Can you be pregnant & take Effexor?
    Guest Guest

Default Can you be pregnant & take Effexor?

Hello, newly married here and I have been on effexor since 2000. In the next year or two my husband and I would like to start trying to get pregnant? Is effexor something that I should stay away from when pregnant? I have been reading all of the posts about the withdraw symptoms and it scares me to death.

aliciamsw is offline New Member

hello. i am in the same boat as you. my husb and i plan on having bubbalahs soon and i am weighing the risks and benefits of weaning of off medications. the bottom line is, any literature that comes with your medications plus anything on Effexor's website will indicate that it is not advised in pregnant and especially breastfeeding women. Some drugs do not permeate the placenta and cross into the fetal blood supply whereas whenever you breastfeed, anything from your bod goes right to the baby (assuming you will plan on breastfeeding.)
    its really good that you are planning ahead like this. the best thing to do would be to talk to your doc about the pros and cons of staying with your meds through your pregnancy. i too have heard of the effexor withdrawals and they are notoriously bad. in the mental health clinic i work at, usually women will taper off of their medications several months before they plan to conceive so that they are "clean" during their conception. this also gives them time to adjust their bodies to being off of meds. plus, you will need to adjust not only to being off of meds, but the hormonal changes that will occur in your pregnant body. my husband and i had a "whoops" pregnancy earlier this year and i decided to go off of my lex (cold turkey) but with the added stress of pregnancy hormones which was a physical and mental nightmare. unfortunately, i lost the pregnancy (not due to the meds) and went back on.
    i think what most doctors will tell you is that you need to decide if you can be off of your meds "safely" while pregnant. that is, if you will be suicidal/homicidal if you are off of them, then you should probably stay on them. most docs are hesitant to prescribe meds to a pregnant woman so if you can manage without your meds, it would most likely be better for your baby's health as medications affect fetuses differently during your different trimesters depending on what is developing at that time.
    you may also want to see if you can switch to a different antidepressant that has been tested on pregnant women and may be safer. that might take the edge off of your withdrawals while giving you a safer option.
    i do know for sure that medications like effexor are not advised while breastfeeding so some of our patients have resumed meds after breastfeeding for a month or so so that the baby can at least get the most colostrum (the good stuff) from the boob and then switch to regular infant formula. it also helped them with the postpartum depression that seems to hit women harder who were already depressed.
    anyway, keep us posted as i know i am in your same position. i am going to titrate down prior to us conceiving and see how it goes.
    Last edited by aliciamsw; 04-11-2007 at 10:55 PM.

drugbuster is offline Banned

Default What Mama takes in... baby takes in.

ALL SSRI and SNRI antidepressants cross the placenta barrier !!! That means baby will be getting a daily dose of whatever antidepressant you are on.

Babies born to mothers on antidepressants are generally smaller and less developed. There is a very high risk of developmental problems.

If you continue on the drugs while pregnant, please remember that as soon as you quit breastfeeding, your baby stops getting a daily dose of the drug and will start having withdrawals.

Check with www.truehope.com and see if they can help you with a natural supplement combination.

Every 5 minutes an American is killed by an FDA approved drug.

Tim Casey

prozackills2002@yahoo.ca

aliciamsw is offline New Member

this person sounds like a major conspiracist..dont let him scare you. talk to your doctors and do your research. i'd like to see where he got his stats from. and no..not all drugs cross the placenta barrier.

drugbuster is offline Banned

Default Just the facts ma'am...

"do your research. i'd like to see where he got his stats from. and no..not all drugs cross the placenta barrier."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Would you like me to start posting all the relevant articles I have access to or would you rather read some personal stories... or both ?

Just google "Prescription drug deaths, USA" and read that 106,000 Americans are killed by "FDA approved" prescription drugs every year. That's 1 every 5 minutes.

80 Americans kill themselves every day... 65 of them are taking an "antidepressant"... 6 of them are children. Just google "USA suicides" and remember that 10% of SSRI and SNRI users are children.

Babies born to mothers taking SSRI and SNRI drugs DO GO THROUGH WITHDRAWALS once the breastfeeding stops !

PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH !!!!

drugs.com has an excellent list of side effects regarding the SSRI and SNRI antidepressants.

Other websites are drugawareness.org and prozactruth.com

Please do your research BEFORE you talk to your doctor. That way you can tell if they know what's going on. You see, ... the more pills you take... the more money your doctor makes...www.nofreelunch.org.

Tim
    prozackills2002@yahoo.ca