How to come off of Lexapro
    schmilnikk is offline New Member

Default How to come off of Lexapro

Hi, I have been taking 20mg of Lexapro for about 1 year. I have been taking 15mg the last week and I want to just stop taking it all together would this be a bad idea? I really want to come off of this drug. If so how can I wean myself off QUICKLY I hate the way it makes me feel. I was taking it for anxiety and panic attacks.
    Thanks for all feedback!
    Last edited by schmilnikk; 04-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.

PreyingMantid is offline New Member

Default Tapering off Lexapro

Although i was on only a half standard dose of 5mg, i can tell you.

It is a good idea to stop taking the drug if you are getting side effects such as weight gain and low energy etc.

I had only slight side effects from coming off - a little nausea, a bit of headache, slight dizziness sometimes. It wasn't too bad for me to keep working. It only took about ten days from 5mg. I just started taking it every 2 days instead of every day. The half life means it takes 27-32 hours for half the amount in your system to leave the body. The half life of escitalopram is about 27-32 hours so you can calculate how much is in your system by adding the dose you took to how much you estimate is still left in your system.

After a week on 15mg, you could try to decrease to 10mg for a week, 5mg the next week, then 5mg every two days for a week. You could try reducing by 5mg every five days. If at any stage the side effects become too bad then go back up to the previous dose for five days or so. If you really want to you can reduce the dosage by 2.5mg each time if you have a pill cutter. That's a quarter of a 10mg pill, of course.

Escitalopram is generally not as bad as other ssris for tapering off. The one to be really careful of is duloxetine. That drug has such serious tapering off side effects for many people that the FDA published a document about it on the web. Google "duloxetine withdrawal FDA" if you want to see it.

PreyingMantid is offline New Member

Regarding the post above, i made a mistake. From the first day i took none to the last day i took any (5mg) was four days, inclusive of those two days.