Lexapro and Suicide
    HydromorphoneAngel is offline New Member

Default Lexapro and Suicide

Hey, I just was wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with Lexapro. Last year around November 2005 I started taking Lexapro because the horrendous pain I get from my Lupus was making me depressed. I couldn't go anywhere with my friends and do the things they did. So, my doctor recommended Lexapro to try. I was hopeful about it and thought it was just what I might need. So, I started it and noticed by December that it really wasn't working, so I go back and tell her this and so she ups the dose. I start feeling withdrawn and contemplate being dead and various ways to off myself. I guess it didn't help that I had numerous diseases that had almost killed me a year earlier.This was not like me at all. I started to cry at everything, lost intrest in my one great passion, art, and couldn't find joy in ANYTHING. I have struggled with depression in the past but I have never felt that deep down in it before. So, in January I decided with no remorse to kill myself. I took a bunch of painkillers and about half an hour later called 911. I don't know what decided to make me stay. I guess I just thought about how much my family would miss me and how screwed up everything would be if I took the cowardly way out. So, I ended up in a psych ward for about a week and half. During this time they switched my depression med to Effexor XR. They say you have to wait a week or two(or something like that) to wait for the drug to really take effect. I noticed the difference in the way I felt within two or three days. The thing I am trying to get at is that Lexapro is not a good drug. I am convinced that it's what made me suicidal and I do not recommend it to anyone at all. My dad also took Lexapro and he lost interest in his activities, he didn't clean up his messes, he started becoming an alcoholic and becoming increasingly withdrawn. All he would do was watch tv and drink. He didn't care about anything. I was exactly the same way. But, he saw how well I was starting to do on Effexor he asked his doctor if he could try it out. My dad is so much more improved for taking it. He does lots of activities now. The house stays cleaned up and he has an enthusiasm about things he didn't have before. I really recommended Effexor, it has kept my very contented and happy, I feel like I'm back in control of my emotions and life now. What I want to know is, has anyone else suffered while taking Lexapro in any form?

Miles is offline Member

HydromorphoneAngel:

I posted the item below on another topic at this site, but it can shed some light on your inquiry about Lexapro, a chemical cousin of Paxil.

Good luck and may any choice you make be the most helpful for you!

Miles

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paxil increases suicide risk: Report
    Antidepressant increased suicide attempt in adults, says study, which Glaxo calls "misleading."
    August 22, 2005:

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Paxil, a blockbuster antidepressant from British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline, increases the risk of suicide in adults, according to a study by Norwegian researchers

Patients taking Paxil, a $1.9 billion drug also known by its generic term paroxetine, attempted suicide seven times, compared to one suicide attempt in placebo studies, according to a report by Ivar Aursnes and other Norwegian researchers and published in BMC Medicine on Aug. 22.

"Summarizing the suicide attempts, there are seven among the patients on paroxetine and one among the patients on placebo," read the report, which said there were 16 studies conducted with 916 patients on Paxil and 550 on placebo.

GlaxoSmithKline (down $0.06 to $48.15, Research), a London-based drug maker with $39 billion in 2004 sales, criticized the study as "misleading" and based on outdated and "incorrectly selected" data.

"The company disagrees with the conclusion from the sub-analysis conducted by scientists based in Oslo," said GlaxoSmithKline in a prepared statement. "It serves only to cause confusion and unnecessary concern for patients using an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor,) such as paroxetine, for treatment of depression."

The suicidal side effects of antidepressants has raised concerns with the Food and Drug Administration, which now requires all antidepressants to carry warnings about the increased risk of suicide to children and teenagers. On June 30, the FDA said it is conducting a review of available data to determine whether there is an increased risk of suicidal thinking in adults who are taking antidepressants. The FDA expects to take at least a year to complete this review.

The scientists who conducted the Paxil study suggested that adults be included in regulatory warnings.

"We also conclude that the recommendation of restrictions on the use of paroxetine for children and adolescents recently conveyed by regulatory agencies should be extended to include usage by adults," read the report.

Hollisone is offline New Member

Unfortunately, I have had experience with too many ADs. Without a lenghthy post, I will just say that I had little or no help from Lexapro (in fact, my depression was deepened as does happen sometimes) and that I had notable improvement with Effexor and Effexor XR within a matter of days. The AD game is nowhere near a perfect practice and any doctor would probably admit this with candor. Hang in there, hon))

stuffaboutstuff is offline New Member

Default lexapro, suicide

A friend of mine killed herself this week after being on Lexapro for 5 months. Before taking Lexapro, she identified that she was in danger of harming herself and checked herself into the hospital, and talked to her family and friends. Obviously, she was trying to avoid harming herself. She began this medication then. After being on this drug, she lost a ton of weight, watched tv endlessly, stopped talking to everyone, stopped taking care of her house and then finally ended her life. They shouldn't put suicide as a potential side-effect just like they list other less important symptoms. I really think she wouldn't have done this if she hadn't been taking it.

Dave87666 is offline Member

Stuffaboutstuff--I am very sorry to hear about your loss..

To answer the orginal question I was on Lexapro a few years go for about 6 months.It also did the same to me,I started to isolate myself from the world,then purposely harming myself(It made me feel like I was releasing pain),and also having suicidal thoughts..At the end of using Lexapro I decided to OD.I was going through a rough pacth in life,and I guess that the Lexapro helped push me over the edge? So I ended up shooting 4 bags of >>>>>>,took like 40-50-mg of klonopin,like 100 or more mg. of valium,and drank 1 liter of vodka,and a bottle of nyquil...It did the trick,my parents were worried about me so went to my place to check on me and I was laying on the hallway floor with barely a pulse.By the time the parametics got there I was dead so they brought me back,and then my heart stopped again in the ambulence...Well since I am here writting this I did survive,but right there at the hospital I told them I would NEVER take Lexapro again,and I havent since..Now I am on Prozac,dont have any sick thoughts anymore,and also have cleaned myself up off of >>>>>>...Sorry for the long story,but its all the truth,and wanted to share because I really hate that EVIL drug Lexapro....Good luck in finding the right drug for you!

gtowngirl is offline New Member

Default Hydromorphangel

Google Lexapro withdrawal. There is a forum that will literally save your life there. So many people who have been through such a variety of problems because of Lexapro. Good Luck

gtowngirl

BJH088 is offline New Member

wow just reading posts on this site and everything seems to be really negative! Anti-depressants do help some people...acctually most people, and its really ********************py of you guys to come here and scare people that are currently on the anti-depressant and are having success with it!

Dave87666 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BJH088 View Post
    wow just reading posts on this site and everything seems to be really negative! Anti-depressants do help some people...acctually most people, and its really ********************py of you guys to come here and scare people that are currently on the anti-depressant and are having success with it!
    Im honestly not putting any antidepressants down,they all work for different people in different ways..If Lexapro works for someone then great,if it doesnt work for others then talk with your Dr. and try other ones..Its all about what works with each persons own brain chemistry.

Miles is offline Member

Keen insight drugbuster! One wonders why there are still legions of sufferers of so-called "mental illness," given the SSRI prescription rate and the blatantly false advertising to which so many have been subjected! The alliance among the state, mental health professionals/psychiatrists, and drug manufacturers is indeed an unholy one that must be resisted by all freedom-loving persons.

Regards,
    Miles

Robin Renay is offline New Member

Default re: Lexapro and suicide

Quote Originally Posted by HydromorphoneAngel View Post
    Hey, I just was wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with Lexapro. Last year around November 2005 I started taking Lexapro because the horrendous pain I get from my Lupus was making me depressed. I couldn't go anywhere with my friends and do the things they did. So, my doctor recommended Lexapro to try. I was hopeful about it and thought it was just what I might need. So, I started it and noticed by December that it really wasn't working, so I go back and tell her this and so she ups the dose. I start feeling withdrawn and contemplate being dead and various ways to off myself. I guess it didn't help that I had numerous diseases that had almost killed me a year earlier.This was not like me at all. I started to cry at everything, lost intrest in my one great passion, art, and couldn't find joy in ANYTHING. I have struggled with depression in the past but I have never felt that deep down in it before. So, in January I decided with no remorse to kill myself. I took a bunch of painkillers and about half an hour later called 911. I don't know what decided to make me stay. I guess I just thought about how much my family would miss me and how screwed up everything would be if I took the cowardly way out. So, I ended up in a psych ward for about a week and half. During this time they switched my depression med to Effexor XR. They say you have to wait a week or two(or something like that) to wait for the drug to really take effect. I noticed the difference in the way I felt within two or three days. The thing I am trying to get at is that Lexapro is not a good drug. I am convinced that it's what made me suicidal and I do not recommend it to anyone at all. My dad also took Lexapro and he lost interest in his activities, he didn't clean up his messes, he started becoming an alcoholic and becoming increasingly withdrawn. All he would do was watch tv and drink. He didn't care about anything. I was exactly the same way. But, he saw how well I was starting to do on Effexor he asked his doctor if he could try it out. My dad is so much more improved for taking it. He does lots of activities now. The house stays cleaned up and he has an enthusiasm about things he didn't have before. I really recommended Effexor, it has kept my very contented and happy, I feel like I'm back in control of my emotions and life now. What I want to know is, has anyone else suffered while taking Lexapro in any form?
    Yes, I have recently had a very bad experience while on Lexapro...I had not really put the two together, until now. I have been suffering from depression since September after having been in a very serious car accident in which someone lost their life on my windshield. I was given Lexapro and actually thought it had been helping. However, last Saturday after getting into an arguement and mild scuffle with my boyfriend, and he calling the relationship off, I went and grabbed a fistful of Darvocet-N and downed them...after feeling sick, realizing I wasn't breathing properly, I called a drug abuse hotline and they told me to get to a hospital QUICK. My boyfriend took me, but after saving my life, he was arrested because in the screwy state I was in I made much of the fight we had had. I'm ten times more depressed now, knowing what trouble I have brought upon this man by my stupid actions, after he saved my life. I have felt that the Lexapro, even though the effects seem to be mild, it seems to take away logic, or fear or whatever it would be that would normally prevent me from such rash behavior. How can I convince legal authorities that this drug had a lot to do with the events of that evening?? And that my boyfriend, though maybe less than tactful in deciding we shouldn't be together certainly doesn't deserve to spend ANY time in prison, let alone the 25 years he may be facing? I am more than distraught, and at this point don't know if the Lexapro is helping or hurting. I've not done anything suicidal since that incident...the mass quantities of charcoal I drank kind of stopped me from thinking any such thoughts.

sstr8shooter is offline New Member

Default If you like dead people you have the right attiude

Quote Originally Posted by BJH088 View Post
    Two years ago a friend of mine had a brotherinlaw blow his brains out on lexapro.
    Last Sep. my friend was prescribed Lexapro and at the time his wife's sister told her to get him off of the Lexapro. She said his depression was getting to bad and they were willing to try anything. Her sis at that time told her in that case you have a dead husband. (seems a little severe???????) NOT.
    last Mon. he blew his brains all over their house.
    So I guess all I have to say to you is this site is trying to keep this from happening to people, and you don't like it. Well to bad I miss my friend and his wife is now in the mental ward of the local hospital because he made damn sure she found him. So keep telling us how negative we are and I will keep missing my friend and trying to help a woman who's entire life has become a living hell over night thanks to people like you who don't want the truth out.
    Keep working for that drug company and have a good night's sleep.

UNEEK1 is offline Member

4 years ago I was on Zoloft and I noticed that I was always crying, always down in the dumps and eventually I started to feel suicidal. I told my doc and he helped me wean off of Zoloft, he said that it is unfortunate, but anti-depressants sometime enhance the feelings of depression and suicide in some people. So then my silly self started on Cymbalta about a year and a half ago and those pills combined with hydrocodones really did a number on me. One day I would feel great, that I could do anything and then the next day I would feel suicidal. I know pain pills can exaggerate depression. Well, I am off the pain pills (Suboxone) and I have not been depressed as much. I am now going to try and ween off of the Cymbalta. I wish I would've never started them but my doc swore that these pills help with pain. I didn't notice much pain relief and I also think he was willing to prescribe me anything while he was prescibing me vicodin maybe to make it look like he was actually looking for an alternative to narcotics. Sorry for going on and on but I do think anti-depressants make some people worse and it is a shame because everyone responds differently to every drug. I have been taking .5mg of Lexapro everyday for about 3 weeks and they seem to help the GAD for me. But like I said, everyone responds differently to every drug. Good luck to everyone.
    "Do one thing everyday that makes you happy!"

yor5150 is offline New Member

Default Adverse reaction

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share what I've been going through lately. I started taking Lexapro in around 2004 with no issues other than having a slight headache for a day or two. I started dating a very nice woman in 2005 and in June of 2008 decided to go off Lexapro so as to not have to deal with the sexual side effects. Mind you I didn't check with my Doctor first. I had tried other AD's in the late 90's with little or no problems. I started them on a Friday. Sat and Sun were fine. On Monday I took a pill and started to feel extreme anxiety. With the banks and the stock market floundering I was in hell. The end of the world was upon us. I couldn't sleep but an hour or two each night. I had to white knuckle it at work for three days. On the the 4th I called in sick. I finally contacted my doctor who advised me to continue taking the Lexapro. He gave me a prescription for Xanax which has helped but I still feel an extreme sadness. I was lamenting how much I have sinned and was begging Jesus for forgiveness and for peace. I felt like I was not going to be saved. I have never felt equipped to reside on this earth. This latest issue and made me feel all the more that way. I cannot commit suicide due to my religious beliefs but I don't want to be here on earth either. I feel extremely inadequate to deal with the present world situation. It does seem like mankind has fallen away from God and that the end times are upon us. I'm not sure if I'll ever get past this experience. I tend to fixate on all the mistakes I made in my life and regret how I've failed. I hope none of you have to deal with feelings like the ones I have had lately. I hope that when this life ends that another one of peace and love begins. Peace and Love to you all.

Aeroman is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by yor5150 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share what I've been going through lately. I started taking Lexapro in around 2004 with no issues other than having a slight headache for a day or two. I started dating a very nice woman in 2005 and in June of 2008 decided to go off Lexapro so as to not have to deal with the sexual side effects. Mind you I didn't check with my Doctor first. I had tried other AD's in the late 90's with little or no problems. I started them on a Friday. Sat and Sun were fine. On Monday I took a pill and started to feel extreme anxiety. With the banks and the stock market floundering I was in hell. The end of the world was upon us. I couldn't sleep but an hour or two each night. I had to white knuckle it at work for three days. On the the 4th I called in sick. I finally contacted my doctor who advised me to continue taking the Lexapro. He gave me a prescription for Xanax which has helped but I still feel an extreme sadness. I was lamenting how much I have sinned and was begging Jesus for forgiveness and for peace. I felt like I was not going to be saved. I have never felt equipped to reside on this earth. This latest issue and made me feel all the more that way. I cannot commit suicide due to my religious beliefs but I don't want to be here on earth either. I feel extremely inadequate to deal with the present world situation. It does seem like mankind has fallen away from God and that the end times are upon us. I'm not sure if I'll ever get past this experience. I tend to fixate on all the mistakes I made in my life and regret how I've failed. I hope none of you have to deal with feelings like the ones I have had lately. I hope that when this life ends that another one of peace and love begins. Peace and Love to you all.
    i think you cold turkeyed and are experiencing SSRI w/d's. If you dont believe me, go under Featured Conditions and you'll see Lexapro Withdrawal. You'll be fine.

Default "Withdrawal" when I'm taking them?

Thank you. I am open to any assistance at all to figuring this out. I did quit cold turkey in June but did not have any problems until I started taking the drug again on Sept. 12th so I'm confused by the term "Withdrawal". I do hope I'll be fine and I wish the same for anyone going through anything similar. Right now my mind is not my friend, nor has it really ever been. I'll go look up the Featured Conditions you mentioned right now. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
    i think you cold turkeyed and are experiencing SSRI w/d's. If you dont believe me, go under Featured Conditions and you'll see Lexapro Withdrawal. You'll be fine.

weee96 is offline New Member

Lexapro is the worst medication ive ever had, it almost killed me. I really am a believer in certain antidepressants for certain people causing them to literally not be themselves and have no control because it happened to me. While I was on it, I did things out of rage that I cannot comprehend now that im back to normal, it makes me so disgusted in myself yet I seriously had no control it was like I was a puppet. It made my eyes wide open like a maniac (I look at pictures of me back then and its so odd) and I would flip out and physically hurt my wife, its upsetting to admit. I just wanted to post this because people REALLY need to be careful with these meds and not have these type of episodes, because you will end up ruining your life and its not even you doing it.

Default Taken off Lexapro just started Sertraline/Zoloft

I've been off Lexapro since Monday. My doctor prescribed Zoloft of which I just took my first pill. I've also been taking Xanax which has helped a lot but I try to only use it when I'm really having a rough time of it.

With or without the anxiety I still feel that we are at the beginning of the End Days...