Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Cymbalta
    kurlique is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta

Cymbalta
    Generic Name: duloxetine
    Treatment for: Depression

Have you taken or do you take Cymbalta?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information available at:
    http://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

Professional Information available at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/cymbalta.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 12:08 AM.

sms
    sms is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by kurlique

After a very severe depressive episode I have recently been switched to Cymbalta as my antidepressent. Since it is so new I haven't been able to gather much information about it except what Eli Lily has put out. Has anyone out there had any experience with this drug? I would love to hear from you. Thanks for your help.

2Bcrazed is offline New Member

I tried it. The first dose made me feel like I was in heaven! I was high and felt wonderful! First dose! I thought I had found my miracle drug! (I have been on about everything out there.) but it turned on me on the 2nd dose and I made the 3rd dose my last. I was so tired that I could barely get out of the bed.

However, that being said, I have found in the last year and I cannot take SSRI's. I used to and took them for years. Now they make me extremely tired and they make my blood sugar crash. Really odd.

gregr88 is offline New Member

Have taken it for two months. Same thing after the first week it was great, then not so good, when the doctor took my dose up a notch, it made me extrodinarily sleepy. Tried to remedy that with Provigil first and Cencerta next. both on small doses had no affect at all, on higher doses gave me migranes. I am now weening off the cymbalta and trying the other two again

misery01 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by kurlique

Cymbalta

Consumer Information at
    http://cymbalta.drugs.com/
    After a very severe depressive episode I have recently been switched to Cymbalta as my antidepressent. Since it is so new I haven't been able to gather much information about it except what Eli Lily has put out. Has anyone out there had any experience with this drug? I would love to hear from you. Thanks for your help.

pwcclient32 is offline New Member

I have taken cymbalta since October or November of 2004. My psychiatrist wants me to take it, my FNP does not want me to take it. I have gone off the meds, but after not taking the meds for about 3 weeks, I had a really bad withdrawl headache and zaps today and can't get them to go away. does anyone know how long it takes to compeltely get off cymbalta and what vitamins help this withdrawl process? Thanks. Let me know how I can help you, I've been in this mess for four or five years now.

dianec is offline New Member

I have been one Cymbalta for about two months now and it seems to be helping me nas much if not more than any of the others I have tried. I have a lot of nerve pain and it is also suppose to help that also,

dianec

Diane Thompson

Abig10q is offline New Member

Here are some things I noticed that may (or may not) be related to taking Cymbalta.
    The nausea when I started taking it was more intense than I expected. I was actually surprised that I was able to keep from vomiting the first few days, which is good beyond the usual reasons, because I had not been informed of what to do as far as taking more or skipping it until the next days dose if I threw it up.
    The first few weeks, I’d say that either it’s emotional healing effects hadn’t kicked in or if they did, they effected my so slightly as to be unnoticeable. However, I slowly began to notice that I was shaking more than I had after being on the Paxil and after weaning from that but before being on the Cymbalta. I also noticed during my first week on Cymbalta, that this drug had a very positive effect on the chronic pain I experience in my knees as I go up or down stairs, sit or rise from a sitting position. At one time, I had been given Vioxx to treat the apparent arthritis in my back (tests to confirm that arthritis was actually my condition were never performed) and I believe that the pain in my knees is also from arthritis (again, no tests were ever performed to confirm this). It is my opinion that Cymbalta worked on this type of pain- for me at least, FAR more effectively than the Vioxx ever did. For that reason alone, I remained on it for what I guess was around 2 months. BUT…I found during that couple of months that in addition to feeling a bit more anxious and shaky, I was crying longer and more often over upsetting things that were going on in my life, rather than less often and for less time, than I did on Paxil. I am not entirely sure if I’d say I cried more than I did after I went off the Paxil throughout most of the 2 months that I took Cymbalta, but certainly by the end of that period I noticed I was indeed a lot more weepy than I had been when I first started taking it. I was also thinking about dying more frequently at this point and realized that I had better start to wean off of this stuff or it might just give me that added push into a pine box. I could be wrong, but I think Cymbalta also made my blood pressure rise. I seemed to have less of an appetite when I first started (of course that may have just been the nausea) but once I got past the nausea, I found my appetite was pretty odd- barely wanting more than a couple of good size snacks one day and majorly pigging out the next. I don’t know if it was related to the increased sobbing, but I also experienced a few days of diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously as the intensity of my emotional upset worsened. Another thing I noticed was that I was having more trouble falling asleep as normal by the end of the 2 months I was on Cymbalta. Yet, I would suddenly get extremely sleepy in the middle of the day (5 to 8 hours after waking) and end up napping for anywhere from 3 to 6 hours when that sudden and powerful drowsiness hit, and then not be able to sleep at night until dawn. Within the first week after I began weaning off the Cymbalta, I was noticeably less tearful, less suicidal, but still experiencing the same amount of shakiness and still having trouble staying awake throughout my day and falling asleep at night. In fact, I found I wasn’t able to fall asleep until a couple of hours later each morning, thus effectively turning my normal sleep schedule a full 180 degrees, so that I was waking when the rest of the world was having dinner by the time I was 1 week past when I first began weaning. Also at 1 week after I began weaning, I was handling stressful situations with just a tiny bit less emotional upset, and my knees were still feeling pretty good. I experienced a couple of huge headaches during the week I started weaning from the Cymbalta, but I also got my period almost a week early (as I have nearly each month since this depression began…7 months ago) so I don’t know if these were actually weaning related.
    It should be noted that I have learned from the internet things about taking this drug that my doctor did not specify for me, among them, that it must be taken with water, that it was FDA approved only for 9 weeks of use (guess I quit it just in time!) that it might cause an interaction or bleeding when taken with some of my usual over the counter drugs (aspirin, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, cough syrup) and that I should have spoken to a pharmacist before reaching for any of these.

Sarah31 is offline New Member

I started CYMBALTA five days ago and noticed a difference right away. I was on Paxil for quite some time and gained a lot of weight from it. I felt like I couldn't get full and was craving stuff all the time. Thank God that I got off Paxil....Baw!! Yuck. So, I am on the lowest amount of milligrams for Cymbalta- 20mg. I noticed a tiny little bit of nausea at first and some small hot flashes but that was it for any negative side effects. I have lost a lot of my appetite now, which is good and my pants are lose, so maybe I'll lose some of that Paxil weight.

Cymbalta hits two neurotransmitters and it is supposed to be a first in its class drug. Supposedly the major neurotransmitters in depression are serotonin and norepinephrine. So, instead of an SSRI, I think this is called an SSNI...or something like that. Anyways, Cymbalta is good for major depression (I think) and is also approved for painful side effects that go along with depression. I have had neck and upper back (muscle pain) for a long time and this Cymbalta really seems to help it. I can't feel much pain at all actually...probably because it is stress related. But it helps the stress too, I can sleep better. I feel normal and can focus much more, and I've only been on it for five days. I've just started reading up about Cymbalta, so I'm not that knowledgable about it. But,so far it has been working for me, and I'll keep people posted.

Cheers!

Update: July 24, 2005

~Well I'm still here and doing fine. I've been on Cymbalta for a couple months now and still going strong. I did notice another cool thing about this drug is that I have my sex drive back. Yea! Actually, I feel great. I sound like a walking advertisement!! Anyways, weight is still coming off because not many cravings happening.

jaccou3 is offline New Member

I've only been on cymbalta for a few days, I do feel I've been sleeping better and been eating less, only about once a day around dinner time. I had been om Lexapro and several other meds. Over the past several years I had gained much weight due to meds. I believe, and I'm hoping now with this new Cymbalta I can take off some of this dreadful weight. Please keep me posted of any new experiences you may have with this, since I am so new to this. Thank You.

dutchman is offline Junior Member

My brother took that and had symptoms like headache and blurred vision. But after 2 weeks of use, most of those side effects disappeared.

spur is offline New Member

I took two doeses of this stuff and the second dose made me sick as a dog for like 2 days....threw up and the squirts like a race horse....should I keep taking it? IM scared to death to take it. I have taking tons of meds in my life, I currently am on 240 vicodin a month, just stopped Effexor, I take Adderall 20 mg and Ambiean for sleep. Im disappointed, the Cymbalta is suppose to be a great drug.

Sarah31 is offline New Member

quote:
    I took two doeses of this stuff and the second dose made me sick as a dog for like 2 days....threw up and the squirts like a race horse....should I keep taking it? IM scared to death to take it. I have taking tons of meds in my life, I currently am on 240 vicodin a month, just stopped Effexor, I take Adderall 20 mg and Ambiean for sleep. Im disappointed, the Cymbalta is suppose to be a great drug.
    Well spur,
    I guess I'd have to say with all the medication you are taking...it is likely you would blame the squirts on anything that you put in your body. You said 240 vicodin a month? Uh...........I'm suprised you feel anything at all. You are not a true testimony for this drug at all, so we should just throw your post on out the window along with all those pills you are taking. I think anyone would agree with that. [xx(]

KK30514 is offline New Member

I have taken Cymbalta for 6 months now. I think that it works well (when I am awake) I have found that while taking 60mg I would sleep for 10-12 hours. Now he upped the dosage to 60 x2 daily (because I said I was sleeping way too much, and he thought that it was because of the depression). Now I can sleep 14-16 hours daily!!!! I feel exhausted all of the time! I am ADD so I also take 54mg Concerta with the AD. If anything I should be opposite of fatigued. I'm going to wean myself off of the Cymbalta and go back to Effexor. Atleast I had a sex drive and slept like a normal person. It's aggravating.

"All I want is to be NORMAL~" (whatever that is)

Linda1961 is offline New Member

I am new to this site. I found it when I typed in a search "weaning off cymbalta". I was on Cymbalta for 8 months my internist started me on 20mg. She said it would lift my mild depression and help with the fibromyalgia pain. My initial response to the medication was not great. I called and spoke to the nurse and told her that there was no way I could stay on it. I felt exhausted, sick to my stomach, and "drunk". It took about two weeks for all those feelings to pass and then I felt great. I was happy and I even began to see some of the pain subside. However, I couldn't sleep. I started taking ambien. Within a month I felt as if it wasn't helping me anymore. The Dr. increased me to 60mg's a day. The increased mg's. made me retain water so I had to go on a water pill. My blood pressure became elevated. I actually started to feel uncomfortable in ways I hadn't before. I developed restless leg syndrome. I drip with sweat with any kind of exersion. I am exhausted again. It just stopped working for me.
    There was an upside to this drug though. It definetly made me feel better faster than any antidepressant I have tried. It increased my sex drive (initially, higher dose made orgasim hard).
    In the beginning I lost weight (I have gained 20lbs - NOT HAPPY I felt that black cloud stop hanging over my head. I wasn't crying all the time and screaming like a lunatic at my kids and husband. But it's just not working at all anymore, and I need to sleep.
    I cut back and I am now off for four days. I wake up completely out of it and can't get out of bed. I'm dizzy and feel "weird" for most of the day. I have the brain zaps and strange sensations running through me. My husband says I am very jumpy and cranky.
    Has anyone had a similiar experience? How long do the symptoms last?
    I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had similiar experiences with cymbalta.
    Thanks,
    Linda

It is interesting how the same drug does so much different in other people. It's 1:33am. I haven't slept in 32 hours. I quit taking it because I slept toooo much. Now after being off of it for 6 days the withdraw symptoms are kicking hard. I am having the nightmares, the zaps, and the EXTREME myocloptic jerking of the body muscles. My husband is sleeping in his lazyboy because I'm like an "earthquake" he says. I feel like I'm in an altered diminsion and it's quite freaky really. I'm sure it will pass...but weaner-offer beware. I'm more psychotic now than I've ever been. I'm actually digging tonight for info on if quitting this med abruptly could kill ya, or is it just my brain. You may read this and think, "man, that chick's got issues". Trust me, I didn't until yesterday and about the 28th hour I passed without sleep. I still have straight A's in college and hold down my full time job and family, so I can't be that crazy. This week will be the real test I suppose. I hope this helps some, just expect to feel really unusually messed up when you quit taking it.

Thank you Dr. Sarah your diagnosis of my condition and medical history means absolutely not a damn thing to me. Save your judgement for someone else. Thank you others for your responses.

and if anybody else has this question.....I did continue to take the Cymbalta and it has been almost two weeks now. I am supposed to start with 40mg up from 20 mg on Saturday and they seem to be making a difference.

The extreme sickness I had was a result of me discontinuing my Effexor that I had been taking for two years.

sassy252 is offline New Member

I am here because I do not like Cymbalta.. I do not feel a difference in my pain. The depression ok on prozac. The cymbalta was supposed to help the pain. it hasn't. I did like the others when i was on a low dose sex was great now well it isn't so great. I get Constipated so bad everyday.[xx(] I being a nurses aide know you take stool softeners enough you become addicted to them. I am retaining water, I get up in the a.m. my hands feel like water filled gloves.Sweat like a hog when i do any exercise.
    I tell the dr they up the dose. I think maybe they are getting a kickback on the stuff. I want my prozac back. I have restless legs now also. I think I am going to have to change drs. thanks for listening..[V]

sassy,
    I had constipation a bit, but I thought that it was due to my diet. I have always been on the un-constipated side of life. Luckily I’ve never had to use softeners or the such. I didn’t have pain, I did have a touch of neuropathy from pre-diabetes, but other than that I didn’t use it for pain. I used it for depression however it made me sleep from 8 hours to 17&18 hours daily! Then, like you, they upped the dosage saying I was depressed…. No, wrong answer… I slept 22 hours the next day and stopped cold turkey. I never thought about it but maybe they are getting high dollars for referring the usage of this drug. It’s crazy! I thought that I had restless legs too, but after seeking another opinion and TONS OF internet research I have learned that it is called myoclonic jerk, and is a very common side effect of the Cymbalta. Oh, and if you quit the drug (weaning or cold turkey) this gets worse. It becomes so violent that your partner can’t sleep. I have been off for 2 weeks or so now and I’m still shaking like an earthquake at night. P.S. always here to listen…. That’s why I post!

z1234d is offline New Member

I have been taking cymbalta for 2 weeks. Started slowly since I am sensitive to meds. Started with 20mg,then 30 each for aweek. Now I will increase to 40. So far it has had less side effects than the effexor at 75mg.( I had to stop Effexor because the side effects were too dibilitating at higher doseages.) Although one s.e. is that one finger gets "locked"closed sometimes. This was the same with effexor at a higher dosage. I have gained weight with effexor it was non stop eating. So far with cymbalta I haven't lost any wt. Once I finish a meal I need to leave the kitchen otherwise it is the same as effexor...damn!. It seems that when a med say loss of wt. I gain!

Hollybbs is offline New Member

I just wanted to share my experience and see if anybody had any input. About a year ago my doctor was unsure if I had depression and anxiety or ADHD. So we tried Cymbatla. It definitly helped with the anxiety and depression, but left me EXTREMLY tired. I had other symtoms as well like poor concentration lack of interest in completing tasks. I thought it was just from the depression. Now a year later I told my Doc I was trying to get off of it because I can't stand being so tired and he suggested that I may have ADHD as well s depression. He put me on 20mg of Adderall XR. I immediatly noticed a huge difference in my aletness and ability to concentrate. I have some insomnia which is bothersome but I also take Trazadone to sleep at night. I notice that the Adderall wears off toward the end of the day leaving me cranky and depressed. Is this normal? should I up my Cymbalta, or take a second dose of Adderall later in the day? I am afraid of taking too many meds and overdoing it. Anyone have experience with this?

Byron Eckhart is offline New Member

Hi my name is Byron. I have been taking cymbalta for about 6 months. I had trouble sleeping they put me on ambien didnt work. Then sonata didnt work. Then trazadone didnt work. Then restoril it worked for about 4 5 months but then I started having horrible nightmares. I mean horrible where I actually went to the physcyatric hospital and had them evaluate me. Now im on seruiqul 400 mg. Man this drug will make you sleep 14 hours. My body kept retaining water and my sex life was none zero. My wife noticed these changes. Then I started feeling these weird electric pulses that would go up and down my body along with a dizzy feeling almost like a black out. My doctor pulled me off cold turkey. Please dont do this I am freaking. I just took my cymbalta hoping to feel better just for today until I see him again next week. If you need help with this email me at Byronclay05@aol.com

rosetaz is offline New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta at 30mg a day for about 3 months now and I have to say this is a miracle drug for me as far as my depression goes. I am a new person. I had heartburn and some upset stomach for about 2 weeks when beginning Cymbalta.

I have lost 8# which I needed to lose and can stand to lose 20 more. I am hungry normally, and when I'm full, I have my normal, yuck, to food so at least I am not pigging out with no sense of when I'm full. That was typical for me on Wellbutrin.

I'm pretty satisfied with Cymbalta. I do have trouble with many drugs though, bad side effects with lots.

My sleeping is easier, although I still take Neurontin or a Vicodin before I go to bed, to ease the pains, depending on which kinds of pains I'm having.

I don't think Cymbalta is any worse than other antidepressants, it all depends on what one works for you.

Rosetaz

skipper2 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sassy252

I am here because I do not like Cymbalta.. I do not feel a difference in my pain. The depression ok on prozac. The cymbalta was supposed to help the pain. it hasn't. I did like the others when i was on a low dose sex was great now well it isn't so great. I get Constipated so bad everyday.[xx(] I being a nurses aide know you take stool softeners enough you become addicted to them. I am retaining water, I get up in the a.m. my hands feel like water filled gloves.Sweat like a hog when i do any exercise.
    I tell the dr they up the dose. I think maybe they are getting a kickback on the stuff. I want my prozac back. I have restless legs now also. I think I am going to have to change drs. thanks for listening..[V]

skipper2 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by skipper2

quote:Originally posted by sassy252

Sorry i guess i forgot to write my thaughts on cymbalta. I took this for several days and was litterlly ready to beat my doc. I was sooo depressed. Stopped and have not touched since. I was told by the doc it would give me energy and help with depression. Well on the third day i took it before bed and slept like a baby. Still maybe just didn't work for me!

Sinden is offline New Member

I'm new here, so I posted a topic on Cymbalta. Sorry, I didn't know at first I could find it here.

I have such bad luck with meds. I've beed on anti-depresion meds for years and I think I've been on all of them! Nothing worked, till they discovered I have Temporal lobe epilepsy. They the gave me Lamictil. It was hell and took me 6 months to stabilized, but for the first time I had a life!!I also get serious manic episodes, because I also suffer from bipolar.

Then after two years, I started getting axious again and couldn't concentrate for 2 minutes in a row and I started to forget thing...like in blackouts. My psychiatrist wanted to increased my Lamictils, but it got worse, I got side-effects, so he gave me seroqual. It started out good, but ended terrible! I couldn't eat at all anymore, my pancreas got affected, I started to develope diabetes, had chronic dioreee, my vision is blurred....just name it...every side-effect you get in the book.

Now he prescribed Cymbalta. I am very sensitive for drugs and I'm too afraid too use it. After all I've read here, I think I'm not going to. I always get the worse effects from meds and I'm in danger of loosing my job for being sick because of meds.

I'm glad for all the info I got here, because now I know I can rather wait a few days and try it over the weekend or take a few days off.

I'll keep you all posted.

Carpe diem!

Xnuiem is offline New Member

Tried it, ramping up on the dose, but never got past 10mg until the severe headaches started. Just couldnt tolerate it, went to Lexapro instead.

Demaris is offline New Member

Hi y'all, I'm new here and this cymbalta discussion caught my eye. Linda1961---you and I could be the exact same person. OMG! I take the cymbalta for depression as well as in hopes it will help my severe fibro and RA. I never even thought about it until I read this...I just started taking it cuzz I'm so used to trying new things with my condition. So, now that y'all mentioned it...I have been sick to my stomache lately and especially in the first part of the day. I did notice my sex drive and orgasms changed completely. Sex was non-existent before so my hubby sure likes me taking it. I noticed I eat better cuzz before I only ate when I was starving. I don't know if it effects my sleep or not cuzz at the same time I started the cymbalta (@3 weeks ago) I also started trazedone. They are supposed to work good together. I'm going through the worst financial time in my life right now and I was pretty much wanting to die with those problems and my chronic pain problems but I am not crying as much now and I'm not thinking about death every other minute. I hope this helps.

D

marshallgranny is offline New Member

Question cymbalta

Quote Originally Posted by kurlique View Post
    Cymbalta

Consumer Information at
    http://cymbalta.drugs.com/
    My Dr put me on this drug and I really like it but I cannot take it any LONGER it gives me a headach that feels like a train crashing on my head. But I really think that the cymblata did help me but the pain that I suffered when I took it outweighs the good part of it, in fact my Dr told me to take my pain med with it and he said to stay on it because it just needed to get into my system, but the kind of headachs I have is the kind that puts me in the bed for a couple of days. So you tell me what would you do take it or leave it? I would like to know if anyone else is having the same trouble?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast