Methadone Withdrawal and Suicide
    tori13vc is offline New Member
    Most of the time in my own head but logistically speaking, near cleveland ohio

Exclamation Methadone Withdrawal and Suicide

I am posting this same thread in Drug Information. I wanted to do both so I could get as mich information as I could as this is so very important to me.. It is a question that i need answered so I know how to move on. So please forgive me for posting it twice.

Can Methadone Withdrawal cause Suicide??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need Help please, My uncle whom I loved very much killed himself sunday mornig. He was a very sick man. He Has been sick for 31 years with Chrohn's. He was treated mostly with predisone, which is a good short term drug but back then they didnt know or have much and much did not work for him. Through the years many other things have made him sick , basicly due to the results of what the predisone had done to his body, he was in constant pain, being ravaged inside through his organs, legally blind, you touched him his skin bled. He had so many problems. But he was the kindest sweetest STRONGETS BRAVEST Man I have ever and WILL EVER KNOW! These last few years he was on methadone for the pain. He recieved his metadone through the pain management clinic where he lived, Only enough for once a day per week. You lost it u were screwed. 2 weeks ago he was in temendous pain, took more then one days worth, so a few days later tried to get his RX filled earlier by changing the date...wrong I know BUT he was TERMINALLY ILL and IN TREMENDOUS PAIN! Lng story short, he didnt get in trouble with the law but Pain management cut him off completely.... He called and called, his wife called and called, they wouldnt call back, they did not check on him...nothing.
    This Sunday morning he shot himself. I dont know if the pain was just too much, all these years of being sick were too much ,or if the methadone withdrawal put him into a suicidal mood or helped it come on... I can not find out much information on the net , its hard to look, I know you good people will help me with some answers if you have it... But PLEASE KNOW THIS HE WAS A WONDERFUL MAN WITH A WONDERFUL HEART WHO LOVED HIS FAMILY SOOO VERY MUCH, HE IS STILL TO ME THE BRAVEST MAN I KNOW, NO MATTER HOW HE LEFT US.
    Thank you, Vikki

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tori13vc View Post
    I am posting this same thread in Drug Information. I wanted to do both so I could get as mich information as I could as this is so very important to me.. It is a question that i need answered so I know how to move on. So please forgive me for posting it twice.

Can Methadone Withdrawal cause Suicide??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need Help please, My uncle whom I loved very much killed himself sunday mornig. He was a very sick man. He Has been sick for 31 years with Chrohn's. He was treated mostly with predisone, which is a good short term drug but back then they didnt know or have much and much did not work for him. Through the years many other things have made him sick , basicly due to the results of what the predisone had done to his body, he was in constant pain, being ravaged inside through his organs, legally blind, you touched him his skin bled. He had so many problems. But he was the kindest sweetest STRONGETS BRAVEST Man I have ever and WILL EVER KNOW! These last few years he was on methadone for the pain. He recieved his metadone through the pain management clinic where he lived, Only enough for once a day per week. You lost it u were screwed. 2 weeks ago he was in temendous pain, took more then one days worth, so a few days later tried to get his RX filled earlier by changing the date...wrong I know BUT he was TERMINALLY ILL and IN TREMENDOUS PAIN! Lng story short, he didnt get in trouble with the law but Pain management cut him off completely.... He called and called, his wife called and called, they wouldnt call back, they did not check on him...nothing.
    This Sunday morning he shot himself. I dont know if the pain was just too much, all these years of being sick were too much ,or if the methadone withdrawal put him into a suicidal mood or helped it come on... I can not find out much information on the net , its hard to look, I know you good people will help me with some answers if you have it... But PLEASE KNOW THIS HE WAS A WONDERFUL MAN WITH A WONDERFUL HEART WHO LOVED HIS FAMILY SOOO VERY MUCH, HE IS STILL TO ME THE BRAVEST MAN I KNOW, NO MATTER HOW HE LEFT US.
    Thank you, Vikki
    Vikki,So sorry for your loss.Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.Withdrawal causes depression that is for sure.I would think it would be safe to say many people have committed suicide while in W/d.However,your uncle has lead such a challenging life that I believe it was a culmination of things..Chronic pain is depressing by itself,combine that with everything else your uncle has gone thru and in my opinion.." I am an addict in recovery" I would say it was a combination of things.Your uncle had been through too much in life to commit suicide just because of the w/d from methadone..I personnaly don't believe that methadone w/d was the reason for his suicide.It was a combination of things that was possibly exacerbated by the w/d.It sounds like he was just tired of it all.Especially the pain.I believe strongly in God and I believe your uncle is in a better place and pain free now..I often wonder though why some people get short changed in life.Its tough.Really sorry for your loss.Hope this helps.God bless you and your family.MM

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Vickie

I agree with musicman about this likely being from everything combined. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I know that it's hard to understand when something like this happens. I was so mad when my brother died from a stupid staff infection at 26 in the 70s. I was mad at God big time. My brother never hurt anyone, I was the scumbag not him. It didn't seem fair and it wasn't.

The only thing I can say is like musicman said your uncle is in a better place now. I am a Christian but there are still things that happen that I would never claim to understand. Some things are just bigger than we are. I do know that at a time like this God can bring us comfort and peace in knowing that our short time on earth in the flesh, no matter how much pain and misery we live in, is short compared to an eternity of peace and joy with our Creator. I know for myself that it will be a better place for me when I leave. That is when I will receive my reward when He says,"Well done." I'm not in a hurry to go, but when it happens I'm okay with it. I will keep your uncle and your family in my prayers. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

musicman, your kind words touched me. Thank you for that
    His name was Sonny, when I was a little girl he was everything to me, i thought he was what his name was my uncle sunshine... i know now he still is. He did what was right for him. But I struggle with why he had to be sick at all. He had such a horrible childhood, him and my mom, their dad was a very bad person, and I understand the "free will " thing with god but Im struggling with the why he had to be sick, so very sick for so long, terminal, why other do as well, why does god allow that. Im sorry if I offend you or anyone else who reads this but Im hurt and Im angry and I just dont get it. God can fix us he can make us better, thats what we pray for thats what we ask all the time right?
    But soooo many suffer , children, adults, diseases that cant be cured. Pain thats so bad, that no matter how much you love your spouse, your children and your grandbabies, no matter how much they are your life, the pain is so dam bad that you have to take a shotgun and end it. I DO NOT THINK I WILL EVER UNDERSTAND WHY GOD ALLOWS THAT AND I REALLY WANT TO.
    He did what was right for him, and hes ok now.
    I am sorry if i have offended you and your faith, but sometimes the keyboard, and a stranger ....well you know .
    Vikki
    Last edited by tori13vc; 01-22-2009 at 08:15 PM.

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tori13vc View Post
    musicman, your kind words touched me. Thank you for that
    His name was Sonny, when I was a little girl he was everything to me, i thought he was what his name was my uncle sunshine... i know now he still is. He did what was right for him. But I struggle with why he had to be sick at all. He had such a horrible childhood, him and my mom, their dad was a very bad person, and I understand the "free will " thing with god but Im struggling with the why he had to be sick, so very sick for so long, terminal, why other do as well, why does god allow that. Im sorry if I offend you or anyone else who reads this but Im hurt and Im angry and I just dont get it. God can fix us he can make us better, thats what we pray for thats what we ask all the time right?
    But soooo many suffer , children, adults, diseases that cant be cured. Pain thats so bad, that no matter how much you love your spouse, your children and your grandbabies, no matter how much they are your life, the pain is so dam bad that you have to take a shotgun and end it. I DO NOT THINK I WILL EVER UNDERSTAND WHY GOD ALLOWS THAT AND I REALLY WANT TO.
    He did what was right for him, and hes ok now.
    I am sorry if i have offended you and your faith, but sometimes the keyboard, and a stranger ....well you know .
    Vikki
    Tori,Not only did you not offend me ,but I agree with you.I have alot of questions for God myself.Why he takes good people at a young age and allows good people to suffer.It angers me too.We will find out one day.I just trust in him that there is
    a reason.I have a lot of questions for him when I get there.

Robert,
    Thank you for your sweet words, I know in my heart it was really just his choice and I actually am ok with that. He was a wonderful man. He deserved so much better. I hope now he has it. I dont know how much comfort God can bring me rght now, im pretty pissed at him, but thank you and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman48 View Post
    Tori,Not only did you not offend me ,but I agree with you.I have alot of questions for God myself.Why he takes good people at a young age and allows good people to suffer.It angers me too.We will find out one day.I just trust in him that there is
    a reason.I have a lot of questions for him when I get there.
    Musicman,
    I was so afraid that I had offended you or someone else. When I spoke to my best friend and tried to explain the same feelings to her she responded with anger, i didnt need her to agree or anything all I realy wanted was for her to listen. So your response brought me such sweet comfort. You are a good person, thank you.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Methadone can cause terrible pain and suicidal thoughts if you come off it to quickly. I personnely know a couple people who tried to jump off methadone and had such terrible pain that they both wrote suicide notes. Fortunately they both got back on methadone and detoxed properly.
    I'm very sorry about your uncle, nobody deserves to die in that kind of pain........Dave

Thank You Dave,
    Its hard to know what was going on ,each day we find out a little more. Im not sure we will ever really know if it was from the methadone wd or he had just finally decided he couldnt do it anymore. I know everyday was a struggle with his disease, so I dont blame him, I never could, I just wish like you said, that he didnt have to have that pain. He wrote a couple of notes, but some were hard to make out, I dont think he could even write after a certain point.But anyways
    Thanks for taking the time to write me,
    Vikki

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hang in there, it takes time but you will begn to feel better. Eat a high protien diet for a couple months minimum. Try and get out for a walk at least twice a day as even walking helps produce endorphin's. Drink sports drinks like gatorade, stay away from energy drinks that have tons of caffeine ect. I don't even drink the so called safe energy drinks. Live as healthy as you can and you won't need that stuff. Anyway, have you had a look at "The Thomas Recipe" for opiate withrawls, worth a look.....Good luck....Dave

mas215 is offline Junior Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. There's nothing worse than losing a close family member to suicide no matter the reason. I lost my brother 20 years ago. We were both opiate addicts and fortunately I got on a methadone program, he refused. The withdrawals and daily life of looking for doctors to get a script were just too much for him. I begged him come with me to the program, I know how difficult withdrawal can be. So it's not just withdrawal from methadone, it can be withdrawal from ANY drug. So painful that you just will do anything to end the pain. For me, methadone was a life saver. It's been over 20 years and I still take a daily dose (I get monthly takeouts), supportive family and good job. I know if I could have convinced my brother to follow me he would still be here today.

The one thing you cannot do is to change the prescription. I understand he was in so much pain that he did it to get his meds early, but even though the law didn't get involved, the doctors cut him off for that reason. It's too bad he didn't just explain what happened and maybe they could have helped him thru the days where he had no methadone left. It's always easy to say "woulda, coulda, shoulda"....I still think that way and wonder what I could have done so my brother was still here. Again my condolences.

ameliabadelia is offline New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm so angry that your uncle had to die in pain. I'm comforted in knowing that he is not in pain now, and I hope his wife, you and his family are comforted in that too.

PKINVA is offline New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. It was the withdrawl and the fighting that made him give up. He should have been able to get some relief from somewhere.