Results 1 to 9 of 9
inpatient detox for suboxone??
  1. #1
    subgirlokc is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default inpatient detox for suboxone??

    Hello:
    Im starting to wonder if it would benefit me to go into inpatient detox to finish off my sub taper. I'm feeling overwhelmed with keeping up with stressful job/life while feeling bad. I know that I have some PAWS ahead of me and its not going to be easy-but I just dont know how much of doing this "on my own" is the narcisstic ego in me?? Am I looking for a softer,easier way which doesnt exist, or am I accepting that I can't do this alone and I need help. Deep down I know I have to answer this question for myself, but if anyone has any insight or experience with something similiar, please share. Peace and love,
    Subgirl

    (BTW, 11 months on sub, down to ,5-1mg from 8)
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-23-2010 at 11:19 PM.

  2. #2
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Most people taper sub out patient but if you can get an inpatient spot, by all means do so. You need to realize that the stressors you refer to (job/life) will be there when you get out also and you will be drug free and susceptible to relapse. You have to deal with your issues. That's; more important than whether you taper sub in or out patient. I will add that after 11 months, it's time to do the taper. Sub is very powerful and the longer on it, the harder it is to get off.

  3. #3
    subgirlokc is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    thank u for the response nygal! I agree that 11 months is/was too long. But, that is where I'm at, and Im trying desperately to finish the taper. The taper down to 1 mg was bearable, some uncomftorable days but doable. Getting from 1mg to 0 is kicking my butt. I pray for patience ever day-I did abuse opiates for five YEARS. By the grace of God, Im learning the tools I will need to live succesfully in recovery. I have accepted for today that I have to schedule time for a daily NA meeting the same I would schedule time to shower. My current problem is with how I physically feel during the end of this taper process. My energy is zapped, and it is all I can do some days to get through a full days work. Its hard for me to focus, I have bags under my eyes from sleeping issues, and just dont look "right." When I repeatedly called my sub dox, he told me the exagerated withdrawal symptoms are in my head-and he called me in another refill-not what I wanted. Is he listening to what I'm saying?? I am struggling with physically doing what I need to do every day to be successful in my recovery-when I can barely get off the couch,

  4. #4
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    I totally understand where you're coming from. I am not a success story myself. I was addicted to opiates, including >>>>>> and methadone, for over 40 years. I switched to sub thinking it was the miracle drug everyone was saying it was. I have learned a few things. One is that doctors kno nothing about it. They take a s hort online course and thats it. They will give you too high a dose and keep you on too long. The other thing I learned is that the quicker off the better. I am on it for over a year. Down to below 1 mg. but can't go further. I rarely feel well on this low dose and therefore can't imagine being opiate free which I haven't been for any substantial period of time since 1966. You aren't me, though. Just remember that. You can do it. Things will get better every day. Go for it, inpatient or out. I for one am rooting for you.

  5. #5
    subgirlokc is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    just wanted to check back in with an update... i'm being detoxed outpatient and made arrangements to work from home for the next few days. My boss has been incredibly supportive-funny how the people in our lives we were so desperately trying to "dupe," knew that we were not in good shape. I have a 2:30 appt. with a new sub doctor who is affiliated w/the treatment center I had been looking into. For my specific scenario, he is switching me to subutex (cut in half daily/1mg), and also prescribing a clonidine patch and a few other non-addict. meds that I will share w/everyone when I get back. He knew my former sub. doc by name, and shared in my anger/frustration with the racket that is going on over there. (infinite sub. use for everyone?!) His first requirement for seeing/treating me was daily meetings. By the grace of god, im going to be ok!
    Peace and Love,
    Subgirl

  6. #6
    Suboxdep is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I am not a success story myself. I was addicted to opiates, including >>>>>> and methadone, for over 40 years. I switched to sub thinking it was the miracle drug everyone was saying it was. I have learned a few things. One is that doctors kno nothing about it. They take a s hort online course and thats it. They will give you too high a dose and keep you on too long. The other thing I learned is that the quicker off the better. I am on it for over a year. Down to below 1 mg. but can't go further. I rarely feel well on this low dose and therefore can't imagine being opiate free which I haven't been for any substantial period of time since 1966. You aren't me, though. Just remember that. You can do it. Things will get better every day. Go for it, inpatient or out. I for one am rooting for you.
    NYgal...You and I could write the same book. I was first put on methadone in 1973 and have been off and on 3 times since... the last time being for nearly 16 yrs. I switched over to subs about a year ago and I hate it. The only thing subs does is keep wd's at bay. I have tapered to .25mg but couldn't jump from there so now I take .50-1mg a day now. I'm trying to decide if i should start all over again on methadone or stay where I'm at and be miserable with subs.

    Not once did I use while on methadone... but since starting subs... i've used Oxys several times. It's easy to switch back and forth while on such a low subs dose. The only way I can feel good or happy now is to eat about 50mg of oxys and drink vodka.... I would have never needed that on methadone.

  7. #7
    newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Suboxdep..... Unbelievable... we really are the same story. If you'd like, you can email me at blrubock@yahoo.com so as not to bore everyone with our sad tales of woe, lol. I too was on methadone after a >>>>>> addiction, starting in 1975 (on a program in NY)... During the first couple of years I messed around a bit, but then straightened my life out (except, of course, for the methadone). I became a paralegal, got married, raised two kids, didn't drink or do other drugs, stayed on methadone without a break for 33 or so years..... Why I made the switch I don't know. I'm sure I had a good reason (the private doctor issue) but it wasn't a wise idea. I've since learned that sub is more addictive than any drug out there, but methadone. It is for sure stronger than any short acting opiate. I also now realize that IF you need legitimate pain med (for surgery, an accident, etc.), you are sxxt out of luck. I had 3 surgeries while on methadone (hysterectomy, apelandectxomy and gall bladder (prior to laproscopy). I was on 25 mg. of methadone, well below the blockage dose, so pain med works, if not 100%, at least well enough. I am 60 years old and panic stricken at the thought of needing surgery. I don't feel great on sub ever. I'm on the same dose as you. But then, I didn't feel great on sub when I was on higher doses either. So it's the miracle drug that isn't.... I, like you, have contemplated getting back on a low dose of methadone and tapering very slowly off that. Or getting a doc to work with me tapering off a short acting drug. I just want off sub desperately and can't seem to find the key to open that door. Write me in email... I'd love to compare more.

  8. #8
    Suboxdep is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    Suboxdep..... Unbelievable... we really are the same story. If you'd like, you can email me at blrubock@yahoo.com so as not to bore everyone with our sad tales of woe, lol. I too was on methadone after a >>>>>> addiction, starting in 1975 (on a program in NY)... During the first couple of years I messed around a bit, but then straightened my life out (except, of course, for the methadone). I became a paralegal, got married, raised two kids, didn't drink or do other drugs, stayed on methadone without a break for 33 or so years..... Why I made the switch I don't know. I'm sure I had a good reason (the private doctor issue) but it wasn't a wise idea. I've since learned that sub is more addictive than any drug out there, but methadone. It is for sure stronger than any short acting opiate. I also now realize that IF you need legitimate pain med (for surgery, an accident, etc.), you are sxxt out of luck. I had 3 surgeries while on methadone (hysterectomy, apelandectxomy and gall bladder (prior to laproscopy). I was on 25 mg. of methadone, well below the blockage dose, so pain med works, if not 100%, at least well enough. I am 60 years old and panic stricken at the thought of needing surgery. I don't feel great on sub ever. I'm on the same dose as you. But then, I didn't feel great on sub when I was on higher doses either. So it's the miracle drug that isn't.... I, like you, have contemplated getting back on a low dose of methadone and tapering very slowly off that. Or getting a doc to work with me tapering off a short acting drug. I just want off sub desperately and can't seem to find the key to open that door. Write me in email... I'd love to compare more.
    Yep we absolutely have a lot in common. I'm 58 and have the same concerns as you with health issues near or on the horizon...

    I'll drop you a PM... so we don't hijack this thread.

  9. #9
    dino55dino55 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Suboxone Detox

    Quote Originally Posted by subgirlokc View Post
    Hello:
    Im starting to wonder if it would benefit me to go into inpatient detox to finish off my sub taper. I'm feeling overwhelmed with keeping up with stressful job/life while feeling bad. I know that I have some PAWS ahead of me and its not going to be easy-but I just dont know how much of doing this "on my own" is the narcisstic ego in me?? Am I looking for a softer,easier way which doesnt exist, or am I accepting that I can't do this alone and I need help. Deep down I know I have to answer this question for myself, but if anyone has any insight or experience with something similiar, please share. Peace and love,
    Subgirl

    (BTW, 11 months on sub, down to ,5-1mg from 8)
    I was off suboxone 6 days then my hell began.. My back was in agony.. I need in pataince 30 days at least to get off these stuff.. Everyone is different ad the length on it is different.. 24 mg a day is nuts.. the norm start on 16 then 12mg, 8mg ,8mg 4mg, 4mg ,then down to 2mg a day, which I have been on for 6 months 2Mgs a day.. Its hard getting off, in my case.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-18-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wanted to show how to decrease Mg wise

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22