Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Geodon
    Kathy Boechler is offline New Member

Default Geodon

Geodon
    Generic Name: ziprasidone
    Treatment for: Psychotic Disorders

Have you taken or do you take Geodon?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/geodon.html
    Professional Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/geodon.html

I have a son on Geodone, I know this one is fairly new, but I am woundering if anyone is having problems with irritability, violent behavior and inability to think rashly. Since my son has taken it he has gotten worse! The only thing that it does do is make him super sleepy when it is time to go to bed and forget waking him up in the morning! It just is not happening!

Kathy
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-22-2007 at 06:48 PM.

cuzinruthi is offline New Member

My son just started taking Geodone, so I'll keep my eyes open. How old is your son?

DeeDee2013 is offline New Member

It sounds like you need to have your son's doctor reevaluate his meds ASAP. Antipsychotics can have these bad reactions. My 25 year-old son, who has schizophrenia, has recently had these reactions to the newer Abilify and is now in the hospital again after reacting to the newer Risperdal Consta injections. As the doctors increased these medications, my son became more "manic" with worse symptoms like you described. He has never done this in the 8 years of his illness. Now the doctors have started him on Geodon so your posting caught my eye. I think we are in an experimental phase of understanding the brain and our loved ones are the "guinea pig" case studies. I just wish that doctors would admit these dangerous side effects, but then there would be liability involved. My kind, loving son almost took my life last January....May God bless you in your efforts.

ljoyce is offline New Member

my son was on that drug for a couple weeks, I hated it, I had him go back to the DR. to change, but unless you go to a phychiastrist or some mental dr. you may be gettin wrong meds.Took my son to a mental hosp. for 2 wks they changed his meds all together and so far so good, family dr said he was schizophrenic, until we got him to the behavoral center , they say he is adhd and emotional distress.
    He was having seizures in school, he had cats snan and an mri and blood work done,thats when they sent him to this hospital, they counseled him and monitored him while weaning him off those other meds like the geodon, and risperal and paxil, he is on depacote and seroquel now and he seems himself with more control over his emotions, but that geodon and risperal made him very drugged up where he could not even stand! And yes that is very scary, I would advise anyone who is on those to be monitored very closely
    Thank You for reading this and I hope this helps at least 1 person out ther who thinks their child is on wrong meds!

cuzinruthi is offline New Member

I read that Geodone hasn't been tested on children and that it can cause heart problems. My son hasn't had any side effects so far. He is also on Seroquel and Depakote, but the psychiatrist is trying to take him off the seroquel because he's been on it for a few years and it can cause liver damage, and put him on the geodone and depakote instead.

Grendizer Guest

Hi,

I'm on Seroquel, and have been on it for a few years, and no sign of liver damage. Can you tell me please of where you've heard of this?

ELS
    ELS is offline New Member

I have been on Geodon 80mg twice a day for 9 days now. I am having violent behaviors,and I know it sounds weird but when I am dreaming, I can not tell if my dream was something I did or if it was a dream. It is really runing my life. Please I want to know if this is something from this medication or what I need to do.

conniemac is offline New Member

I have been taking Geodon for the last month and just stopped. This last month I have experienced three Rage Episodes. During the episodes I wanted to kill or maim loved ones and family members. I could actually visualize the distruction. I was extreemely frightened. Turning the Rage outward put my family in jeopardy and turning the Rage inward put my life at risk. It took all my self-control to prevent the violence. I was unaware that I was capable of experiencing such intense violent emotions.

I spoke to the Doctor. She told me "Goedon just causes irritation." I agree I was irritated very easily, but on Geodon I passed by anger and flew into the Rage without a backward glance. This month I have distroyed two, almost three, very important relationships in my life and have no idea how to repair them.

It took me almost the entire month to correlate the onset of the Rage Episodes with the Geodon and I am a high functioning Bi-Polar. I find it tragic that this side-effect is not listed anywhere. I can't believe I was so very close to hurting or killing someone and spending the rest of my life in prison or a hospital.

If this side-effect is acknowledged, care givers can watch for signs and have a plan in place to cope with a violent situation. I did have some positive social improvements and did not experience the extreme fatigue indicated by others. I am dissapointed that for me Geodon is not an option.

ebanss is offline New Member

I started Geodon three weeks ago. After four days of getting used to it, my life opened like a flower, I felt great and my problems were easier to see. I have had times where rage comes out but that is one of my basic problems I am working on. I take 40mg at night, 20mg in the morning and 20mg at lunch. Makes for an even day.

trueblue92863 is offline New Member

Hi, I am a 41 year old woman . I have been on Geodon for 4 years now for depression, I couldn't live with out it. It saved my life. I take 60mg once a day in the mornings. Just wanted you to know that it does help some people.

sydsmom is offline New Member

Hi. In response to the question about Seroquel & liver damage: this medication is metabolized almost entirely by the liver, so if you already have hepatic (liver) impairement, your doctor would monitor the dose & run labs to check liver function every like 4-6 months. There are many other potential side effects to watch for, this one is rare with this med. (although a high risk for the people on Depakote)

morticia is offline Member

hi Ive been on geodon for 2 years im on 360 megs a day i have never had a problem with it at all ive been in and out of the hospital for 6 years and ive have been on high dosese of haldol which is a bad bad med! geodon has saved my life i swear by it!

ameliamillion is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by ELS

I have been on Geodon 80mg twice a day for 9 days now. I am having violent behaviors,and I know it sounds weird but when I am dreaming, I can not tell if my dream was something I did or if it was a dream. It is really runing my life. Please I want to know if this is something from this medication or what I need to do.

ameliamillion is offline New Member

I just wanted to you know youdo not sound weird. My husband is experiencing everything youhave said. he feels he is going crazy with bad dreams adn when he is awake he is very irritable. He has been on it for about three weeks and is taking 120mg aday. I would suggest talking to your doctor. Now that I have on this site I realize he is not crazy. he will be happy to know this. thank you all.
    quote:Originally posted by ELS

serenity144 is offline New Member

I was put on depakote and geodone recently and i wish to be taken off immediatly. The Geodone makes my left chek twitch.I know there is a name for this type of facial spasm. I'm worried about my health. I also am a smoker and i know that and the meds is not a good mix. I know what things were troubling me before i was put on the meds and i know what i can do to better my situation. I just got medical assistance for the first time in years and i know my months supply of geodone is going to run out before my medical assistance comes through. This is going to be a trip i can see from here. My suggestions are get off this medicine and just combat the problems with talk therapy.

Theresa42 is offline New Member

Hi everybody,

I am new to this board -- and the reason I am here is to find out if anybody has experienced any rage or violent thoughts/actions while taking Geodon. (I also started another thread on the board discussing Geodon because I wanted to make sure the subject line was clearly visible.)

The reason I am looking for informations is that a couple of weeks ago (you may have heard about this in the news), a young man (19) diagnosed with Asperger's shot and killed two of his neighbors as well as himself. He was reportedly taking Geodon. Apparently, he did not like being on the medication -- he said he was happier before taking it -- but because his parents and psychiatrist were satisfied with his progress, he remained on it.

"Killer Sought Solace Online"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ahoostorylinks

None of the stories in the press have reported anything about Geodon (only one article that I read mentioned that he was on 'medication'). So, I'd be really interested to find out any information any of you might have about Geodon.

Thanks for your help.

shirley91 is offline New Member

I have been taking Geodon for three weeks now, and all it has seem to have done for me is make me extremly tired. I mean almost all the time, and that makes me have less motivation, and I'm just useless all day. I cant think straight its a feeling like when you turn on the tv but forget to turn on the cable box, and the screens all fuzzy with that annoying noise, well thats what i feel like. School is starting again soon, and i dont think i can concentrate or even stay awake. Anyone have any idea what could be going on or what i should do???

damski is offline New Member

Default geodon

I have dealt with Manic Depression for 10 years. Been on ALL the anti-psychotics.

I was happy to see the new drug abiliy come about because it is a new class of drug, but was dismayed that it didnt work for me. (restlessness like all the others)

My doctor said geodon was rather a last resort, but how so I wish I had tried it years ago.

First of all the massive sedation was terrible, like nothing >> had before. However, it stopped after a few weeks. Some nights I do get drowsy here and there. Takes a bit of tweaking on when to take it. I like to take in a bit earlier than right at bedtime to actually help the process of me falling alseep.

I grind my teeth a bit but that is all the "restlessness" i have had, and it didnt present itself until recently.

One MAJOR thing to consider is Geodon acts like an anti-depressant, which can be a really nice side effect.

One thing I have really noticed is coming from never recalling a dream in years I now recall 3-4 a night and most arent pleasent. Interesting, but not pleasent.

I am also on depakote and lamitical to stablize mood (depakote) and depression (lamitcal).

I guess the biggest advice reading over some of your posts is to realize that even the newest drug has about 60% effectiveness, and if you fall into that group, fine. But I have found that youll get a pretty good idea how a drug is working with you pretty soon and there are lots of other options out there. Dont be afraid of "older' drugs simply because there is a newly developed one.... there is hopefully the right drug for everyone. Find one you can tolerate if possible.

Phalanx is offline New Member

Default from Effexor to Geodon

Just got done reading about the withdrawal symptoms of Effexor
    specifically the "brain zaps"...as it turns out the medical genius'
    at my local mental heath center switched me from Effexor XR to Geodon without tapering me off of EFFexor at all first...so i told them i was getting electrical zaps in my head and that i did'nt think that the Geodon was going to work out..and they just looked at me cluelessly...and kept me on Effexor XR !
    so i was never able to give Geodon a chance...

Thank God for Drugs.com and the wonderful members here.

lil_rascal is offline New Member

Default geodon side effects

My 12 yr old son was on it for about 2 weeks until I received a phone call from the school saying that he was being taken to the hospital by ambulance.

[COLOR="Red"]He had a what they called Extrapyramidal symptoms, which is often abbreviated EPS, and is a neurological side effect of antipsychotic medication.

Involuntary movements (tardive dyskinesia)
    One of the most common EPS side effects is involuntary movements most often affecting the mouth, lips and tongue. For example, the patient may have facial tics, roll the tongue and lick the lips. Sometimes also the trunk or other parts of the body are also affected.
    This side effect is usually managed or minimized by reducing the medication dosage or by changing type of medication. However, the symptoms may persist even through the medication is altered.[/COLOR]

At the hospital they gave him 50 mg of benedryl IV and said that he should not take it again... Hope this helps..

eaglecap is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by shirley91 View Post
    I have been taking Geodon for three weeks now, and all it has seem to have done for me is make me extremly tired. I mean almost all the time, and that makes me have less motivation, and I'm just useless all day. I cant think straight its a feeling like when you turn on the tv but forget to turn on the cable box, and the screens all fuzzy with that annoying noise, well thats what i feel like. School is starting again soon, and i dont think i can concentrate or even stay awake. Anyone have any idea what could be going on or what i should do???
    that has been my reaction to geodon (which i no longer take) I am thankful no rage here...i asked to be changed to another drug and taken off of it completely, and i am not on abilify instead

cgarrels is offline New Member

Default geodon

For the first time in 35 yrs. my husband can finally think clearly, speak intelligently and feel normal. You have to get the right dosage though. Too much makes you sleep constantly and too little makes you hyper. He takes his before bedtime and it knocks him out, but by 7am or so he is ready to start the day and has energy all day. No more days being too depressed to get off of the couch! Start out with 20mg and slowly increase it.

ourselfish is offline New Member

Default Bad Dreams & Fatigue

i have been on geodon for over a year now, i started at 60 mg and have slowly moved up to 120 because of anxiety problems, my problems started after i had a psychotic break while attending college over a year ago.
    I am now back in school, i am plagued with odd dreams where i cannot control my movement, the world is tipping on me, but i seem to be learning how to stop this, it takes work inside my dream to prevent from spinnning, i ususaly wake rested. I have experienced depression early on and anxiety, it has seemed to help with these issues, or i am learning how to deal with them my self its been so long i would rather credit my self for the progress than credit the geodon.
    My parents swear by the geodon, but i have never liked it because of my dreams, I didnt notice any rage or irritation caused by the geodon though i was very irritated over a year ago after i left the hospital.

eccentric414 is offline New Member

when you talk about your sleeping problems, i was wondering if you ever experiece paralyzed sleeps? i take abilify now, but the doctors want to switch me to geodon. i am dianosed with adhd and borderline personality disorder. i have already developed tartive dykenesia from the mistaks made by past doctors putting me on haldol and risperdol. do you think that geodon is a good drug over all?

patsmiles is offline New Member

Default Geodon - Withdrawl, Rage, Insomina & Sex Drive

I know this is an old thread but worth visiting. I have been on Geodon for three years. The first year I was on 40mgs and I had a rage episode. My pdoc and I did not understand this med has a wear off effect and should be taken twice daily to keep an even flow in the system. I was taking it once daily and the withdrawl was driving me insane and I did not understand it. I became psychotic on 40mgs and attacked my husband and was arrested. That got me 2yrs probation. Nobody understood why I did what I did. To this day I am still trying to figure out what happened. My pdoc is for certain I was not taking Geodon but I was. I was transferred to the state hospital for evaluation and the Geodon was raised to 120mgs. 60mgs twice a day. Immediately my ankle started having twitching issues and I refused half the dose. That almost got me court ordered meds but fortunately my pdoc was one of the oncall pdocs. After 30days I was released on 60mgs a day. My ankle stopped twitching immediately. The 60mgs once a day lasted about three months and I started feeling withdrawl effects heavily again. I was finding myself taking the medication earlier and earlier because I was not feeling right taking it once a day. I was bottoming out a few hours before I was due to take my meds. A general feeling of unwellness. Feeling dizzy. Feeling unsteady. Just not feeling right. I thought my psychosis was returning.

We upped the dose to 100mgs a day. I take 40mgs in the am and 60mgs in the pm. I deal with a stuffy nose all the time. Constipation is constant too along with a feeling of something stuck in the base of my throat. When I started Geodon I weighed 138pds. Now three yrs later I weigh 153 pds. I have not had a major psychotic or manic episode since upping the Geodon two yrs ago. I am bp1 w/psychotic features.

Understand I HATE GEODON!!! Several times I have tried to wean myself off this med and it is next to impossible. Cutting back makes you sick. Taking it long term makes you sick because you have to up it to stablize. If you take it long term like I have you have to take more of it to stay feeling physically well. I have never taken any drug that treats me like this one. Dizzyness, loose stools, nausea, general feeling of unwellness, feelings of unsteadyness if you try to get off of it or the withdrawl starts to hit you. Your body screams for Geodon if you don't take it for a few days and lasts for weeks. It it like herion but their is no methidone to treat you.

I have taken 100mgs for two yrs now and have experienced mini bouts of psychosis that last a few hours to a day at most. I refuse to up the dose any further because of the withdrawl effects. When the psychosis hits I cut back for a few days and get physically sick then reintroduce back to my normal dose and I am good for a few weeks. So far this has worked for me but I don't know how long it will last. I have seen very little written about people's experiences about getting off this vicious drug. Right now I am back to trying to wean myself off of it for the fourth time. I pray I can do it this time. Giving it to children is cruel. The effects I have experinced with this drug would be impossible for a child to explain to an adult to regulate. Another thing is I have completely lost my sex drive on this drug. I had a healthy sex drive before Geodon now I could careless about sex. It does not stop your ability to have an orgasam but it kills you wanting sex at all.

Insomonia has been my best friend for the last three years on this drug. Another reason I hate Geodon. Ambien does not help. I sleep about 5 hours a night unless I take 2mgs of Ativan or get really drunk. I have tried the Ambien CR formula and I have the same effects. My insurance won't cover any other sleep meds. 5 hours is the max with Ambien or no Ambien. Small wonder I have not had a major episode due to lack of sleep. When my body feels my lack of sleep I do find myself napping which screws with my night sleeping even more.

I have tried to cover it and I am sure I have forgotten some. Please add to this thread!!! There is still so much to be learned about this drug.

queenie30 is offline New Member

Cool Geodon - Weight Loss, Mania Anyone?

i've been on geodon for 5 wx & have lost 15 #'s. i usually weigh 130, now 115. looking anorexic, but my depression is a lot better now, i'm happy, first time in ovr a yr. nothing else could break the barrier except the geodon, but it makes me manic, on top of already being manic…can't sleep. as I was about to crash & burn (thu), before I went running to the ER, i found my stash of 4 mg risperdal that i just weened myself off of 3 mos ago, due to the long term side effects i was having (td, slurring, twitching, sexual dysfunction...). it took the edge off, til I can talk to the pdoc on tue.

like many of you, i’ve tried everything. i’m at my wit’s end. This bizarre combo seems to work for me. It puts a muzzle on the mania, allowing me a more hypomanic state where I can function & still feel really happy. although I’m going to try 40 vs 60 mg geodon. & try going down to 2 mg risperdal or try another a/p. adding the risperdal allowed me to sleep, along w/the lorazepam. but, I prefer not to be on risperdal

So, as of now…i'm on 60 mg geodon, 675 mg lithium, 4 mg risperdal & 1 mg lorazepam X 2/day.

has anyone else had this experience? Especially w/the mania & weight loss?

PLZ HELP! QUEENIE

bobisocks is offline New Member

Exclamation Geodone makes me dizzy, light-headed, and tingly all over

Does anyone get this feeling?
    I just started about 3 weeks ago. I was weened of of depakote and am now on lamictal(400mg), abilify(75mg), and geodone(20mg) all taken once at bedtime..
    I feel fine during the day, but about 6pm or so, I start feeling tingly and lightheaded...almost to the point of nausea. Does anyone have any feedback or insight on this? Any input would be appreciated.

KGirl is offline New Member

Default New to Geodone and Bipolar 2

Taking Depakote ER - 1250 mg (seems to not be working) and just started Geodon (will be at 40 mg by weeks end). Take Clozepan 1 mg (as needed). Abilify made me manicky... majority of these posts seem negative on side effects of Geodon. ALL of this is new. Just diagnosed in June '08. Just want to get on the right cocktail so I can start a productive path... Any helpful tips?

adoan is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by conniemac View Post
    I have been taking Geodon for the last month and just stopped. This last month I have experienced three Rage Episodes. During the episodes I wanted to kill or maim loved ones and family members. I could actually visualize the distruction. I was extreemely frightened. Turning the Rage outward put my family in jeopardy and turning the Rage inward put my life at risk. It took all my self-control to prevent the violence. I was unaware that I was capable of experiencing such intense violent emotions.

I spoke to the Doctor. She told me "Goedon just causes irritation." I agree I was irritated very easily, but on Geodon I passed by anger and flew into the Rage without a backward glance. This month I have distroyed two, almost three, very important relationships in my life and have no idea how to repair them.

It took me almost the entire month to correlate the onset of the Rage Episodes with the Geodon and I am a high functioning Bi-Polar. I find it tragic that this side-effect is not listed anywhere. I can't believe I was so very close to hurting or killing someone and spending the rest of my life in prison or a hospital.

If this side-effect is acknowledged, care givers can watch for signs and have a plan in place to cope with a violent situation. I did have some positive social improvements and did not experience the extreme fatigue indicated by others. I am dissapointed that for me Geodon is not an option.
    I think this med is not the right one for you. You should taper off slowly and get out of it before you kill someone you love or kill yourself. I heard the side effects of it on patients like you. It takes strength and courage to confront your problems and overcome it. Pray to God for help and support.

Krisi61305 is offline New Member

Default Please read this!!!

I was prescribed Geodon when I was 16. It ruined my life and ruined my relationship with my family. Thankfully, I have rebuilt my relationships with them. I was diagnosed with bipolar at 16 and put on Geodon along with many other bipolar drugs. My house was a pharmacy. When I started taking Geodon I started acting out my suicidal thoughts and taking my anger out on those closest to me. I drank rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, I cut myself and I jumped out of my bedroom window. I wanted to take myself off of it because I knew something was wrong. My family just thought I was a nutcase and that I needed it. The first night I tried, I went to sleep over a friends house. That whole night I could not sleep and I felt so angry. I was pacing around the house all night. I went home the next day and my parents made me take it. A few weeks went by and I didnt take it again. This time, I was at home and my dad told me to turn my radio down. I flipped out and starting whipping him with the cord to the radio. Of course, I got arrested which ticked me off even more and I was running my mouth to the cops.

I have not taken Geodon since the day I got arrested which was in 2005.
    When I got out of jail, I was put in a type of half way mental hospital. I called my psyciatrist to tell him I didnt need him anymore so he had me come in to "fill out paperwork". He tried putting me on Geodon AGAIN!!! Of course, I walked out and havent seen him to this day. As time went on in the mental place, come to find out, I DONT HAVE BI POLAR!!! I have borderline personality disorder and dystimea which is mild depression. I have been off of any type of medication for 3 years now, and I have never felt better.

And to parents who either have their children on Geodon or are considering it, take a look first at your childs life and determine if it is just the teenage rebelious years or if your child really has a problem. Include them in the decision making of the meds the doctor recommends. Research EVERY side effect of EVERY med and read forums!!! You can never have too much info on what you are giveing your child and reading about peoples expierences with medications might make you reconsider. I thought up until today when I read this forum that it was only me that had these issues. Obviously its not. If you do decide to give your child or if you yourself decide to take Geodon, please be very cautious and the first sign of ANYTHING that you wouldnt do while not on the medication, please consider getting off of it.

I have a great life with the man I love and a great relationship with my parents. I was lucky enough to be given chances to live my life and not spend the rest of it in and out of jail and mental hospitals. Would you or your child be lucky enough????

~Kristie~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast