I just started Lexapro - what I should expect & what meds I should I stay away from?
    riverinthewoods is offline New Member

Default I just started Lexapro - what I should expect & what meds I should I stay away from?

I just stared on lexapro 2 days ago for mild depression and anxiety...

What should I expect? How long does it take to kick in? What meds should I stay away from when on lexapro?

I've already learned that I shouldn't take advil or claritin d... what about heartburn and cold meds?

Does everyone gain weight on lexapro? I'm a male and I weigh 280 right now...

I started out with a dose of 5, but will move up to 10 within a week...

Will it make me "happy" or just chill me out or make me numb or remove the anxiety or what?

Will my wife be happier now that I'm on it? In other words, will I be less moody and confrontational?

What about motivation when on lexapro... Should I expect to see any increase?

thanks!

no_more_tram is offline Member

How you react to it as far as positive or negative depends on your body mechanism.

I have been on Lexapro for 2 months, the first month only at 10mg daily, second month at 20mg. I do notice some positive, some negative, but that goes like anything I suppose. I do notice when I don't take it I am more irritable, a bit down. I take it before bed time. You just have to give you body and mind time to stabolize it, you may notice a difference soon, but don't give up if it takes a few weeks. May or may not work for you, that's why there's so many options out there. Good luck and keep us updated!

no_more_tram is offline Member

Also, about the weight gaining, sometimes people tend to feel more hunger on antidepressants so therefore eat more, hince the gaining weight. If that is an issue for you, just be careful with your eating habits, very simple

zendj is offline New Member

Default lexapro

Have faith in knowing that your doctor knows what he's doing....starting you on only 5 mg is a good way to get your body to adjust...with your weight you may need to eventually up the dose......hopefully starting it slowly like that will listen any side effect......I was on it for many years, got off about a year ago (.....do it VERY slowly), but I never had weight gain and at the beginning the sympoms so mild (slight headache, slight stomache upset....) that they wouldn't have had me stop them. I felt "normal"....not manic and not depressed......just normal! Good luck and as I've learned from other meds - blood pressure - we all react differently! I'm probably the only person in the world who feels horrible on BP pills....yet most people take them without a problem at all! Same with antidepressants....our chemistry is so different, if this doesn't work, try another! Ironically (not sure why!) my male friends have done better with Zoloft. Go figure....they all work on the same brain chemistry!