From Oxycodone to Opana? What to expect?
    R8RJenn is offline New Member

Question From Oxycodone to Opana? What to expect?

My Dr. just changed my medication to Opana from immediate realease oxycodone to be taken with several other medications. How well does Opana work compared to the oxycodone? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    Jenn's in pain

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by R8RJenn View Post
    My Dr. just changed my medication to Opana from immediate realease oxycodone to be taken with several other medications. How well does Opana work compared to the oxycodone? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Are you taking the Opana ER ... the extended release? It's difficult to answer your question accurately based only on what information you've provided. You aren't giving us any mg amounts for each of the meds, what other meds you're talking about taking that may or may not affect how these medication react, etc.

Opana is similar to morphine, it's a strong medication. But it depends on the mg dose of Opana vs the Oxycodone dose too. Opana is serious medication but so is oxy. Need you to tell us more information ... otherwise I would not have anything to base an accurate reply on.

You can also click on the highlighted names of the medications in your post and you'll pull up a link with information on each medication and you can read it for yourself. Please be careful with either medication. Not judging, just suggesting you use caution. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

R8RJenn is offline New Member

Hi Robert! Thanks for getting back to me.. sorry for being kinda vague about the medications... what I am taking... Neurontin 600mg 4 x day, Dilaudid 4mg 1-2 every 4 hrs, Cymbalta 60mg 2x day, Requip 3MG at night, I was taking 15mg oxycodone immediate realease 1-2 every 2 hrs then I was switched to 30mg imediate realease 1-2 pills every 2 hrs and now today he switch me to Opana 10mg immediate realease 1-3pills every 2 hrs. I also have Actiq for what the dr calls "Break through pain" which I can take up to 4 of them a day. I cant take time realeased medication due to a surgery I had about 5 yrs ago, (Gastric Bypass) so that is why I am not on time released medication! The condition I have now ended up with.. is RSD, Im not sure if you know anything about that condition, but that is why I am taking medication for pain. It started in one leg and now has spread to the other, I can still walk but have had to have nerve blocks basically every week for the last 8 months due to the severe nerve damage. I know these medications are "bad" and very addictive, trust me I do not want to be taking them, I would much rather have my "old life" back.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful! have a great day and thank you.

By the way, hope you dont mind me asking but how do you know so much about all of this/ you seem to be able to help everyone which is great!
    Jenn's in pain

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Hi R8RJenn,

I wish the drug companies could make a pain medication that would take all the pain away minus the addiction part but I digress.
    I as well take narcotic pain meds for osteoarthritis in my back, knees, hips, hands and feet. I have been on these for about 6 months now.

I take 5mg Oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain plus I take 5mg & 10mg Oxycontin ER. The 5mg is for when I have to go out but still have to function. The 10mg is for when my body decides to not co-operate and hurt like hell.

I know my condition pales in comparison to yours but you still have my sympathy as pain is pain & pain f*ckin sucks!!!
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by R8RJenn View Post
    Hi Robert! Thanks for getting back to me.. sorry for being kinda vague about the medications... what I am taking... Neurontin 600mg 4 x day, Dilaudid 4mg 1-2 every 4 hrs, Cymbalta 60mg 2x day, Requip 3MG at night, I was taking 15mg oxycodone immediate realease 1-2 every 2 hrs then I was switched to 30mg imediate realease 1-2 pills every 2 hrs and now today he switch me to Opana 10mg immediate realease 1-3pills every 2 hrs. I also have Actiq for what the dr calls "Break through pain" which I can take up to 4 of them a day. I cant take time realeased medication due to a surgery I had about 5 yrs ago, (Gastric Bypass) so that is why I am not on time released medication! The condition I have now ended up with.. is RSD, Im not sure if you know anything about that condition, but that is why I am taking medication for pain. It started in one leg and now has spread to the other, I can still walk but have had to have nerve blocks basically every week for the last 8 months due to the severe nerve damage. I know these medications are "bad" and very addictive, trust me I do not want to be taking them, I would much rather have my "old life" back.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful! have a great day and thank you.

By the way, hope you dont mind me asking but how do you know so much about all of this/ you seem to be able to help everyone which is great!

I currently moderate on two other forums, one is an autoimmune disease forum plus the time I spend here. I manage to stay busy. The RSD can really be a drag no doubt. There's no question. But my goodness your're taking a LOT of medication.

When I first detoxed I was taking thirty 30mg oxy per day plus 30-40 10/650 lorcets, tons of benzos, soma, sleeping pills and other assorted garbage. I think you're taking more drugs than I was! And I ended up holding a cocked gun to my head at one point. Thankfully God intervened. My heart stopped on me twice during that time as well. I only tell you that out of concern. I'm not judging you at all ... just asking you to please be careful. I finally had to stop it or it would have gotten me. I was losing it BAD.

As far as the Opana goes you've been given a high dose of that as well. Being that it's mixed with all the other meds I wouldn't think you should notice a lot of difference. Let us know how you're doing. Take care and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Sergoo7 is offline New Member

Hello first time here I see you have some knowledge on this opana and OxyContin ived been taking 80 mg 12 hour and got switch to opana 30 mg er 12 hour I'm scare to the switch what do you think I have been use to the 80 mg and can work been on them for 5 years I also take 40 mg Prozac and Wellbutrin 300 mg and 1/2 of ambien to sleep I have a pinch nerve in my neck and on both of my shoulders can you advise

thelangs13 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Are you taking the Opana ER ... the extended release? It's difficult to answer your question accurately based only on what information you've provided. You aren't giving us any mg amounts for each of the meds, what other meds you're talking about taking that may or may not affect how these medication react, etc.

Opana is similar to morphine, it's a strong medication. But it depends on the mg dose of Opana vs the Oxycodone dose too. Opana is serious medication but so is oxy. Need you to tell us more information ... otherwise I would not have anything to base an accurate reply on.

You can also click on the highlighted names of the medications in your post and you'll pull up a link with information on each medication and you can read it for yourself. Please be careful with either medication. Not judging, just suggesting you use caution. Good luck and God bless.

Hi Robert, I've seen you haven't continued to reply to this thread. I was really sorry to read about your history regarding narcotic pain medication and I completely understand hesitation to advise on this topic considering the likelihood of giving advice to someone who has a problem and is still in denial, it could make you feel like you are being put in the position of being an enabler. I ask you to carefully consider my rather "special circumstances". First and foremost I wish with all of my heart I did not need to take them at all. An extremely close family member has been struggling with opioid addiction most of her life and I see first hand the destruction it can cause.

Almost 4 years ago I suffered a pretty serious stroke that left me with temporary complete paralysis on the left side of my body along with an extremely uncomfortable sensation, like when your foot "goes to sleep" and the circulation has been blocked for just a little too long & u have to bang it on something. After 10 days inpatient hospital,10 more days inpatient rehab, unrelenting determination and just a few weeks outpatient rehab I was able to regain mu ability to walk, talk and use my left hand, minus the fine motor skills. Lucky by all accounts and released from outpt physical therapy early.

Iwantoff2013 is online now Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by thelangs13 View Post
    Hi Robert, I've seen you haven't continued to reply to this thread. I was really sorry to read about your history regarding narcotic pain medication and I completely understand hesitation to advise on this topic considering the likelihood of giving advice to someone who has a problem and is still in denial, it could make you feel like you are being put in the position of being an enabler. I ask you to carefully consider my rather "special circumstances". First and foremost I wish with all of my heart I did not need to take them at all. An extremely close family member has been struggling with opioid addiction most of her life and I see first hand the destruction it can cause.

Almost 4 years ago I suffered a pretty serious stroke that left me with temporary complete paralysis on the left side of my body along with an extremely uncomfortable sensation, like when your foot "goes to sleep" and the circulation has been blocked for just a little too long & u have to bang it on something. After 10 days inpatient hospital,10 more days inpatient rehab, unrelenting determination and just a few weeks outpatient rehab I was able to regain mu ability to walk, talk and use my left hand, minus the fine motor skills. Lucky by all accounts and released from outpt physical therapy early.
    Hi there. Robert actually "retired" from this forum after helping countless people with their addictions. That is why you don't see any replies from him.

Take care.