Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Cymbalta
    drugbuster is offline Banned

THE FACTS ABOUT CYMBALTA.....

The suicide rate among the general population of the USA is 1 per 10,000

The suicide rate among Cymbalta users... no matter what condition it is prescribed for and including clinical trial patients who WERE non depressed, non suicidal.... 1 PER 600 !!!

Just Google "Traci Johnson".

Cymbalta kills more than 3% of the users within the first year of use.

Tim
    prozackills2002@yahoo.ca

Every 5 minutes an American is killed by an FDA approved prescription drug.

faithwalk is offline New Member

Smile Cymbalta is working for me!

Where does this person get their statistics from? This is a scare tactic post if I ever saw one!

I have been taking Cymbalta for 10 weeks now and it's working great for me. I started on 30 mg. for depression and neuropathic pain in my feet. I was lowered to 20 mg. after 2 weeks because the 30 mg. made me too jittery. At this point my mood has lifted, the neuro pain is greatly improved and I have lost 15 lbs (which I put on due to the depression). The only complaint I have regarding Cymbalta is the lack of sexual drive. While that may be a bummer for my husband and I it certainly isn't going to drive me to commit suicide. In addition, it has given me back the motivation and energy to get things done in my life.

Faithwalk

ktiller is offline New Member

Default Just switched to Cymbalta

So far, Cymbalta has proved to be a very good drug. I feel great. My only 2 side effects are tiredness (which generally will wear off) and decreased apetite. But I am thrilled with the decreased apetite, because I could stand to lose a few pounds. I just hope that it won't wear off.

goodboyindc is offline New Member

Smile so far so good

i have been on cymbalta now for 2 months.

i started off on 2 7-day trial samples of 60 mg taken once daily. dr recommended to take in the early morning for a boost of energy. so i have taken it always between 7-8 a.m.

sought use for: generalized anxiety/non-stop negative thoughts; mild-to-severe depression

previous experience with anxiety/anti-depression meds: paxil (1994), imipramine (1994), effexor (2001), effexor XR (2002-2003)

i chose cymbalta because it is comparable to effexor and although i was able to see results with my anxiety and depression with effexor, i had more problems with sleeping and irritability that i ended treatment with effexor.

cymbalta has by far exceeded my expectations in not only treating my anxiety and excessive negative thoughts but also lifted my depression. i immediately felt results on the first day, approx. 4 hours after the first dose taken.

during the first month, i did experience an increase in yawning but i wasn't tired. as a matter of fact, i had finally established a good sleeping pattern getting to bed early and wake up well rested. i started to arrive to work on time and able to focus better. i did experience a reduction in appetite and an increase in libido/desires. i also experienced a reduction in waking up in the middle of the night to go urinate. it was amazing. i always would wake up around 2 or 3 am and have to pee and then have trouble getting back to sleep.

the biggest difference between taking cymbalta vs effexor for me has been a more stable functioning as a person. with cymbalta i don't have a fluctuation of moods as i did with effexor which was really unstable.

after my first month of cymbalta, i was able to get excited or at least focused on jogging during my lunch break a couple times a week. that was great.

the two side effects that i experienced during the first week: (1) dry mouth in the morning; (2) constipation. i have always been a heavy sweat person and now i find it easier to sweat even more. so i guess that can be the third side effect. although i had experienced increased libido during the first three weeks, it went away, and then returned again.

during the beginning of second month of cymbalta, i regained my appetite although it is still slightly reduced from my normal usual eating. still dealing with constipation but dry mouth has resolved. libido seems to be fine.

from what i have been reading, there is no benefit in taking more than 60 mg per day of cymbalta. i just wanted to highlight this as there have been some postings here of people taking more than 60 mg per day.

so far, i am very pleased with my cymbalta experience.
    Last edited by goodboyindc; 06-10-2007 at 12:35 AM.

itsnogood4 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up I love it

I've been taking Cymbalta since i gave birth to my son, that was about 7 months ago. They have had to up my dosage to 120mg, but so far its worked better than any other antidepressent ive ever tried. Cymbalta also helps for my Diabetic Nerve Pain. I just read that your not suposed to take Cymbalta if your taking Maxalt (for migrains) so ill be talking to my doc about that one.

Emily's mom is offline New Member

I have been on Lamictal since September last year and like it. In December I began to take Cymbalta because I felt "blue" most all of the time. I was at 60 mg per day. In March I began to experience times when I could just sit and cry. The dr increased the Cymbalta to 90 mg per day and I love it. I wake up feeling more alive. I enjoy doing more things outside than I have in years! My three year old is definitely enjoying me more! Give the combination a try.

yackyackyack is offline New Member

Question

Hello, i just started this drug also after taking Paxil for 10 years and falling back into a deep depression state again. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks. I'm taking it in the morning and it seems to have a very sedating effect on me so far. I thought about trying it at night since that is when i took Paxil and it did better for me then. I've also heard of people adding Wellbutrin to the Cymbalta to help with the alertness and sexual side effects of the Cymbalta. Has anyone done this and had any luck?

ritchiearice is offline New Member

Default New to Cymbalta also

Hi! I was started out on 30mg of cymbalta for a week and then to 60mg the
    2nd week. I am on my 3rd or 4th week. I felt so great the first couple weeks. I had energy, motivation, etc. I felt like a new person. Last week and this week so far, I have been so tired, irritable (nothing like before I started this med) but annoyed and emotional.
    I am wondering if this is normal for this drug. I really liked the way I was the first couple of weeks. I enjoyed the energy.
    What happened?

Jeanniexx is offline New Member

I have been taking cymbalta for a year and a half now and personally I don't have any bad side effects from it, except that I think I need to up my milligrams now. It could be my weight or the fact that I take it with Adderall XR 30 Mg, but the only side effects I have felt from it are nasea (sp!) the first fews day. I do only take 60 mg of it so that could be the reason, other then that I am a pretty healthy person. I am 104 and 5"3 if that helps with my response to the meds....
    Sorry everyone else has seemed to suffer from it

Jeanniexx is offline New Member

Hi. I started out like you by taking ony 30 mg and then upping to 60 mg....when I first started taking more of the medicine I felt really irritable too, I don't know if your a girl but it was kind of like a PMS symptom just very emotional and moody, after about a week or two it wore off and I started to feel the better effects of cymbalta again I.E. happiness and less anxiety...ect. good luck! message or respond if you have any other questions

ritchiearice is offline New Member

So, what you're saying is I should stick with Cymbalta at least until my next Dr's appt. (3 weeks) Why do the good effects wear off and then come back? Do you take your cymbalta in the morning or at night?
    Thanks for your input. This is a great site.
    I used it when I was weaning off Lexapro. I don't think I would've been able to do it without reading that other people had withdrawals too.
    PS-
    I am female- 6', 132lbs.
    Last edited by ritchiearice; 08-01-2007 at 08:31 AM.

DebStroud is offline New Member

Lightbulb

Dear kurlique - I was put on Cymbalta because of depression and the fact that I have fibromyalgia. I was started at 30 mg and then increased to 60 mg and now am at 120 mg daily. I take it at night and, as someone else mentioned, I also take trazadone at night. The Cymbalta has helped very much, easing much of the pain from my fibromyalgia and helping with my depression. I understand that many may be shocked at the dose, 120 mg, but that's what it took to give me relief. The trazadone is for the sleep disturbance that comes with fibromyalgia - it is supposed to give me the REM sleep that we need to "repair" our bodies overnight, which is something people with fibromyalgia are unable to do. The sleep disturbances keep us from getting the REM sleep and, therefore, the pains never abate.

The Cymbalta was a lifesaver for me. I was on Effexor but had become so depressed I was contemplating suicide (I don't believe this had anything to do with the Effexor.) and was hospitalized. Afterwards, my doctor tried to wean me off of the Effexor and onto Wellbutrin but that did not go well at all. I had a "breakdown" and was a hysterical mess, crying and hurting. We went back to the Effexor and I remained on it until Cymbalta came out. This, as I said, seemed to be the answer to my problems. It treated depression [B]as well as[B] pain from fibromyalgia. It has indeed turned out to be a blessing for me. I should add though that if I miss a several doses (two days), I do have withdrawal. This has only happened when I've run out of medicine because I haven't refilled it in time.

All I can say kurlique is to keep trying and perhaps you need a higher dose than most people, like I did. I still get slight depressed but I have a high level of stress in my life due to several factors and I manage it with therapy and the support of a wonderful husband and family.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

Deb

Annalee is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by spur View Post
    and if anybody else has this question.....I did continue to take the Cymbalta and it has been almost two weeks now. I am supposed to start with 40mg up from 20 mg on Saturday and they seem to be making a difference.

The extreme sickness I had was a result of me discontinuing my Effexor that I had been taking for two years.
    Just a quick note from me, That effexor you came off of, was hell for me, when I had to do it. I also was on cymbalta for some time, and that also was nasty to dertox from. I wish you the best. (I was on 150mgs of effexor, as for the cymbalta, when I took it, I was at 60mgs a day. I only wanted to let you know that both drugs are nasty to come off of.

tkclary is offline Junior Member

Default to Cymbalta or Not to Cymbalta ?

Hello,

I have read through all these posts on Cymbalta and I am as confused and undecided as ever.
    I have sever knee and back pain. I have had it for years. Too many car accidents and various stupid pet tricks....
    Anyway..I have been on Norco 10/325 daily for the pain. My doctor wants me to start taking Cymbalta also. I have refused so far based on me thinking that I am NOT a depressed person. I do have high anxiety and pain. After discussing this all with my wife last night it appears that I may be a depressed person and I just didn't know it ? ? ? I thought that life isn't supposed to be fun. Its all about work and money to me. I haven't really enjoyed any of my day to day life for a while without some alcohol or herb or you know what I mean. So...I guess I should admit it...I am depressed.

So....Seeing that I have never been on any kind of antidepressant should I really start with Cymbalta? It sounds like the doctors are just pushing the latest and greatest new drug to make some money. I even overheard the Cymbalta salesman talking it up to my Doctor while I was in the waiting room yesterday !!!! Major salesman mistake.

Help. I need some input from all you educated and informed people here.

THanks,

TOM

loulou71 is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta

Hello All,

I am brand new to this group. I have suffered with depression and severe anxiety/OCD my whole life. Two years ago, I was near death. Severely underweight and suicidal. I also suffer from anorexia/nervosa and bulemia. I was at the end. I sought help from professionals for the first time in my life instead of listening to family members saying 'snap out of it'. I was literally going out of my mind. Could not eat/sleep/function. My dr.s perscribed paxil, lexapro, then zoloft. All giving me SEVERE side effects. Finally my Dr. gave me amnyiryptaline 20mgs. It did nothing for me but help me sleep. They then added klonapin and Seroquel to help with suicidal thoughts and insomnia. (Am I F($*%&d up or what?). I was finally sleeping and eating again, but my depression and OCD were not managed. Then my Dr. decided I was too sensetive to SSRIs, so they tried me on Cymbalta with daily inhouse sessions for my severe OCD. The cymbalta was like a miracle drug. I could sleep (finally!) eat, and function fairly normally. Enough so, that after 6 months, I weaned myself first off of the seroquel (hell drug) then the klonopin. The only problem with the cymbalta is the side effects- no sex drive, severe sleepiness, sweating profusely (I am a hot person by nature, so this is miserable), and dry mouth, SEVERE constipation, and weight gain. I have gained 20 pounds in 2 years, and on my 5 foot 3" frame, this is devastating. Especially for a recovering anorexic. So now, I feel as if I am in remission. I don't have to tell all of you what a horrible disease depression is, but I feel after much therapy and exersize, healthy eating- thinking, I am getting better. I want so desperately to wean off of this drug. I don't want to say it is horrible or terrible, it helped me immensely, and probably saved my life, but I want to get off of it, and I am terrified!! I just need some advice, or maybe a friend.
    Thanks for listening. I am right there with you all... good luck to you in your recovery

sparkey is offline Junior Member

I have been on cymbalta for about 6 months now. Personally i could take it or leave it. I cannot even tell i am on it. People say they have popping noises in their head when they take it. I never once felt that. I take 60 mg a day for neurological pain in my hand. I have to say i think it is helping as i really have a hard time noticing if it is that because i take pain killers also with it. I know it cost my wc insurance co. 300 dollars a month and they are trying like hell to get me off it so they do not pay it anymore. My doctor refuses to take me off it at this time.

I have heard alot of people say they get withdrawls from it. I personally thought i was gaining weight with them and stopped for 1 week. I had to have a urine test done and the insurance co. wanted to make sure i am using them for that price. Thank god i took one that am before the test. Now i am scared they will test me again so i take them daily. Do you take them? I was curious why you wanted to know about cymbalta. Any questions feel free to email me.

Eagle Dove is offline New Member

I suffered from depression and GAD severely for the last three years, but stubbornly AGAINST taking any medication to relieve the negative symptoms. In January 2007, after my spouse had to leave the country to care for his elderly mother, I began crying uncontrollably. I was not sleeping at night, I could not move myself to do anything around the house, and only by shear will-power and force, managed to get to my job every day, which was the only thing preventing me from really going over the deep end. I love my work and it was the only positive thing happening in my life. However, I cried at the tip of the hat there as well, and on the way to and from work, all I could do was cry.

This went on until two months ago when after doing my own research on anti-depressants I came upon Cymbalta. I also suffer from nerve damage in my neck and hoped the Cymbalta could kill two birds with one stone.

I went to my family doctor of 15 years, explained the situation and he put me on 20mg of Cymbalta for the first month, and in the second month we increased the dosage to 30mg.

Whether it was a placebo effect or not, since the day I began Cymbalta, I have not shed a single inappropriate tear and I feel absolutely fantastic. I sleep a full seven or eight hours a night and wake up feeling refreshed and alive again. I had/have absolutely no side-effects other than a slightly dry mouth.

Even my husband, who was becoming very frustrated with my mood swings, and literally uncontrollable crying, is amazed at the changes.

I can only give Cymbalta a 100% A+ rating, as I experienced nothing negative and almost consider this 180 degree change as a miracle. I do have a therapist with whom I meet weekly, and I must sound like a paid commercial as I keep telling her how much I love Cymbalta.

For anyone reading this, please understand, this is the ONLY medication I take other than Fosamax, multivitamins and supplements, and I do not drink alcohol by choice, not because I can not.

Eagle Dove is offline New Member

I forgot to add in my post last night that I am 53 years old, and have never taken any medication in this category before. I also take the Cymbalta about an hour before bedtime and after eating supper. I do not know if it is my imagination or not, but I also have a decreased appetite, but seem to be putting on a bit of weight. I will follow my weight more closely now and report back if there is a considerable difference.

Also, I think my doctor was very wise in increasing the dosage after one month rather than one or two weeks as I have read in some cases. He said the side effects are minimized in this manner.

BassetHounds Rule is offline New Member

Thumbs down Never Again!

I was put on Cymbalta in February of this year for depression and pain - I also am recovering from anorexia. There hasn't been one benefit, that I can see except MAYBE some pain management. I was at 60mg up until three months ago when I dropped to 40mg then 20mg - Today is day 5 without any Cymbalta at all - It has been complete and utter hell coming off of this drug! Brain zaps, no constant temperature, general dizziness and what I would describe as craziness.

I have been on several drugs in my lifetime and I have never experienced anything like it. I also gained weight on it, and as someone had previously posted, it wreaks havoc on someone recovering with an eating disorder.

I am truly glad it has worked for some people - but for me? No thanks, I will live with the depression first.

BHR

Tsarina is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurlique View Post
    Cymbalta
    Generic Name: duloxetine
    Treatment for: Depression

Have you taken or do you take Cymbalta?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at
    http://cymbalta.drugs.com/
    After a very severe depressive episode I have recently been switched to Cymbalta as my antidepressent. Since it is so new I haven't been able to gather much information about it except what Eli Lily has put out. Has anyone out there had any experience with this drug? I would love to hear from you. Thanks for your help.

I've been on Cymbalta since August (it's November now) and it is working for both depression and pain...especially the pain. The only side effect--if you could call it that--was that I went off of it for a week and experience anxiety attacks...very mild.

kjcanada1979 is offline New Member

Smile I love Cymbalta

Ive been taking Cymbalta for about 6 months now....so far it has worked wonders for me!!! I had Severe Post Partum Depression. They tried me on Lexapro first then Zoloft. Neither one of those drugs helped at all. I feel like I have my life back!!! Besides other health issues.

peskie is offline New Member

I switched from Lexapro to Cymbalta a few months back. I was sleeping way too much and achy constantly before and my doc seemed to think Cymbalta would help with my energy and pain. I see *some* positive differences, but I'm DIZZY, scary dizzy frequently. I have a much increased appetite, but food doesn't settle well with me and I hurt for about an hour after eating every time, regardless of what and how much.

I seem to not be near as sad anymore, but I'm annoyed more frequently.

But, not sure why I went down that rabbit trail.....all that said, I can't remember if I took it this morning and I'm dizzy (but I'm dizzy so often I can't tell if it's from not having it or not). I'm on 60 mg. Am I better off taking too much or not enough?

mi3kds1 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Cymbalta has really helped me

I have been dealing with severe depression and anxiety since suffering an acquired brain injury in 2001. Unfortunately, I was told to see my family dr. I knew I was forgetful and was not functionally as I'd expected. Long story, I saw a therapist who could not even look me in the eyes. Dropped him. I bit the bullet and saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with PTDS. I saw him for a couple of months and began seeing a different doc. I have been on and off so many meds which either did not work, or worked for a very short time. Changing meds is not easy to do. Finally, my current doc asked if I'd be willing to try Cymbalta 30 mg. It worked for a decent amount of time for me...probably 3 months and depression wos ruling my world. We stepped me up to 60 mg, then 90. We both kew it was time for a change . I tried 2 other meds neither working more than 1-2 months. I asked to revisit Cymbalta. I'm currently at 60 mg. I've been using it for over a year and have had no ill side effects. I felt the difference in a week or so.
    Cymbalta can also help with chronic pain in some people.
    I'd like to add the importance of working with a dr. who actually listens, your being honest with your doctor and having the ability to reach him. Call if you are having any ill effects of any med.[/SIZE]

blueeyes_diva is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by yackyackyack View Post
    Hello, i just started this drug also after taking Paxil for 10 years and falling back into a deep depression state again. I've been taking it for about 2 weeks. I'm taking it in the morning and it seems to have a very sedating effect on me so far. I thought about trying it at night since that is when i took Paxil and it did better for me then. I've also heard of people adding Wellbutrin to the Cymbalta to help with the alertness and sexual side effects of the Cymbalta. Has anyone done this and had any luck?
    I am using 30 mg of Cymbalta with 300 mg of Wellbutrin.
    I was on a higher dose of just Cymbalta alone but the sexual side effects were killing my husband so my Dr. lowered the Cymbalta and added Wellbutrin which is not supposed to have the sexual problems. I'ts been 4-5 months at least and I cant say I notice a difference in anything including libido (poor husband).

meeeeeelee is offline New Member

Cool cymbalta story

I was prescribed Cymbalta about 9 months ago. Began taking 30 mg a day, up to 90 mg a day at the end. I was given this med for my fibromyalgia. I don't think it ever really helped me, not with depression, sleep, or pain. But I continued to take it. Well.....I lost my job 2 months ago and could not afford the doctor visits. He told me to taper off......OK I tried to taper off, and the side effects were over whelming. Now I know I shouldn't have, but I jsut stopped cold turkey.The withdrawals while tapering off were just too m uch so I decided what the hell? It can't be any worse cold turkey. I went thru 3 weeks of terrible withdrawal physically. Brain zaps, dizziness, blood pressure up and down, headaches, I could go on, but I won't. By the fourth week, thiose symptoms were getting better, and the crying started. OMG It's been 6 weeks now. You couldn't pay me to take any of the antidepressants ever again. The chemistry of your brain was not meant to be chemically altered. Surely I am not the only one who feels this way. My advice is to NOT take ANY antidepressants whatsoever....................I get pissed off just thinking about the hell I went thru. Good luck to anyone on these type drugs. You will need it.

lalakehanap is offline New Member

Smile Re: Cymbalta

Quote Originally Posted by pwcclient32 View Post
    I have taken cymbalta since October or November of 2004. My psychiatrist wants me to take it, my FNP does not want me to take it. I have gone off the meds, but after not taking the meds for about 3 weeks, I had a really bad withdrawl headache and zaps today and can't get them to go away. does anyone know how long it takes to compeltely get off cymbalta and what vitamins help this withdrawl process? Thanks. Let me know how I can help you, I've been in this mess for four or five years now.
    Hi. I have been prescribed Cymbalta 30mg. per day and have been on them for about 1.5 years. When on Cymbalta, I feel so tired I want to sleep all day and the day following. I only get a brief respite from the extreme tiredness when the drug is about to wear off and I am about to take the next dose. Also, I also experienced constipation while on this medicine.

About 2.5 weeks ago, I had decided to wean myself off Cymbalta because it is interfering with my work and daily life.

I switched to Prozac 20mg.

I had experienced withdrawal symptoms of nausea, headaches, light-headedness, problems with balance, feeling sick (like having the flu) and muscle pains.

The withdrawal side-effects seem a lot but they were mostly tolerable since I am still on Prozac, an SSRI. Cymbalta, though, is an SNRI.

Do not stop Cymbalta cold-turkey! Proper tapering down of that medicine with the help of your psychiatrist will minimize withdrawal symptoms.

Doctors say Prozac has a longer half-life and is less likely to cause withdrawal symptoms when tapered properly.

So my journey to getting off antidepressants is still underway. With the help of my psychiatrist, hopefully, I will be able to wean myself off Prozac with little withdrawal side-effects.

Hope this information was helpful for the original poster inquiring about Cymbalta. Good luck!

Lyn81 is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta

I have been on Cymbalta for almost two years now...It works great for me..I have no side effects on 30 mg but I do want to say that when I was on 60 mg I wanted to kill myself. It was really scary..but when I when down to 30 mg I did not have that feeling...The drug company say that the suicide thoughts are just for the kids and young adult but I was 54 when I had those thoughts and I never want that feeling again...

Lyn

BassetHounds Rule is offline New Member

I was on Cymbalta for just about a year and it was the WORST experience of my life. Not only did it not help my depression and pain - but coming off it was akin to being in a war zone. The brain zaps were almost unbearable, and I was on a very long slow taper. At no time did I stop it cold turkey. Fortunately for me it was recommended that I try a combination of calcium and vitamin D to ease the withdrawal symptoms. The difference was like night and day - I obviously can't say that will work for everyone or even most people, but it saved my life.

And perhaps of even of more interest - no medical doctor helped me with the w/d recommendations, it was a friend who is in the field of homeopathic healing. I'm still on a/d's and Xanax but I'd take those any day over Cymbalta.

Good luck to all of you who are on it and I hope it keeps working for you.

ruffedges is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta

I have been taking Cymbalta for 6 weeks now. Just had to have it increased from 60mg to 90 mg. Generally speaking I seem okay. I am no longer in a "fog" from drugs. There is one thing that bothers me a lot and that is the constant headache. Not sure if this quits with time or not. Sure would like any information I can get on this drug.

ruffedges is offline New Member

Thanks for writing. I thought I was nuts. My fingers lock closed as well. Now I know it is from the drug.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast