Has anyone benefitted from only taking 2.5mg of Lexapro?
    dare2820 is offline New Member

Smile Has anyone benefitted from only taking 2.5mg of Lexapro?

I just started today on 2.5mg even though my doctor said to start on 5mg.I am sensitive so I felt more at ease starting at a very low dose.I'll see how it goes and might increase it to 5mg.I'm scared to go higher due to the horror stories I read on here.Any inof would be appreciated!!!Thanks!!!

Sideffects2 is offline New Member

Default Good Idea

I think it is very prudent of you to go slow. These drugs effect everyone differently. My son just started 5 mg. of Lexapro & we'll see how it goes. Good luck.

DET Red09 is offline New Member

I wouldnt take any...I took it years ago and under suspicion always have been that it screwed my head up...I see all kinds of ******************** in my vision ever since taking that garbadge.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default dare

Please remember that all drugs affect each person a little differently than the next person. I think that is probably true for antidepressants as much or even more so than lots of other drugs as depression can be such a tough illness to treat at times. Our environment can have such a major effect on how these specific drugs affect us.

We should be basing our decisions on facts rather than everyone else's opinions. NO ONE here is qualified to say whether 2.5mg will be effective for you or not. And all antidepressants have to be in our systems for some time before they really help us.

For what it's worth I believe it would be in your best interest to be straight with the dr about your dosing. Not saying you are wrong about the dose, just suggesting that you shoot straight with the dr. There is nothing to hide and no reason not to tell the dr how you feel.

I actually agree totally with Sideffects2 that it would be prudent on your part to start with a small dose and see how it goes. But your dr should be in on this decision making process. Down the road if questions come up about your treatment it will prove then that the smart way to deal with this is by being direct and to the point with the dr now. If you have any type of problem in the future and the dr's records show one thing and you contend that you have been doing something totally different ... well it's pretty obvious how this could cause a problem for both the dr and you in that situation. Doesn't that make sense??? Good luck and God bless.

DET Red09 is offline New Member

I was on Zoloft when I was 13-14....I hated it...It just made me feel like I wasnt even capable of having emotions...I was just a blank idiot..........Lexapro and Zoloft made me feel very angry at times and I would destroy things in my house because I just could not help myself because I was so mad I wanted to break stuff....That was a horrible stage..Im 20 now and im still very messed up person.....I battle opiate addiction but at times its hard to even feel happy about being clean because before I even was an addict I was still a horrible depressed person with so much anxiety that I would even have trouble going to stores...............But I her people say these ZOloft and Lexapro drugs do work for them....i dont know thats just my little bit there.....maybe its not a good idea to quit smoking cigs...and opiates at the same time.........sorry kinda off topic

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default DET Red09

When I was younger drs tried putting me on several different antidepressants too just like they did you. I took wellbutrin, zoloft, celexa, lexapro ... the list goes on. I don't know why I continued to take all of these meds. They did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever except make me gain weight.

The bottom line about ADs is that they don't work the same for all of us. In fact they don't work at all for people like me and it sounds like maybe the same for you.

If we don't have a true chemical imbalance they don't do anything positive for us at all. Drs RX ADs all the time. I think they are the most over RXd med on the market. For people like me who take them it's just a waste of time and money. I am not nor was I ever clinically depressed. I was just PI$$ed off. There is a lot of difference in being clinically depressed and mad.

Lots of people get RXd meds who shouldn't be receiving them. Drs play a guessing game with meds based on our symptoms. They make educated guesses, but guesses none the less. Same for ADs as for pain pills, benzos, and what not. But this is another reason why I always say to keep the dr in on what is happening so if these drugs don't work properly we have accurate records to fall back on. Drs need to know exactly what has taken place or they can not be expected to diagnose and treat anything properly. That is just common sense.

For what it's worth, I see nothing wrong with stopping cigarrettes the same time you quit taking drugs. I stopped cigs the same time I stopped drinking and taking street drugs. Plus I started a major diet at the same time. I always figured that if I was going to be miserable anyways, I should just go ahead and get it all over with at once if possible. Of course that is just me. Lots of people would say I was nuts for doing that. But I am still cigarette free and clean from drugs. God bless.