Cymbalta for Pain Relief? Does it Work?
    PoppyQueen is offline Member

Default Cymbalta for Pain Relief? Does it Work?

Hey all, I've been a lifetime abuser of pain narcotics. I am currently detoxing with Suboxone. Suboxone is supposed to help with pain but it's not doing much for mine. Doc. just took me off of Effexor and prescribed Cymbolta to help block pain receptors in my noodle from registering pain. Anyone have success with this approach? By the way, those pain pills I used to take did work. I am now taking Aleve, Advil, and Tramadol, but none are really working like the old Vics used to. What's a gal in pain to do?

PQ

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

The docs added Cymbalta for me as well, 30mgs twice a day, and it didn't do a danged thing! I did get some relief with Neurontin, but nothing at all from the Cymbalta, and ended up adding Oxy.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

pain on pain is offline New Member

I took Cymbalta for the pain I have from fibro and it did nothing for me. Didn't block any pain receptors in my brain. The only thing I have found to just take the edge off my pain is Percocet 5/325. I hope it has worked for you! Pain is a horrible thing to deal with especially when you feel like nobody in your world believes that you could have so much pain.

abey042000 is offline Member

Isnt it aweful when most doc's think it all in ur head, why is that?..beings u've taken narcs before, ur gonna be looking for the same time of effect and relief with this new drug that u did with the others.....you wont. and of all the research I've done on depression, I never once seen anyhting about pain being linked to depression. Although my theory is yeah ur gonna be depressed if ur in alot of pain.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I have been on Cymbalta for about 7 or 8 months now, and nothing! Never got a smidge of relief until they finally gave me Oxy.

If you are in that much pain, and they won't believe you, then you need to see a different doc! That is ridiculous. There could be many underlying conditions causing it, and by brushing it off as depression, they could miss something dangerous, or degenerative, or both.

Not everyone has a perfectly obvious condition that you can just see when you look at them. Mine is in my spine, so even if someone sees the slight visible curve, it doesn't look severe, like I should be miserable, and have trouble walking, and functioning.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Leopard215 is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta success!

I have pain in my arm due to severe nerve damage from 23 yrs ago. The frequency and intensity had progressed so much that I sought medical help 6 yrs ago and began taking vicodin which progressed to percocet, oxycodone, oxycontin, morphine sulphate, and on a few trips to the ER, large amounts of morphine & delodid.

The amounts of these narcotics necessary to successfully relieve me from the worst episodes of pain had become truly staggering!

Meanwhile, we tried such treatments as neurontin, carbamazapine, amatriptaline, and a couple others I can’t think of right now. No relief or change of any kind resulted from any of them other than bothersome side-affects.
    Several months ago I began taking 30mg of cymbalta daily. I have been absent of any significant episodes ever since! Cymbalta has changed my life! Unfortunately there are side-affects…I struggle to wake up fully in the morning, and occasionally, even frequently I experience light-headedness. When you weigh these side-affects against frequent, debilitating pain, there is no question about it. I’m delighted to make the trade!
    I can truly understand & sympathize with those searching for relief of debilitating pain. Especially when your doctors, who never had to deal with the experience of pain so intense that it makes you question the value of continuing to live, stops listening to you. But you really have no choice. Seek out alternatives to narcotic pain meds. Their effectiveness decreases as your body builds tolerance. Then you’re left with two problems: pain, and physical dependence on meds that used to work but just don’t have the same positive effect they used to have. There’s nothing like the experience of withdrawal from opioids on top of chronic, mind-numbing pain. You’ll lose your sanity! However, they can buy you enough time to find a successful treatment that won't create the additional problem. There is a treatment out there that will work for you. Mine was cymbalta.
    Last edited by Leopard215; 05-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.

JEP-IPMFOSIS is offline New Member

Thumbs down Cymbalta, no thanks

When I first started in pain management my Doc had me try Cymbalta, but it didn't do anything for my pain. I am currently on 200mg MSContin (Morphine Sulphate) four times a day. That seems to do the job, and has for the last year or so.

sasquatch69 is offline Junior Member

It's scandalous that the company that makes Cymbalta is getting away with advertising that it helps "pain associated with depression". What a bunch of hooey!
    The Cymbalta manufacturers have successfully invented a new depression symptom to sell more drugs, and to make their drug stand out from the myriad of other SSRI's and SNRI's.

Cymbalta is simply an SNRI. It inhibits the reuptake of seratonin and norepinephrine, and that is all it does. It does not have any direct action on pain.
    I would understand the advertising claim if they combined it with aspirin or something... but they don't.
    It's true that depression can cause physical lethargy, and physical lethargy can cause muscle cramping and soreness.
    But to say Cymbalta helps pain is like saying that tylenol can cure depression.

somebodyhealme is offline New Member

I was eager to try Cymbalta because I thought it would be great to find one drug that could help with my pain and depression. Unfortunately it didn't help my pain at all and my depression became much more severe while I was on it.

I went off it after a few months and switched back to Lexapro. It doesn't help with my pain, but at least it stands up well to the depression. I don't know who is having success using Cymbalta for pain, but I certainly didn't.

tommyboy5 is offline New Member

damn i bet youre constipated like hell???? >> be in the bathroom screaming my head off.. no offense but damn that is a big dose. how is youre breathing at night??

bigjon30 is offline New Member

yea that is a nice dose but as far cymbalta helping with the pain i didnt get anything off of it just made me feel out of my mind crazy as hell but thats bout it

maryxbot is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyQueen View Post
    Hey all, I've been a lifetime abuser of pain narcotics. I am currently detoxing with Suboxone. Suboxone is supposed to help with pain but it's not doing much for mine. Doc. just took me off of Effexor and prescribed Cymbolta to help block pain receptors in my noodle from registering pain. Anyone have success with this approach? By the way, those pain pills I used to take did work. I am now taking Aleve, Advil, and Tramadol, but none are really working like the old Vics used to. What's a gal in pain to do?

PQ
    Hey! Ive had excruciating pain and have been off and on of vicodin and muscle relaxers, but it wouldnt even touch the pain. I was in tears with frustration, so I gave cymbalta a chance and I am never in pain anymore! I am the kind of person now that i dont want to take anything anymore, but its soo amazing and truly got me out of the dumps!

ASemmig is offline New Member

I was happy to see a more recent comment on this board! I was prescribed Cymbalta for depression, at the initial dose of 30mg, my depression was gone, it did not touch the pain I experience every day, as you all know. I went up to 60mg, still wonderful controlling my depression and aggression, but no pain relief. My psychiatrist wanted to refer me to pain management, and I told him HELL NO, I am not ready for paid drugs. He then increased the dose to 120mg per day, and it is like night and day!!! Within 2 days my life changed dramatically. I would say the higher dose of Cymbalta relieves about 80% of my pain, when I add Tramadol, I am probably at about 90% pain relief. This is a miracle to me because I refuse to take narcotic pain medication at 50 yrs of age. When I get older, and this regimen does not work, I want to be able to use narcotic medication, without being immune to it. Please ask for a higher dose of Cymbalta before you give up!! Best wishes!

manvish434 is offline Banned

Hey all, I've been a lifetime abuser of pain narcotics. I am currently detoxing with Suboxone. Suboxone is supposed to help with pain but it's not doing much for mine. Doc. just took me off of Effexor and prescribed Cymbolta to help block pain receptors in my noodle from registering pain. Anyone have success with this approach? By the way, those pain pills

Anonymous Guest

Hmmmm, ok cymb does help with pain but it is hell to get off...I'm off now but I wish I had researched it before going on it....it wasn't worth it to me.....my opinion only.
    Good luck!

hismanjesty is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryxbot View Post
    Hey! Ive had excruciating pain and have been off and on of vicodin and muscle relaxers, but it wouldnt even touch the pain. I was in tears with frustration, so I gave cymbalta a chance and I am never in pain anymore! I am the kind of person now that i dont want to take anything anymore, but its soo amazing and truly got me out of the dumps!
    For those of you who have had success with Cymbalta for pain relief, how long did it take for it to start helping? I have been on it for two weeks and my pain symptoms are slightly exaggerated so far. I get headaches more frequently and I had to start taking it at night due to some rather intense nausea about 2 hours after taking it. I'm on 60mg a day after taking 30mg a day for the first week.