Can I Stop Cymbalta After 4 Days?
    aharris77 is offline New Member

Default Can I Stop Cymbalta After 4 Days?

Hi Everyone,

I have been on 30 mg Cymbalta for four days. I hate it. It makes me feel very ill and I don't want to take it.

Can I just stop since it's only been four days or do I need to taper?

My doc is not going to be happy because she was really pushing them but I think it should be my choice.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

Angela

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Post aharris

Quote Originally Posted by aharris77 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have been on 30 mg Cymbalta for four days. I hate it. It makes me feel very ill and I don't want to take it.

Can I just stop since it's only been four days or do I need to taper?

My doc is not going to be happy because she was really pushing them but I think it should be my choice.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

Angela
    Hi Angela, Yes, you can stop taking the cymbalta. After only 4 days you are much less likely to have withdrawl type symptoms although, withdrawl type symptoms are possible. The important thing to consider is if you wish to immediately switch from the cymbalta back to something else. If so, that may be complicated. (we all react differently) When you say that cymbalta "makes you ill" are you reffering to stomache prob's? like nausea, etc? Also, did you do an immediate switch from another med directly to cymbalta? If it was a direct switch then, you'r symptoms may be withdrawl from the previous med (or side's from the new one) These med's can be VERY tricky...ERGH. I hope you feel better soon, let me know if I can help...Peace...Erin

Thanks, Erin!

Here's what happened to get me here:

A year ago, my doc gave me Celexa. I couldn't handle the side effects. At the ten month point the night sweats were unbearable, and the jaw clenching has given me severe TMJ dysfuntion and constant pain. Plus, I didn't feel much better emotionally.

I tapered down from a whole pill, to a half, to a quarter two weeks each taper period. Then I stopped completely and after three weeks the withdrawal got bad. Body tremors, spasms, muscle pain, crying, you name it. My doc kept saying everything is "anxiety" and giving me Xanax (I take .5 mg twice per day)

So I decided to find a new doc.

She reviewed all my symptoms, listened to everything I had to say and prescribed me Cymbalta. I couldn't take it for four days I was so scared. I was so nervous I spit the first one down the sink.

I saw her again and explained my fear and reluctance of this medicine. With her crafty doctor talk, she convinced me to take the medicine.

So I did. The first day was horrible nausea. From there it's been hyperness, no desire for food, sweating, weird head pains every now and again that really scare me. Oh, and I didn't like the liver damage it may cause. I used to drink heavily and while I don't anymore I don't want to take chances with my liver if I don't have to. I also don't want the withdrawal when it's time to go off.

I don't want to be back on this merry-go-round! I want off for good.

I have a feeling I may have to find a third doctor. I just want a doctor who doesn't try to shove antidepressants down my throat.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Smile aharris

From what you said, your symptoms sound like withdrawl from the celexa and not side effects of the cymbalta. I had TMJ type symptoms when I tried to go off Lexapro the first time. If you don't already use one, I reccomend that you get a mouth tray (spacer) to wear at night. That will help some with the TMJ. Also, try taking a magnesium/calcium/ with Vitamin D supplement. You need all 3 ingredients TOGETHER in one formula for optimal benefit...Liquids are best and also cheaper than pill's; also, easier to swallow. For you'r liver: While milk thistle is a great liver cleanser I don't reccomend it while on SSRI med's. You will benefit far more from taking Lecithin, it is great for your liver and is wonderful brain food. Lecithin helps build choline and is part of the building block of inositol which is deficient in the majority of us who have had deppression/ anxiety and panic....So, it sure couldnt hurt. Lecithin gel's are small or you can get it in powder or liquid; also cheap and keeps your liver clean. The magnesium should help the TMJ as it helps with relaxing the muscles. There are alternatives to anti-depressants that are safe. I cannot try any of them until I am completely off of celexa. Enzyme therapies are proving healthy and effective. You can find info on this at www.neurorelief.com their website has an "education" section that details the info and, they have sections for doctors. Check out the site and see what you think. They provide neuro-transmitter testing, something I am looking into having done. I hope some of this help's...Keep me posted...Hope you have a good day...Erin

Thank you so much for the information! I'll post back and update on my progress...

I hope you are feeling better.

I took a single dose of Cymbalta several years ago and had such a bad reaction, chest pains, dizzy to the point of reeling, insomnia, loss of appetite so bad that I could no more think of putting food in my mouth than eating dirt etc. I wasn't expecting any reaction for several weeks so I know I didn't imagine it. Called the doctor the next day any they said open the cap and take half......uh......no way.

Anyway, the day following the first dose I felt slightly better, almost to the point I could see why it "might" help someone. Then day two I thought I'd died my mood was soooooo low and I felt terrible. It got a bit better after that. I still was a mess but it was the same mess I was before that single dose. So about three days to recover from a single dose for me.

I wonder if you're partly still experiencing withdrawal symptoms and the new med was just making your head more confused.

ndomnic is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta

I myself took Cymbalta yesterday along with 2.5 mg of Ambilify and felt like I was in a drug induced temporary psychosis. I felt anxious, restless, my chest hurt, I had a headache in my temples, I even became unreasonably paranoid!

That was the worst experience I have ever had from meds! I think the side effects are Cymbalta are too intense for me. But beyond the side effect I don't think I need a SNRI.

I had much success on Celexa, it was like a miracle for me, but as a newlywed the sexual side effects really were putting a damper on my marriage.

I think I would rather deal with that small issue than ever take Cymbalta again and feel like i'm going insane.

I hope you found something that worked for you.

Ankomst is offline New Member

After 4 days, you should be okay to just stop. I'm not sure you got enough of the medication into your system to actually cause a problem if you stop taking it. Chances are, your body isn't used to it yet, but talk to your doctor before quitting an anti-depressant cold turkey.

I did really well on the Cymbalta, though I had a friend who said his depression was made infinitely worse. I've been on many anti-depressants, and found that Zoloft worked extremely well for me for a long, long time (from about 13-17 years old)... Probably about 3-4 years with no change in dosage. After that time, I had Wellbutrin added to it, and that also worked very well.

Seriously, though, talk to your doctor so they can manage your medications more effectively.

Jen_1 is offline New Member

Default I Quit Cymbalta Cold Turkey After One 30mg Capsule

Quote Originally Posted by hope for the best View Post
    I hope you are feeling better.

I took a single dose of Cymbalta several years ago and had such a bad reaction, chest pains, dizzy to the point of reeling, insomnia, loss of appetite so bad that I could no more think of putting food in my mouth than eating dirt etc. I wasn't expecting any reaction for several weeks so I know I didn't imagine it. Called the doctor the next day any they said open the cap and take half......uh......no way.

Anyway, the day following the first dose I felt slightly better, almost to the point I could see why it "might" help someone. Then day two I thought I'd died my mood was soooooo low and I felt terrible. It got a bit better after that. I still was a mess but it was the same mess I was before that single dose. So about three days to recover from a single dose for me.

I wonder if you're partly still experiencing withdrawal symptoms and the new med was just making your head more confused.
    My Two Cents Worth:

First of all I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has written about their experience of being on Cymbalta and their struggle with Cymbalta withdrawal. I believe that you have saved not only myself but many others from a lot of pain.

I was prescribed Cymbalta 30mg on the 16 April 2012 by my doctor in order to treat depression and anxiety. I was told to 'try it' over the next 7 days to see if I could handle the side effects. He said that in the beginning I would get some nausea but that I should persevere and try to stay on it for at least a month, which is when it would start to work. He never said anything about it possibly damaging my liver or anything about withdrawal symptoms, just that I shouldn't suddenly stop in the middle of the treatment.

I was nervous about taking it but at the time I was desperate for any kind of help. I took one 30mg capsule about 12pm with some lunch (to minimise the nausea) but by 2pm I had a very upset stomach with a lot of wind (gas), slight cramping, a very stiff neck, dry mouth and headache.

Around 4pm I fell asleep (without meaning to) while on the couch. I woke up a couple of hours later feeling completely disorientated, confused and nauseous. I felt so spaced out and like I was still dreaming.

By 7pm I had such bad nausea I couldn't make dinner (much less eat anything) and a very bad headache. I was drinking heaps of water to help with the dry mouth and I also had very bad constipation (something I have to avoid as I have diverticulitis).

The next day (17th April) I felt a lot better (more clear-headed) and decided to Google Cymbalta to find out more about the side effects and if people had experienced the same effects as I had. I became so scared when I read all the forums and support groups for people battling with horrific Cymbalta withdrawal, I decided to quit it then and there.

I decided to go cold turkey simply because I had only taken one capsule and reasoned that it wouldn't have had much effect on me yet. I didn't really want to take a half capsule as I didn't want my body getting used to having the drug in my system anymore than it already had.

The rest of the day I was anxious, shaky and had bad diarrhoea. By bedtime I was headachy (pressure at the back of the head) and with a little neck pain.

I woke up today (18th April) expecting to be in withdrawal hell (48hrs after my first and last capsule)... but I am one of the lucky ones. All I have had to deal with today has been a slight headache in the morning that disappeared once I had breakfast. I am hoping that there is nothing more to worry about now apart from my depression and anxiety issues. I plan to never again consider antidepressants as a treatment and instead try therapy and alternative medicines / treatments instead.

TIP: I have heard that taking 1000mg of Omega 3 fish oil helps with the brain zaps and that Benadryl and Camomile tea is also helpful for the withdrawal symptoms.

To all those still struggling to get off Cymbalta, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers... stay strong and thank you for sharing your stories.

Gmateri is offline New Member

I have been on cymbalta for many yrs now...90 mg for about 7 or 8 yrs. I had to increase because I felt it was no longer helping. At first it was for depression alone,after so many other meds, now I find out it is also helping fibromyalgia. I found out about a yr ago I have fatty livers disease, dr said it isn't anything I have to worry about. I trusted that and left it at that. Now I been reading a lot about different med issues and learned that I DO need to be concerned. I was never told cymbalta would effect my liver! I am so upset right now... My son is picking up milk thistle in hopes of helping some. Now I see the previous post was over a yr ago..lol of course!
    Last edited by Gmateri; 05-26-2013 at 02:09 AM.

caganski924 is offline Junior Member

Angry My skin crawls just thinking about cymbalta

OMG! my doctors (a residency program) INSISTED i needed an anti depressat. blah blah blah, my mother was so sick at the time and we had just lost my dad maybe a year propr. anyways, i took 30 mg for 5 days then doubled to 60 mg. after 12 days, a friend of mine called. as soon as i said hello he said "carol, what in the hell are you taking? whatever it is STOP IT NOW! I can hear it in your voice, you are OUT OF YOUR MIND!" Not knowing any better, i stopped cold turkey after just 12 days of that stuff. my last dose was a tuesday. as i said my mother was so sick she was still in the hospital after 2 maybe 3 months, and by Friday I almost called 911 on myself. my sisiter had to drive 45 minutes cause she thought i was dead. I have kicked like Bruce Lee before from some serious stuff, but Cumbalta? never ever again. I would taper myslef down off of it, if you can. Holy crow, I can't imagine going cold turkey, and would not wish it on anyone.......or seek medical advice. i went through 2 more anti-depressants. My mother was home from the hospital by that time and after day 3 of the 3rd one, Celexa, 10mg. she took my house and car keys, locked me in, told me if i did jot stop taking the medication (the doctors insisted i stay on for NO LESS THAN 14 DAYS) SHE WAS GOING TO SUE THE PANTS OFF OF EVERY LAST DOCTOR IN THAT PRACTICE.