• 1 Post By frimilden
  • 1 Post By ]3upe
  • 1 Post By aprilflower123
  • 1 Post By InTheKnow
  • 1 Post By Protoge-moi
Generic Subutex now available
    frimilden is offline New Member

Default Generic Subutex now available

CVS and Walgreens Pharmacies are now able to get generic Subutex (Buprenorphine Hydrochloride Sublingual).

In my area of Michigan my local Walgreens priced it:

#60 8mg $159.00 or $2.65 per tablet.

This is very significant savings as Subutex and Suboxone go for between 5-10 dollars per tablet.

I suggest you guys on Suboxone see if your doctors will switch you to Subutex until a Generic Suboxone is available.
    tee34 likes this.

recoveryfirst is offline New Member

The Generic was approved by the FDA on October 9Th, and while it is a significant savings for patients. It may not be the best method of treatment. Suboxone contains the opiate blocker Naloxone while the new generic does not, just as Subutex does not. Subutex is not prescribed by many doctors due to the abuse potential. I doubt that many doctors are going to want to prescribe it for fear of their patients abusing it. Even though Suboxone is expensive, in my opinion it is still the safe way to go.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryfirst View Post
    The Generic was approved by the FDA on October 9Th, and while it is a significant savings for patients. It may not be the best method of treatment. Suboxone contains the opiate blocker Naloxone while the new generic does not, just as Subutex does not. Subutex is not prescribed by many doctors due to the abuse potential. I doubt that many doctors are going to want to prescribe it for fear of their patients abusing it. Even though Suboxone is expensive, in my opinion it is still the safe way to go.

The naloxone ONLY puts users into precipitated w/d when they abuse the pills such as IV use. The buprenorphine that is in both medications is the opiate blocker. Has nothing to do with the naloxone whatsoever. All naloxone is for is to prevent abusing suboxone by putting it in your arm. If you don't shoot drugs there is NO reason for using suboxone.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

frimilden is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The naloxone ONLY puts users into precipitated w/d when they abuse the pills such as IV use. The buprenorphine that is in both medications is the opiate blocker. Has nothing to do with the naloxone whatsoever. All naloxone is for is to prevent abusing suboxone by putting it in your arm. If you don't shoot drugs there is NO reason for using suboxone.
    You are absolutely correct Robert_325.

The naloxone is only in suboxone as a deterrent to I.V. abuse.

Subutex and Suboxone, as far as ACTIVE ingredient, are 1 and the same....Buprenorphine HCL.

When taking as prescribed the naloxone in suboxone is inert, not active, not doing anything.

Take my word for it, or not, I do not care.... But as for now and the foreseeable future there will not be a generic Suboxone. There are many reasons for that but if you are that concerned you will research it for yourself.

IF a generic Suboxone does hit the market there will be little to no savings compared to brand. So take it as you want, but for now, this is as good as it will get.

Cost has always been the biggest issue for those who want help with this med. and now there is a much, much cheaper alternative. I have reported to this site what I know thus far, take it how you want, do as you want.

Until a generic Suboxone is out that is as cheap or cheaper I think myself and many others will press our doctors to switch.

rawls007 is offline New Member

Very interesting. I was always under the impression the naloxone was in place to prevent users from getting "high" or to cause them to feel sick if they used other opiates while on the sub, thereby reducing the risk for abuse.

If I would have known the naloxone was only there to prevent me from shooting up the drug I would have assured the doctor there was a zero chance of me even thinking about taking the sub that way.

What kind of facts or argument should I present to my doctor to allow me to use the subutex instead? He's an older hardheaded kind of guy who's probably very set in his ways. Aren't there some unwanted side effects of the naloxone? If all it's doing is costing me extra money and adding more side effects then I'd like to switch to generic subutex. Right now I'm paying almost $10 a pill which is a drain on my wallet.

tonyia77 is offline New Member

Question Question about generic Sub's

Hi,Iv been searching all day on pics for this new medication I just got today.I was on Subutex 2 years ago and they were the oval shaped.I just found out Im pregnant and my doc switched me from Suboxone to Subutex,I was told i filled the generic form of Subutex but they are ROUND?and white..With the imprint of 54-411,,,,Is this sounding right to you?I thought >> ask since by ur thread it seems u have experience with both also?Im afraid to take it becuz my first thought was OH ********,they goofed,,but maybe not..But as i said im pregnant and nows not the time to stop!lol,,anyway any information is greatly appreciated and thanks abunch in advance..

]3upe is offline New Member

to the above statement - yes you got the correct pill. i just whent to get my subutex filled the other day and they gave me the generic bupe. i was confused at first too cuz it looks like a perc. but its just bupe 8 mg, same thing as the brand name. i was actually releived to get the generic because my insurance changed 2 months ago and i had to pay 455 dollars for 60 subutex. now i only payed 120 for the generics and they are no different. after only paying 50 bucks for subutex for 3 years that 455 dollar script was out of controll. these generics couldnt have come at a better time. yea and subutex is better than suboxone in my opinion.
    Last edited by ]3upe; 11-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.

]3upe is offline New Member

for the dude who wants to switch but doesnt know what to tell his doc --> tell suboxone gives me a headache. i have massive craving with suboxone
    suboxone sucks my balls. subutex has generic. im broke. give me
    A69 likes this.

billyhh162 is offline New Member

Default Subutex

Can you give me the Walgreens store#, Getting way higher prices down south.

warrengang is offline New Member

Prices change from state to state and city to city depnding on economics of the area. In Atlanta wallgreen's charges four dollars for generic subutex.

You can do mail order from major pharmacies such as costco.com, which may be less expensive.

Psilocybe is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Actually that's not true. The naloxone WILL put you into precipitated withdrawal no matter how you take it, if you have too many opiates floating around in your system. I've gone into precipitated withdrawal countless times trying to get on suboxone, and it was extreme. And yes, I took the tablets sublingually. I have heard that the real reason naloxone is in suboxone is so that you can't absorb the bupe into your system if you try injecting it (or snorting it I think, but not sure). I don't think I've heard anything about actually going into withdrawal by shooting it so long as your system is currently free of other opiates, but I'm not too sure about that one either.

Psilocybe ........ Whatever you say! I'm sure you know best. You seem to be unsure of a lot in your reply to be correcting people who've done this for years.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-22-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

aprilflower123 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rawls007 View Post
    Very interesting. I was always under the impression the naloxone was in place to prevent users from getting "high" or to cause them to feel sick if they used other opiates while on the sub, thereby reducing the risk for abuse.

If I would have known the naloxone was only there to prevent me from shooting up the drug I would have assured the doctor there was a zero chance of me even thinking about taking the sub that way.

What kind of facts or argument should I present to my doctor to allow me to use the subutex instead? He's an older hardheaded kind of guy who's probably very set in his ways. Aren't there some unwanted side effects of the naloxone? If all it's doing is costing me extra money and adding more side effects then I'd like to switch to generic subutex. Right now I'm paying almost $10 a pill which is a drain on my wallet.
    You are correct-Naloxone/narcan is the blocker (antagonist-meaning blocker) "Narcan is a narcotic antagonist. It works by blocking opiate receptor sites, which reverses or prevents toxic effects of narcotic (opioid) analgesics." (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/narcan.html), buprenorphine is the partial agonist where as morphine and other opiates are full agonist. "Buprenorphine is an opioid medication. Buprenorphine is similar to other opioids such as morphine, codeine, and >>>>>> however, it produces less euphoric ("high") effects and therefore may be easier to stop taking.Naloxone blocks the effects of opioids such as morphine, codeine, and >>>>>>. If buprenorphine and naloxone is injected, naloxone will block the effects of buprenorphine and lead to withdrawal symptoms in a person with an opioid addiction. When administered under the tongue as directed, naloxone will not affect the actions of buprenorphine".(http://www.drugs.com/mtm/buprenorphi...aloxone.html);) Although speaking the buprenorphine does seem to act as a blocker because of where it binds to the receptors so strong it does keep you from the otherwise "high" that you would be feeling from the opiate if you had taken it alone. I think I noted somewhere where buprenorphine acts as partial agonist/antagonist at certain receptors......not sure of where I read that at now. I personally perfer the subutex myself due to the sensitivity issues that I was having with the suboxone as opposed to the subutex (headaches, edgyness, flushness, palpitations, felt like I was running a fever all the time(flushness), no drive to want to do anything, feeling bad basically)in which those were not as prominant with the subutex(feel like have more energy with, no headaches, no edgyness or moodyness, just feel normal on the subutex)...Ive had a history of migraines for years and oh man those suboxone really raised my head off my shoulders, but the mood swings and edgy feeling was more than i could bear.....some people seem to do really well on the suboxone though, but of course everything seems to work backwards on me, guess its where I have ADHD(speed is supposed to speed people up, well it slowed me down) if you catch what im saying.....guess im just backwards, lol.....the saddest part is when you, yourself, know how you feel and you have some INSENSITIVE doctors that have the nerve to tell you "theres not enough of naloxone in that medication that you should be feeling that way"...like you are lying or something and that really burns my butt! Just reading from subutex vs suboxone forum here, I see that Im not the only one experiencing these sensitivities to naloxone and Im gonna print these off and take them to my doctor and say "here, look, maybe you havent done enough research on what TRUE certain % of people that are experiencing difficulties as myself" and now make me out to be a liar!....my story"was given suboxone induction, after couple mths of feeling bad (thinking it was the w/d leaving me from the oxys) but not after several mths, i named it to my doctor about the headaches/edgyness/flushness, etc., well the P.A(physician asst.) is whom i told it to, well he switched me to subutex to see if it was a sensitivity to the naloxone, took about 2-3 days to notice difference but it was like a 180 turn around for me....i was able to get up outta bed, function normally, headaches decreased, no edgyness, even had lil energy" well now he has switched everyone back to suboxone film since 2 weeks ago unless ur confirmed pregnant...now i feel like im back to square 1 and he doesnt care....so im looking for me another physician in kentucky or surrounding area...I dont have insurance now and the suboxone film are 3x higher to feel, and the MD said "were not concerned about cost here" but now I am, hes not the one has to fill my script...I feel hes heartless and cold to people whom are desperate for help, Im so afraid im going to relapse if I keep feeling bad. If anyone knows of physician in either tennessee, or virginia, or ky that would listen and possibly still prescribes subutex could you please email me at (aprilflower123@yahoo.com)....PS: it is stated above that "when administered SL than naloxone does not affect the actions of buprenorphine" so it doesnt affect the actions of the bupre. but what about the adverse reactions(sideeffects) that it is causing on the person(such as myself) to my body??? hmmmm
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-17-2010 at 05:19 AM.
    A69 likes this.

InTheKnow is offline New Member

Exclamation Actually.. (No offense)

Just thought I would clear things up, especially since the last person seems to really enjoy copy-and-pasting facts about drugs, but not taking the time to actually explain the action of them correctly.

Okay, so most of you are almost correct, except naloxone really takes NO EFFECT WHAT-SO-EVER. Please, believe me, I have extensive experience with this.

Naloxone was only used in combination with buprenorphine to allow Reckitt Benckiser (formerly a UK cleaning company turned US pharmaceutical giant) the ability to easily push their own patent for buprenorphine (which had been around for 30 years already) through the FDA with little questions..

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~TL;DR~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
    Buprenorphine has an extremely strong affinity for opiate receptors, stronger than methadone, and yes, STRONGER THAN NALOXONE. This means that PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWALS AND THE BLOCKADE EFFECT are both caused by BUPRENORPHINE ALONE. Now, sure naloxone might race to the opiate receptors and bind a fraction of a second before buprenorphine, but the buprenorphine tears it off the receptors instantly, along with every other antagonist/agonist in site. And once there is even a small amount of buprenorphine on the receptors, naloxone never has a chance to bind. It happens whether you take it sublingually or by ingestion, insufflation, injection, or even the dreaded plugging.
    !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

The bottom line is, it was just a bulls**t ploy to make millions of dollars, and it worked. Reckitt and Benckiser has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes (including our doctors and politicians). But I am only one man, I can only undo the lies so much, you all need to help spread truth.
    A69 likes this.

A69
    A69 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Wow! Thank you, that is fantastic! Finally more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by frimilden View Post
    CVS and Walgreens Pharmacies are now able to get generic Subutex (Buprenorphine Hydrochloride Sublingual).

In my area of Michigan my local Walgreens priced it:

#60 8mg $159.00 or $2.65 per tablet.

This is very significant savings as Subutex and Suboxone go for between 5-10 dollars per tablet.

I suggest you guys on Suboxone see if your doctors will switch you to Subutex until a Generic Suboxone is available.
    --- Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
    I am so grateful just to see the price go down lower.
    Sooooo much better than suboxone!!!
    I just paid around $90 for 15 - 8mg, which I suppose is the new generic subutex, here in South Florida, so that's about $5.60 each. Still expensive but much better price than suboxone.
    I like the subutex better anyway because the naloxone in suboxone gives me headaches. So I am a happy camper. I hope you are as well.
    Peace

A69

Thumbs up I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ]3upe View Post
    to the above statement - yes you got the correct pill. i just whent to get my subutex filled the other day and they gave me the generic bupe. i was confused at first too cuz it looks like a perc. but its just bupe 8 mg, same thing as the brand name. i was actually releived to get the generic because my insurance changed 2 months ago and i had to pay 455 dollars for 60 subutex. now i only payed 120 for the generics and they are no different. after only paying 50 bucks for subutex for 3 years that 455 dollar script was out of controll. these generics couldnt have come at a better time. yea and subutex is better than suboxone in my opinion.
    I agree that subutex is way better than suboxone, but everyone is made so unique, that some people feel just the opposite. I believe there is no need at all for me to take any naloxone, no reason at all. All it did was give me headaches which is the pain I was seeking relief for in the first place. Peace

A69

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ]3upe View Post
    for the dude who wants to switch but doesnt know what to tell his doc --> tell suboxone gives me a headache. i have massive craving with suboxone
    suboxone sucks my balls. subutex has generic. im broke. give me

I could not agree more about the suboxone sucking your balls. From experience, the naloxone in suboxone did give me headaches and tasted awful and worst of all the prices are outrageous. Subutex, in my opinion, is much better and now that there is a generic, its a no brainer.

A69

You are awesome and absolutely NOT alone. I felt EXACTLY the same way you did and I hate naloxone because of it. Thank you so much for letting me know, I am not the only one that did not feel right when I took naloxone. Headaches, and all that stuff you felt. I am sorry but your doctor sounds kind of ??????. I am in South Florida and I have an ok doctor, but in the past, he also would not change my rx to subutex, instead of suboxone. I stopped seeing that doctor for a year or so and just went back yesterday and had no problem getting my script for subutex, NOT suboxone.?. I found that subutex helps relieve alot of my pain and so far no headaches! Amen.. I have nothing but good things to say about subutex and never want anything to do with naloxone ever again. I believe the patient should have the choice of subutex or suboxone since we, the patients, are paying for it and taking it, not the doctor. I hope you can find a better doctor that will give you what works best for YOU, not him. PEACE

A69

Thank you for that very interesting, excellent post - aprilflower123. You rock!

A69

Amazing post, intheknow. Very Impressive, super interesting and ...... you posted that, 30 years, the buprenorphine has been around.?.! Wow. And they must be extremely rich! Thank you sooooo very much for sharing your knowledge with us. PEACE

A69

Wow again, intheknow. So, basically the naloxone is useless, not needed, serving no purpose.?.

If a person doesn't shoot opiates they don't need suboxone period! That's all the naloxone is for is to help prevent abuse. And it affects about 15% of all users of naloxone adversely with lots of side effects I can pick off in one conversation with a user. Buprenorphine has been available for MANY YEARS in several other countries like the UK, France, Australia, the list is long. And they also have doses available in .2mg and .4mg instead of the 2mg and 8mg doses as in the USA. And now the manufacturer has come up with suboxone films to create another patent for themselves to continue raping the opiate addict. No one cares about addicts really, so they continue to get away with it.

You don't jump off from 2mg doses without a lot of misery, so they, the sub drs, have most people who don't know better on doses that they get addicted to creating a money train for those sub drs who are lacking in scruples. I have inducted people from other countries with.2mg and .4mg doses for years. That is how I learned to induct people properly and not suggest 16mg per day and more like most sub drs in the USA tell people to take. I induct most everyone here at 2-3mg per day, and that includes serious opiate addicts with long histories. Using subutex is much easier to work with and the generic buprenorphine has been available here for a good while now, so it's lots less expensive than suboxone. It's a scam unfortunately for lots of sub drs in the USA. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-21-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Protoge-moi is offline New Member

I help at a half way house so this info I get directly from those clients. It may come to a surprise to some of you, the naloxone in suboxone only prevents iv use ONLY if the user has opiates in thier system.

Patients at the half way house inject suboxone and get high for 2-3 days. The only way suboxone would cause precipitated withdrawl if if the person has opiates in thier system, otherwise, it's a scam by the drug comps to promote and push a more expensive medication to addicts that are seeking help.

I've been told by a dr that the drug reps that push suboxone are threatening drs that if they prescribe anything other then suboxone, they are threatening to report then to the fda.

The only diff between suboxone and subutex if the cost since subutex is offered in generic form.

The half way house I help out at now has to drug test residents due to the fact that they injecting suboxone, not subutex. This comes from thier mouths, must drs are fooled into thinking suboxone is not able to be abused. So there is much less subutex on the streets then suboxone.

Don't be fooled, suboxone is 100% injectable and patients are getting a cheap 3 day high.
    AceBoogey1985 likes this.

AceBoogey1985 is offline New Member

subutex helps so much with my pain, the suboxone made me lose 20 pounds over 6 month period i swear and after i got lab work over my liver cause i was bleedin in my stool, they switched me 2 subutex asap that day now i had to go pay another 150 dollar visit cause the place i was goin doesnt do it for pain, its so hard for somebody that has had broken body parts to do the right thing, im just tryin to do the least amount of meds without killin my liver anymore, but if they are the same then why can i take 2 strips or 1 or a half and it does nothing for the pain but i can take a half of the subutex and i fill so much better, under the tongue not in the arm, why does it help so much thanks...ace