After 2+ years with Suboxone, relapses, benzos, and antidepressants, I'm finally off everything except for the Suboxone and relatively stable at about 2mg a day. I've tried a few times to stop the Suboxone with varying degrees of failure, mostly similar to others' experiences in this forum. I have yet to try a solid, structured and well thought out plan for tapering though.

With or without the Vivitrol (Naltexone injection monthly) I do plan on a regimented tapering plan first, as it can't be started until after a few days minimum after the last Suboxone dose. But what I don't understand is, what is the benefit of the Naltexone at that point? From what I've learned so far, it merely blocks the effects of opiates and possibly reduces cravings. But how is that supposed to help with the effects of Suboxone "withdrawal"?

Or, is it just an insurance plan - because running out of or stopping Suboxone commonly leads to relapse? In other words - if one takes the injection, then opiate use would not make you feel any better, and you can't take Suboxone either. In that sense, is it like a neurological straight-jacket?

These are things I will ask my doctor - he just brought it up in the last visit so we didn't get too much into the details. But this is the same doctor who told me at the beginning that I could basically stop Suboxone at any time with the only adverse affects being "a little depression and fatigue for a few days.". Methinks he's starting to realize after two years that it ain't quite so simple!

I've read the stories and I sympathize, believe me. But I'm still thankful for Suboxone as anything is better than cold turkey - even with what's to come. The issue I have it that it's been been mis-represented by the pharmaceutical and medical communities in many situations. I feel my recovery has been set back over a year simply because I didn't know what to expect from the beginning.

Thanks to everyone here for your time and sharing!