Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Effexor
    Miles is offline Member

Has anyone of you on meds for depression ever asked your prescribing physician why you were prescribed drugs that muddle your brain, when there is nothing wrong with your brain? Do not be duped by the medical community ("therapeutic state") into believing there is a biological basis for your depression. There is absolutely no research to support this myth being bantered about by so-called medical experts. Those of you who are suffering from side effects from such meds should challenge your prescribers - it is indeed an unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community. In the name of human rights, this doping of the population must stop now. Neuroleptic drugs (i.e., antipsychotics, tranquilizers, psychotropics) shorten life span, destroy sexual function and fertiltiy, take away one's sense of well-being, precipitate violent behavior, etc.

Pete is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Miles

Has anyone of you on meds for depression ever asked your prescribing physician why you were prescribed drugs that muddle your brain, when there is nothing wrong with your brain? Do not be duped by the medical community ("therapeutic state") into believing there is a biological basis for your depression. There is absolutely no research to support this myth being bantered about by so-called medical experts. Those of you who are suffering from side effects from such meds should challenge your prescribers - it is indeed an unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community. In the name of human rights, this doping of the population must stop now. Neuroleptic drugs (i.e., antipsychotics, tranquilizers, psychotropics) shorten life span, destroy sexual function and fertiltiy, take away one's sense of well-being, precipitate violent behavior, etc.

An interesting perspective indeed. I agree to a point that there is some controversy around the issue of 'anti-depressants' and whether or not they are worse or better for people. I could visualise images from the books 'Brave New World' and '1984' when I read your message, and indeed there is always going to be profit in medication.

I think we should be careful not to be too cynical though. I work in the psychology industry with people who often need medication for various psychological ailments like depression and in more severe cases of schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder for example. There is a need for these people to take medication, and often without them they would be a danger to themsleves or others.

As for anti-depressants, I am troubled by the idea that there is an 'an unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community'. It could scare people into NOT getting the right medication when they need it. This could be very dangerous. I am aware that not everyone is good and proper in their attitude towards medication and profit. We have seen many examples of profiteering, for example third world access to HIV drugs where they simply can't afford what they need. If the pharmaceutical industry was so 'caring', then why are these medications not available to millions at drastically reduced prices?

For sure, it is a hard and cruel world dictated by capitalist minds, but there are some very useful and efficient drugs on the market, and not everyone is bad. There are good doctors out there who DO care, and many many other health professionals who also care. Lets not tarnish them all with the same brush.

pete

ccapel is offline New Member

Thank you Pete, I have to wonder if Miles has ever struggled with the demons, sat through hours and hours of counseling, tried various chemical cocktails that make you feel crazier than when you started. Miles, have you ever been in a place so dark, with so many terrors, that you feel death must be a better than life.

For those of us who have, these drugs are truly miracles in their own right. Please don't judge those who need these drugs to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I find the irony of your post is that most of the people on this sight are both acknowledging the benefit of the drug(s) and also looking for ways to withdraw from it's use. I've tried to withdraw, and I have know doubt that the drug company is hiding the difficulty of that process (although they have admitted to some of the withdrawal side effects). But please understand Miles, that I know that without this drug and the positive effect it has had on my life, without question I would not be married, and I might have even given up on life itsself.

There is an old indian prayer (I am Cherokee)- "Grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his moccasins."

quote:Originally posted by Pete

quote:Originally posted by Miles

An interesting perspective indeed. I agree to a point that there is some controversy around the issue of 'anti-depressants' and whether or not they are worse or better for people. I could visualise images from the books 'Brave New World' and '1984' when I read your message, and indeed there is always going to be profit in medication.

I think we should be careful not to be too cynical though. I work in the psychology industry with people who often need medication for various psychological ailments like depression and in more severe cases of schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder for example. There is a need for these people to take medication, and often without them they would be a danger to themsleves or others.

As for anti-depressants, I am troubled by the idea that there is an 'an unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community'. It could scare people into NOT getting the right medication when they need it. This could be very dangerous. I am aware that not everyone is good and proper in their attitude towards medication and profit. We have seen many examples of profiteering, for example third world access to HIV drugs where they simply can't afford what they need. If the pharmaceutical industry was so 'caring', then why are these medications not available to millions at drastically reduced prices?

For sure, it is a hard and cruel world dictated by capitalist minds, but there are some very useful and efficient drugs on the market, and not everyone is bad. There are good doctors out there who DO care, and many many other health professionals who also care. Lets not tarnish them all with the same brush.

pete

Casey55 is offline Member

Miles,

I don't know what happened to you or who did you wrong, but you are so off in left field, I have to wonder how you got there. I assume you have either never suffered from such awful disorders or you have but have not found the right drug that you can take to help you. But there are just way too many people out there, living normal, better lives because of these medicines. Just because a medicine didn't work for me, many haven't, or had side effect I couldn't tolerate, doesn't mean I would say it is a terrible bad drug and should be taken off the market. Are you really serious?

Although they may not be able to prove exactly how or why psychiatric meds work, we do know that they do work and that there is definitely a biological/chemical connection. Some drugs may in fact, "muddle" as you put it, their brains. But that can happened as a side effect of some meds for some people and I hate to tell you but there are other drugs that do the same thing, but they serve a purpose and we aren't going to throw out the baby with the bath water. Consider chemotherapy for cancer patients. This can have extremely tough side effects, but the benefits can be life saving. We don't just get rid of drugs because they have side effects. And no one is forcing anyone to take these drugs.

Have you ever been in severe pain, had surgery, and taken a pain killer. I had two major back surgeries in the past year and I don't know how I would have gotten through it all without pain meds. Dilaudid, Fentanyl, Morphine, all narcotics and they knocked me out most of the time and I could't drive when I was on them, but that doesn't mean I wasn't going to take them. All drugs can, and most do, have many potential side effects. Peeople have to weigh the risk/benefit side effect for themselves. I have taken all kinds of medicines for all kinds of things, from Narcotics, to SSRI's, to antidepressants, to antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, antihistamines, antacids, etc., and depending on the medicine I have put up with different side effects like constipation, dry mouth, diarrhea, gas, blurred vision, sexual side effects, weight gain, sweating/hot flashes, sleep disturbances including bad dreams and insomnia, hair loss, menstrual irregularities, increased thirst, etc. but putting up with a few side effects was totally worth the benefits I got from taking the drugs. No one forced me to take any of the drugs I have taken over the years. I took them because they helped me get or feel better. Of course, not all meds work for all people, but if they work for some people, then they can benefit from them.

You said, >>> Neuroleptic drugs (i.e., antipsychotics, tranquilizers, psychotropics) shorten life span, destroy sexual function and fertiltiy, take away one's sense of well-being, precipitate violent behavior, etc.>>>

I have no idea where you got the information that these drugs shorten life span, I do not know that to be true with any of these drugs. If you have the study, I would like to see it. Sexual dysfunction is very common with SSRI's for instance, but many people in severe depressions are benefit greatly from these meds, many with OCD benefit from these meds. and being one of them myself, I can tell you, sex was the last thing on my mind. Loss of interest in sex can be a warning sign of depression. Also, there are several things that can be tried to help that symptom. Some meds cause anxiety and the patient may be willing to take an antianxiety with it because of the benefits they are getting from that drug.

I think everyone should look up the medicines they are consider taking, it is incredibly easy to do on the internet, or in books like the PDR and US-PDI. Drug interactions can be determined incase that would be a problem.

>>>unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community.>>>

This is such a gross over generalization. There is room for corruption in every profession, the medical profession is no exception. But of course the drug companies work with the medical community. So does the food industry work with store that sell their products. That is common sense.

>>>take away one's sense of well-being,>>>

And they can do just the exact opposite for many people, they can not only restore sense of well being, they can save peoples lives. I am one of them.

>>> precipitate violent behavior, >>>

If a medication were to cause such a side effect in someone, it would be common sense to stop it. But that same drug, may have great benefits for others without that kind of a side effect.

If you don't want to take drugs, that is totally your choice, no one is making you. If you don't like any of the side effects you get from any drug, you can stop taking it and possibly try another that won't have those side effects. I first tried Vicodan and Percocet for pain and both made me throw up. I switched to three other pain meds and had no such side effects.

Pete, I agree with you, these and so many other drugs are miracles for people in their own right and help many people to maintain normal, healthy lifestyles.

Many medications can cause withdrawal symptoms and no one, should ever go off a medication without talking to their doctor first (unless of course there is a medical emergency) and checking if that med can cause withdrawal and the dotor will instruct them how to safely, with as few withdrawal symptoms as possible, come off those drugs by reducing the dosage over an extended period of time. Just because a drug can have withdrawal symptoms, doesn't mean they are not beneficial to people while they are taking them.

>>>I have know doubt that the drug company is hiding the difficulty of that process >>>

I do not agree with you about that. There is no secret about withdrawal. The difficulty of withdrawal is pretty common knowledge and this kind of information is not hidden in anyway, it is out there for the taking.

Pete and I are just two examples of people on such medicines that have given us a normal life back. I hate to think where all of us would be without these meds, without all meds, we are so lucky they have been discovered and are available to help us for all sorts of things.

I know I am not alone in thanking God for these medicines.

Casey

tobecky63 is offline New Member

Hello all. My name is Becky and I'm a new member.
    I was looking over the Effexor XR information. There is not one thing on the medication panel of info that contains anything on taking it for Chronic Pain. It really boggles my mind that there is no info on this.
    I have tried over the years so many other meds. But they all messed up my Liver Functions BIG time. Effexor has been my saving grace. I have Migraines and Peripheral Neuropathy. Sure I do have some depression. But who wouldn't with chronic pain. This fabulous medication has enabled me to walk and not get the OMG's I need a gun to kill myself, becasue the pain in my head is way to much. In regards to the Migraines..
    I cannot take Migraine meds like others can. I have hypertension so the neurologist GOD bless her. She really doesn't want to stroke me out. Nice doc huh[8D]
    Anyhow in conclusion to all of this. I went to the most fabulous Comphrehensive Pain Rehabilitation Center in Rochester,Minnesota 4 years ago to learn how to deal with my Migraines without anything. They believe in the Eastern way of things back there. Well it worked they slowly got me off of Fentanyl 75mic's QD x's BID days and restored me from the bottom up. I needed to be retrained on how to live a normal life again. The Migraines that I had started in 99 one evening and they never went a way for 1 year. Everyday day 7 days a week 24 hours a day. I was 150 percent disabled.
    I now get them maybe 6 times a year and I do not take anything for them. Except time and lots of visualization. Breathing positive self talk and so on. Acupuncture tea's massage, exercise.
    The Effexor helps them to be not so acute when they visit for a short time thankfully
    Thank you all for being here. It really help me in not feeling alone.
    Your New Sister In The Jounrey With You- Becky[:I]

Miles is offline Member

Casey55, here is the link to the book where evidence is presented in support of the argument that neuroleptics shorten life spans: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...274385-4048646

You write, "Although they may not be able to prove exactly how or why psychiatric meds work, we do know that they do work and that there is definitely a biological/chemical connection." Sure psychiatric meds "work"... if I walk up to you and hit you up side your head with a baseball bat, that will "work" just as well. The neuroleptic drugs are chemical lobotomizing agents with no specific therapeutic effect on any symptoms or problems. Their main impact is to blunt and subdue the individual. they also physically paralyze the body, rendering the individual less able to react or to move. Thus they produce a chemical lobotomy and a chemical straitjacket. There is relatively little evidence that they are helpful to the patients themselves, while there is considerable evidence that psychosocial interventions are much better. The drugs are also the cause of a plague of brain damage that afflicts up to half or more of long-term patients.

Miles is offline Member

Casey55, sure all drugs have side effects. But those that are prescribed for true "diseases," are simultaneously working on the physical anomaly that is causing the disease/disorder. The same cannot be said for the neuroleptics - there is no anomaly for them to work on! They just lobotomize the user.

The unholy alliance between drug manufacturers and the medical community should not be minimized. FDA approval is not a guarantee of a drug's safety. In his book [u]With Justice for None</u>, lawyer Jerry Spence says "If we have learned anything from nearly a century of government regulation, it is that the administrative agencies of government are almost invariably captured by the industries they are created to regulate" (Penguin Books, 1989, page 205). Or as psychiatrist Peter Breggin says in his book [u]Brain Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry: Drugs, Electroshock, and the Role of the FDA </u>(Springer Publishing Co., 1997, p. 227): "When it comes to warning about the dangers of psychiatric drugs, the FDA is more responsive to the profit needs of industry than to the safety of patients."

Despite the harm caused by neuroleptic drugs...

* Psychiatrists not only continue to prescribe them for people but continue to force them on unwilling hospitalized patients.

* The FDA allows the drugs to stay on the market.

* State legislatures and Congress do nothing to protect people from these harmful drugs - and in the last few years 41 states have even enacted "outpatient commitment" laws the primary purpose of which is to force people to take them.

* Relatives of misbehaving or "mentally ill" people such as those in the National Alliance "for" the Mental Ill (NAMI) continue to encourage and even force people in their families to "take their medicine" even when the "medicine" is a harmful drug, and to lobby for legislation to force the drugs on ever larger numbers of people

Psychiatry, by focusing almost exclusively on biology, is making itself increasingly irrelevant.

Miles is offline Member

Ccapel, I am not judging the users, just the products and their pushers. I doubt these drugs are helping you "maintain a healthy lifestyle" though. Neuroleptic drugs block/destroy dopamine D2 receptors preventing their stimulation by the neurotransmitter dopamine.

There is also another problem with the neuroleptic drugs. Within the limbic system of the brain is an electrochemical cascade known as the "reward system," the system responsible for giving a person his/her sense of well-being. Disruption of this electrochemical neuronal cascade results in one's sense of well-being - the sense of well-being is supplanted with negative emotions such as anxiety, depression, anger and a generally negative outlook on life. This process is very self-destructive to the body and might result in premature death if one does not commit suicide first. Ironically, these drugs are prescribed to people to prevent suicide when in fact, they actually promote it.

1stPancake is offline New Member

Miles,

You wouldn't, by any chance, be a Scientologist? I'd be amazed if you're not, but surprised if you admit it. If you really aren't I think you'd find a better forum there for your way of communicating, i.e. relentlessly arguing your point and insulting the intelligence of anyone who disagrees.

Miles,

OH PLEASE, anyone who knows anything about Briggin knows he is anti everything and very bias, and you have to take him with a grain of salt. I didn't ask to read Briggins OPINIONS, I asked for the studies that prove what you reported that these meds can shorten life span. Where do I find those studies????

If you don't believe Mental Ilness is a "real" disease/disorder, why are you even here?
    Of all the absurd things you have said so far, that is about the most ABSURD of them all. I am afraid your comments and beliefs sound misguided and you really seem to be medically uneducated and ill informed.

Casey

Miles is offline Member

I am not a scientologist, nor do I intend to "insult the intelligence of anyone who disagrees" - if you are insulted, that's your problem.

Re: Psychiatric drugs killing you: if Breggin is too "anti-everything" for you, try this site: http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/psychkills.htm. Bottom line: Neuroleptics lower the body's rate of metabolism. Lowering metabolism by lowering the body's capacity to produce thyroxine shortens life span. That's science and not opinion.

Who's "medically uneducated and ill-informed" here? Abstract concepts form the core of all branches of human knowledge. No one has ever seen a quark, or untangled a chemical bond, or surfed an electromagnetic wave, or visited the unconscious. These are useful metaphors, theoretical entities with explanatory or descriptive power.

"Mental health disorders" are no different. They are shorthand for capturing the unsettling quiddity of "the Other". Useful as taxonomies, they are also tools of social coercion and conformity.

As Thomas Szasz posits, mental illness is a metaphor (metaphorical disease). The word "disease" denotes a demonstrable biological process that affects the bodies of living organisms (plants, animals, and humans). The term "mental illness" refers to the undesirable thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of persons. Classifying thoughts, feelings, and behaviors as diseases is a logical and semantic error, like classifying the whale as a fish.

miles,

The site you posted"

&gt;&gt;&gt;http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/psy...m.&gt;&gt;&gt;

does not come up. Is this a study you are giving us to look at. Can you find another way to let us read it?

Karen

Miles is offline Member

Karen, here is another link to the same article: http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/for...oforSchizophre

Here is another one you may wish to read as well: http://www.stopshrinks.org/reading_r...rten_life.html.

I would appreciate your thoughts once you have read them. Enjoy!

Miles

spaceyface is offline New Member

Hello, Im new to the board. Just reading everyone's stories...they sounds tremendously similar to mine. Effexor did everything it was supposed to when I started it...3 years later and still only on 75mg/day I have been reducing my intake to try to be "drug" free. I reduced by opening the capsules and taking out about 10 granules each day for about a month. I have now finished them all and I feel awful. In terms of anxiety and depression I am fine, but the withdrawal effects are off the chart, diarrhea, headaches, electrical jolts, strange sensations and so on....I was hoping someone who had gotten off of the medication could share how long these w/drawal effects last...I am trying not to lose hope and need some concrete time to look toward.

Calanen is offline New Member

Its interesting that Miles says 'taking anti-depressants shortens your life span' because of some whatever chemical. Well Miles, how much shorter do you think my lifespan would be, if I put a 12 gauge into my mouth and pulled the trigger? Thats exactly what I was gonna do, and it was only after I went on anti-depressants that I thought, hey, no need for that...... Unmedicated - it seemed to be absolutely the best option.

I am now coming off Effexor - and hell, no1 told me it would be this bad. The withdrawal symptoms have lasted like 2 weeks or so far, and are not abating yet. Benadryl helps the electric shocks to the brain some. But Im going through a lot of Benadryl. Whats worse is having to lie to the pharmacists about why I want it. Otherwise, they don't sell me the stuff. ie my cough keeps me up in the middle of the night....bleh.

Effexor should have reasonably prominent warning labels about the withdrawal symptoms - and it should also be labelled a drug of addiction, which it is.

But putting Miles and his anti-drug crusade to one side - normally this is pushed by people who have something to sell, whether philosophy or something else. Eg 'This mixture of sand, bat guano, and powdered dinosaur bones cures depression - the drug companies don't want you to know about it, because, they are making so much money by selling you drugs. But I have found an Ancient Himalayan Tibetan Monk's remedy that was clutched in the hand of a 4000 year old mummy on a mountain range in Nepal. My secret recipe was stolen from me by the secret agency called Drug Profits Maintenance Agency ( a secret govt agency that I bet you are naive enough into thinking does not even exist!!! ) But fortunately, I kept a copy, and made my elixir. 100s of 1000s of people are using my product, and leading healthy productive lives. Don't believe the lies the drug companies are telling you! Use my ancient elixir, and cure your depression!' I am currently on the run from the DPM but - I am still able to get u the elixir through some of my supporters! Don't delay! Order today!' (Only 29.95 for a 1 month supply,

Miles is offline Member

Here's what I am trying to sell Calanen... freedom from the medicalization of problems in daily living. Any neuroleptic will effectively lobotomize the user. Warning labels are necessary but not sufficient. Stay informed. Do not trust the therapeutic state. Fight the medicalization of daily living - assume some personal responsibility and seek alternatives to drug therapy.

Regards,
    Miles

martyjones is offline New Member

I'm taking Effexor-XR (37.5mg once a day) and was recently prescribed Tramadol for migraines. Has anyone had any bad reactions when taking these two meds together? I haven't had a migraine yet so I just wanted to know what to look out for. Thank you!

hey marty,

That is a good question, one we all should ask whenever we are going to start a new med and are already on another one. There are good drugs sites online where you can look them up. Also look up possible side effects and special warnings about the drug. Here is what one I use a lot says about contraindications for effexor.

Good luck, hope it works for you,
    Karen

-Possible food and drug interactions when taking this medication.

Combining Effexor with MAO inhibitors could cause a fatal reaction. (See "Most important fact about this drug.")

Although Effexor does not interact with alcohol, the manufacturer recommends avoiding alcohol while taking this medication.

If you have high blood pressure or liver disease, or are elderly, check with your doctor before combining Effexor with cimetidine (Tagamet).

Effexor does not interact with Lithium or Valium. However, you should consult your doctor before combining Effexor with other drugs that affect the central nervous system, including narcotic painkillers, sleep aids, tranquilizers, antipsychotic medicines such as Haldol, and other antidepressants such as Tofranil.

Effexor has been found to reduce blood levels of the HIV drug Crixivan. It's best to check with your doctor before combining Effexor with any other drug or herbal product.

-Special warnings about this medication.

Your doctor will prescribe Effexor with caution if you have high blood pressure, heart, liver, or kidney disease or a history of seizures or mania (extreme agitation or excitability). You should discuss all of your medical problems with your doctor before taking Effexor.

Effexor sometimes causes an increase in blood pressure. If this happens, your doctor may need to reduce your dose or discontinue the drug.

Effexor also tends to increase the heart rate, especially at higher doses. Use Effexor with caution if you've recently had a heart attack, suffer from heart failure, or have an overactive thyroid gland.

Antidepressants such as Effexor may cause fluid retention, especially if you are an older adult.

Effexor may cause you to feel drowsy or less alert and may affect your judgment. Therefore, avoid driving or operating dangerous machinery or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you.

Your doctor will check you regularly if you have glaucoma (high pressure in the eye), or you are at risk of developing it.

If you have ever been addicted to drugs, tell your doctor before you start taking Effexor.

If you develop a skin rash or hives while taking Effexor, notify your doctor. Effexor may also cause bleeding or bruising of the skin.

Do not stop taking the drug without consulting your doctor. If you stop suddenly, you may have withdrawal symptoms, even though this drug does not seem to be habit-forming. Your doctor will have you taper off gradually.

The safety and effectiveness of Effexor have not been established in children under 18 years of age.

Anonymous Guest

Hi all,
    i have been on effexor 150mg for the last 4 years and i am quitting cold turkey. i am in bed and cannot lift my head. can anyone tell me how long these terrible feelings last.I have quit for the last 2 1/2 days. Im scared of the things i am feeling now.

Angie is offline New Member

Wow, am I ever glad I ran across this forum. You have all helped me understand alot of what is happening to me. I have been on Effexor about 1 year. Last Thursday I went to the doctor and felt it was no longer helping me. I was tired all the time, no enthusiasm, just wanted to stay home. Dr changed me to Welbutrin which I had taken before. Welbutrin worked well for most things, did not help the weeping spells. I have also been on Ritalin for 29 years for chronic depression. After a horrible tragedy Ritalin was not enough. Anyway, I did not think I would need to taper off Effexor since I was going right on Welbutrin. Well, 6 days later, I am beginning to change my mind. I am not sleeping, I am crying if soneone even looks like they are going to say something NICE to me, I am dizzy, I can't remember what I did yesterday, etc. (I thought this was a new thread when I checked in today, wasn't until after I read the whole 4 pages again that I started remembering.) Is this withdrawal?
    I feel responsible for this, meaning I don't blame my doctor. I went to him and said the pills weren't working, I wanted to try Welbutrin. He has been helping me for 30 years, he knows I study things, so he probably felt it was a legitimete request. And I think so too, since I have learned more about the Effexor after I found this site.
    I am feeling better as far as not being tired all the time, but now I have to take something to help me sleep (I alternate Xanax and Melatonin) I have managed to go to work each day, today at 4 a.m. I'm the boss so no one questions my strange behaviour, at least not to me.
    Did I make sense with all this. I really tried not to make it lengthy but I wanted to provide enough information.
    Any comments are truly appreciated. I really want to know if I need to do something different or just wait it out.

Angie

Anonymous Guest

Hi Angie,
    Can I ask you how much EFFEXOR you were taking? And also have you managed to go to work since coming off? You must have the stamina of a bull. Im a 120kg Australian male and i have been off EFFEXOR for 3 days it has put me flat on my back. I just cant feel my symptoms getting better. And these "Brain Zaps" are driving me mad!!!. Be well angie,we are all going thru hell!!

Oohdannyboy

Oohdannyboy, Yes, I have been working. I was taking Effexor 75 at night. I took my last one Wednesday night and started on the Welbutrin 300 Friday morning. Saturday 6 of us left for the week end, a formal ball on Saturday night, >>>>>>>> and too much drinking. I did ok except for the emotional part. Monday is when I noticed I felt lousy and it got worse. I had no choice but go to work. I noticed right off I felt better mentally as far as focusing on my work. I finished projects that I have just stacked up for weeks, I could not concentrate on what to do with them. Yesterday, Wednesday was my worse day. I came to work at 4 a.m. because I couldn't sleep and I stayed until 4 p.m.
    I am an elected county official. I have worked here 29 years, been elected for 6 years. I noticed I was having problems concentrating, remembering, just doing my job. That was when I decided it must be the Effexor. I had not read all the side effects, I just knew I was not performing for the last year with the interest I had before. I was becoming very withdrawn. I am happily married to a retired, very social, active man, financially ok, in good health (doctor says I'll live to be 105) so why do I feel so down? I have been on Ritalin for 29 years. Maybe that helped with the withdrawal from Effexor, sounds like mine is so much easier than yours. Bad enough, but, I still could function. It's been 1 week. Today I actually feel pretty good, shakey, slightly dizzy, alittle nauseous. I can deal with that just knowing I am already functioning better mentally.
    Learning all I have from reading this board has helped me so much. I was getting scared that I was going downhill and would never get back to being 'me'. Sharing feelings and experiences has sure given me the help I needed to understand and say, yea, I can do this!
    Thanks for responding and I hope you feel better soon.
    Angie

Almost forgot, Oohdannyboy, I don't know about size versus effects. I am a 57 year old, 125 pound female. Maybe I have built up resistance because I have taken anti depressants for so many years.
    I hope you have a better day. I will be thinking of you today.
    Angie

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Angie,
    I feel alot better after reading your post. I feel probably 20% better than yesterday.People on other boards have said to get Benadryl for the "Brain Zaps" so there is no harm in trying i suppose. I to have a party to go to this Saturday and I'm damned if this horrible drug is going to stop me from going. "Brain Zaps or no "BrainZaps". Im looking forward to experiencing what you and many others have said about the renewed Clarity and Direction, because i really felt that Effexor stiffles that somewhat. Your low's aren't as low BUT your high's aren't as high. Well its Day 5 now and its the weekend tommorow (in Australia)and this damn drug is not stopping me anymore. Hopefully a few Cold Beers at this party should not have to much of an adverse effect on me.
    Thanks so much again angie. Im happy you are getting better.
    [xx(]
    Oohdannyboy :-)

Anonymous Guest

Bouncy little song about drug side effects they won't tell you about

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/26630/

This is a great little song to cheer us all up!!

Anonymous Guest

Hi all,

As posted previously i was on 150mg per day last Monday I went Cold Turkey. It really goes without saying that the experience is right up there with death itself.Its now Monday (in Australia) 7days later and im begining to feel like my old self.I still have a few brain zaps but they are definatley bearable.

Here is the Tip : Benadryl, Benadryl, Benadryl.(lots of people on different blogs around the net recommended it ) Yes you will feel a bit groggy but it shoots the Brain Zaps down in a blaze of glory!!!!

Just drink the stuff when you need it.I really think it would be hard to OD on it, So i just drink as required (as i feel the Brain zaps coming back)

It was also effective for me to take Omega 3 (fish oil pills) and Vitamin B tablets. they perk you up alot. But trust me on the BENADRYL.

One last thing is while your reading this you probably feel like **** warmed up,but there are so many other people around the world coming off this drug that feel the same as you. Just focus on a point next week of when you want to be better by. Thinking of all of you suffering.

Oohdannyboy

mjh74 is offline New Member

Hi all,

After reading about the nightmares of effexor, I'm really wanting to come off it as a matter of urgency.
    Some years back I took cipramil for about 2 and a half years for depression, this was after trying dothiepin (tricyclic) and moclobemide (MAOI), it was brilliant for me and when the time was right I withdrew (the 3rd attempt) VERY slowly and felt great for a almost a year (up until last November). I was having a tough time at work, had a panic attack which caused me a choking/wretching feeling and from then on have been concentrating on my throat in fear of it happening again, it has been driving me insane.

I went to see my GP and told him what had happened and my "new fear" and he prescribed me Propranolol (80mg/day). This helped but I was still in an anxious state thinking about my throat and fearing another panic attack. I went back to see my GP and he started me back on Cipramil (20mg) with the propranolol. I questioned him as to starting on such a high dose of Cipramil as I'd previously started it at 10mg with the aid of 6mg of valium/day. He assured me all would be ok and I went off and started my Cipramil. Within a few days I was having intense tingles all over and severe shocks to the head, chills etc and felt like I was dying. I went straight back to see him and he told me to halve the dose of cipramil to 10mg, carry on with 80mg/day of propranolol and gave me valium (2mg, 3 times/day). I started to feel a bit better but as the propranolol started to wear off before taking the next dose in the day, I'd feel intense panic so I stopped these and kept on with the Cipramil and valium. After such bad feelings from this pill concotion I was concentrating on my throat fear even more now, my throat never feels comfortable and I'm always worried about wretching/choking. I went back to see my GP after 1 month overall of taking Cipramil. He told me to stop it dead for 2 days and gave me effexor to start straight away at 75mg/day (37.5mg in the morning and night). I've been on it for a week now and I feel absolutely awful. On the 3rd and 4th day I was feeling complete and utter fatigue, 5th day I thought the anxiety was better and felt "ok", today is my 7th day and I feel awful. I have the worst anxiety I've ever had and I just feel petrified. I REALLY want to come off this drug before it really takes hold. I'm sure some of my feelings this week are some of the withdrawal from the Cipramil crossed with feelings from effexor taking hold.

Should I taper the effexor off even though I've only been on 75mg for 7 days or will I be safe in stopping them dead?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

dannyboy,

Help me understand why you would choose to go off the effexor cold turkey and put yourself through all that suffering? I am clueless.

Casey

Loveliness is offline New Member

Hi, this is my first post on a busy subject!

I've been on Effexor (Modified Release) for about a year now and for me was hugely better than Cipramil (constantly tired, miserable and angry). The posts are fascinating reading as my experience with this drug has been mixed too.

I'm really grateful that I've got a sympathetic boss and a good doctor as I would have lost my job and been at the bottom of a river without them.

I wish I could say something to help those of you who've had a bad experience with Effexor particularly regarding withdrawal. All that I can advise is really simple stuff which I know is going to sound like I'm teaching your Granny to suck eggs but here goes!

The posts re tapering off I couldn't agree with more. I started taking on every other day for about four to six weeks, then one every two days for four weeks, then one every three days (which is what I'm doing now)and it works for me. Further I've found a direct link between caffeine, sugar and nicotine. Besides improving my waistline and pleasing my dentist and my general health, cutting out these has DRASTICALLY reduced the dizziness and spaced out symptoms on withdrawal.

At the risk of sounding even more like your mother you also can't beat serious regular exercise - it must be something to do with endorphins - but an exercise video, dancing, gardening or running (or all four!) has really helped too.

Finally and this is quite wierd and I just don't know how to explain this one, I felt significantly better on withdrawal when following the Hay Diet (separating starches from protein) and eating shed loads of raw fruit and vegetables. I can't say this will help everyone as like Effexor it seems to react in people's brains in different ways but the result for me was astounding.

I'm still not off the Effexor completely but my mood has shot up and my boss and friends have remarked on how much better I'm behaving, looking and I'm just nicer to be around. What's more I've found that keeping to this diet and lifestyle I'm able to lengthen the time between taking the drugs and the withdrawal symptoms are not nearly so bad so quickly! If that makes sense?

If any of you find this helpful I'll be really pleased and if you don't well, at least your dental bills will drop. You'll be in my thoughts (and yes, I know, that doesn't really help).

I'll post again with an update as I'm envisaging this will take until summer. Good luck to you all. [:X]

NeedAdvice is offline New Member

Question for "oohdannyboy" or anyone else who has advice...

My friend is going through severe effexor withdrawls. His doctor is no longer helping him ween off (long story) so he is trying to do it himself. 6 days ago was his last dose of about 37.5 mg. He had been on it for about a year now. His brain zaps are so severe that it is hard for him to focus during the day.

I noticed you mentioned using benydryl... how often did you take it and did it help with the brain zaps?
    How long did it take for all of the drug to be out of your system where you didnt have these brain zaps anymore?

He refused to taper anymore and insists on doing it cold turkey. There is no way for me to change his mind so i wanted to see what he could use to reduce his symptoms. He mainly has a lot of hair loss and terrible Brain Zaps.

Thank for any help you can provide

-------------- original message ----------
    [quote]Originally posted by oohdannyboy
    Here is the Tip : Benadryl, Benadryl, Benadryl.(lots of people on different blogs around the net recommended it ) Yes you will feel a bit groggy but it shoots the Brain Zaps down in a blaze of glory!!!!

It was also effective for me to take Omega 3 (fish oil pills) and Vitamin B tablets. they perk you up alot. But trust me on the BENADRYL.

--------------

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast