Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yezdegerd
Good old Valium
    outburst99 is offline New Member

Default Good old Valium

Hey all...

I just got off the anti-depressant merry-go-round about 2 months ago (tapered correctly) and have decided to stick with just benzos.

Originally put on AD's for severe anxiety and panic, I've been on just about every AD in the book for over 12 years, I cant take it anymore, I'm tired of going through life like a zombie, no emotions, no sex drive, lack of ability to care about anything etc...

Anyway, I've noticed that when I'm steadily on a benzo, and it reaches a "steady state" in my system, it works wonders! My pDoc first gave me Xanax (.5mg 3x day) which is the best by far but way too strong for me to take through out the day without needing a nap, Then we tried Klonopin (same dosage) and at first was fantastic. Then all of a sudden I developed heart palpitations which the doc thought might be from the Klonopin so now Im on Valium at a dosage of 5mg 3x daily, and so far feels pretty good. I have a feeling I will be needing a little higher dose because of its slow onset but I love its long lasting affect.

My question is... To those of you on Valium, what is your dosage? I'm curious as to what works for others?!

P.S. - Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give a little background in hopes that someone can relate.

Thanks in advance for your replies and god bless.

Ggeo is offline Member

Default I get addicted...

I know this isn't the answer to your question but man, for me Benzos are very addictive. I am currently approximately 2 weeks from withdrawing from opiates like Oxycodone (Percoset) Vicodins and Oxycontins and the withdrawal was rough. I did Valiums a lot many years ago and remember, just like opiates, it took more and more of them to work so I quit. Withdrawal was bad bad bad. I didn't know one could stay on the same dosage and continue with the same results. I build up a tolerance quickly. Let's see what others have to say. Perhaps this is just my experience.

outburst99 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ggeo View Post
    I know this isn't the answer to your question but man, for me Benzos are very addictive. I am currently approximately 2 weeks from withdrawing from opiates like Oxycodone (Percoset) Vicodins and Oxycontins and the withdrawal was rough. I did Valiums a lot many years ago and remember, just like opiates, it took more and more of them to work so I quit. Withdrawal was bad bad bad. I didn't know one could stay on the same dosage and continue with the same results. I build up a tolerance quickly. Let's see what others have to say. Perhaps this is just my experience.
    Were you prescribed Valium for anxiety/panic or was it more of recreational use?
    From what I hear, the people who need this medicine like myself have less chance of serious addiction. But to be honest, I'd rather be addicted and feel normal than take nothing and suffer.

Ggeo is offline Member

Default I was prescribed it for anxiety....

It was prescribed to me for anxiety. Personally, like I said before, I built up a tolerance and I needed lots for any effect. It was a long time ago but I recall it stop working and then I had to withdraw. Your situation may be different.

carmen2010 is offline Junior Member

I've been prescribed Valium for a few months while I'm being tapered off suboxone because I'm having such a hard time with the taper.

The Dr. said I could take 1 10mg tablet during the day, and 3 at bedtime.

This is only for the duration of the Suboxone taper and then I will taper off the Valium.

I had been on it previously 10mg at night because of night time anxiety. When I was younger I was kidnapped, raped and threatened with murder. Ever since then I've had night time anxiety, and hardly slept for years.

I want to get off it entirely, and I have finally found a good counselor who I can talk to, so hopefully resolve my night time anxiety fears.

I wish you all the best. I never found that I built up a tolerance to it, and I've never abused it.

Carmen

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

If you find yourself taking valium multiple times a day it won't take long until you're physically dependent. I would highly suggest using them as needed, not just 3 times daily.
    thelma27 likes this.

gemina is offline New Member

I will repeat what pretty much anyone has ever said about benzos lol...they are insanely addictive. I still take them very occassionally when I am having and anxiety attack, but if you take them daily I just don't know that there is anyway to avoid dependence...

I'm so sorry to hear about your long struggle with depression, and I totally understand your willingness to take risks in exchange for being happy and high funtoning! The wonderful thing about benzos (and I have taken them all) is that there really is no drastic side effects for most people, the problem lies in what another user in this thread mentioned: your tolerance and need for a higher mg dosage will multiply like you absolutley would not believe...If I take it for 7 days straight, I go from needing 1-2 mg to needing at least 5mg...and remember that the highest dosage that they come in is 2 mg...and Ativan only lasts 6 hours!!

I started using .5 very moderately only as needed, so it's not like I wasn't cautious or was using recreationally. I would say that what you have going for you with Valium is it has a much longer half life, as opposed to Xanax or Ativan. But I would just be cautious and pay attention to other people's experiences with them! Good luck to you and be well !!

Most of the people on this forum are trying to find a way OUT of the corner they find themselves in. You may get feedback from someone on a "clinical" dose of Benzo's here...but I don't be surprised if you don't. My experience is that when using any mood or mind altering drug long term, even when used for clinical treatment, they may be effective at the beginning. But eventually after increasing the dose, or altering the schedule...whatever... eventually they don't work anymore. No more relief from the symptoms and now the insane side effects we never imagined at the beginning. Over the years I've witnessed several people going through withdrawl from Benzo's and it is THE WORST by far. It cannot be done outside of a clinical setting because of the very real risk of seizure. I genuinely pity anyone on Benzo's. They're usually the last one to know that it doesn't work for them anymore...they just keep taking them because they have to. I urge you to keep searching for a solution to your problem elsewhere.

-J

harry111 is offline New Member

Default No to valium!

re outburst99, if you are still viewing this thread, perhaps you should think again as to what you originally wrote. With reference to AD's you explained how you: "can't take it anymore" and that you are tired of going: "through life like a zombie, no emotions, no sex drive, lack of ability to care about anything etc." I accept we all react differently to our drugs of choice but even so I think you'll find that the side effects you described regarding AD use will be common throughout benzo and opiate use too.
    I think you're not being honest with yourself if you don't think that valium will eventually turn you into an 'emotionless, careless zombie.' Infact, it's very possible that valium will cause far more extreme side effects than any AD.
    We don't know how we are going to react to all these drugs-until it's usually too late, ie we have become addicted. By that time, we can no longer think for ourselves, the drugs do our thinking and we just want more. Valium is like >>>>>> in that we simply can't function without taking it once we are addicted.
    It's unclear as to why you want to take valium? Is it going to cure your anxiety and panic? AD's didn't do a good job of that though since you describe how you have been on: "just about every AD in the book for over 12 years" and you: "can't take it anymore." What makes you think valium, a potentially far more dangerous drug, will solve your problems?
    Valium may stop panic and anxiety in the short term, but it is only intended for short term use. In England doctors are advised to prescribe it only for a maximum two weeks at a time. Any longer, you will be at risk of becoming addicted and believe me, it is very hard to get off. Some people never come off valium, others manage to but it takes a very long time, months and perhaps years. Even then, your brain may be permanently affected and you will probably suffer eternal anxiety.
    If you think your anxiety is bad before you started taking valium, it will get a whole lot worse if you manage to finally come off it.
    As for doses, it's addictive so your tolerance will build up and you will likely need more and more. As well as my prescription, I used to buy valium off the street, I used to con my doctor one way or another out of giving me more, without valium I literally couldn't get past my front door. I had to have it.
    Of course everyone's experience is slightly different, but I wouldn't chance it if I were you.
    I was on valium for 10 years and never imagined a life without it. Eventually, I was forced off it, and after 6 months of no valium I'd beat the habit. But I still suffer side effects now, 3 years on.
    But I can deal with the side effects, I have no choice. What I found hard to deal with was how valium impacted my life, my family, my friends, all kinds of people.
    When I first took valium, which was when my father was diagnosed with an early onset terminal illness, I felt as though everything was ok, I could deal with my problems, all I had to do was to take more valium.
    Valium turned me into an emotionless, uncaring, unmotivated and useless liability, I was basically a junkie and needed my valium.
    I wasted 10 years of my life living in my own 'valium world', I lost everything I worked for, education, degree, good career etc Forget valium, it will get the better of you and will punish you.
    There is nothing out there that you can take which will always make you feel good. Life just isn't like that, it's not that easy!

happy-valerie is offline New Member

you are smart for staying off the xanax. dangerous stuff!
    valium, while having addictive qualities, is so gentle. Even the higher doses are tame.
    I wa son Klonopin (clonazepam) for a while, and it felt like a really subtle, easy drug. I was on 4 MG a day.

I tried valium but it didn't do a thing, but I hear it is good for daytime benzo use.

good luck!

Outofit is offline New Member

Default Trying to quit Clonazapam..

Hi-I have been on Clonazepam 1mg for over 6 years now, and wish to quit this highly addictive drug. My doctor recommended buspirone instead, but did not tell me if I have to taper clonazepam before starting taking Buspirone, or doing it together...He's way too vague about this situation, and I will see a Psychiatrist in order to get the right answer...Any input about tapering Clonazepam properly out there?