doctor And Trust Your Doctor!

chijessi is offline New Member

Smile

Thanks. I am aware of the dangers of crushing oxycontin, and believe me, I am angered and frustrated with the abuse of painkillers mainly because it makes it so hard for people like me, with debilitating pain to get prescriptions refilled when certain pharmacies won't stock the drug or I have to sign in a book my name and address...

I only take 20mgs, not 80. I've tried splitting the pill in half and nothing outrageous has happened, that was three hours ago.

Shara53 is offline New Member

I agree that cutting (as opposed to crushing) Oxycontin is ok. My DH used to take it for pain associated with stenosis of the cervical spine. He was only taking 5 miligrams, but when he foolishly chewed one up one night (he was in severe pain and wanted it work faster), he fell asleep and slipped into unconsciouness. I woke up and couldn't rouse him. We ended up in the emergency room and they had to give him Narcan to bring him back around. The docs there told me if I hadn't awakened when I did and taken action, he would have died. Needless to say, it was a terrifying experience. The docs explained that because it's an extended release drug, grinding ip up will deliver all the narcotic into your system at one. Cutting and taking half won't. So cut=good; grind=dangerous.

adam81 is offline New Member

Default Do NOT crush, chew, or halve.

As a rule, Oxycontin should NOT be halved, crushed or chewed. It must be swallowed whole.

This is direct from MIMS: "Swallow whole; do not break, chew, crush"

The reason being Oxycontin, as previously stated, has a slow release coating (hence the name OXY = oxycodone and CONTIN = continuous release).

Now, if the slow release coating is broken, the full strength of the tablet will be delivered at once as there is no slow release coating to retard the disintegration or absorption of the tablet. So, taking half a tablet an Oxycontin 10mg tablet, will deliver half of 10mg, or 5mg all at once.

One very impotrant thing to bear in mind, is the strength of the tablet.

Coming back to the previous example, if someone takes half a 10mg tablet, it will deliver 5mg of oxycodone (the same amount of oxycodone as in one Peroceet). So in this particular example, the amottn of oxycodone delivered is still within the normal dose range.

However, if half of an 80mg tablet was taken, it would deliver 40mg of oxycodone or the equivalent of 8 Perocets at once! This is a dangerous amount.

Chijessi , to address your example, half a 20mg tablet will deliver half of 20mg, or 10mg, of oxycodone (so 2 Perocets). So again, within normal dosing limits.

Shara53, in your case, even though only a 5mg tablet was involved, the reaction MAY have been so severe due to sublingual (under the tongue) absorption, rather than the usual absorption by the stomach. The reason being, the sublingual vein is a superhighway direct to the heart which bypasses the normal absorption mechanisms, and results in much faster, much more efficient absorption. So, you're exactly right in saying chewing is bad.

This is a much longer explanation than I envisaged, but I hope it helps.

The simple story is, as a general rule

DO NOT CRUSH, CHEW, OR HALVE OXYCONTIN TABLETS UNLESS EXPRESSLY ADVISED TO DO SO BY YOUR DOCTOR

Hope it helps!

Adam (Pharmacist)

Anonymous Guest

Hi Adam
    you picked a very good topic , but the people on this thread have not been on there for a couple years so I don't think you would here back from them.
    there are a lot of current issues to deal with tho..
    talk to you later Melinda

Rachel723 is offline New Member

Question Adam, or someone...

Hi! actually, that information was really helpful and I am really glad you posted it. Now if you're still there... I have been suffering from chronic painfor 3+ yrs and finally found a treatment that is helping me. Therefore, I have been trying to wean off my meds. At my worst I was taking 2 40mg oxycontins and 8 7.5/325 percocets per day, and could not get out of bed. So thank goodness for this treatment!!

But because it was so hard to get a sooner appointment with my pcp, I just began weaning on my own. I can't stand how these medsaffect me...they make me tired andfoggy and unable to focus on anything! Anyway, I have been able to eliminate ONE FULL 40 MG TAB ON MY OWN!! I think that's pretty amazing, but idk howmy dr. willreact when I tell him this news, since i did not follow his plan at first.

My question is: if i cut my last 40 precisely, how bad would this be? I have to supplement with percocet, which isn't really effective, because withdrawal kicks in as the pill wears off... I know it would last longer if I could cut the pills until my next appt. Thanks in advance!

NewYorkGuy44 is offline New Member

Default Your DR is not completely wrong, I would say it depends on the person.

I know that many Doctors say do not cut or crush pills, because it is broken down tto relieve slow, not all at once, But My father who has had many surgerys on his Back, Neck, and Knees, had asked him this same question. He had said that in the early morning he only needed Half a pill, and he would save the other half for the next morning.The doctor replied bysaying, the only problem is that the pill might hit you all at once, instead of spreading out over the hours. But had told him if it does work, ( which it did) then continue to do so. It is only really bad when crushed all the way, People who arent in pain look for that surge to get high off of. But since you are in pain your body will react different. It is only logical.A Drug addict is looking to get high, since they are in no pain it will hit them all at once, but when your in pain, exspeecially the severe amount that my father was in, it had no bad effect, becuase his body was hurt, unlike the junkie who was just looking for the high, who wasd in no pain. It was different, when your in pain your body will compensate any way possible to help you. think of your body as a machine.To cut to the chase and get to the point it was fine, to just cut it in half in my Fathers case.
    And sometimes when you are in an incredible amount of pain chewing a pill will help it dissolve faster, I am not recommending this, It will hit you all at once, but if your that hurt, and have a high tolerance for opiates. A 20mg pill of Oxycontin won't kill you, but like I said I am not advising it. I just know it has worked for my Father and many other People.
    Floetry and Seaboy like this.

NewYorkGuy44 is offline New Member

Default New OxyContin pills dont work that well.

I have heard a lot of complaining about the newer Oxycontin pills, the ones scored Op Instead of OC. The pill is maybe half as potent, and cannot be easily broken down like the original Oxy's. Now I don't want to crush them or break them down in anyway, all I want is for it to work the same way, which it does not. people have been abusing this medication for too long now, and now it is people like me who are in severe pain who are forced to live with Medication that doesn't work as well. I was on all sorts of Pain Med's, and Oxy finally worked, but since the new compound, it does not. Now my DR wants me to try Embeda, or Opana. Which I am hesitant to do, because if it doesn't work then I will be stuck the whole month in pain, with Medication that doesn't work. Many years ago Valium got the same bad name, because of people using it whom have not been prescribed, now it comes to this. I have a Hard Time trying to fill my Prescriptions at the Pharmacy now. And its not like it's hand written and can be altered, it's typed and beyond that the Dr needs to call it in to the Insurance Company to get the OK before even giving them to me. I find this intolerable, This is still America. And what also annoys me is that you are given a drug test, it would not bother me, if they were just looking for illegal drugs, but they are looking from anything from opiates to benzo's to Psychiatric medicine. I do not think it is any of the doctors business, If you tell them you are on a psychiatric or benzodiazipine they should take your word, not treat you like a suspected drug abuser. I am extremely angry about this, and think that it should be illegal to do such a thing. We don't live in a communist or Fachist country, and I thank Jesus Christ for being born an American.
    My main point is, do they still make the original OC's, and if so, where can you Find them. I would really appreciate an answer, Thank you very much.
    Floetry likes this.

ChronicCrohnsPain is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam81 View Post
    As a rule, Oxycontin should NOT be halved, crushed or chewed. It must be swallowed whole.

The reason being Oxycontin, as previously stated, has a slow release coating (hence the name OXY = oxycodone and CONTIN = continuous release).

Now, if the slow release coating is broken, the full strength of the tablet will be delivered at once as there is no slow release coating to retard the disintegration or absorption of the tablet. So, taking half a tablet an Oxycontin 10mg tablet, will deliver half of 10mg, or 5mg all at once.

Coming back to the previous example, if someone takes half a 10mg tablet, it will deliver 5mg of oxycodone (the same amount of oxycodone as in one Peroceet). So in this particular example, the amottn of oxycodone delivered is still within the normal dose range.

However, if half of an 80mg tablet was taken, it would deliver 40mg of oxycodone or the equivalent of 8 Perocets at once! This is a dangerous amount.

Chijessi , to address your example, half a 20mg tablet will deliver half of 20mg, or 10mg, of oxycodone (so 2 Perocets). So again, within normal dosing limits.

Shara53, in your case, even though only a 5mg tablet was involved, the reaction MAY have been so severe due to sublingual (under the tongue) absorption, rather than the usual absorption by the stomach. The reason being, the sublingual vein is a superhighway direct to the heart which bypasses the normal absorption mechanisms, and results in much faster, much more efficient absorption. So, you're exactly right in saying chewing is bad.

DO NOT CRUSH, CHEW, OR HALVE OXYCONTIN TABLETS UNLESS EXPRESSLY ADVISED TO DO SO BY YOUR DOCTOR

Hope it helps!

Adam (Pharmacist)
    I hate that my first post is a correction post, but I feel it is important for people to have the correct information..... You keep saying Percocets but not a mg. quantity..... Percocet comes in 5, 7.5 and 10 mg strengths so it would matter which ones you are talking about to make your statement true..... If you are talking 5mg, then you are correct, but if you are talking 10mg then you are only talking 4.

Again, sorry to correct, but many people use these sites for info. and need to be educated properly.

D4Ta is offline Member

Oxycontin should NEVER be halved, cut or chewed and crushed.
    Oc is designed to work over a 12hr period, and this is often cunfused the issue as to why Docs perscribe it more that twice a day.
    that said. if you break on in half, it loses the time-release coating, thus giving you the pill all in one shot. thus being dagerous if you are taking it multi times throughout the day.
    food for thought.
    and on thAT note:
    Iam on day.. I think 28 off methadone, had some ruff points, as posted here, but it IS getting easier as time goes by. Robert, my g/f is at home, and I came to my moms in town for the next couple weeks, so I would avoid the temptation of taking HER meds.
    thanks bud
    god bless
    D~

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronicCrohnsPain View Post
    I hate that my first post is a correction post, but I feel it is important for people to have the correct information..... You keep saying Percocets but not a mg. quantity..... Percocet comes in 5, 7.5 and 10 mg strengths so it would matter which ones you are talking about to make your statement true..... If you are talking 5mg, then you are correct, but if you are talking 10mg then you are only talking 4.

Again, sorry to correct, but many people use these sites for info. and need to be educated properly.
    Yeah they come in 15mg and 30mg too ace

mmikey67 is offline New Member

Sorry ace, but percocet does not come in 15mg or 30mg strengths. Roxicodone does....or just plain oxycodone does. But, percocet? Nope. Percs come in 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 mg strengths, ace.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adam81 View Post

Hope it helps!

Adam (Pharmacist)
    Not that it matters but I think this person is trying to explain what happens when you chew up an oxycontin,

terry120635 is offline Member

You can die from crushing or cutting a OC pill in half ask the pharmacist if you dont belive me, that is what I was told.....and 80 milligrams you should never take unless you have a high tolerance to opiods....if you have not been on opiates for a long time a doc will not even prescribe OC to you over 60 milligrams.

rocketxxx is offline New Member

Hey there the answer to your question is yes they still make the original oc"s as far as where to find them who knows I know ppl who have ordered them offline but I dont recommend that.

Hippiekinkster is offline New Member

One of the negatives of so many people having net access is that bad info spreads like rabbits on Viagra.

The coating is just a coating. It's the matix of the pill itself which delays release. The old OC matrix was changed to the OP matrix to help prevent abuse. Here's a clue: take an OC and put it in your mouth. Roll it around for a good many few seconds. Make sure there's plenty of saliva. Now remove it. Look at the coating. See the coating gone. Or see the coating mostly gone. See Spot run. Couldn't help that one.

Cutting one in half exposes slightly more surface area, but the dissolution rate isn't increased significantly.

Hippiekinkster is offline New Member

Cool Tolerance anc cutting polls.

... in which my tolerance went sky high, she advised Oxycontin 20mgs, 3 times a day. She also gave me percoset for break through pain.

Okay, this is confusing. A 20 mg. OC once every 8 hours is fine... no need to cut the pills. OCs DO NOT last 12 hours for most people, I don't care what Perdue says. The plasma serum level fraphs show an averag second peak at 6.7 hours, then a decline. That's more than 5 hours away from 12 hours. When taken every 8 hours, the second pill starts acting as the first is wearing off. This helps maintain relatively stable serum plasma levels.

Now how many percocets do you get? I get 4 15 mg. Roxicodones for breakthrough pain, one every six hours (in theory). They really only last about 4 hours. I get 2 40 mg. OC, one every 12 hours (in theory). I've found that I get better pain control taking one every 10 hours or so, and a roxicodone about every 4 hours. I end up with lower serum levels when I'm asleep. but I'm asleep. I don't care. Then, upon arising, I take one of each, washed down with a liter of vodka (OK, that's a joke. I'll have a couple good American craft beers occasionally at night but that's it...none of that beer-flavored Miller-Coors-Budwater. That stuff is for people who get into peeing a lot :-) hehehe)

Disclosure: I'm not a medical professional, but I used to be a Chemist. I can understand all those graphs in the literature.

NightShadeXr is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by D4Ta View Post
    Oxycontin should NEVER be halved, cut or chewed and crushed.
    Oc is designed to work over a 12hr period, and this is often cunfused the issue as to why Docs perscribe it more that twice a day.
    that said. if you break on in half, it loses the time-release coating, thus giving you the pill all in one shot. thus being dagerous if you are taking it multi times throughout the day.
    food for thought.
    and on thAT note:
    Iam on day.. I think 28 off methadone, had some ruff points, as posted here, but it IS getting easier as time goes by. Robert, my g/f is at home, and I came to my moms in town for the next couple weeks, so I would avoid the temptation of taking HER meds.
    thanks bud
    god bless
    D~
    I find it funny that EVERYBODY who responded here has no idea what they are talking about.... The time release mechanism IS NOT THE COATING, that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard and everybody thinks that its true.

The time release mechanism is the fillers not the coating, and your doctor is right. If you break an Oxy80 in half, it would be equivalent to taking 2 Oxy40's, the only difference is that each half would take 6 hours to dissolve each rather than 12 hours by taking the pill whole.

...the coating of the pill is just to distinguish the different doses. Try sucking off the coating, it takes literally 30 seconds, Oxycontin takes 12 hours to fully release, not 30 seconds retards.
    Seaboy likes this.

dillinger is offline New Member

Following this thread over its history, the differing answers begin to make sense, as the manufacturer moved from the OC (coating) form of solubility limitation to the OP form (drug imbedded in uniform hydrogel matrix with a fixed solubility rate and much reduced recreational value!). BUT, it now makes sense to dose using fractional tablets to achieve odd doses, as the tablets with reduced size no longer "dump" the drug but slowly dissolve at the rate you would predict from the fractional size.http://images.ddccdn.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png The OC form is no longer being made, apparently.
    Last edited by dillinger; 03-14-2014 at 04:50 PM.