Need recommendations for a good anti-anxiety med
    ManDog141 is offline New Member

Default Need recommendations for a good anti-anxiety med

Hi-
    I am currently on 20mg of Lexapro. While it helps with my anxiety and depression, I have almost zero libido. And when I do have interest, I can acheive an erection, but have trouble "finishing."

I'll go back on Wellbutrin for the help with depression, but I need a good anti-anxiety drug that is not addictive that has low negative sexual side effects. The low or no libido is making trouble in my relationship, which is adding to my depression.

Thanks!

ManDog141 is offline New Member

After doing some research, it seems that either Xanax (the XR) or Klonopin might be good for me. I just worry about the addiction possibilities.

Right now I am on 40mg of Adderall XR, and I am going to try the Wellbutrin XR (300mg to 450mg) again. I don't think I was on Wellbutrin long enough to say yay or nay to if it helped or not.

Anyone else want to chime in with suggestions?

Angel13 is offline New Member

I am on effexor XR for depression and anxiety. My doc. said if this doesn't help then he will try Xanax. He said if I go on this I will be on it the rest of my life. He said it is almost impossible to get off of it. Let us know what you do and how you are. Take care.....

Angel

Gabi is offline New Member

Angel,
    I just want to say one thing about Xanax. I do NOT believe it is impossible to get off of, because I was off of it for 2 years. I slowly and methodically reduced the dose. For example I would start by literally breaking a pill in 1/4 and then wait for about 3-4 days if I did ok with NO anxiety, I would take the next dose and do the same thing. I was taking 4 mg per day (1mg 4xday) It took me almost 5-6 months to get down to taking only 1/4 of a mg PER DAY with NO anxiety. Xanax is a medication you CANNOT just stop taking all at once. It's not one that you can do cold turkey so to speak. You must do it slowly VERY SLOWLY... When you are down to a dose you are taking with NO ANXIETY, you can lower it yet again. I was only taking 1/4 mg ONCE PER DAY, for almost 2 years, with NO ANXIETY. However, I had some things happen in my life that were very hard to deal with in from May 2005-Jan 2006. I kept a lot of it pent up and it finally gave way to anxiety in January of this year. SO right now I am now taking 2 mg of Xanax (.50 mg 4x day) and am getting it under control again.

I don't know how long I will have to be on this dose, but my doctor is great and helps me when I need it. I have also decided to go to a therapist to find out WHY the anxiety returned. I never had any real therapy so there may be something causing it that I can control without the medication. I have been told that I have "Panic Disorder" which is anxiety to the extreme.... It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and when stress, lack of sleep or something traumatic comes along, my anxiety goes haywire.

But, I just wanted to say that all of these med's are hard to get off of, but NOT impossible if you have a doctor willing to help you. I did mine on my own and talked to my doctor about it as I was doing it. He says that due to the chemcial imbalance I may have to have some sort of Xanax for the rest of my life. But there will be times I will not need it at all.

So there is hope. I hope this helped.
    Health and Blessings
    Gabi

quote:Originally posted by Angel13

I am on effexor XR for depression and anxiety. My doc. said if this doesn't help then he will try Xanax. He said if I go on this I will be on it the rest of my life. He said it is almost impossible to get off of it. Let us know what you do and how you are. Take care.....

Angel
    Health and Blessings
    Gabi

SickatHeart is offline New Member

I will say that Xanax is a short-acting benzo, and also highly addictive. That is more from hearsay than experience, however.

I am on both an anti-depressant (Lexapro) and an anti-anxiety (clonazipam). When I have been on the clonazipam alone, I have had no sexual side effects at all (I am a woman). Clonazipam has a very long-half life, which means that if you take it at night, it will last through the next day. It does make you a bit tired, depending on how you react to it. There had been times where I have stopped taking it, and I haven't had withdrawal symptoms (just the same anxiety from before). I don't abuse it, however, and only take it as prescribed (1.5 mg at night, and an add'l 1.5 during the day if I need it, which I rarely do.

I really think clonazipam is a good medication for anxiety, but that is only my opinion.

I wonder if there is a possibility that you could try ONLY an anti-anxiety med, and not the anti-depressent? In my experience, almost all anti-depressents seem to have the side effects you mention... at least at the beginning.....

Of course, with (or even without) depression you don't want to just go off the meds cold turkey. I don't know if this was helpful at all, but I just wanted to put a word in for clonazipam which has been a godsend for me.

pickle06 is offline New Member

Im on Wellbutrin and Cipralex ( aka - Escitalopram) Cipralex specifically for anxiety. Best of Luck!

lil cuban is offline New Member

I found when taking Wellbutrin without a SSRI my enegy level increased but so did my depression. My doctor kept me on the Wellbutrin and put me back on Celexa and that worked best for me. I had been on SSRI's for years and had low sex drive and when taking the W and C together my sex drive went up considerably. I have a male friend who takes that same combo and it has worked well for him as well.

Casey55 is offline Member

If Wellbutrin was working well for your depression, there are several anti-anxiety medications you can try to take with it to help with your anxiety. They do not cause sexual side effects but can have an addictive nature, Xanax being number one. If one of the others helps, I would go that route.

Do you have chronic anxiety or anxiety attacks. Klonopin makes wafers that you can take on an as needed basis that work about 10 mins after you put one under your tongue, which dissolved in seconds. It comes in pill form for chronic anxiety.

Good Luck

Topa is offline New Member

I’m new here…
    I’ve a question concerning Cipralex. Last year I took it for the first time because of panic attacks and anxiety. It helped me wonderful, actually after 1 week I felt wonderful again.
    After 1.5 years anxiety came back. I started again with Cipralex (like before, 10 mg per day). It’s been 7 weeks now and it is not helping like before… Did anyone have experience with taking Cipralex the second time, after break? How was it working?

philipcfromnyc is offline New Member

I know that this recommendation will draw fire from people concerned about the potential for dependency, but I am going to go out on a limb and make a virtually unqualified recommendation. I have suffered from incapacitating anxiety attacks since my late teens, and was placed on a benzodiazepine named clobazam as a freshman (I was born and raised in South Africa, where clobazam is available under the brand name Urbanol). This drug marked the beginning of my experiences with the benzodiazepines, which are now becoming less difficult to get from doctors (at least, that is my perception) than was the case 10 years ago, when it was almost impossible to get a prescription for Valium, Xanax, or any other benzodiazepine. However, I have found that the most effective and the most efficient medication to control panic attacks is definitely Xanax (alprazolam). No other benzodiazepine is capable of aborting a panic attack as effectively as this particular drug (at least, that has been my experience). While the half-life of this drug is shorter than that of Valium and Klonopin, I find that Xanax is extremely useful, both in putting out the fires when they are in full flare, and in preventing them from occurring in the first place. This drug is much better, in my experience, than any of the SSRIs, and although I have read numerous horror stories about people becoming addicted to this drug, I have never experienced any negative effects from failing to take a dose -- and I am on high doses (2 mg twice or thrice daily, depending on how I feel). I have gone several days without taking this medication and have never experienced any of the more serious withdrawal symptoms that so many users of the benzodiazepines report.

I recently stumbled upon a withdrawal schedule for Xanax taken in high doses. The schedule called for substitution of Valium for Xanax in the evenings, and then in the afternoons, and then entirely (in high doses); this substitution was then followed by very small decrements in the amount of Valium consumed over a long time period. The author made it clear that sudden withdrawal from Xanax can be extremely unpleasant for those individuals who, unlike me, suffer from serious dependency when placed on therapeutic doses of this drug.

I am amazed by individual differences in the manner in which people get hooked on the benzodiazepines. I always like to have a generous supply available, but I have never engaged in "doctor shopping" or any of the "drug-seeking" behaviors that so many physicians report. Quite simply, I have never felt the need. These drugs have been very useful to me, and I am encouraged by the fact that doctors now appear to be more willing to prescribe them than was the case just 10 years ago, when trying to obtain a Xanax prescription was like trying to pull teeth. I hope that I am not alone in noting this trend -- I hope that it is a real trend and not a mere product of my imagination. I would be very interested in knowing whether other patients who take benzodiazepines have noticed that this has become much easier than used to be the case.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

PHILIP

raspberry60 is offline New Member

For me, Xanax-XR is the best!. I use the 1-mg tablet. The generic alprazolam equivalent is not as effective, so I have my Dr. state "name brand necessary". The .25 mg immediate-release Xanax is not effective at all.

Xanax-XR makes me calm, but alert. It does NOT sedate me in any way. It makes an enormous difference in anxiety-inducing situations. For instance, I took one this morning due to having make a presentation at work. In contrast, I find Clonazepam very sedating (I used is as sleeping pill.)

gqblu is offline Junior Member

Hey Phillip, I totally agree that xanax works great for panic attacks. It is in many ways a "miracle" drug.

I am also very pleased to hear that you are not one of the people (like me) that had a very adverse reaction to stopping my 6-10 mg xanax habit.

My problems occurred mainly because the Dr. I was seeing that gave me copious amounts of xanax on demand decided to retire. I didn't think much of it at first but then withdrawals and panic kicked in and I realized that my new Dr. was not nearly as generous with the scripts. Anyway, that started a long lonely journey into weaning then quitting xanax. I went certifiably insane, I thought I was going to die every single minute of every single day for 4 months. I kept it inside though and made it through.

Well, as you can see I quit originally because of supply disruptions and continue to abstain because i don't want to get hooked again and then run into another supply disruption...don't want to ever go through that again. In all honesty i'd rather be hooked to >>>>>> (no intention of doing that!)

Take good care

gqblu is offline Junior Member

Topa,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Anxiety sucks I concur.

Hopefully your issue is resolved by now but you have at least three medication related choices (you actually have a lot more):

1. Change drugs..another SSRI like Cipralex or a SNRI?
    2. Increase your dosage?
    3. Take another drug that "enhances" the anxiolytic effect of Cipralex...Buspirone maybe???

Anyway talk to your Dr. about your options.

Take great care!

tamara02 is offline Banned

Guys I wish there was somethng out there to help with all the depression and anxiety with out having to take SSRI's. So many people are dying due to taking SSRI's mainly Lexapro.This man we will call Ray 32 yrs old.He committed suicide 2 days after learning that he had won a excellence award 2 yrs in a row,Had ray and his Dr.known of the increased risk of suicide and Suicidal Ideation from Lexapro He would of never taken it.also a study founded in part by Eli Lilly and smith kline beecham,that reports that the incident of deliberate self-harm of people on SSRI Meds.is 5.5 times higher than that of people on the More Traditional Tricyclic anti-depressents..Also a person filed a lawsiut in 2006 againsr Forest Labs when his only 2 sons died of Lexapro- induced suicides,The lawsuit charged that Forest Labs Knew of the increased risk of suicide ,YET Failed to conduct tests to see how often the problem ocurred and failed to properly WARN Doctor's ,Pharmacists and Patients of the risk ,or provide ways to reduce the risk.Simply put, with all the known harms Identified over the past 20 yrs.associated with SSRi's,They Do Not Even Work. Tamm

fadedhorizon is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Buspar is the only medicine known (in its causes) to relieve anxiety.

For those who are on xanax long term... go see another doctor. That is supposed to be a short term medicine... It is highly addictive and should not be used on a regular basis.

Try Buspar and looking for an antidepressant that works for you (because anxiety's underlying cause is depression)

Go here and don't let medicine be your number one factor in your recovery.

http://www.panicattacks.com.au/

AlrpazolamNewbie is offline New Member

I started taking Xanx for anxiety, to slow my heart rate down. Although the medicine worked, it was extremely habit forming. I was experiencing addictive symptoms after only two weeks on it. Also, it made me really "out of it" and loopy, and also very tired. Be careful of your choice!

gjf711 Guest

Default Clonazepam

Clonazepam Orally distegrating tablets (ODT) its a small dose about .25 mg but it does wonders and you take it as needed.

Default Anxiety

I feel like I need to be taking something to stop my anxiety but after reading the different posts about Xanax and Klonopin I'm almost afraid to ask my doctor to put me on either of them. I definitely would not take Valium. I took it for over 10 years and it took around 15 weeks to wean myself off of it.

A few years ago we had a tragedy in our family which caused my B/P to go sky high so my husband called my doctor and he gave me Valium to calm me down but it did just the opposite. It caused my heart to beat so fast and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I felt that way for over 12 hours and I could hardly wait until it was time to go to bed and it took me forever to go to sleep but when I woke up the next morning I felt fine and I threw the rest of the Valium in the trash. I would never advise anyone to take it.
    Last edited by dreamweaver~42; 03-18-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typo

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Valium is probably the best benzo to wean off of.Before anyone commits to taking benzo's they should exhaust all other avenues such as seeing a professional about their anxiety attacks.Remember that benzodiazepines although they have a place for short term use were never meant to be taken chronically.Benzodiazepine addiction and withdrawl are probably the worst along with alcohol.And the withdrawls can literally kill you.So be careful and get informed before you decide that this is the route you want to go.......Dave

philipcfromnyc is offline New Member

Default Benzodiazepines and dependency......

There is no question that the BZDs have a propensity for physical and psychological addiction. However, not all people react similarly with respect to withdrawal. I have taken high doses of Xanax (an extremely addictive BZD) for prolonged periods of time, but I have never had a BZD withdrawal reaction. However, it is entirely possible that such a reaction is masked by other medications that I take to control problems caused by Marfan Syndrome. I think that it is very important to alert people to the possible dangers without assuming that every user will develop full-blown dependency. That is what I meant in my message above.

PHILIP
    PHILIP

skialpsfanatic is offline New Member

Default Lexapro Withdrawl

Lexapro worked great for my GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and my obsessive compulsive thought disorder, however, I decided to go off of it due to my: decreased libido and the difficulty in achieving orgasm after going on Lexapro.

I am currently experiencing withdraw side effects that are quite uncomfortable. I get "electric jolts" well over one hundred times/day. Sometimes it feels like sticking your finger in a light socket, and the flash runs through your arms to your head or vice versa or from your legs--it doesn't hurt, but it's not comfortable!!

Also, sometimes I have visual issues with this, and also when these electric flashes are going through my body, as it goes past my head it feels/sounds like my "hearing gets quiet." or there's a "quiet rush" through my ears.

Is anyone else experiencing something like this??

all2007 is offline New Member

Smile

I know what u mean. Im 33 and have had anxiety and some dep. for ever... very first med i ever took for this was a year ago. had never sought treatment before that.. stupid eh.. well dr gave me 10mg lexapro for my starter packs!! he is a general prac. dr. and handed me a brown bag with like 6 months worth of the stuff then says - oh- it will take 8 weeks to work.. i was like WTF???

i was actually shocked it takes so long and yeah it did.. but i wonder how many folks end up just killing themselves waiting for the mes to acutally reach full potential ya know?? thats insane.. i blacked out in my driveway i jsut remember waking up on the cement my knees all bloody.. glad it wasnt my head.. or that i wasnt on the road driving! also blacked out in my toddlers room about 3am when i felt my way in the dark to "click " off the chain for the ceiling fan i reached up feeling for it -couldnt see a thing- and CRASH! woke up had crashed backwards into all his toys hit my head on the wall damn hurt too! the stuff wacked me out bad! i had horrible nightmares. like the ones u had as a kid with werewolves chasing u! (or am i the only one who had those)hahaah
    woudl just be drenced every night sweaty like i had got out of the pool!
    i stopped cold turkey at 4 or 5 months... it wasnt too bad. a few shocks here and there in my head . but it was kind interesting and it added some different"ness" to my boring life so i didnt mind.

he wanted me to take effexor after that.. i didnt touch em ahhaha i was too scared! no onder i my anxiety is back .. big time.. oh-xanax -well it just makes me fall asleep! everything does..isnt that odd? lots of folks recommmend adavan? not sure how 2 spell.. heard its calming but no drowsyness so i would love to try that! i think the lexapro thing freaked me out.. so now i am just on my own random things. lex did make me numb to all my issues . so. i could call me names or treat me like ******************** and frankley >> just veg out and not care or even feel hurt hahah so- bad yes- but better than nothin i dunno yet. if any of u see sopranos where aj was on lex?? i was rollin!! laughing i said ohhh wait he will kill himself watch !! i knew he woudl try. just thought it was funny of all the meds he was on lex
    mary lee
    near san diego.ca

kaileyb is offline Member

i would say klonopin. i am on that and celexa. i had anxiety to the point i couldn't breathe,,,, AT ALL. i have asthma too and that and the anxiety were not helping each other. ANYWAY, i took one .5 klonopin an hour ago and i feel AWESOME. no more gasping for air. they make me habit forming but then again, aren't most drugs, u know? u gotta weigh the good and the bad. take as prescribed and u should do pretty good.

eugenian is offline New Member

Wink I have found that clonapin and xanax have worked well

I have had anxiety problems most of my life and I am on clonapin 1 in am and 2 at bedtime and up to 2 more if needed throughout the day. After taking it for a while the tiredness wares off and you just feel calm. It is great. I hope this helps. I also have xanax for acute panic attacks, they work faster then the clonapin.

Quote Originally Posted by ManDog141 View Post
    Hi-
    I am currently on 20mg of Lexapro. While it helps with my anxiety and depression, I have almost zero libido. And when I do have interest, I can acheive an erection, but have trouble "finishing."

I'll go back on Wellbutrin for the help with depression, but I need a good anti-anxiety drug that is not addictive that has low negative sexual side effects. The low or no libido is making trouble in my relationship, which is adding to my depression.

Thanks!

JustSomeGuy is offline Junior Member

In my own experience, I found Xanax to be extremely habit forming, and I was dependent on it in no time at all (Maybe a couple weeks or so). Granted, I was on a fairly high dose (4mg), and for a while I was prescribed 8mg/day. Withdrawals, ever though it was tapered slowly, were awful. And I could never, ever leave the house without a few mg's in my pocket because after 4 hours or so the drug started wearing off and I had a real need to get some back into my body, and quickly. But, thats just me, and of course, everybody is different and will have different reactions to it. My main problem is that I am prone to addiction with many sorts of drugs, and that can be a real problem for me.

famikeg is offline New Member

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned amitriptyline; I take it for depression and anxiety and find it very effective, only having the occasional panic attack nowdays, and they go away pretty quick with 2-5mg diazapam (which I only take when completely necessary to avoid getting hooked)...

theguest688 is offline New Member

I would say get on a tolerable treatment regimen for the anxiety and depression (make sure its diagnosed right though). frequently the same SSRI's can be used to treat both, whatever works for you is whatever works for you. One can supplement the treatment with clonazapam (mostly for the anxiety) which has convenient ODT wafers now (they actually taste quite good from personal experience...on clonazepam ODT for a few years now...) and if the depression is still a problem, it's not unheard of to use a low-mid dose of dextroamphetamine in adjunct therapy...it'll also offset the drowsiness and what not of the Klonopin which in turn offsets some of the stimulating effects of the amphetamine...Could work. Dependence liabilites vary from person to person so thats a question one has to ask themselves (hmmmm would i be tempted to...no). Also, having dextroamphetamine as long term adjunct therapy could be a hassle, it is currently DEA Sched II in the US so...no refills and much closer scrutiny.