Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Lexapro - Withdrawal symptoms
    ginnyh69 is offline New Member

Thank you for the info.
    Did you or anyone else on this forum experience sever fatigue and or backaches on Lexapro?
    Ginnyh69

freespirit1083 is offline New Member

benedryl really helps with withdrawl symptoms? what syptoms does it relieve? i stopped taking lexapro 4 days ago. i had been on 10mg for almost 2 years. so far my only side effects are those brain zaps... at least i think thats what im experiencing. i get sorta disoriented for a plit second and feel like im going through vertigo. it happens alot more when im moving around as opposed to being stationary and i also get extremely hot. no sweating just hot. i still cant sleep at night but i had insomnia for the past year. the dr. gave me lunesta 3mg for it and at first that worked great then after a week it didnt work anymore. i feel like im going nuts. but i want to be off the drug. i suffered from bad panic attacks to the point where i would pass out but i havent even had so much as an anxiety attack since i started meds. i think its time for me to get off but i dont want it to seem like i'm on drugs to the outside world (since no one except for a select few knew i was on lexapro) and i feel like i'm "on" something even though its actually me getting off something if that makes any sense. i read somewhere that prolonged use of lexapro causes permanent damage to neurotransmitters and i dont want my brain to be fried by the time im 40 bc of this (im 25 now). i dont abuse drugs, legal or illegal, never have never will and my drinking is once in a blue moon. so its not like i have anything else in my system. i smoke ciggs but ive been doing that since i was 13. does anyone have any advice on how i can appear more normal while coming off of being on lex? any ideas on how i can sleep at night? i have read some of the posts on here and it seems like everyone is going through similar things bc of lex.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Arrow freespirit

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit1083 View Post
    benedryl really helps with withdrawl symptoms? what syptoms does it relieve? i stopped taking lexapro 4 days ago. i had been on 10mg for almost 2 years. so far my only side effects are those brain zaps... at least i think thats what im experiencing. i get sorta disoriented for a plit second and feel like im going through vertigo. it happens alot more when im moving around as opposed to being stationary and i also get extremely hot. no sweating just hot. i still cant sleep at night but i had insomnia for the past year. the dr. gave me lunesta 3mg for it and at first that worked great then after a week it didnt work anymore. i feel like im going nuts. but i want to be off the drug. i suffered from bad panic attacks to the point where i would pass out but i havent even had so much as an anxiety attack since i started meds. i think its time for me to get off but i dont want it to seem like i'm on drugs to the outside world (since no one except for a select few knew i was on lexapro) and i feel like i'm "on" something even though its actually me getting off something if that makes any sense. i read somewhere that prolonged use of lexapro causes permanent damage to neurotransmitters and i dont want my brain to be fried by the time im 40 bc of this (im 25 now). i dont abuse drugs, legal or illegal, never have never will and my drinking is once in a blue moon. so its not like i have anything else in my system. i smoke ciggs but ive been doing that since i was 13. does anyone have any advice on how i can appear more normal while coming off of being on lex? any ideas on how i can sleep at night? i have read some of the posts on here and it seems like everyone is going through similar things bc of lex.
    Benedryl can serve a few purposes during the withdrawl. The most common is that taking benedryl before bedtime can help you sleep as drowsiness is one of its effects. As strange as this may sound, benedryl can also help nausea. I also smoke and have since age 13 also, I am now 35. My smoking has increased significantly while on lexapro, it seems to make my nicotine cravings stronger...Have you noticed any difference in how much you smoke since being on lexapro? There is no conclusive evidence that SSRI's cause PERMANENT damage or changes in brain chemistry so, try not to focus on that; it only makes you feel worse and you DO NOT need that right now. If you have only been off of lex for 4 days you may not yet be feeling the full effects of stopping, it can take as much as 8 days for symptoms to appear. I am not trying to alarm you however, I do want to caution you in the hope that, should more symptoms occur you will be better prepared to deal with them. I have been on one SSRI or another for 11 years due to panic attacks also, so, I understand the "feeling like you are on something" when you are comming off af the SSRI med. Do you take a benzodiazepine? Lunesta disrupts neuro-transmitters as well, most rx sleep meds do, Ambien especially. If you can manage without an rx sleep med that would be great. Try passion flower capsules one or two 250mg capsules 2-3 times daily for anxiety or just take two 250mg capsules before bed. Passion flower is very safe, I even ran it by my pharmacist after doing my own re-search just to be sure and, it helps me alot. I would stay away from melatonin supplements at least for awhile until you your sleep cycles have a chance to re-regulate. Dramamine or other motion sickness OTC meds help some people with the vertigo/balance problems as well as the nausea. I hope that you tapered slowly off of the lex. There is not realy anything that you can take to "make you appear normal" while in withdrawl. I wish there was . If the withdrawls hit and become overwhelming, you can re-instate to your previously effective lex dose until you are stable, wait a few weeks to a month and then begin a slower more gradual taper. How successfull you will be at staying off the lexapro has alot to do with how you stopped taking it. I hope that you are one of the people who does not have a difficult time withdrawling. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck to you....Peace...Erin

dancinsunshine is offline Junior Member

Default My Head Huuuuuuuuurts!!!

O.K. Ya'll It's a week today that i went down to 15mgs and i have had no side effects at all besides this fn headache for the past THREE days!! My neck is extremely tense and the headache is just there. All day and until i go to bed. I am not having any trouble sleeping or anything else. No sexual side effects..nothing. Just the painful headaches. Anyone experienced the neck/headaches when tapering off??? I' am definately not lowering any time soon. I have vacation in 23 days i want the pain to go away...
    Sunshine

Lioness2345 is offline New Member

Smile Getting Off Lexapro

I had been on 10 mg. of Lexapro. Because of 3 side effects, I have chosen
    to go off it. These side effects were 1. Food cravings and overeating and
    sugar cravings like I've never known with consequent weight gain. 2. Joint pain and tremors in my arms and hands when I awake. 3. Headaches.
    (Note: I started using the Bodypure foot patch, which is supposed to
    detoxify your body and interestingly enough after it's first use, my headache
    went away the next morning. I had had a headache every morning for
    3 weeks and had to take bufferin everyday with breakfast.)

I am having good success with weaning off the Lexapro thanks to all the
    advice here. I purchased a 7- Day pill container at Walgreens. In it I put
    3/4 of a pill for 9 consecutive days. Then I went to 1/2 pill for 10 days.
    Now I am at 1/4 pill for 9 days. After 9 days of the 1/4 pill --I will go without it every other day 1/4 and then I may stop completely. I have not had any "brain zaps". I do feel a bit tired. But I am taking B Vitamins. The night sweats have all but gone away at this point. I have not had the obsessive thinking and/or any depression return so far. I am using "cognitive therapy"
    to gain control over those problems. Hope you all find this useful.

dancinsunshine is offline Junior Member

Default I hear ya Lioness!!

I just have to express my aggravation with the whole weight gain thing. Man, I am down to half the dose i was on (from 30mgs to 15mgs now) and i am not seeing the weight budge yet. I was hoping when i started lessening the dose it would start to come off. I have gained about 20-25lbs being on this stuff and it is miserable for me. I am a little girl and i have NEVER been overweight. I actually struggled with an eating disorder when i was 14-15yrs old and have ALWAYS been very weight conscious. This is so difficult for me, because i cant do anything to make it come off. I eat right..not perfect but really good and exercise and drink a ton of water. I use to see a change in about two weeks if I'd "diet" which meant ..tons of water and lots of protein low carbs..etc..well NO MORE and this sux! It is summer time I'm 28yrs old and I want to wear my bikini! The only place i really gained is in my stomach. I switched to more cardio and nothing. It is very frustrating. Any suggestions. It makes me want to go off completely right now, but I know i can't do that because i will feel so terrible and drive myself and everyone around me crazy. Any experience with how long it takes to see results of weight normality after weaning off this miserable drug??
    On a better note, i am feeling fine, my headache is gone after 3days of misery and i am back on track. I don't have any depression, i am sleeping and really no anxiety. I am progressing good in every other aspect of this process. Hope everyone is well!
    Sunshine

downwithdrugs is offline New Member

Default Tapering off

My first submission here. I've been on lex for 2 years - started at 10 - quickly down to 5 - then 2.5 about 8 months ago. Am tapering at 2.5 for 2 days then off 1 - this for 3 wks; then 2.5 every other day for 3 wks; then 2.5 1 day and off 2; then stop. Am still in the first phase. W/D - having headaches on and off; heart palpitations; really odd pains in my legs (almost feels like something moving through my veins); some 'brain zaps'; lots of neck/shoulder tension; sometimes just feel like i have the flu. I see an acupuncturist twice a week and she is helping tremendously; also take omega 3, GABA as needed; Rescue Remedy; but am trying to stay away from "helpful" drugs as much as possible. Lots of pain in my arms too. I'm just wondering if all of the above are actually symptoms of withdrawal - I know everyone seems to have their fair share of this but it's really good to be able to read that I'm not having a heart attack or any other of the imaginery stuff I can conjure up! Dreams are becoming really bizarre too.
    Also do a lot of alternative energy therapy: Reike, Relfexology, etc. Anything that helps with the stress & anxiety is great. Thanks for any input.

ginnyh69 is offline New Member

Hi,
    I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Good luck.
    I was only on lexapro for 5 weeks ( 5 mg is most I could take) It made me incredebly tired to the point I was going to bed at 5 or 6 pm because I could not stay up. No strenght or energy.
    Doctor changed me to prozac and now I am not as tired but sleepy most of the day. Only taking 5mg prozac. These ssri's do not agree with me. Have to get off all of them. I beleive I am getting withdrawl from the lexapro after 4 days and it keeps changing. How do I tell which pill is doing what?
    I am 69 years old and do not need this. I was fine until Jan. 08 then I went through a traumatic time with a neck injury which was worsened by some bad treatment. It all just got to me and I was put on antianxiety meds 6 weeks ago.
    As bad as the anxiety was 24/7 it was better than this.
    I am going to an upper cervical Chiropractor tomorrow as I understan that bad alignment can also cause a lot of anxiety problems.
    I never had a situation like this before.
    Anyway good luck with your situation and if anyone has any advise for me I would appreciate it.
    Regards to all
    Ginnyh69

jerseyboy422 is offline New Member

Default Restless Legs

Thank you so much to all who have posted on this thread. It helps tremendously to know we are not alone. According to the posts on here, it looks like I weaned myself off of Lexapro too quickly. I have been on 20mg for about 4 years. I cut my pills in half and took 10mg for one week. Then I cut the halves in half and took 5mg for one week. Then I stopped taking it altogether about 5 days ago. I can live with the brain zaps, on and off numbness, and dizzy feelings. The side effect that is driving me crazy is restless legs. I am normally an excellent sleeper, but since I stopped taking the drug I wake up constantly through the night and have to get out of bed and walk around for a while. I am typing this now at 1:30 am because they have woken me up again. I am going to try some of the recommendations posted on here, such as Benadryl or natural herbs to help me sleep. I do not want to take another drug to combat the side effects. I will keep you posted on my progress.

kayt707 is offline New Member

I havent been able to read through all of the posts yet, but its great to see others going through the same things I am. I am currently going through the freaky withdrawls. I was on effexor before they switched me to Lexapro and I have to admit thesewithdrawls are not as bad but they are still hard. So many people seem to have similar things going on and some I never even thought would be connected to the meds.

I too have experienceda weight gain, increased smoking, insomonia and nightmares. the night mares seem to be more now though. In fact the other night I had a nightmare where Iwas having nightmares.

Part of the reason I am coming off the meds is becuase of some medical stuff. I was diagnosised with Pelvic congestion syndrome. Its essentially a vericous vein. We were told that because of this and the subsiquetional treatments that if we were to have another child it would need to be sooner than later. Becuase of this I started weaning from the Lexapro. Ironically the pain from the vein has decreased and if anything since I stopped taking it the pain has decreased to mild discomfort if anything.

However, the feelings associated with the withdrawls are driving me nuts. I feel like nothing in my mind and body is functioning the same. Ive got the shaky feeling, trouble focusing on things both mentaly and with my eyes and this somewhat surreal feeling. the shakiness is the worst of it though.

It's just so nice to find others experiencing the same thing. What Im trying to figure out though is how long does this last? Does it get better or worse(at least at first)? Ive supposed to go on vacation in a week and want to be able to enjoy myself not feel like im walking through a dream and shaking.

teacherteacher is offline New Member

i'm so glad i found this site/thread. this is my 8th day off lexapro--i didn't think i'd have such horrible withdrawal because of the low dose (10mg) that i've been on for 4 or 5 years (what was i thinking????). i'm extremely weepy, craving stupid food like crazy, and i have this weird thing going on with my eyes--i can hear them move, which i read about in some of the other posts, so at least i know it's not just me. i'm also having lots of brain zaps several times an hour, horrible nightmares to the point i'm afraid to go to sleep, and awful night sweats. but just reading through the posts i've found, at least i know i'm not alone, and that there are things i can try to get through this.

couple questions--good supplements to take? i've read so many in different posts that i don't really know where to start. i have hashimoto's thyroiditis and type II diabetes, so i have to be careful with certain herbs.

and the big question: HOW LONG DOES THIS LAST? i feel like i'm losing my mind...i'd like it back now please.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by teacherteacher View Post
    i'm so glad i found this site/thread. this is my 8th day off lexapro--i didn't think i'd have such horrible withdrawal because of the low dose (10mg) that i've been on for 4 or 5 years (what was i thinking????). i'm extremely weepy, craving stupid food like crazy, and i have this weird thing going on with my eyes--i can hear them move, which i read about in some of the other posts, so at least i know it's not just me. i'm also having lots of brain zaps several times an hour, horrible nightmares to the point i'm afraid to go to sleep, and awful night sweats. but just reading through the posts i've found, at least i know i'm not alone, and that there are things i can try to get through this.

couple questions--good supplements to take? i've read so many in different posts that i don't really know where to start. i have hashimoto's thyroiditis and type II diabetes, so i have to be careful with certain herbs.

and the big question: HOW LONG DOES THIS LAST? i feel like i'm losing my mind...i'd like it back now please.
    Post your questions on the "lexapro withdrawl" forum. It is a much more active thread and all of us there will be happy to direct you on the use of supplements etc...Peace...Erin

teacherteacher is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by erinkj View Post
    Post your questions on the "lexapro withdrawl" forum. It is a much more active thread and all of us there will be happy to direct you on the use of supplements etc...Peace...Erin

thanks...told you i'm losing my mind...can't find my way around this site today...oops...

fuzzman24 is offline Member

Default dizziness with lexapro withdrawal

I just wanted to post a question on here and this looked like a good thread to do so. I was just recently weaned off of lexapro to go on wellbutrin. the dr told me to take 4 halves of a pill for 4 days (20 mg) then to take a 1/4 of a pill for 2 days then 1 day off then start the wellbutrin. well I am now on my 2nd day of wellbutrin and while im having no side affects from it that I know of I am having really bad dizzy spells with the lexapro withdrawals. I know its the lexapro because I was having the dizziness for about 3 days before I started the wellbutrin.

My question is how long should I expect these dizzy (shock type feelings) to go away? so far that is my only symptom other than maybe not sleeping too well but am calling dr today for maybe some trazadone to help that till I get through. just wondering if anyone else went off that quick and on to another drug that may know what I should expect or if there is anything I can do to help with it. I do have tranxene (clorazepate) for anxiety that I take just now and then would it help to take a few more until I get over this???

hoping for some help in Columbus......

Mark W

Anonymous Guest

nikkki
    Im putting this up for you to read.it might help
    Melinda

shysamaut is offline New Member

Default I wish I found this site 3 years ago

3 years ago we were going though some rough times and I didn't have the money to get my Lexapro refilled had been on it for 3 years. At first I didn't know what the hell was going on. When I would turn my head to look at something everything just blurred by me in inhuman lightening speed. Finally I looked it up on line and realized what was going on. I called my doc and he had some samples of cembalta? he gave me so tapper off with. That was one hellacous trip to get off of that. I have never done any illegal drugs just taken what doc had prescribed and i don't ever want to go through that again!

niki123 is offline New Member

IN NEED OF HELP PLEASE

looking at most of these posts i see a lot of people with mostly physical wd. i was only on lex for a month and a half. in that time, my depression and anxiety increased. i felt like i was being sucked into a dark hole. it was awful =[ i definitely started to feel significantly better after getting off of it. however, my doctor never gave me a proper tapering method. she wanted me to quit cold turkey. so i gave myself a schedule to get off of it within 2 weeks. it has been almost 2 months of being completely off of it and im still having on and off dizzyness, feelings of unreality, disorientation, and most of all, depersonalization. i NEVER felt these things before lexapro. and im really scared they're never going to cease. i want my life back. i wanna stop feeling strange all the time and like im on another planet or in my own little world. it feels horrible. im really young and im just trying to find my way out of this. i feel so alone because i dont personally know anyone else who has been on anti-anxiety meds.

is there anything i could do to improve my symptoms?

has anyone else felt these things too?

if anyone can help me, please do. i would appreciate it forever.

rcdchan is offline New Member

Default Going crazy

I am so glad I found this forum. I thought I was going crazy until I read that other people have experienced the same withdrawl symptoms as me. My doctor put me on 10 mg Lexapro for aniexty about 5 months ago. All it did was make me tired and gain 15 lbs. Nothing in the world mattered to me while on the Lexapro because I was too tired to care. I decided to stop taking the Lexapro, but I wish I would have known about the withdrawls before I did. I messed up and stopped cold turkey about a week ago. Bad move!! Lately I have been getting these weird head zaps when I move my eyes any direction. It makes me dizzy and I am nauseous. I do not care to eat. I have also begin the crying spells and today I thought I was going to lose it. While I was driving, the head zaps were occurring and I just felt like driving my car right into a tree. I am so miserable and just want these feelings to stop. I do not even want to get out of bed and I have to because I work outside of the home. How do you get over these withdrawls and how long do they last???

niki123 is offline New Member

rcdchan,

i know exactly where ur coming from and now i am glad i'm finding people who have the same experience too. i know its hard but just remember that these things ur feeling are very normal for lexapro wd. stopping cold turkey is not a smart decision. the wd will be so much more horrible. most of the tough ones should go away in 2-3 weeks. i also had a lot of nausea and crying spells and brain zaps. and i also felt like i was going crazy and do something crazy like drive into a tree too. i'm so sorry ur going through this miserable stage, but we're all here to help because we've been there too. first, you need to get on a proper tapering method. even though it felt like ******** being on lexapro, you still need to get off of it slowly so you dont experience absolute hell by stopping cold turkey. second, drink lots of water, get lots of rest and take vitamins and omega 3 and b-12 and anything else that helps support brain function. you should also excercise. it sounds like a lot, but it really helps. also just to warn you, some symptoms may be on and off and last longer than 2-3 weeks. have patience with yourself for it will get better. hope i helped.

best wishes to a safe and happy recovery!

Delphine is offline New Member

Default tapering off by myself

I just started taking 10 mg of Lexapro 2 weeks ago. I'd been feeling mildly/moderately depressed for the past couple years. At my checkup the doctor suggested Lexapro and I agreed.

I've been tracking backwards to see what happened a couple years ago that might have triggered depression... and realized that's when the doctor started prescribing Ambien. I've taken that 2-3 times per week for the past couple years.

I think the depression could very well be an Ambien side effect. I want to stop the Lexapro - and the Ambien. I called my doctor today and she's out for a week. I really don't want to wait another week to start the Lexapro withdrawal.

I'd appreciate advice/suggestions. What I'm thinking is to take 5 mg Lexapro daily for a week, then 5 mg every other day.

My doctor is a GP. Whenever she prescribes anything I always ask what the side effects might be and she always claims there isn't anything severe.

Any help? Thanks!

Delphine is offline New Member

Default tapering off Lexapro & Ambien by myself

I just started taking 10 mg of Lexapro 2 weeks ago. I'd been feeling mildly/moderately depressed for the past couple years. At my checkup the doctor suggested Lexapro and I agreed.

I've been tracking backwards to see what happened a couple years ago that might have triggered depression... and realized that's when the doctor started prescribing Ambien. I've taken that 2-3 times per week for the past couple years.

I think the depression could very well be an Ambien side effect. I want to stop the Lexapro - and the Ambien. I called my doctor today and she's out for a week. I really don't want to wait another week to start the Lexapro withdrawal.

I'd appreciate advice/suggestions. What I'm thinking is to take 5 mg Lexapro daily for a week, then 5 mg every other day.

My doctor is a GP. Whenever she prescribes anything I always ask what the side effects might be and she always claims there isn't anything severe.

Any help? Thanks!

jennyann is offline New Member

Smile Off Lexapro for 5 Days Now

Hi everyone! Wanted to share my story as well.

Lexapro was the worst drug I have ever experienced. I went from being an energetic woman that LOVED life to a very forgetful and non-caring shell of a person.

I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg about 6 1/2 weeks ago for anxiety and panic attacks. This drug helped with the panic attacks and I had NO anxiety at all.

The 1st week I took it I was amazed at how good I felt. The 2nd week is when the side effects started. I began feeling very sluggish and super lazy. I was sleeping over 10 hours at night and taking naps in the afternoons when my 2 year old did. I wasn't happy but I didn't feel sad either. Just blah! I no longer cared about much of anything. I didn't have the energy to clean house or make meals and I quit exercising. The exercising part was especially odd for me. I had just run a half marathon 3 days after starting this drug and I had planned to run a full marathon in December. I won't be doing that now...

Somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd week I started having SERIOUS cravings for sugary sweet foods and carbs. These cravings were much worse than normal PMS type cravings. I absolutely could not control them. I have never been big on eating a lot of sweets, but during this time I would eat 2 ice cream cones and then a bag of peanut M&M's later in the day. Then I would eat pizza or pasta for dinner and my portions were super sized. Yet I would still be hungry an hour after meals!

The worst side effect was the loss of my sex drive and inability to orgasm. And to top that off, I gained 6 pounds and didn't really care. I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have the energy to work out.

The memory loss was unreal. I would forget I had watched a movie and when my husband would comment about something in the movie I would just stare blankly at him. He thought I was kidding, but I assured him I was not. I would also repeat myself a lot. I would tell my husband something and turn around and repeat it 20 minutes later. Then I would tell him AGAIN later in that same day. He truly thought I was trying to irritate him.

I went to my Dr. last week and told him all my side effects and he said the Lexapro caused depression in me and to taper off of it by taking half of my usual dose. I was supposed to do that for a month and then just stop. I took 2 doses of the 5 mg and decided to stop cold turkey.

I really haven't had too many bad reactions. I have been dizzy and I feel very ADD-ish but overall I feel fine. I'm still having some serious cravings but I'm able to control them a little more with each day that passes.

Last night I actually cried for the 1st time in 6 weeks. But I cried because one of my son's classmates passed away, not because I'm an emotional basket case. Slowly I can feel my emotions coming back and that feels good. And I'm going to go run today and try to get this weight off that I gained!

Also want to mention that I haven't had a panic attack or any abnormal anxiety. I'm an anxious person by nature, so I can feel my personality coming back, but no abnormal anxiety. I hope that stays away!

I know you shouldn't quit taking this drug cold turkey like I did so I'm not advocating that for anyone. I just wanted to share my story so far. If I have any changes, I will post them.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

va dragonfly is offline New Member

Smile Lexapro withdrawl relief

Great to see that I am not the only one with these withdrawl symptoms. I avoided going to the gym today because of the nausea and headache, but I will be sure to get back to it tomorrow. At this point(after a week of taking half dose-5mg) , I'm hoping that the symptoms will decrease. Thanks for posting. I hope I still like who I am after all of this is over. I hate feeling controlled by a drug.
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemw View Post
    Hi All,

I have been on a low dose of lexapro (10mg/day) for over a year. It was prescribed, along with talk therapy, for depression. The combination of these things worked very well to alleviate depression. I quit lexapro last week, and have been experiencing many of the symptoms described: attacks of vertigo, nausea, my eyes hurting, general body pains, insomnia, hot and cold sweats, and other vague flu-like symptoms.

Strange to say, the best way to alleviate these symptoms is working out! Going out running is not what I feel like doing while feeling this sick---but while running and afterwards, my head clears, vertigo and nausea go away, and stay away for the rest of the day. The symptoms resurface the next day, unless I work out again.

I think that exercise naturally raises the levels of serotonin in the body, which is what lexapro does chemically. I recommend daily exercise to anyone weaning themselves off lexapro--it will help with withdrawal symptoms. My doctor also points out that exercise is the best anti-depressant around: all of the benefits, and none of the side-effects.

RedRibbon37 is offline New Member

I don't know if anyone will see this (I checked the dates, but they confused me a bit), but I hope I can reach someone. I'm 18 years old and have been diagnosed Bipolar since I was 12. Recently, my doctor asked me to quit Lexapro cold turkey. I've been on nothing but my usual cocktail for a week now, and I wanted to share some of the things that helped me make it this far (because relapse was heavy on my mind, make no mistake). Firstly, I began taking 1200mg Fish Oil twice a day. This was the first thing to help; my mind was a bit clearer, the zaps weren't as bad, and I started to get my appetite back. Secondly, I looked into my records to find what sleeping pills helped. I am also a diagnosed insomniac, so sleep was impossible at first. I took Benadryl (50mg) at the start, then Lunesta, with no effect. Tonight I'll take Seroquel (50mg). Sleeping 12-14 hours a night seemed extreme even to me, but after a few days, I read somewhere that sleep helps push the remaining lexapro through faster. I also began taking a fiber pill (3g per pill). This helped me to eat normal meals, because I was able to use the toilet and not just feel nauseous. I also take B-12 in the mornings, to help me wake up and to aid the withdrawal. Don't get me wrong, I still feel bad and expect to for another two weeks or so. But, I do have a fiance to care for, as well as two tanks of fish and three cats. I don't know if this will help anyone, but a while ago I started taking ACV w/ the mother (Apple Cider Vinegar) according to the directions on the side, and it make my life so much better. I hope these suggestions can help anyone struggling like I am--let's shoot for success :]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.

CNB4 is offline New Member

Question Quitting Lexapro

I've been on Lexapro for 5 years and recently began weening off. I was always taking 20mg, but my GP put me on 10mg for a month, then none. I did things a little quicker and took the 10mg for a week or so and then quit. I quit because I was sick of forgetting to take it for a couple days and having withdraw symptoms (numbness, dizziness, nausea) but now I have all these anyway along with increased irritability. Does anyone have any idea how long it might take for these withdraw symptoms to stop?

jpalmer47 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichalRose View Post
    Hi everyone:

I weened off of lexapro nearly a month ago. I have gone off SSRI's before, and I'm familiar with the brain zaps and mood swings. This time though I am having alot of body pain. It's what I imagine fibromyalgia feels like. My legs really hurt, and I have pin points of pain moving around my body, everywhere all the time! Of course my doctor said that he's never heard of this, but i have found they really don't know alot!
    Has anyone else experienced the body pain?
    Thanks!!!

I just weened myself off of Lex after 2 years.I was on 20mg for 18 mos and then 10mg for about 4 months. It has been the worst withdrawl that I have ever felt and I have quit smoking (twice), drinking, and numerous anti depressants over the years. The brain zaps are so incredibly annoying, they happen several times and I just keep telling myself that it's okay, and that eventually they will go away! (I hope). My other bad symptom is the horrible pain in my body! I am taking 800mg a few times a day of Ibuprofen. I'm in so much pain that I can't even sleep at night. When I wake up, I can barely get up to go to the bathroom because I am in so much body pain. I am also experiencing a lot of panic attacks. I am constantly questioning if I am really "alive", and I frequently get that overwhelming feeling of "scaredness" come over my body. It feels like when you are at the top of a cliff and you look over and you get that scared feeling of falling off and it "scares" you and sends that ripple through to your groin area. This happens for no reason, It's really frightening when I am driving. I have gained so much weight, about 35lbs and have been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and even though I'm controlling my blood sugar, I am eating healthy, exercising, sleeping well, I still can not get the scale to budge, even a pound. Thank you for sharing about the pain and all the other symptoms. I now feel as if I am not nuts.

beliteweight is offline New Member

Lexapro (escitalopram) is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Lexapro affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression or anxiety.

JustStartedLex is offline New Member

Hi everone,

I just started Lexapro for a week only. I've read a lot of the 436 pages on the Lexapro Withdrawal thread (now closed) and am really worried about taking this drug. I need some advice.

I have been struggling with chronic depression all my life and I finally found an antidepressant that I can tolerate in low doses (previously reacted very poorly to zoloft, paxil, and a few others that I can't remember now). So now with lexapro, I am only on 2.5 mg for a week and I find its helping already (it stopped the crying almost immediately and I feel generally okay, for a change !). My doctor told me to take 5 mg for the first week and increase to 10 mg after that, but since I have had bad reactions to these drugs in the past, I've decided to reduce to 2.5 instead. I intend to just keep it at 2.5 mg level, with no increase.

After reading the withdrawal thread, I am very concerned about this drug and what it is doing to my brain chemicals and body. Many people have commented that this is a toxin or poison, and many have said that if they had known , they would never have started this drug in the first place.

So please could I have some advice ? I'm only one week into this. Should I stop taking the drug ? Before starting, I've been mildly depressed, bouts of crying, low energy, low motivation, feeling hopeless but generally ok at home, no thoughts of harming myself at all, still able to enjoy watching movies, talking to my family, going out for walks etc. The 2.5 mg Lexapro has taken away the crying almost immediately; I feel a sense of well-being, and I don't feel upset anymore. Energy level is still low, still no motivation though.

So I'm not sure if its worth it to continue, even though it seems to be helping so far. I am VERY VERY afraid of the withdrawal symptoms, esp. the brain zaps and dizziness sound bad.

Would stopping now give me any withdrawal symptoms still ????

Please, could everyone give me your comments, suggestions and advice. I could really use your input. Can't decide whether to continue taking them or stop now. Please help. THANK YOU everyone !

sethtann is offline New Member

Default Here is how i got off lexapro

I HOPE that someone reads this, and although I've contemplated the best way to reach as many people as I can, I figured that I may as well get back on this forum and at least write something about my experience, because although I would love to notify all the people who have posted here over the years, I know that isn't possible. I know that I ran into this forum through Google search and I was Overwhelmed with how many people were out there going through the exact same thing I was, and I was relieved to know I was not alone. I posted on here over ago about my experience with getting generic Lexapro from India, and although I did that successfully for 2 years, I DID NOT want anyone to think I was soliciting or doing anything other than trying to help people. Right now at this very moment, I am having the exact same fear, but I hope that anyone reading this will feel my intentions through my words, and know that I am sincere in my attempts to get this information to as many people as I can. I have not read through every post on here, so this may have already been mentioned (I have a hard time believing that it's not front page news, but I also know that the pharmaceutical companies do everything they can to keep this information from getting out), so if it has been mentioned, then I will just reiterate. I was on Lexapro for 8 years, at a dose of 40 mg per day. That is Super high, and I did not know it till years later when I read what other people were taking. The financial strains this drug put me through, and the fact that I could not go a day without it for fear of the overwhelming side effects, made me realize that I needed to get off. Not to mention I could not remember what it felt like being off of it, and I was just as depressed as I ever could imagine, even on 40 mg per day, so it was obvious that the time had come to take another route for my depression. That's what began my long bout of trying to get off of this poison. I knew soon enough that I was in trouble. That's when I started searching for answers, and came across this board. This board made me realize that I wasn't alone, but it also made me realize the severity of the issue I was facing. I could not even come down 10 mg over a two month period without literally going Nuts. 40 mg seemed impossible, and not a day went by that I didn't wonder to myself how in the hell I was going to do it. I am going to keep this simple, it's been 3 months and I have completely stopped taking Lexapro, with NO SIDE EFFECTS. I am off completely, from 40 mg (actually I went up to 50 mg per day towards then end when I felt it was not working anymore), to 0 mg. I am not going to plug a website, although I would love to share exactly where I got the information from on how to do this, I don't want to discourage anyone even the slightest by coming off as a salesmen for some ripoff site. There is a cocktail of vitamins that I took, I took a chance and purchased them through another website that was recommended by this Dr., and that is where I got them for the first month. Then I figured out that it was one of the vitamins in particular that eliminates the side effects, so I turned to the local Walgreens and started buying it there. OMEGA 3 FISH OIL is the miracle cure for the sides. It's as simple as that. The recommended dosage, and the one that I bought originally (that worked the best) was 1200 mg of Fish Oil, and you must look on the back of the bottle in the ingredients and make sure it has Omega 3 EPA - 360 mg; Omega 3 DHA - 240 to 300 mg range. Some of the brands you buy locally will not say what the EPA and DHA dosages are, but I would highly suggest finding the one that does. The Dosage you must take is 3 capsules in the morning, and 3 capsules in the middle of the day. That comes out to a LOT of Omega 3, so you will understand why I went and found it locally for cheaper. I was instructed to take 1 Vitamin E capsule per day at 400iu. Omega 3 depletes the body of Vitamin E, hence the need for that supplementation. I will say this, there was one other vitamin blend that was recommended for coming off the Lexapro, and I did in fact take it for the first 2 months. Whether it helped or not, I cannot say for sure. It is on the website, but I won't mention it here. The Omega 3 in the dosage that I wrote above, was the Primary lifesaver and I to this day cannot believe that this information has not become common knowledge and spread like wildfire. I am trying to get this information out to anyone that want's to come off this drug, and I hope I can reach some people. I will share all the information I have with anyone that is interested and wants to send me a message on here (if that's even possible?). My email address is sethtann2@gmail.com, you can reach me there too. All the best, and hope this helps someone.

mctippins is offline New Member

I have been taking 10mg Lexapro for only about 6 months and I have never felt better. When I called my doctors office for my next refill they told me that he would not give me any more medication refill and that he wanted me to try to get off the medication. But by this time I only had like a weeks worth of pills left. So I took one tablet every other day which lasted about 2 weeks. Now its been about 1 week of no medication. I have been crying daily, I continually have dizzy spells all thoughout the day. And to top it all off I am so tired that I have been sleeping hours in the afternoon. I was starting to think that there was really something wrong with me but now after seeing everyones posts I feel better already knowing its not just me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast