Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Clonazepam
    blackcrow is offline New Member

Default Clonazepam

Not sure what to say except all these warnings of "irreversible brain damage" and "seizures upon discontinuation" are kinda freaking me out.

My prescription is 1/2 a 0.5mg pill twice a day. I've been doing 1/4 about 4-5 times a day every few hours throughout the day when needed etc. I'm only on day 4, but I'm thinking of just doing 1/4 twice a day just because I don't know what else I should be doing. All I really need is the edge taken off, 1/4 seems to do it.

But as far as withdrawls and side-effects, is it really that *big* of a deal as I read? Otherwise, perhaps I should start weening myself off this stuff now and just deal with the stress like I always have (it's a good workout).

Need advice and some reassurance that taking these for months (as I had planned) isn't so dangerous as it appears when reading through some of these sites.

Thanks.

Dave87666 is offline Member

Dont let that worry you..The sides that you're reading about are only if you have been using benzos(klonopin) for awhile,and then were to just STOP out of no where,the w/d would be similar to alcohol w/d which carries the same risks if an alcoholic just suddenly stopped drinking...If,and when you decide to come of of the klonopins then make sure that you talk with your Dr. about a tapering schedule.At your dose you really are'nt taking very much,but tolerance does grow pretty quick with these drugs so keep an eye on that,and just make sure that you dont ever just stop taking them without first talking to your Dr.

How long have you been taking these pills?

blackcrow is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave87666 View Post
    Dont let that worry you..The sides that you're reading about are only if you have been using benzos(klonopin) for awhile,and then were to just STOP out of no where,the w/d would be similar to alcohol w/d which carries the same risks if an alcoholic just suddenly stopped drinking...If,and when you decide to come of of the klonopins then make sure that you talk with your Dr. about a tapering schedule.At your dose you really are'nt taking very much,but tolerance does grow pretty quick with these drugs so keep an eye on that,and just make sure that you dont ever just stop taking them without first talking to your Dr.

How long have you been taking these pills?
    Just for 4 days .. I also don't take them before bed, just during the day (not sure if that's something I should change aswell ..keeping it 12 hours apart etc).

I'm just wondering if I'm heading down the wrong path when instead, I maybe should be focusing on non-medical ways of treating the stress and perhaps using benzo's when I need to curb it.

Lastly, I am also wondering how long it will take at .5mg / day to become dependent.

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

You've got to realize that these drug manufacturer's are advised by their teams of lawyers to say certain things to cover their own hides. A lot of it is bull*hi*. Don't mess with your drugs without your doctor's involvement. That way you're gonna be left out there all by yourself because you thought it was a good idea at the time to do this or that with your drugs. Talk to your doctor.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

BenzoSlave is offline New Member

Please help me. I'm 23, I've been on Klonopin for about three years and I quit immediately about three weeks ago. Throughout this time, I've realized that I cannot think as quickly and sufficiently as I used to. I used to be a very smart, goal-oriented, quick-witted, and highly motivated individual but now I am just a lifeless zombie. I was a zombie throughout my usage of Klonopin as well, but I was too dumb to realize it. It seems as if my vocabulary has been cut into thirds and I've been stuck with only one of them. My mind is an absolute mess. I'm never happy, I'm never sad, I'm always having a difficult time finding the correct words to say, and I'm hardly ever enthusiastic about anything. I'm just, there. Why was I much more intelligent when I was 19? Why is this drug even on the market? Irreversible brain damage is right. I am stuck in this state permanently, aren't I.

Please help, I am literally crying out for help.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoSlave View Post
    Please help me. I'm 23, I've been on Klonopin for about three years and I quit immediately about three weeks ago. Throughout this time, I've realized that I cannot think as quickly and sufficiently as I used to. I used to be a very smart, goal-oriented, quick-witted, and highly motivated individual but now I am just a lifeless zombie. I was a zombie throughout my usage of Klonopin as well, but I was too dumb to realize it. It seems as if my vocabulary has been cut into thirds and I've been stuck with only one of them. My mind is an absolute mess. I'm never happy, I'm never sad, I'm always having a difficult time finding the correct words to say, and I'm hardly ever enthusiastic about anything. I'm just, there. Why was I much more intelligent when I was 19? Why is this drug even on the market? Irreversible brain damage is right. I am stuck in this state permanently, aren't I.

No! This is temporary BUT...

First, start back on Klonopin (under doctor supervision) immediately! Suddenly stopping after 3 years is STRONGLY contraindicated. You are suffering from acute withdrawal syndrome! If you do not get some Klonopin in your system soon, this will morph into long-term withdrawal syndrome. A semi-permanent condition.

Second, consult the doctor who'd been prescribing them to you and start an EXTREMELY slow tapering plan. It should take the better part of a year to stop long-term Klonopin therapy.

Please write a response to this post.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Default My Experience with Klonopin

I'm diagnosed as having panic disorder with agoraphobia.

About four months ago, my psychiatrist put me on a regimen of ever increasing doses of Klonopin and Remeron. I reached the peak at 14mg/day of Klonopin when my symptoms ceased, and am now on the downslope, having reached just 4.5mg/day of Klonopin and a steady-state dose of Remeron at 90mg/day. I am still symptom-free. Some may howl in amazement, "14mg/day!?! Is he crazy?" Before you jump, consider the following:

This was a calculated and well parsed effort to break my never-ending panic cycles. So far, it has been a resounding success. Note, so far. My psychiatrist says she has prescribed this bell-curved dosing of Klonopin to people with panic disorder ending with complete remission upon discontinuation of the drug in about 80% of patients. The other 20% are harder nuts (no pun intended) to crack. Because I'm so young (30) and have such an otherwise positive outlook on things, she and I believe I fall in the former category. (Crossing fingers again)

Before Klonopin, my quality of life was nonexistent; the anxiety was truly paralyzing. (Imagine Sigourny Weaver's character in the movie Copycat ) That was me.

I couldn't sleep. (I could go days between mere cat-naps.) I couldn't eat. I couldn't breathe. It was awful. Nay, TORTURE!

After just 4 months on Klonopin and Remeron, I have a full-time job as (of all things) a Pharmacy Technician, with my certification exam about 6 months away. I have a normal, ever fuller, social life. I sleep 8-9 hours every single night. I walk 25 miles a week and lift weights almost every other day; I'm gaining lean muscle mass at the rate of about a pound a week. My prematurely graying and frizzed hair is growing in much darker (almost 100% gray-free) and with a far smoother texture (I could, in my hair, see a clear line of demarcation between "gray and frizzy" and "black and shiny" that perfectly correlated with commencement of therapy); I notice similar horizontal marks on my finger- and toenails. My dry eyes moistened. My dandruff and acne cleared. I've taken up playing classical piano again. My joints stopped aching. My asthma is 1/8 as severe. EVERYTHING (literally) inside and out, from head to toe has changed stunningly and suddenly to the extremity of better. My resting heart rate has been halved, my blood pressure is remarkably lower. I have boundless positive energy. If that can't be called miraculous, I don't know what can!

So far, the downward titration (detox) has been utterly painless. I was petrified of becoming "stuck" on benzos before using Klonopin. My doctor and I want me to take it only as long as needed. I am using the drug responsibly and clear-mindedly. Our main concern about dose reduction is avoidance of sudden changes. As long as the rate of change is slow enough (exponentially so), the science says I should be fine. I trust the science.

I will post updates every other week. Don't take it as advice, I'm just an "n" of one.

No! These symptoms are temporary BUT...

First, start back on Klonopin (under doctor supervision) immediately! Suddenly stopping after 3 years is STRONGLY contraindicated. You are suffering from acute withdrawal syndrome! If you do not get some Klonopin in your system soon, this will morph into long-term withdrawal syndrome. A semi-permanent condition.

Second, consult the doctor who'd been prescribing them to you and start an EXTREMELY slow tapering plan. It should take the better part of a year to stop long-term Klonopin therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    No! This is temporary BUT...

Thank you.

Three weeks isn't too long? I feel like I'm trapped in this mental state forever. One good thing is that I've quit bawling/having my little nervous breakdown, but my mind is still lost somewhere in oblivion. How do you know it's only temporary? I really, really, REALLY don't want to go back on it. Anything I can do to treat this in a natural manner would be ideal. I hate Klonopin. I hate it.

Thank you.

Three weeks isn't too long? I feel like I'm trapped in this mental state forever. One good thing is that I've quit bawling/having my little nervous breakdown, but my mind is still lost somewhere in oblivion. How do you know it's only temporary? I really, really, REALLY don't want to go back on it. Anything I can do to treat this in a natural manner would be ideal. I hate Klonopin. I hate it.
    You HAVE to start back on it an then taper very slowly. If you don't, you're going to be in this withdrawal state for many months if not a few years.

Are you in possession of Klonopin now? (Back in 10 minutes.)
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.

You HAVE to start back on it an then taper very slowly. If you don't, you're going to be in this withdrawal state for many months if not a few years.

I have a very intimate knowledge of the little "quirks" of this drug. I am quite positive about my advice.

Write back ASAP. Are you in possession of it?
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 05:39 PM.

I have 2 1/2, and I haven't taken any in about a month. They are 1mg's, what should I do. I really do not want to get back on it, but if this is the only way to restore my mind to the state that it used to be, then I'll do it. Where can I find the appropriate tapering schedule?

I have 2 1/2, and I haven't taken any in about a month. They are 1mg's, what should I do. I really do not want to get back on it, but if this is the only way to restore my mind to the state that it used to be, then I'll do it. Where can I find the appropriate tapering schedule?
    Do you have a doctor willing to work with you on a taper (preferably the original prescriber)?

What dose had you been on for those 3 years? I can help you with a taper.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.

"Do you have a doctor willing to work with you on a taper (preferably the original prescriber)?"

Yes.

"What dose had you been on for those 3 years?"

1 mg

Thank you, please help me

"Do you have a doctor willing to work with you on a taper (preferably the original prescriber)?"

Yes.

"What dose had you been on for those 3 years?"

1 mg
    Daily dose was 1mg? What was your average daily dose? (Refresh your browser often)
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Daily dose was 1mg? What was your average daily dose? (Refresh your browser often)
    Oh I'm sorry, I took two 1mg's/day. One in the morning, one at lunch (usually). There were a few exceptions where I only took one a day.

Oh I'm sorry, I took two 1mg's/day. One in the morning, one at lunch (usually). There were a few exceptions where I only took one a day.
    OK. You, my friend have much less to be worried about than I first suspected.

If you had said "I was taking 10mg/day for 3 years" I would have been very worried about your long term health.

Take 0.5mg Klonopin right now. Under your tongue. I have much more to say so don't leave.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Let me know when you've done that.

OK. You, my friend have much less to be worried about than I first suspected.

If you had said "I was taking 10mg/day for 3 years" I would have been very worried about your long term health.

Take 0.5mg Klonopin right now. Under your tongue. I have much more to say so don't leave.
    Thank you so much, I feel very relieved. I am going to my doctor tomorrow, but alright, I will take a half right now.

Thank you so much, I feel very relieved. I am going to my doctor tomorrow, but alright, I will take a half right now.
    Excellent! Is your doc a psychiatrist?

I'm staying online with you. Let me know how you feel exactly 40 minutes post-dose. I'll be waiting.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Post how you feel 40 minutes after dosing.

Excellent! Is your doc a psychiatrist?

I'm staying online with you. Let me know how you feel exactly 40 minutes post-dose. I'll be waiting.
    Thank you so much. He is a psychiatrist. I'll let you know how great I feel after 40 minutes, haha.

Thank you so much. He is a psychiatrist. I'll let you know how great I feel after 40 minutes, haha.
    You are so welcome!

Wonderful! Thank God for psychiatrists, he SHOULD know how to taper you and will probably slap you about the head for not consulting him before stopping! Tell him of your conversation with me, and about my suggestion of a 6-9 month controlled taper to prevent PAWS.

I need to know; did that dose of 0.5mg make you feel (after 40 minutes):

A: Nothing
    B: Normal
    C: Peppy
    D: Somewhat Relaxed
    E: Extremely Relaxed
    F: Sleepy
    G: Euphoric
    H: Depressed
    I: Other (specify)

Choose all that apply and let your doc know, too.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Read the above post, I will return at EXACTLY the top of the hour. Please be online.

You are so welcome!

Wonderful! Thank God for psychiatrists, he SHOULD know how to taper you and will probably slap you about the head for not consulting him before stopping! Tell him of your conversation with me, and about my suggestion of a 6-9 month controlled taper to prevent PAWS.

I need to know; did that dose of 0.5mg make you feel (after 40 minutes):

A: Nothing
    B: Normal
    C: Peppy
    D: Somewhat Relaxed
    E: Extremely Relaxed
    F: Sleepy
    G: Euphoric
    H: Depressed
    I: Other (specify)

Choose all that apply and let your doc know, too.
    Thanks, and I'll let him know.

It's been 40 minutes, and as of now, I feel somewhat relaxed. 0.5's never did anything for me, and I refused to up my dosage for obvious reasons.

Thanks, and I'll let him know.

It's been 40 minutes, and as of now, I feel somewhat relaxed. 0.5's never did anything for me, and I refused to up my dosage for obvious reasons.
    Ok. I'm back early. Do you feel a full reversal of your symptoms?

Ok. I'm back early. Do you feel a full reversal of your symptoms?
    Please ping back. Did taking 0.5mg give you complete relief of your withdrawal symptoms? Also, what is your local time?
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Yes, it definitely stopped the symptons, but my mind is still trapped in space. Hopefully once I'm done tapering, it will return to its previous state?

Yes, it definitely stopped the symptons, but my mind is still trapped in space. Hopefully once I'm done tapering, it will return to its previous state?

Good, I thought I'd lost you. What is your local time? I'm in diagnostician mode right now so bear with me.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 03-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast