Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Neurontin
    chrish1 is offline Member

Hi everybody. I have been on Neurontin for several years, and it has worked great for myofacial pain disorder, which is primarily nerve pain. I was also taking Percocet, but I found that I was becoming addicted to it, so I discontinued using perc 46 days ago. The Neurontin seems to work fine on it's own. I have not had any noticable symptoms - liver enzymes are fine, no major weight gain, sexual function fine. neurontin has been a miracle drug for my pain, and it is the only one that worked without being addictive and getting me high. That's my 2 cents.
    Chrish

karma22 is offline New Member

I was wondering about weaning off of the Neurontin, does anyone know where i can find some rescourses? I am on 1200mg a day and I recently just lost my phyciatrist which we agreeded on gettig me off the neurontin and staying just on the paxil. (i have anxiety)

chrish1 is offline Member

Karma, Neurontin isn't addictive and it isn't a narcotic drug, so I would think that it would be fairly easy to wean off of. I am not an expert it that though. I'd ask your phyciatrist to be on the safe side.

quote:Originally posted by karma22

I was wondering about weaning off of the Neurontin, does anyone know where i can find some rescourses? I am on 1200mg a day and I recently just lost my phyciatrist which we agreeded on gettig me off the neurontin and staying just on the paxil. (i have anxiety)

blonde7angel is offline New Member

I've just started taking neurotin about a month ago for complicated migraines and some other problems. I have had a HUGE increase in my sex drive. Has anyone else had this as a side effect?

Beautiful is offline New Member

My dr put me on Neurontin a few years ago for restless legs. I will never take that medicine again. It made me feel "high", kind of crazy, like I was here, but I wasn't. It didn't help me sleep like the dr said. I was up half the night walking around the house feeling looney[)]. I decided to give it a another try the second night. After about 30 minutes, I started feeling psycotic again, and I panicked. I didn't want to go thru another night of pacing with my mind racing. I tried gagging to throw the pill back up. I was really scared. My heart was racing, I thought I was going to die. Never again!

kraines is offline New Member

Default Question(s) about Neurontin

My husband is diabetic (insulin dependent). I am trying to find info on different medications that might help the nerve pain that he seems to be having more and more.

One question is...when you take a dose of Neurontin, is the pain immediately relieved or is this more of a maintenence drug?

2nd question...is there someone out there that is taking Neurontin for neuropathy due to diabetes and how is it working?

AnniePoo is offline New Member

Default experience with gabapentin

I take 600 mg gabapentin 3X for a neuropathic pain syndrome (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/RSD) caused by a venipuncture nerve injury to my arm 3+ years ago.

Unmedicated, my symptoms of burning, aching, shooting sharps pains are very severe. Gabapentin usually keeps them under control enough so that I can live my life.

Yes, it slows your metabolism down. I gained 30 pounds the first year, then have managed to stay at the same weight. Yes, it causes frequent "brain fog", fatigue, etc. I'm learning to manage.

I tried another anticonvulsant, which also was helpful, but had similar short-term side effects and much worse potential long-term side effects. This stuff works for my pain, and I need it. Find me a cure for CRPS, and I'll stop taking it.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AnniePoo View Post
    I take 600 mg gabapentin 3X for a neuropathic pain syndrome (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/RSD) caused by a venipuncture nerve injury to my arm 3+ years ago.

Unmedicated, my symptoms of burning, aching, shooting sharps pains are very severe. Gabapentin usually keeps them under control enough so that I can live my life.

Yes, it slows your metabolism down. I gained 30 pounds the first year, then have managed to stay at the same weight. Yes, it causes frequent "brain fog", fatigue, etc. I'm learning to manage.

I tried another anticonvulsant, which also was helpful, but had similar short-term side effects and much worse potential long-term side effects. This stuff works for my pain, and I need it. Find me a cure for CRPS, and I'll stop taking it.

Unfortunately not all problems come with a cure. There are things that happen to us that we have to deal with and chronic pain is a tough one. Been there like many others here and I certainly understand.

There are no explanations or apologies necessary when someone has a real situation like chronic pain that can't be helped. Just try to stay focused on the fact that if your medication can just make things tolerable that should be all we really shoot for. It's when patients think that medication is supposed to make pain completely go away that they get themselves into trouble.

We are here if we can help. Thanks for sharing about your experience. Good luck and God bless.

polytech1981 is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Casey55 View Post
    I have been on Neurontin for almost 3 yrs.

I see many of you reporting weight gain and sexual side effects on Neurontin.

I have had neither, in fact I have lost 50 lbs while on it. I looked it up on several sites and the only indication for weight gain is in children and I don't find sexual side effects reported anywhere.

I take it for a mood stabilizer. It is often given along with an antidepressant. I was just wondering how many of you reporting the above side effects are also on an antidepresant with it.

If you are and it is one of the SSRI's, they are notorious for weight gain and sexual side effects. Or are there any other meds your are on that could be causing these side effects?

I have been on neurontin as well for about a month, and I have lost 6 pds so far, and feel pretty good. I had nausea and the high feeling about the 2nd week but it went away!!!!!

LondonToLA is offline Member

Has anyone used Neurontin to prevent seizures whilst withdrawing from Ambien or Lunesta?

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToLA View Post
    Has anyone used Neurontin to prevent seizures whilst withdrawing from Ambien or Lunesta?
    I was given that (or something very similar) in the hospital, during ambien detox. It did make the seizures less intense, but did not prevent them.
    Peter

Default Gabapentin for Chronic Migraines

Hello All,
    On Christmas day 2009 I was hospitalized with viral meningitis. Since that time i have had chronic migraines. I have been on many different medications and dosages. Currently I am taking 900 mg three times a day of gabapentin with Endocet and Imatrex as needed. When I can be awake, I am in a fog and really not there. I sometimes sleep 16 hours a day or more. I still have many headaches though. I want to do things with my wife and family but I just do not have the energy. Does any one else have any problems like these?

Damianna69 is offline Banned

Default Neurontin----here in Boston

hey, Here in Boston, Neurontin aka Johnnies are severely abused to the point where they are testing for them, I know this cuz my EX BF was eating them like candy, suffered a seizure and has them prescribed for alcholic neuropathy, hes in a halfway house now, and he cant take johnnies anymore, as they test for them, enoughtaken, it produces a ecstasy high, so just advice dont ???? with them, you can cause huge damage that is completly unreversable.......

babyfirefly717 is offline New Member

Default 9 year neurontin user

i was on neurontin for 9 years as a mood stabilizer and had no noticeable side effects from it, i even managed to lose 60 pounds while on it combined with other drugs. in '09 i was diagnosed as bipolar but they still kept me on it. when i moved i saw a new doc and he wanted me on lithium so i went along with it and he took me off the neurontin. needless to say i gained massive amounts of weight and am very unhappy. i started seeing a new doc about 2 months ago, he along with my therapist thinks i dont have bipolar and have dysthymia so i am being weaned off my risperdal (for sleep) and the lithium. im almost off the risperdal and so far i am doing good. if it ends up being that i am bipolar i will gladly go back on the neurontin. it was the longest med i was
    ever on and felt comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ivebeenhurtin View Post
    I read online that Neurotin is also used to treat Fibromyalgia as well? Is this true? Also why do so many medications have sexual side effects? I suffer from Chronic Migraines, Chronic Refractive Headaches, Fibromyalgia, Degenerative Disk Disease and Stenosis of L4-L5. My husband doesn't understand why my sexual responce isn't the same any more and blame himself, even though I have showed him the side effects of my medications. [?]What can I do to help this proglemm or make my husband understand that it is not Him???

[?]Another questiion is...Is all my coditions possible related to just one? Does anybody else here have a combination of these conditions???

Thanks for any help u can give,
    I be hurting![?]

Lord please help me to get through my every day. If there is no help than please jus take me away!
    IVEBEENHURTIN , Its many years later i Hope u made it,, u sound like me in your last sentance,,,,

deekar is offline New Member

I recently had a terrible experience with Neurontin. I have degenerative disk disease and have had one surgery already.

Before I give the affect, I will say that since then I have learned it comes in 100 and 300 mgms. My initial dose was for the 300 mgms, which increased over a few days to the 300, every 8 hours.

Nobody told me of any side effects, I initially experienced a 'drunk' feeling - couldn't stand straight, couldn't think, altered thoughts, it was weird. I thought they would go away after a few days that it would go away after I got used to it. It did sort of, I still had the focus issues, I did walk okay but I got aggravated so easily and my anger was more like rage. It was weird. I have spent my entire caring for others, putting others first, and not standing up for myself. A situation came up and because I couldn't comprehend the words in a two or three sentence email from my husband I got mad at him. I interpreted it to be the worse thing possible. I became enraged began yelling, acting crazy and punched him twice. I haven't done anything like that in twenty years. I should have been angry but not enraged. To get me away, my husband picked me up by the arms and instead of pushing me away, he threw me and I fell. I called the police but because I hit him first, I was taken to jail for domestic violence. I have never been in trouble haven't had a motor vehicle ticket since 2003 for an auto accident at an off ramp on an icy snowy surface. I think my last speeding ticket was more than 20 years ago. It has caused me more problems. I am losing my job, a job I have had for 21 years because of the residual affects and the incident described previously.

I caution anyone taking this medication to ask NOT to BEGIN at 300 mgms and ask questions. I go to court Monday, haven't seen my husband in almost a month, and now must see if there is any way possible to keep my job. I am not sure it is possible.

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Are you on this drugs by doctors orders? This is way too much neurontin. They want you to take it for nerve pain. I'd definitely see another doctor. I don't know where you live, but you need to get an advocate for yourself, because certainly the amount of neurtontin you're taking is affecting your life. I assume you're taking around 1800mg. of this stuff? Get an opinion from another doctor, explain your symptoms.

Iloerose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12