Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Generic Ambien vs. Brand Name
    kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Generic Ambien vs. Brand Name

Has anyone who has been taking Ambien recently been switched to the generic version (Zolpidem) I just got my refill and it was for the generics which I have never taken. For some reason I doesn't seem to work for sleep (AT ALL) Now, I have never been critcal of generic medications, in fact, I really never thought it made a difference. Please post your experiences with the generic version. Thank You.
    ludlow49 likes this.

I haven't taken the generic yet, I was waiting on feedback from others. I take the 12.5 though, wonder if it is even available in the CR?
    BigJackPhillips likes this.

skullfission is offline New Member

I myself haven't really noticed a difference in the Mylan ones. I've had 3 fills of the generic 10 mg now (two Mylan and another from a company I can't remember) and the only time I noticed a difference was with the non-Mylan ones. It did seem like a dramatic reduction in potency.

Catasteams is offline New Member

Unhappy Ambien vs Zolpidem

I have been using ambien for about 6 yrs, because of sleeping problems related to fibromyalgia. It has worked well for me and I did not have any weird side effects. 2 weeks ago, the pharmacy filled it with the generic zolpidem. I finally figured out that the recent trouble sleeping was due to the generic. It took me a long time to fall asleep and then I would wake up 4hrs later, tossing and turning the rest of the night. I finally figured out that it was the generic. My pharmacist gave me some real ambien and have slept again for the past two nights. TODAY, I got a letter from my insurance, stating that the generic is now going to be on their formulary and Ambien is going to cost me more. HELP, what can I do?? It is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James A. Lyons is offline New Member

Default This Ambien was crazy stuff for me

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9494 View Post
    Has anyone who has been taking Ambien recently been switched to the generic version (Zolpidem) I just got my refill and it was for the generics which I have never taken. For some reason I doesn't seem to work for sleep (AT ALL) Now, I have never been critcal of generic medications, in fact, I really never thought it made a difference. Please post your experiences with the generic version. Thank You.

I don't remember if I was taking the brand name or generic Ambien, but what I do rememeber was that after I took it it made me feel like I was on mushrooms everytime. Usually about an hour after I would take it, I would get this strong urge to call some of my friends or family late at night just to chat with them. I also felt very strange after taking this prescription sleep aid. This prescription sleep aid was by most the most bizzare of all medications I have taken......and really have to laugh about it's side effects.

rwr104 is offline New Member

Default Zolpidem - bad experience in 2001

I took Zolpidem (5mg) in 2001. After 28 days I was experiencing many side effects such as sleeplessness, nightmares, depression, paranoia and strange behaviour (I would get out of lifts two floors above/below the floor I wanted so I could check who was folowing me). It also affected my vision - I developed 'blind spots' but didn't realise it, which led to my pulling out in front of a car. I discussed these symptoms with my doctor and the doseage was increased to 10mg for 28 days (to try to overcome the sleeplessness); by the end of this period I was in trouble with the police and ended up with a criminal conviction which, in hind sight, was due to my altered behaviour whilst taking the drug. I can be contacted on rwrZolpidem at googlemail dot com; this email address will be disabled if I receive too much spam.

Asiablu is offline New Member

I have taken both, Ambien and Zolipidem I dont notice a difference..... James I laughed when I read your post, I do the same thing! I want to get on the computer and chat and then I want to cook wierd foods! LOL Half the time I dont remember who I talked to or what I cooked
    Last edited by Asiablu; 08-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.

theguest688 is offline New Member

I've also been on both, having recently switched to generic when it became available earlier this year. Not too much of a difference as far as I could tell. Funny thing was, also tried Ambien CR 12.5 early in the year and it was like the most useless thing to me...got me drowsy and warm and almost happy feeling but never put me to sleep unless I chewed it open first. Needless to say, told the doc and was put back on the cheaper (and I guess for me more effective) regular release form.

EnoughPercs is offline Junior Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Asiablu View Post
    I have taken both, Ambien and Zolipidem I dont notice a difference..... James I laughed when I read your post, I do the same thing! I want to get on the computer and chat and then I want to cook wierd foods! LOL Half the time I dont remember who I talked to or what I cooked
    Same here; I just took one 50 minutes ago & it makes you think you're thinking clarity & straight when you're really on some tangent!
    Laughing with you guys as well

Seriously, though, I tend to get sore throat pains from Adderal / smoking & Ambien always seems to take that away?!?!
    weird!
    EnoughPercs

1st Clean Date: 3/26/07 - (Cold Turkey)
    2nd Clean Date: 9/1/07 - (Suboxone)

** Remember: Believing in a better you starts with believing in a higher purpose **

lisam6 is offline New Member

Default lisam6 generic ambien

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9494 View Post
    I also have been switch to zolpidem, and do not fall asleep as fast, also
    I don't stay asleep, I wake up in the early morning.
    Ambien I would stay asleep the whole night.

Lisa
    Last edited by lisam6; 08-30-2007 at 12:34 AM.

nj31flw is offline New Member

Default Same problem

Hi:
    I just started on the generic and have the same experience. Ambien put me out in 10 minutes, with the generic, I keep feeling like I'm going under but I just don't.

Rational Prescriber is offline New Member

Default info

Individual responses do vary, but I still believe generics are important as more costs are shifted to consumers.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-06-2011 at 12:42 AM.

FuschiaTulip is offline New Member

Lightbulb Ambien brand/generic & question lexapro vs celexa

Hello all! First Timer Here:

I have always taken ambien (not CR) for a sleeping aid throughout the years off and on. It has been the best. Recently, when I tried the generic, I noticed such a huge difference. I do know that generics ARE allowed a plus or minus rule of 5%, but now I had to wait until my 3 month time span ran out before asking my Doctor to put the word "Brand Only" on the prescription. Yes, it is costing me $80.00 co-pay for a 3 month supply, however, many insurance companies will not (unless the doctor specifically notes on the prescription that he wants you to have 90 tabs for the full 3 months, you will be given 60 tabs for 3 month and still have to pay the same co-pay. Some drugs are now starting to be placed in categories where the prescription written for a 3 month period of time will be priced out as so, but the new "maximums" for 3 months (for sure of ambien unless special permission given by your doc) is 60 tabs.

Question: I take 40 mg of lexapro a day. Has anyone ever switched from lexapro to celexa? I never tried celexa, but my insurance compamy is trying to push this on my doctor. Anyone with experiences out there?

norcoho is offline New Member

Default There is definitely a difference

In my own experiences, the generic form of Ambien does not work at all. I took Ambien for about 6 months in 2003 because I was having severe insomnia. It worked wonderfully. Then about 4 months ago, I asked my doctor for a small quantity Ambien because I was having occasional insomnia due to leg spasms and I knew that Ambien worked for me in the past. Well, the pharmacy gave me the generic and it did not work for me at all. In fact, it actually prevented me from falling asleep. This is just my personal experience with it.

mom2my3boys is offline New Member

Question

I strated taking Ambien 10mg in 1994 after a serious accident and would have nightterrors of my accident. It worked wonders for me then age 17. Took it for about a year and turned 18 and went off parents insurence and couldn't afford it on my own. Pain Management doc started me on Ambien CR 12.5mg nightly 1 1/2 years ago. Bless his heart!!! It worked wonders and I was always in a super mood for the 2 hours after I took it till I went to bed, it would give me crazy energy (that's when I did my daily house cleaning, lol) and then I would be out like a light! Very vivid dreams though 3-4 nights a week. Many of nights were a blur though the next day, and thats if I could even remember that much. Did and said some stupid things I would find out. Definately made me chatty, lol! Luckily my friends knew what was going on and would always bear with me when I made my 2am phone calls and texts, lol! Then after 14 mos of taking it it just up and quit working. I still get it at my monthly visits but can only take it every 3-4 days to benefit from it. Sometimes even then I take 1 1/2 pills to get to sleep. Yes I do know they are controlled release and should never be crushed or cut, but when you go days on end with no sleep you do what you have to do. My family physician suggested taking a benedryl along w/ the Ambien to make it work better, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Now for the generic difference. My Mom takes Ambien 10mg prn and the doc recently switched her to the Zolpidem and she notices a big difference. I have taken a few of them when our power was out and had to stay at her house and forgot my own. I felt absolutely horrible in the morning with a terrible hangover feeling. I don't know if it's because with the CR's they are continually being released through out the night and you come off of them more gradually and w/ the regulars it hits you all at once and it wears off all at once thus giving you the hangover effect/feeling??? With the CR's I will wake up bright and wearly feeling very refreshed but not with the regulars. Has anyone else experienced this?
    My previous doc told me I had to come monthly for my refills (which wasn't an issue as I had to for my percocet and ms contin anyways, I would have an actual appt every 2-3 mos and just phone in for refills and drive to pick them up in between) but my new pain management doc ( insurence company change which in turn had to change hospitals ) Just wrote me a Rx for Ambian CR 12.5 with 6 refills. I thought they couldn't do refills without a new monthly Rx??? Not that I'm complaining, but I still have to go monthly for the other paper Rx's that can't be called in.

missmelissamiss is offline New Member

Default ambien generic and Headache!

My insurance now, only pays for generic ambien. My first morning after taking the generic ambien I awoke to a major migraine! I thought maybe it was just a coincidence but every night since, when I take the generic ambien I awaken to a migraine!! This really sucks.

lfsilva is offline New Member

Unhappy zoldipem generic efficacy

I just recently got a prescription refill made by torr (for short) and they do not hardly touch me to even cause me feel drowsy. Some of the generic brands I have found do work well, but this one in particular does not work for me at all.
    I called the pharmacist and he said that no one else has complained of it, but that doesn't mean they may not have called their doctor and switched. I really don't know why this is, but has anyone else experienced this? It would be great to find out!
    Thanks~

Psychmajor is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catasteams View Post
    I have been using ambien for about 6 yrs, because of sleeping problems related to fibromyalgia. It has worked well for me and I did not have any weird side effects. 2 weeks ago, the pharmacy filled it with the generic zolpidem. I finally figured out that the recent trouble sleeping was due to the generic. It took me a long time to fall asleep and then I would wake up 4hrs later, tossing and turning the rest of the night. I finally figured out that it was the generic. My pharmacist gave me some real ambien and have slept again for the past two nights. TODAY, I got a letter from my insurance, stating that the generic is now going to be on their formulary and Ambien is going to cost me more. HELP, what can I do?? It is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you can actually have the doc contact your insurance and tell them that the genaric doesnt work and you MUST be on brand. not many people know you can do this but pharmacists tell people this every once in a while

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psychmajor View Post
    you can actually have the doc contact your insurance and tell them that the genaric doesnt work and you MUST be on brand. not many people know you can do this but pharmacists tell people this every once in a while
    Hi Phychmajor,
    I tried that awhile back but my insurance still wouldn't pay but, then there is a lot that they are not doing these days.I won't give up trying though!!
    Just to live life free as a bird

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

If I demand a non generic of anything, insurance charges me WAY more than the generic. This is the way our health system and insurance companies work. They wrack in the big bucks and we can't get what we really need. It sucks.

Tho
    Tho is offline New Member

generics and brands have the same active ingredients, and so they should work in the same way. the inactive ingredients, ie. pill shape, color, are what differentiates generics from brands.

if its not working though, you can always pay more for the brand or request authorization from the doctor (DW-1) to lower the co-pay

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tho View Post
    generics and brands have the same active ingredients, and so they should work in the same way. the inactive ingredients, ie. pill shape, color, are what differentiates generics from brands.

Not exactly true, generics are allowed to vary plus or minus 20%, which equates to a possible 40% difference from one brand to another.

godscase is offline New Member

Default Generic does not work

I now take the generic and I do not fall asleep as quickly and where I slept at least 6 hours before now I am lucky if I sleep 2 hours without waking up. Being on Medicare Drug Plan they only pay for generic.

jsbanks is offline New Member

Default Generic Ambien Fail

My new plan switched me to generic. Instead of being knocked out in 15 minutes I was awake 80 minutes. Instead of sleeping 8 uninterrupted hours I woke up in less than 6. It was not a fluke; I used one of the old, name-brand pills and difference was dramatic. I wonder if it is a matter of inaccurate dosage or simply flawed ingredients? Will pay extra for actual "Ambien" in future instead of generic zolpidem tartrate.
    Last edited by jsbanks; 02-01-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spacing, accuracy

tosmom is offline New Member

Question Ambien brands are very different looking for help

I have been taking Ambien for several years...shortly after the Ambien CR was prescribed to me and working just fine to keep me asleep; my insurance company said they would only pay for the generics so I tried them.
    The first brand, which I can not remember their name, worked ok to knock me out they were white in color... then my local pharmacy switched to another brand, which I guess was cheaper for them, they were made by Mylan and are purple in color and they too worked ok to knock me out (neither of these could keep me asleep for more than 6 hours but since I pay 600.00 a month for my "wonderful" BCBS insurance I can not afford the real Ambien CR so they are better than nothing) then my pharmacy switched to Torrent which are peach color and oblong...warning these do not work at all! They would not even get me to sleep. I found another pharmacy that would get the Mylan brand for me so at least I am sleeping some.
    Does anyone else have this experience and does anyone know how to get the Mylan brand via the mail. Or better yet get Ambien CR via the mail cheaper.
    If you go to Ambien website they are offering a savings on Ambien up to $100.00 which helps but they are still out of $$$ reach!
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

tosmom is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfsilva View Post
    I just recently got a prescription refill made by torr (for short) and they do not hardly touch me to even cause me feel drowsy. Some of the generic brands I have found do work well, but this one in particular does not work for me at all.
    I called the pharmacist and he said that no one else has complained of it, but that doesn't mean they may not have called their doctor and switched. I really don't know why this is, but has anyone else experienced this? It would be great to find out!
    Thanks~
    I just posted basically the same thing...I did not read yours earlier. Torrent does not work!
    Mylan does...however they will knock you out fairly quickly but you may only get 6hrs of sleep...which IS better than nothing. There where some white ones that I had tried a while back may have been North Star..they worked ok too.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Call around find out what the pharmacies in your area are dispensing, there are legitimate on-line pharmacies and they may work with you on filling with specific Mfr's, but like every business, they dispense what's most cost effective and has the highest profit margin, you're really better off using the smaller pharmacies who want your business, search out the mom and pop's, even the grocery stores, and its always best to go in and talk to them in person with a script in hand. If you're not satisfied with the Mfr, and check it out before you pay, refuse it, ask for your script back and go somewhere else, if everyone did this, they would be forced not to purchase from Torrent for example, and expect the ignorant pharm techs, clerks and pharmacists to tell you generics are all the same, you know better. You might want to give Watson a shot, they always make excellent drugs, almost no one complains about Watson, Idk about their Zolpidem though, but they seem to have high quality control standards.

stephanie38 is offline New Member

Thumbs down Generic Ambien vs. Brand Name

I've experienced the same reaction with the new generic for Ambien, Zolpidem. When I was taking Ambien before, it worked like a charm. Within ten minutes I was asleep. Then I learned that I was one of those people who did things in their sleep while under the influence of Ambien. In my case it was eating in my sleep. I once woke up with an empty angel food cake package that I had bought but not opened the same day.

My doctor then prescribed Trazadone 100mg. tablet with Temazepam 15mg. capsule. This worked but took about an hour to take effect - too slow.

When the Ambien generic came out, Zolpidem, my doctor prescribed it to see if it worked as Ambien did. It most definitely did not. I was awake for hours after taking it and very disappointed. This is the first time too that I've had this experience with a generic drug. I'm very disappointed.

I wonder if a lot of people are getting the same results.

kgirl55 is offline New Member

Default Re: 'Prasc' Generics R the Worst!

I am SO sick of insurance companies basically prescribing meds w/o a license! I was put on Zolpidem 10 mgs. made by 'Prasc'. These do not work at all. I am on a medicare drug program and they refuse to let me have the Ambien CR. And, those cost $150.00 for 30 days. I am a nurse and i don't understand why ins. co.'s R allowed to make me take what they think i should take. It is supposed to be against the law for anyone but, my Dr. to prescribe meds.!

Nonyuh is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kgirl55 View Post
    I am SO sick of insurance companies basically prescribing meds w/o a license! I was put on Zolpidem 10 mgs. made by 'Prasc'. These do not work at all. I am on a medicare drug program and they refuse to let me have the Ambien CR. And, those cost $150.00 for 30 days. I am a nurse and i don't understand why ins. co.'s R allowed to make me take what they think i should take. It is supposed to be against the law for anyone but, my Dr. to prescribe meds.!
    It's not a refusal to let you have them. It's that they don't pay for it because it's not on your formulary list. The ins isn't prescribing you anything they simply aren't paying for the CR one. If you want it so bad pay out of your pocket and get it. If you are on medicare the doctor probably has to submit a prior auth. Why would they pay for the way more expensive CR version (with no generic) when the cheaper regular (with generic) might do the trick. Otherwise like I said your MD will have to submit a prior auth explicitly stating that regular ambien didn't work.

Again the ins just simply isn't paying. It's not that they are forcing you to get anything. You have a rx for it so you can pay for it. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast