CONCERTA
    limericklad2 is offline Member

Default Concerta

Concerta
    Generic Name: methylphenidate
    Treatment for: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Have you taken or do you take Concerta?
    Are you the caregiver for a child on Concerta?

We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/concerta.html

Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/concerta.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 12:06 AM.

any1 got anything to share.....

hi folks,

i would realy appreciate it if anybody whos on CONCERTA for ADHD would give me some info on how it worked for them , my sister is worried sick at this stage , my nephew was put on it , but he complained of headaches, and my sister is a panicy person and she took him off it, but she realises that he does need to be on it....... due to hids behaviour... please any1 , if u have experienced CONCERTA... PLEASE POST SOME INFO

Thanks ,
    mike

a friend from ireland

hi folks,

i would realy appreciate it if anybody whos on CONCERTA for ADHD would give me some info on how it worked for them , my sister is worried sick at this stage , my nephew was put on it , but he complained of headaches, and my sister is a panicy person and she took him off it, but she realises that he does need to be on it....... due to hids behaviour... please any1 , if u have experienced CONCERTA... PLEASE POST SOME INFO

Thanks ,
    mike

a friend from ireland

Ele
    Ele is offline New Member

I was on it for a brief time, but my doctor switched me back to Adderall. I think it has been taken off the market, I could be wrong since you say your nephew has had it prescribed...I think only the generic version is av. I'll check and post back soon..I just felt kind of bad that noone had responded to you as of yet..I'm new as far as posting but have been reading this board for quite sometime. Regardless of how anyone else does on it or their response to it, remember everyone is different in how their body reacts to meds. You have to factor in age, weight, etc.. As I said before I hate to post info w/o having the correct information but hold tight I'll do some checking now and will post back soon.

Ele
    Ele is offline New Member

Ok sorry about that but it has not been taken off the market..My dads a doc so I checked with him..He said I was probably thinking about Adderall being taken off the market in Canada..Sorry about that if you do a web search on Concerta, or better yet read the info that comes in the package you usually have to ask the pharmacy for it but it details all the possible side effects. I took it so long ago but can't recall headaches. But there are side effects from all meds that may subside over time. If she is really worried the best person to consult would be with her sons doctor. It could be something as simple as a dose change. Hope everything works out for you and your nephew.

Ele,

thank u so much for taking the time out for me, i realy appreciate it

Mike .

YOUR friend from ireland

crashette is offline New Member

I am an adult and have been on Concerta for about one year. It has help me tremedously with ADAH (same as ADD but for adults it is ADAH). I finally gave in to taking the stimulant after fighting medication since my mother refuse to give me retilin as a child. It has helped with depression and concentration and I have not felt like "giving up" since taking it. However, it can be habbit forming and for a child or teenager I believe it can be somewhat harmful due to this. I just think if we could first try teaching the child to channel their energy and put that ADD to work by joining sports, getting involved in something active that the child enjoys so his attention does not wonder off. Just FYI I am 39 years old.

Mel4help is offline New Member

I take Concerta for ADH. Befopre I had insurance, I was on Adderall. My son is on Adderall but won't take whole pills so it's not extended release. I had more peaks and valleys with Adderrall. With Concerta, I noticed more when I didn't have it then when I did. It also seemed to make me a little more wound up. I am intereted in the non-stimulant "Strattera" if anyone is familiar with it's effectiveness. I haven't had any problems on Concerta . Melanie
    quote:Originally posted by limericklad2

CAN SOMEONE LEAVE SOME INFO IF THEY WERE ON CONCERTA....MY NEPHEW IS ON IT

THANKS

jackrabbit is offline New Member

My son started taking concerta about 18 months ago and the difference in him is truly remarkable. He's happy, well behaved and his self esteem went through the roof. I started taking it several months ago for adult ADD and I concentrate better, my memory has improved, and I'm more organized. That's what's good about it. I've lost a lot of weight on it, enough that I need to really monitor my eating habits to stay healthy. I also have severe insomnia. My son has a very hard time eating during the day. One of the side effects of this medication is stunted growth in children so to ensure he grows well we feed him constantly when he is hungry. That means he eats a large breakfast and he pretty much eats from 6 at night until he goes to sleep. And sleep is a problem for him as well so he takes clonidine at night to help him calm down. I don’t know if the concerta really causes sleep problems with him like they do for me because he never slept when he was unmedicated either. There are definite pros and cons. I like concerta for both of us because we both are more organized, and for him because it helps dramatically with his impulsivity and reckless behavior. But for children, as with most ADD meds, growth has to be monitored carefully. And if your child is anything like mine, its worth getting a prescription for night time meds when you get the one for day time meds.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

teachermom is offline New Member

Default concerta kid

My 17 year old son has been on Concerta for years. He is doing great in school, plays sports, and gets along with friends. We have 3 boys. This kid is ADHD. He is impossisble to deal with if he is not on meds. We try not to medicate him on weekends and summers.... If he goes to church he will take a pill. I am also a teacher and I so appreciate parents who have difficult children who consult with their doctors. Some kids it doesn't work. Most children it is a huge social change. My philosophy about meds is if they are mentally capable and getting Fs I will consider drugs. Then and only then.
    We knew we had a problem early on with him. He couldn't tie his shoes, write his name, or read. After losing years of academics, I put him on Ritalin but learning was slow. He started to read in the 5th grade and I sent him to Score (computerized learning center) and I worked with him year around. He is now an independent learner. Sometimes I will step in just to protect him but that has only been twice in four years. Oh! did I mention that he broke a bone in his hand and we didn't catch that for several months and he had mono but he didn't complain until he found lumps in his neck!

janome is offline New Member

Be careful with these meds, they can easily, easily become a lifelong dependancy. A dependancy that increases heart disease, schizophrenia, etc etc.

Atleast be good enough to your children to get them Adderall instead of ritalin :|